(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Good thing I hoarded 5, scratch that I only got 1 left after I ordered BRB, GH5, those cymbals, and ToV, codes as soon as the codes came back last time. I paid $15 so I deserve more codes than any free members. I said it and I meant it. Gotta preorder borderlands, AC2, scribblenauts, and probably a new PnC kit too. Now I'm pissed like the rest of you guys, only one code left. I guess it goes to borderlands since it comes out the soonest.

I emailed them about a prorated refund, but no response.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind like I posted above that you can order ALL of those things in one order and simply apply your last ECA code there and get the discount on all of them.

It worked on the 2 things I ordered tonight anyway.

[quote name='io']Keep in mind like I posted above that you can order ALL of those things in one order and simply apply your last ECA code there and get the discount on all of them.

It worked on the 2 things I ordered tonight anyway.[/QUOTE]

I guess thats what I'll do but I have a few games I am sending soon, by tues it has to be. But that would give me the credit I need to order the things I want.

I also preordered HALO3ODSTDSTTSD so could I order 4 games, Halo included, with one code. Then cancel Halo and that would give me another code applied to my account?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']
I also preordered HALO3ODSTDSTTSD so could I order 4 games, Halo included, with one code. Then cancel Halo and that would give me another code applied to my account?[/QUOTE]

I never even thought of that. It doesn't seem like it would work to me, but who knows? Try it ;).

I used about 6 codes today, but they were all for preorders and not hoarded. Glad I got mine before they ran out. I just paid for this last week doh.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I guess thats what I'll do but I have a few games I am sending soon, by tues it has to be. But that would give me the credit I need to order the things I want.

I also preordered HALO3ODSTDSTTSD so could I order 4 games, Halo included, with one code. Then cancel Halo and that would give me another code applied to my account?[/QUOTE]

I've tried that. Doesn't work =(

[quote name='lee7sauce']I've tried that. Doesn't work =([/QUOTE]

gahhhh, i guess I gotta wait until more codes come or wait until my trade in gets accepted and then order the 3 games i want.

Is there a way to transfer credit to another account. gift certificates of something like that? becauce I canceled a order on my other account since I only had $11 left and thought I had more. I checked and the code is still applied.

Well, I'm confused. Apparently I had an account since Jan that I never used. So no more Amazon coupons? I just logged on and I don't see any way of generating coupons

[quote name='dmdragon']I used about 6 codes today, but they were all for preorders and not hoarded. Glad I got mine before they ran out. I just paid for this last week doh.[/QUOTE]

why the hell did you take 6 codes.. i would call that hoarding you could put all 6 games in one basket and one code would took 10% off all games...

emailed eca and see what they say about this but i call total BS if no more codes are made.

eca knew what they were doing when they gave that code to game informer... More like noone was joining the site so they go

We know our paying members tell people they get 10% off so lets put out a free code in a mag to get 100,000s more people to flock to our piss ass site to make it look to our sponcers that we have 100,000s of paying members instead of the 1000 paying people.. and screw over the people who gave us the money

i will go on record and state right now, if there are no more codes i will be contacting everyone who has a ad on eca and telling them I will not deal with a company that puts ads on a site that screws over its customers and i hope the rest of the paying members does the same

yea ECA you might have 100,000 of hits this past weekend but yets see how long you last when all of your sponcers leave

Given what has happened in the past with ECA codes running out, it was only logical that this was going to happen. This should not be a surprise to anybody - this thread has 28,000+ views and the one on SD has 32,000+ views. And I'm sure it's on FW and other deal sites as well.

Ugh I've been waiting to get Demon's Souls in my Gold Box so I can preorder it with my discount. I have PS3 games in my Gold Box every day this week too. Looks like I'll end up paying full price. Thanks slickdeals. :roll: I paid for my membership too!

Just wanted to say Wow to the give away of accounts on the ECA. I thought it was crazy that you could get a student account for 15 dollars and get all of the discounts that they offered but to just give away 10% off discounts can not be smart on someones part. No doubt they will be forgoing the amazon discount soon.

I made my money back already so I'm not entirely pissed off but it really is a shame that they did this. They should have had a week only free preview membership. Maybe if enough of us send emails they will cancel all the free accounts. If its going to be free it should have been free for everyone.

I'm glad I generated a few codes before they ran out. I'm waiting to make a few purchases this month but am holding off as long as possible to renew my Prime membership. It was pretty obvious they were going to run out of codes shortly after they started giving away memberships for free. At least I'm getting my $20 worth.

[quote name='DefeatUForever']I made my money back already so I'm not entirely pissed off but it really is a shame that they did this. They should have had a week only free preview membership. Maybe if enough of us send emails they will cancel all the free accounts. If its going to be free it should have been free for everyone.[/QUOTE]

So everyone who purchased a PS3 for $399 and more should get a refund of the difference since it is now $299? I can understand why someone who just purchased this membership one week ago may be somewhat upset however that is how things go sometimes. I myself would have never picked up a membership without the deal they offered for a free one. Now....I will see the benefits and pay next year when it is time to renew. The same goes for the PS3.....there were people that were not going to buy a PS3 until it reached a certain price. It finally reached a price where we are now seeing first time PS3 owners coming into the market. Sony without a doubt is going to gain market share with the slim and price reduction. Should I receive a refund of $200 because I decided to buy one a couple of years ago? Of course not..that is absurd. I paid $500.00 as I felt it was worth $500 and today I still feel it was worth the money.

This stuff happens every day...every week...every month. It will continue to happen again and again. I know something will go down in price if I wait long enough and that is what it comes down to in the end. How long do I want to wait for a price that I like? There are many people who pay top dollar for things when they first hit the market. There are many other people who sit back with patience and wait for a price they want to pay for games or systems. I myself find it very hard to pay more than $30-$40 for a game so I wait and refuse to pay $60.00 for a game upon release. If I buy a brand new game like Red Faction for $60.00 then one week later it can be bought for $39.99 which actually did happen....should I be entitled to a refund? Absolutely not...... :)

[quote name='rcavictor1956']So everyone who purchased a PS3 for $399 and more should get a refund of the difference since it is now $299? I can understand why someone who just purchased this membership one week ago may be somewhat upset however that is how things go sometimes. I myself would have never picked up a membership without the deal they offered for a free one. Now....I will see the benefits and pay next year when it is time to renew. The same goes for the PS3.....there were people that were not going to buy a PS3 until it reached a certain price. It finally reached a price where we are now seeing first time PS3 owners coming into the market. Sony without a doubt is going to gain market share with the slim and price reduction. Should I receive a refund of $200 because I decided to buy one a couple of years ago? Of course not..that is absurd. I paid $500.00 as I felt it was worth $500 and today I still feel it was worth the money.

This stuff happens every day...every week...every month. It will continue to happen again and again. I know something will go down in price if I wait long enough and that is what it comes down to in the end. How long do I want to wait for a price that I like? There are many people who pay top dollar for things when they first hit the market. There are many other people who sit back with patience and wait for a price they want to pay for games or systems. I myself find it very hard to pay more than $30-$40 for a game so I wait and refuse to pay $60.00 for a game upon release. If I buy a brand new game like Red Faction for $60.00 then one week later it can be bought for $39.99 which actually did happen....should I be entitled to a refund? Absolutely not...... :)[/QUOTE]I would agree with you if I paid for ECA two months ago but there are a lot of us probably, me included, who paid for our accounts less than a month ago and we don't get a refund. I'm not saying I should be entitled for one but it's pretty sad that they cannot at least give more recent orders refunds. For example, most stores let you price match within 15 days so if you bought a PS3 for $399 and it later drops to $299 the following week then you WILL get $100 back. With the ECA membership being offered for free out of no where and those of us who just recently paid $15 or $20 not even 15 or 30 days ago, we don't get our money back. I only paid $15 for my account but I'm still a bit annoyed, but at least it was worth it so far.

Ok. I was thinking of signing up for an ECA membership but did not (payed of course). So, these 10% Amazon codes, from reading I take it you can get multiples, but one by itself, IMO, isn't much of a savings. Are they stackable?

[quote name='io']I just made an order with Demon's Souls and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain (since it was in my gold box).[/QUOTE]
Wait, did you get both in you quick picks? We've got quite a few people trying to get Demon's Souls and it would be nice to have a confirmation.

[quote name='lee7sauce']From my perspective, offering free membership 3 weeks before the codes expire is telling members (paid or non-paid) that there probably won't be codes in October and beyond.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they've known for a while now and the free accounts were a reactionary step. Why not lure in as many people now when you're not worthless and hope that people forget to cancel? That's what I'd do.

On a side note, I e-mailed them point-blank asking if they're working to replenish the codes, so we'll see if I get a response. I'll let you guys know when I do.

heads up think the codes might be dead and ECA might be given everyone who paid 5.00

went into buy something else today and noticed a 5.00 promo credit.. amazon said they did not give it to me... I had no credits left as of thursday and nothing was return or sold to amazon....

Wonder where that 5.00 promo credit came from.. amazon says it did not come from them

anyone else get a 5 buck promo credit for something

lol... the eca isn't stupid.

it's in their best interest to run the current amazon codes out and then have all those who joined for free to pay up for premium services and discounts or something.

i got a 5.00 promo credit too

Seeing as though I rarely buy games new (I wait until I can get them 50% cheaper, 6 months after release), I guess this doesn't really effect me, so I never joined, and now with no more Amazon codes, I will not join.

Can anybody explain to me what the actual benefits ARE for ECA (if indeed Amazon codes are never again given out)?

[quote name='crewj']i got a 5.00 promo credit too[/QUOTE]
Were you able to apply this to an existing order or was it only when you went to purchase something new? It doesn't appear I got any such credit. :(

Also, how could they even tie your Amazon account to the ECA one other than you using ECA codes? I guess they could figure out who deserves the credit by filtering purchases that date back to before the free accounts.

Ummm.....this new promotional code is weird. It's giving me the 10% ECA discount, but it's scaling with the number of items in my basket (ie: this one code is giving me 10% off 5 games currently).

I was going to say that maybe amazon & ECA had cut a deal to not have codes anymore, and just give 10% off to their users amazon account, but how would they really know that?

One thing I CAN say, is it wasn't in my account 2 hours ago.

[quote name='Oceaniax']Ummm.....this new promotional code is weird. It's giving me the 10% ECA discount, but it's scaling with the number of items in my basket (ie: this one code is giving me 10% off 5 games currently)[/QUOTE]

Sure you didn't accidentally add a code in there sometime ago? They'll stay. And yes the code will apply to your entire cart full of gaming items now, that's been changed for awhile.

[quote name='Vortextk']Sure you didn't accidentally add a code in there sometime ago? They'll stay. And yes the code will apply to your entire cart full of gaming items now, that's been changed for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Always a possibility, although I didn't spy it there last night when I was trying to buy bower's inside story & Scribblenauts.

How are you guys getting the $5 promotional credit? Is there a code on the ECA website or something? I don't see how they would be able to put a credit in your Amazon account seeing as they don't have access.

Alright, so I have a question and hopefully it hasn't been answered, but I don't really feel like digging through 80+ pages at the moment.

How do I sign up to get this? I've registered, but am unable to find any type of place to put in my info and get started.

Wow, just tried to use my free ECA membership to discover the whole no promo codes thing. I feel bad for you guys that paid for this.

[quote name='safire']Wow, just tried to use my free ECA membership to discover the whole no promo codes thing. I feel bad for you guys that paid for this.[/QUOTE]

Well, don't :). I've saved more than the $15 I paid for the membership.

Last edited by a moderator:
feel sorry for the guys who recently signed up and hasnt recovered the 15 bucks they paid for! i`ve saved more than the cost of membership but still pissed. at the same time they`re a business after all however they did present their service the wrong way

[quote name='michaelericalonzo']feel sorry for the guys who recently signed up and hasnt recovered the 15 bucks they paid for! i`ve saved more than the cost of membership but still pissed. at the same time they`re a business after all however they did present their service the wrong way[/QUOTE]

It was already known that the codes would expire in 9/30, which is only half a month away. I guess if you were holding off on some purchases until that date, then you got screwed. But otherwise I would hope that most people got in orders waaay before that.

I'd like to go on record and apologize for using multiple codes not realizing I could just put 6 things in my cart and use one code. I've bought maybe 20 games since getting a membership, all with different codes. I was unaware and was not intending to prevent others from doing so as well.

Motherfucker! Persona finally shows up in my Gold Box after several weeks of trying to get it in there, and now the codes are dead. I am not happy right now.

How are the codes "dead"? There are two more PS3 titles in my Gold Box that I can apply the codes to with no problems at all. Plus, for some reason the ECA codes get automatically applied without me having to generate any codes on the ECA web site.

[quote name='earvcunanan']How are the codes "dead"? There are two more PS3 titles in my Gold Box that I can apply the codes to with no problems at all.[/QUOTE]

If you already had some codes saved up that you haven't redeemed, they still work fine. The ECA site isn't providing new codes, though, it's just coming up with the last one they gave you.

[quote name='earvcunanan']Plus, for some reason the ECA codes get automatically applied without me having to generate any codes on the ECA web site.[/QUOTE]

You must have already had a code redeemed on your Amazon account that you haven't used yet.

[quote name='dizee']Yup. Last guardian is in my gold box and no ECA codes now.[/QUOTE]

I have it in my Gold Box too. Try this: add it to your cart and proceed with the checkout process. See if Amazon applied the ECA discount since that's what happens to mine without generating any codes.

[quote name='saiyajinsc']are they out of codes? I keep trying to get a new one but the same code shows up[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are out of codes. It's over with and ECA is no longer worth it if you got it for Amazon discounts.

So could you, for instance, having one code left: Load up your cart with lots of games that you would have bought anyways and the code should discount 10% off each game, right?

Is it a definite that there won't be any more codes? I can't imagine them advertising the offer and people signing up with the intent to use those codes. That's bait and switch

Bait and switch? Read the site. It can be stopped at any time(much like anything you EVER sign up for in the entire world today) and considering everyone signing up in the past few days has signed up for free, I don't know how you people think any of this shit is shady. Seriously.

[quote name='Vortextk']Bait and switch? Read the site. It can be stopped at any time(much like anything you EVER sign up for in the entire world today) and considering everyone signing up in the past few days has signed up for free, I don't know how you people think any of this shit is shady. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

You mean besides the fact that if I go on the website and it clearly lists it as a benefit of membership? I'm not saying the company is shady. But they should be up front on whether something will be activated again

[quote name='Vortextk']Right now we're simply out of codes. They could restock as they have done in the past, we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really! I don't know why everyone is spazzing out over this. It's happened 3-4 times, at least. And every time they've gotten new codes replenished within a week at the longest. And the 9/30/09 date is the end of the calendar quarter. Remember when all the codes just died on 6/30/09? I hardly think the fact a coupon code has an expiration date means ECA will no longer have codes after 9/30/09, it just means Amazon doesn't want codes out there for perpetuity.

No need to run around screaming "The sky is falling!", especially on a weekend. Let's wait and see what they have to say on Monday.

[quote name='Justin42']Yeah, really! I don't know why everyone is spazzing out over this. It's happened 3-4 times, at least. And every time they've gotten new codes replenished within a week at the longest. And the 9/30/09 date is the end of the calendar quarter. Remember when all the codes just died on 6/30/09? I hardly think the fact a coupon code has an expiration date means ECA will no longer have codes after 9/30/09, it just means Amazon doesn't want codes out there for perpetuity.

No need to run around screaming "The sky is falling!", especially on a weekend. Let's wait and see what they have to say on Monday.[/QUOTE]

+1 to this.

But it's the internet, what do you expect people to say?

Jesus; so I finally got a 10 dollar off Wii Sports Resort code, and I can't get a a new ECA code to bring it down, and now I realized it's because the offer has been raped by these freebie users.

This is bullshit

[quote name='lolwut?']Jesus; so I finally got a 10 dollar off Wii Sports Resort code, and I can't get a a new ECA code to bring it down, and now I realized it's because the offer has been raped by these freebie users.

This is bullshit[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really -- if it wasn't bad enough that they made this free membership offer less than a week after I paid to join, now those free members have wiped out the codes (at least for now) as well. fuckers.

And no, the sky isn't falling, but to have this happen on the day that the item that I've been waiting for finally appears in my Gold Box really, really sucks. And I don't have until Monday or whenever for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back