(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
my edu address gets all emails including spam. i mean i get at least 20 spam emails a day. I've been clicking resend validation email at least 30 times, and not one email came from eca. I tried a regular email for kicks at hotmail and I get the eca email instantaneously. I just can't help feel they want you to pay $20 instead of $15, which i don't mind but still. I tried contacting but no luck.

[quote name='backseatdog'] I just can't help feel they want you to pay $20 instead of $15, which i don't mind but still. I tried contacting but no luck.[/QUOTE]

Then explain how many other people, myself included, used a .edu address. There is a problem somewhere, obviously, but that conclusion really seems overblown.

[quote name='doubledown']I wonder if I should send something to a different contact account...still no response from the,m[/QUOTE]

What e-mail address are you sending your problem to? I had (and am still having) the same problem. I did get a response (actually many responses) within a day of e-mailing the web @ theeca . com e-mail address.

Guys. I think ECA and Amazon are linked now.

I shit you not.

SO I go to Amazon and see that it says "Raiden IV Limited Edition" and has a picture of the soundtrack disc with it. Yes. I get to burn Gamestop again. Too bad the game has been delayed till OCTOBER 18th. *sigh* So after Amazon's discounted price of $36.99 I used a $5 general credit that Amazon gave me since they didn't give me my $5 mp3 credit. And then $3.70 because of my ECA membership.* Comes out to $28.29. Consider my support pledged!

*Thing is, the ECA promotion for it was already applied before I put the code in. I even tried putting another code in to see what would happen and it didn't work. We'll see what happens when I order or pre-order another game or accessory but if it's doing it automatically now....

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Not seeming to be linked for me, just tried with a few games and it didn't give me the credit.

You probably had a leftover code from a past abandoned cart or something.

[quote name='Justin42']Not seeming to be linked for me, just tried with a few games and it didn't give me the credit.

You probably had a leftover code from a past abandoned cart or something.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I probably did then. I didn't know codes lasted in there that long.

I have a 10% off next order code from when amazon trade-in first started it. This is automatically applied when I add a game to the cart. When I apply my ECA code, the discount stays at 10%. Does that mean these two discounts don't stack? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Just a question (and sorry if it's been asked and answered already, 75 pages is taking awhile to get through): when I sign up for the membership, does the year of membership start on that date, or is there some set time to the membership year?

Basically I don't want to sign up for it now and have my membership run out at the end of December or some other occurrence like that.

[quote name='FeralWraith']Just a question (and sorry if it's been asked and answered already, 75 pages is taking awhile to get through): when I sign up for the membership, does the year of membership start on that date, or is there some set time to the membership year?

Basically I don't want to sign up for it now and have my membership run out at the end of December or some other occurrence like that.[/QUOTE]
The year starts when you join.

Will they stop doing the Amazon discount on 9/30 or is that just when the codes we get now expire (so people can't hoard them)? I'm a little confused by the wording.

I finally used my 50% off coupons before they expire. I pre-ordered DJ Hero and Tekken 6 yesterday. Today My Gold Boxes were filled with some pretty good stuff. From what I remember Uncharted 2, God of War 2, Halo ODST, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mana Khemia, Ratchet and Clank a Crack in Time, and a few others. Prior to this I've only been getting one game across my accounts.

So it might help if you preorder something. I plan on buying most of them. My account that I've been buying stuff on is still giving me diapers. I'm going to preorder something on that account and see if it will catch up to the others.

[quote name='speedrunner17']
So it might help if you preorder something.[/QUOTE]

What pisses me off is I did pre-order the batman CE on ps3 and still no change, since then or after it shipped. Guess I'll just do some bogus pre-orders.

My Gold box items are usually so horrible that I wasn't even going to check them today. I'm glad I did. I still don't get the Gold Box though. I buy only games and It still won't give me any. One of my accounts I bought ink, and since then everything is computer related. I think there is something wrong with the game picks.

somebody posted a link helping me out with your very problem. You just click everything you purchase and say they are not to be used for recomendations. Just look back a few posts. I was the same way, i changed them, and now i got odst on my first day since the change. Bought it for 51$ with the 15$ in giftcards.

Anyone have any clue whats going to happen tomorrow? I mean, they just got a new batch of codes from Amazon last week. Will they still expire?

Holy hell.

I think Amazon finally got the quick picks right/fixed. I'm getting a bunch of pre-order stuff. Like Metroid M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Heavy Rain. ECA is so damn awesome.

I think it's about time I signed up for this thing. I love Amazon, but hate the fact they're based in Washington -- so tax for me. ECA alleviates some of that tax, I guess. >_>

[quote name='dcm1602']I wish they had a discount for newegg since newegg doesnt charge sales tax in NY =([/QUOTE]

I know. It sucks that Amazon has to charge tax, but they still blow anyone else away with the deals they have. Almost every game I want is already at least $3 less than anybody else and sometimes comes with a giftcard. Combining this with ECA makes some nice deals.

[quote name='Grimm Fandango']Still waiting for the new account confirmation email in my school email. Been a few hours now :([/QUOTE]

I've been waiting 2 days now....apparently some .EDU have issues.

The idiots at my school intentionally make their website as difficult as fucking possible to do anything. It's amazing... Yet, they have a website/user interface major...

Doubtful I'll be able to do this membership...

how long will this promotion lasts?

on their website it said the code expires on Sept 30th, so are they gonna continue to offer new codes after that?

[quote name='lawl']Will they stop doing the Amazon discount on 9/30 or is that just when the codes we get now expire (so people can't hoard them)? I'm a little confused by the wording.[/QUOTE]

I have the same question.

What exactly is ending on 9/30? Will the ECA program continue after this date? And does this effect a person trying to get into the ECA program right now, like myself.

Or should i wait after 9/30 or something. :lol:

No one knows what is happening on 10/1 aside from the fact that this batch of codes will be useless.

We are all hoping they just release a new batch with a new expiration but we don't know. The Terms of Use states than any discount can be changed at any time without notice so those on the fence might want to hold off if they dont have enough shopping to do to justify the cost now

I joined couple months ago and already got more than $ 14.99 that I paid. Why wait? Join Now. :)

Here is my discount so far:
RB Beatles SE - $ 25
SF 4 TE Stick - $ 15
COD: MW2 PE - $ 15
X41 - $ 19.85
Tiger Woods 10 - $ 5.30
2 x Batman Arkham for 360 - 2 x $ 5.30

Total: $ 90.75 discount less than 2 months...

yeah i joined one month ago and my savings so far are:

Kingdom Hearts 358/2- $3.40
Halo 3: ODST- $5.50
Tekken 6 Bundle- $15
Batman Arkham Asylum- $5.30
5 x Tales of Vesperia- $7.49
4 x Virtua Tennis- $7.99
Rhythm Heaven- $2.80

Total: $47.48 in less then 30 days, i'm basically at the same rate as you gi60 :lol:

[quote name='kodave']Don't forget that this program cost you $15-20 in the first place, so you have to save that much first to break even.[/QUOTE]

All you have to spend is $150-$200 during a whole year to get your money back. That is easy with games costing $40-$60 or more for collector editions. I have already saved over $100 in the 2 months I have been a member (mostly preorders). Totally worth the cost to join.

Will there not be anymore Amazon codes for the next 9 months or so after Sept. 30th? It says they expire on the 30th, but their site and you say "spend $150 - $200 or more the *whole year*" - but they expire in a month? Will other codes be generated later? Or are they just saying you can use it on pre orders?

[quote name='Magic_Knight']Will there not be anymore Amazon codes for the next 9 months or so after Sept. 30th? It says they expire on the 30th, but their site and you say "spend $150 - $200 or more the *whole year*" - but they expire in a month? Will other codes be generated later? Or are they just saying you can use it on pre orders?[/QUOTE]
I believe the 'expires on 9/30/2009' is so people don't horde the codes on games they don't want, just to use them later. When you cancel a pre-order that used one of the single-use codes, you can technically reuse it on something else (or you can keep regenerating a code, but the system might check to see if the previous one was used). However, the codes currently generated will be invalid if used after 9/30.

Lots of people were pre-ordering games they never had the intent to buy, thus keeping all the codes for themselves. Many more were just generating codes to stockpile for a rainy day. I'm also guessing they (ECA) realized that a select few users were just keeping them so they can sell them on eBay or whatnot.

[quote name='Magic_Knight']Will there not be anymore Amazon codes for the next 9 months or so after Sept. 30th? It says they expire on the 30th, but their site and you say "spend $150 - $200 or more the *whole year*" - but they expire in a month? Will other codes be generated later? Or are they just saying you can use it on pre orders?[/QUOTE]
You must be new to the thread ;)

It has taken between 3 days to a little over one week to replenish the codes each time they have either run out or expired before the stock was depleted.

[quote name='Traitorious']You must be new to the thread ;)

It has taken between 3 days to a little over one week to replenish the codes each time they have either run out or expired before the stock was depleted.[/QUOTE]
That's not the same thing. You're talking about the 9/30 expiration code stock running out and being replenished; his question is about whether the program is going to be renewed past 9/30 at all.

[quote name='Monroeski']That's not the same thing. You're talking about the 9/30 expiration code stock running out and being replenished; his question is about whether the program is going to be renewed past 9/30 at all.[/QUOTE]

You must also be new to this thread (sorry for the snark).

His response was dead on.

Every few months, the batch of codes expires. After the expiration, they take 3 days to a week to get a new set. The program doesn't end on 9/30, just the codes they currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back