(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this, got nearly $14 off my purchase of a 120GB 360 HD so it's almost paid off already!

Halo Reach and Mass Effect 2 in my gold box today.... this after I just ordered Halo ODST for 47 bucks a couple of days ago..... this ECA discount is making me spend more than usual

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']So honestly, how worth it is it to sign-up for this, at least just to use towards Amazon purchases? I only plan on making 2, 3 at the most gaming purchases by the end of the year, would it be worth it?[/QUOTE]
Well I decided it wasn't worth it for me personally. I figure I would've only made back a few dollars on my purchases for the year, and I didn't want the hassle of having to cancel my membership before they renew it on me because I forgot about it. I've also had trouble with these types of things in the past where they give you the run around and won't let you cancel. So I'd only do it if you're saving at least $15 a year above being even ($30).

[quote name='addicted2games']WOW! I just posted yesterday that I had [way too many games in my goldbox and got even more today and I really really suck and wish I could share my goldbox with people less fortunate than me][/QUOTE]

Don't I know it=/

[quote name='Vortextk']

And a couple questions to anyone that uses their goldbox extensively. Do you rate items? Or do you just browse? How many items are in your history, a small amount looking for things you really want? Or a ton across different genres and consoles looking for any upcoming games? My goldbox shafted me again, two versions of windows, some kind of chews, printer paper, and some beer tube thing.[/QUOTE]

Basically how I treat my goldbox depends on a lot of things...

I've gone the focused route with 2-3 things related to what I want being used for recommendations. This will most of the time get you specific things but also seems to get days of stuff you've never looked at... or even thought about.

I've used lots of games on my use for recommendation list and rated some of 'em... This typically gets more games on the goldbox but prolly a lot of stuff you have no interest in.

The way looks to me... Items you bought weigh the heaviest. Then items you say you own but not bought from amazon. I'm sure ratings of items go on these as well. After that items on you wishlist. Last I think is items you browsed. Wishlist I don't think works unless you have something you bought or own and browsing seems to be very rare.

The key is to try something for a few days then when you stop getting things you're interested in... go in a make some changes.

[quote name='Afflicted']

I've used lots of games on my use for recommendation list and rated some of 'em... This typically gets more games on the goldbox but prolly a lot of stuff you have no interest in.

[/QUOTE]

Hmm i'm gonna try leaving more games in my recommendations see if that helps. Only had the few that I wanted and have been getting anything but games. Thanks for the advice.

[quote name='Francinium']Hmm i'm gonna try leaving more games in my recommendations see if that helps. Only had the few that I wanted and have been getting anything but games. Thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE]

Well I've been using this for a few months... still get a 3 days to a week of crap I'm not interested in every 3-4 weeks. But I guess that could be a good thing tho since I'm not tempted to buy anything... :)

Lol ok I'll give it a shot tomorrow for my gold box, go through some more items and rate some crap. Updated again, the first thing I read had me in stitches. I noticed they were all books, and the first one in the list is:

"A Colossal Failure of Common Sense: The Inside Story..."

Those first three words, oh the truth.

I guess I did buy a couple manga off amazon, and two or three regular paperback books...ugh.

Yesterday I got:
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - $29.74
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - $25.49
Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story - $28.89
Golden Sun - $29.74
Mana Khemia 2: Fall Of Alchemy - $32.29

Today:
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time - $48.44
Mass Effect 2 - $48.44

Not bad at all

So I made a new account because of that 1 time only code issue a week or two ago. Ordered nothing but games, quick picks had some nice games and now this week all I had in quick picks were music cds, dvds and tooth paste WTF seriously?

[quote name='Tracid']all I had in quick picks were music cds, dvds and tooth paste WTF seriously?[/QUOTE]

If you scratch the cds or dvds, you can buy the toothpaste to fix em;)

After a week of waiting, I finally hit the jackpot.

Mario Galaxy 2, Scribblenauts, Metroid: Other M, and Zelda Spirit Tracks all showed up in my gold box today.

For what it's worth, I did a search and had some difficulty finding it, but just posting as a reminder that you can order multiple items in your gold box. Just "add to cart" in a new tab, and you should get the gold box discount for everything.

[quote name='thegilby']How long is it supposed to take before they send you the confirmation registration email? Registered like 4 hours ago, still no email[/QUOTE]

Check your spam folder. My ECA email was sent there for some reason.

I don't have an ECA membership yet, but I was wondering if this discount would work on any videogame-related purchase that's listed on Amazon.com, but not necessarily sold/shipped by seller Amazon.com?

(not in OP, and do not want to browse 30 pages)

Anybody else having issues trying to sign up for the ECA membership today? I registered for the web-site a couple of weeks ago but now it won't let me get to the page to get the paid registration. I am logged in but keep getting the following:

"
Please login to see this content

If you are using a bookmarked page, the page may have been deleted or moved. If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact us regarding the page. Please remember to include the URL.
We thank you for visiting The ECA"

[quote name='dieresis']I don't have an ECA membership yet, but I was wondering if this discount would work on any videogame-related purchase that's listed on Amazon.com, but not necessarily sold/shipped by seller Amazon.com?

(not in OP, and do not want to browse 30 pages)[/QUOTE]
Only games sold and shipped by Amazon.com

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Only games sold and shipped by Amazon.com[/QUOTE]
Thanks,
but does that include games "Fulfilled by Amazon"? Those with the "Fulfillment by Amazon" are from non-Amazon sellers, but apparently are "Stored, Packed & Shipped by Amazon!"??

FINALLY! There's finally some decent games in my Goldbox! Prime Trilogy, Mario Galaxy 2, and Mario & Luigi Browser's Inside Story... ordered all 3.:D

Now, if only Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian would show up...

Hmm, I want to sign up for this, but I don't want to pay $19.99. I gave it my .edu student email, but it still wants to charge me full price. Is there something special that I need to do to get the discount? Also, is there any way to set it to NOT auto-renew after a year? I really don't want it to do that.

All I've seen in the last week is Professor Layton & The Diabolical Box and Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles. Kind of hoping for Dissidia again and at least Madden 10.. anything else at all is a bonus right now.

Seems a lot of people are having issues signing up lately. I had the same problem of not being able to access the member area due to the activation email not arriving. I received the confirmation email for their newsletter just fine, but the email containing a link and instructions for paying membership dues never arrived.

I was trying to have it sent to unfiltered email that I host on my own web server and it just wasn't arriving. Finally, after trying a few different email addresses and resending the activation email many many times via their web site, I received the email and was able to complete the membership process.

I wonder how much money they lose on a daily basis due to this stupid registration system. Had I not been as determined to register, I would have probably just wrote them off after failing to activate two accounts in a row with two different email addresses.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Hmm, I want to sign up for this, but I don't want to pay $19.99. I gave it my .edu student email, but it still wants to charge me full price. Is there something special that I need to do to get the discount? Also, is there any way to set it to NOT auto-renew after a year? I really don't want it to do that.[/QUOTE]

Could somebody answer this for me, as well?

My questions are two fold:

1: How do you take advantage of the students discount.

2: What happens when the codes expire? Are more generated?

Yes, they will provide new codes after the old ones expire, though there has usually been a period of a few days-week between the expiration of old codes and the creation of new ones.

All I did was input my student address and they said my fee would be 14.99. There are no boxes to check or things to fill out differently other than your e-mail. If it doesn't work I guess you might try contacting them.

[quote name='j0ey0ey']i'm still paranoid about this. feels like too good to be true sorta thing.[/QUOTE]

It's just a 10% off coupon... you have mighty low standards if you consider that too good to be true ;)

But seriously, people have been using ECA coupons for months, there's nothing to worry about. The ECA and Amazon will inevitably screw up the coupons a few more times, but as long as you can tolerate the occasional mishap, you'll be fine.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']It's just a 10% off coupon... you have mighty low standards if you consider that too good to be true ;)

But seriously, people have been using ECA coupons for months, there's nothing to worry about. The ECA and Amazon will inevitably screw up the coupons a few more times, but as long as you can tolerate the occasional mishap, you'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

hmm something interesting... walmart.com is selling membership cards http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10721308

guess that gives 'em a bit of cred ;)

also tho would be nice cause you wouldn't have to worry about autorenewal.

Man, I'm loving this discount. Only 15 bucks, and so far I've saved:

$25.00 on Beatles: Rock Band Bundle (PS3)
$15.00 on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2- Prestige Edition (PS3)
$7.00 on Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition (PS3)
$4.70 on Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
$4.70 on Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
$4.70 on Little King's Story (Wii)
$3.70 on Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP)
$3.70 on Shin Megami Tensai: Persona (PSP)
---
$68.50 already, plus Gold Box deals and two of those 50% off coupons (used on Beatles and MW2).

This is why you rock CAG.

I noticed a couple of people not getting the verification email? I got the newsletter email right away but its been a day and I still haven't gotten one for me to link and pay. Have there been difficulties with the .edu emails?

[quote name='Afflicted']hmm something interesting... walmart.com is selling membership cards http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10721308

guess that gives 'em a bit of cred ;)

also tho would be nice cause you wouldn't have to worry about autorenewal.[/QUOTE]
For those non-military/non-student, extra cheapasses (and who isn't on CAG?), use Bing Cashback to get 5% cashback: http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=ECA+Membership+Card+(Universal)&go=&form=QBRE
[quote name='wampa8jedi']Target.com sells them as well, per the ECA website.[/QUOTE]
For those of you that want the Target.com link: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...t/191-3040019-5569241?ie=UTF8&asin=B002DN7XS4

Personally, I'd go with walmart.com's $19.86 (13¢ cheaper than target.com) with free site-to-store shipping and 5% Bing Cashback.

Finally, finally, finally my Gold Box is back to life. Spent about an hour Sunday disabling my browsing history, going through recommendations, rating games, and dumping all my wish-list games out (I didn't realize that if you have a game in your wish-list it's not going to show up in your Gold Box :( ).

Hit a mini-jackpot today:
First-order (preorders):
-Metroid Other M
-Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
-Golden Sun DS (YAY)
-Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Second-order
-Wii Sports Resort
-Chrono Trigger (one day after dumping from my wish-list)

Passed on:
-Madworld (I'm waiting this to drop a lot lower)
-Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Now I'm really just looking for Demon Soul's LE, Scribblenauts, and Dissidia and I can be done for awhile!

I'm just glad I remembered Amazon has an odd policy of not shipping out an order if you have pre-orders in it, so that's why I have to make two orders or I'd be waiting awhile. D=

[quote name='Ndolger']Hit a mini-jackpot today:
First-order (preorders):
-Metroid Other M
-Golden Sun DS (YAY)
[/QUOTE]
You suck. I did this all weekend until my entire recommendations page was filled with the exact games that I want. This morning I got some retarded DS game completely unrelated to anything and a bunch of items not even gaming related.

[quote name='Ndolger']Finally, finally, finally my Gold Box is back to life. Spent about an hour Sunday disabling my browsing history, going through recommendations, rating games, and dumping all my wish-list games out (I didn't realize that if you have a game in your wish-list it's not going to show up in your Gold Box :( ).

Hit a mini-jackpot today:
First-order (preorders):
-Metroid Other M
-Golden Sun DS (YAY)

Second-order
-Wii Sports Resort
-Chrono Trigger (one day after dumping from my wish-list)

Passed on:
-Madworld (I'm waiting this to drop a lot lower)
-Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box[/QUOTE]

Enjoy it, since it won't last. I did the same thing and had a nice Gold Box for a couple days, but today it contains batteries, a knife sharpener, a vegetable brush, and a motion sensing light. :bomb:

Will pre-ordering an item prevent it from appearing in your Gold Box?

[quote name='Jodou']You suck. I did this all weekend until my entire recommendations page was filled with the exact games that I want. This morning I got some retarded DS game completely unrelated to anything and a bunch of items not even gaming related.[/QUOTE]

Hey better than me at least. I did all that stuff and today I got 2 books and nothing else in my Gold Box.

Got in on Rhythm Heaven for 10 bucks today, so not all bad news.

[quote name='Mysterio']Will pre-ordering an item prevent it from appearing in your Gold Box?[/QUOTE]

Yes. And amazon will ship in-stock items at their convenience without waiting for items that are pre-ordered when purchased together.

I still don't want to pre-order Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, but it'll keep showing up. But I guess I can expect this after getting Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days & Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles this weekend.

hmm the 10% off coupon does not work with the nba2k10 anniversary edition
damn now I'm tempted to just buy the TE stick for an extra $10...

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']hmm the 10% off coupon does not work with the nba2k10 anniversary edition
damn now I'm tempted to just buy the TE stick for an extra $10...[/QUOTE]Must be recent, since it worked for me a few weeks ago when I pre-ordered it.

I preordered Halo ODST when it was $55.99 = $50.39 after $5.61 ECA discount then they added a retroactive $10 credit toward your next game purchase = Halo ODST for $40.39 shipped since I'm resigned to future Amazon game purchases already.

Out of curiosity, how does this discount work on other discounts?

In other words, if I were to purchase a product for $100, used the 50% off promotion code, would the 10% discount be applied to the original price, or the discounted price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back