(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ProggleRock']There's now a notice in the Member Benefits Section:

• The resale of ECA member benefits is a breach of the ECA Membership Agreement and will result in the immediate termination of such person's membership without remuneration.
  • The partners below provide the respective discounts, special offers and incentives to ECA members in the way of their choosing and on their own terms. Offers may change without notice and are subject to the sponsor’s discretion. If codes run out, they will be replenished as quickly as possible. We thank you in advance for your patience. For more information, please visit our Forums.
  • We encourage members who enjoy using these benefits to write our partners, thank them for supporting the association and supporting gamers and gaming, and share your experiences with them. Like any other service business, they don’t often hear from customers when things are going well and that feedback can only be good for fostering these and additional partnerships.

I say we write a gigantic CAG love letter to Amazon. Who's in?[/QUOTE]

No. I would thank ECA.

The stacking was a glitch... which there will be more of those in the future. That's what happens when electronic coupons get into the hands of CAGers. If it would have been a pdf, it could have been printed dozens of times for some users. There will be some loophole in the future.

I guess if you found the glitch by cancelling (as others have posted), does that make it more ethical?

Congrats to all those who got a good deal!

I read the last 6 or so pages, and I'm still a little confused. Will codes that are attached to your account stick around, or will they all disappear? I think I got 2 J or L codes still in my account, but I'm debating whether or not to just use it up or just save it for later.

[quote name='cupcakex1']I read the last 6 or so pages, and I'm still a little confused. Will codes that are attached to your account stick around, or will they all disappear? I think I got 2 J or L codes still in my account, but I'm debating whether or not to just use it up or just save it for later.[/QUOTE]
Like we would know. If you have stuff you want to order, then just do it. If they don't go away, well you can just cancel later.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Meh, this will most likely be back with a code tied to your account. No big deal...[/QUOTE]

maybe but more likely they will be expiring codes. Codes that expire with 24-48 of being redeemed on the site if not used. If you cancel the order you lose the code and need a new one to get the promotional 10% off as they will not stay attached to your Amazon account like they do now.

[quote name='cupcakex1']I read the last 6 or so pages, and I'm still a little confused. Will codes that are attached to your account stick around, or will they all disappear? I think I got 2 J or L codes still in my account, but I'm debating whether or not to just use it up or just save it for later.[/QUOTE]

Nothing is certain at this time.

I'd expect the issue to be resolved in the next couple days, which might also result in the codes being pulled from the accounts -- but who's to say, you know? It's also quite possible that these codes aren't exclusive to the ECA Member benefits. Who knows who else has access to codes like this? Employees of people that might work for other companies related to Amazon? Maybe, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. Just because the ECA gets batches doesn't mean that there aren't others out there that have access to similar codes as well.

I wouldn't wait. Amazon may find a way to invalidate current codes or something of that nature. But I don't even know if Amazon will do that. Before the double and triple stacking started, I emailed them asking if there was anyway to remove the code from my account or if I would need to do something about the codes so that I could use my $10 credit. They never gave me any indication that they could remove it or that they even would. So again for people that have pre-orders with multiple codes, I would not worry.

I had some codes as well. They showed up after a few days of no use.

If the ECA and Amazon are looking to revamp the process, the current ones should still be good (I think a witch hunt of the J/L codes would be a PR mess for Amazon). Who knows what the true expiration is on them though...

Huh. I used the stacking thing for the first time (consciously, that is - I did it with a game about a week ago without realizing I did it until after the order was placed) last night, and today the glitch is gone. Glad I got in on it for some XBL points before they shut it down.

[quote name='3rdbass']maybe but more likely they will be expiring codes. Codes that expire with 24-48 of being redeemed on the site if not used. If you cancel the order you lose the code and need a new one to get the promotional 10% off as they will not stay attached to your Amazon account like they do now.[/QUOTE]Probably not going to happen. I'm not sure Amazon can facilitate soft expiration dates like this with codes.

In fact, the more I thought about linked codes, the more I realized it would never work. They have to generate these codes in the thousands and because new members sign up everyday, there's no real way they could create exact 1-year expiration dates for each person. Plus, if Amazon ever did decide to can the program, how would they go about removing the discounts from our accounts? You're talking nightmare central.

More than likely, the current batch of codes will be coming right back up once they fix the software bug on their end. That would be the best approach for Amazon since it retro-actively fixes the issue. However, all existing orders will still be locked in, so best to consolidate your orders now.

i have only a very basic knowledge of programming..but shouldn't it be a simple coding fix to stop one batch of codes to stack with others? something like "if L batch of codes to order, then J or # code can't be applied" (pseudocode of course). once again i have no clue how amazon is programmed and how these codes are accepted into it...but i think most programming languages allow if then statements like that.

There are a lot of issues ...
ECA does not use an HTTPS connection to log in, access member area, etc.
If it did, the ECA could link to an Amazon site via referrer. You would log on to https://theeca.com/amazon, click the magical ECA account-specific link and only folks with a paid up membership could get the discount. This would also cut way down on ECA code sharing (as there would be no keys and you would have to have the ECA log in).

Unsure if Amazon referrals could be set up to give cash back to the purchaser as opposed to the referrer but I suspect not. This would explain why promotions such as Bing never work with Amazon. I think Amazon referral links are purely commission based and were never design to benefit the customer via discounts or cash back.

I also think that there are so many %-off promoters such as ECA that Amazon will not be able to fix this easily. However, the long term fix is for Amazon to provide the ability for referral links to give discounts or cash back.

[quote name='WilliamG']No, you're still wrong. You're completely guessing. Who knows what this abuse is? For example, there were ways to generate more than 1 code a day if you wanted. Maybe they were fixing that? Until they come out with specifics, I think you can all guess away all you want. To assume is to .....[/QUOTE]

:roll:

I joined and never got the confirmation email, it's not in my spam folder either... Does it take a couple days?

Jodou, you obviously have never worked with an sql database long enough to realize that you can store multiple pieces of data in one long table. You can have YEAR_LONG_CODE as the main table, then have 10 or so fields within that one code. So then you have the actual code (F3FJSKLQ9F98), as well as a date/time that it expires, generated JUST for that user (10-05-2009 00:00:00), and then a matching USERID for the user who is tied to that code (30319105915), so then if amazon wants to look up that users code, they do a lookup for their USERID, which is in the same database as the CODE and DATE/TIME to see how long their personal code expires. They can do this indefinitely.

That is all.
151l1259.jpg

[quote name='y2jasper']i have only a very basic knowledge of programming..but shouldn't it be a simple coding fix to stop one batch of codes to stack with others? something like "if L batch of codes to order, then J or # code can't be applied" (pseudocode of course). once again i have no clue how amazon is programmed and how these codes are accepted into it...but i think most programming languages allow if then statements like that.[/QUOTE]
Depends on how it's set up whether they can do that after the fact, as it's generally going to be data-driven. Essentially what seems to have happened is that each batch of codes (L, J, 6) was set up as a different coupon in the system, which should not have been the case. That is every code with L was type 1, J codes were type 2, etc. Their system obviously checks if two coupons of the same type were applied, but not different types (as can be seen by stacking 10% off with 50% off from other promos, etc).

[quote name='reportcheatings']Jodou, you obviously have never worked with an sql database long enough to realize that you can store multiple pieces of data in one long table. You can have YEAR_LONG_CODE as the main table, then have 10 or so fields within that one code. So then you have the actual code (F3FJSKLQ9F98), as well as a date/time that it expires, generated JUST for that user (10-05-2009 00:00:00), and then a matching USERID for the user who is tied to that code (30319105915), so then if amazon wants to look up that users code, they do a lookup for their USERID, which is in the same database as the CODE and DATE/TIME to see how long their personal code expires. They can do this indefinitely.

That is all.
151l1259.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It would be this simple if there were no third parties or only one third party.

[quote name='reportcheatings']Jodou, you obviously have never worked with an sql database long enough to realize that you can store multiple pieces of data in one long table. You can have YEAR_LONG_CODE as the main table, then have 10 or so fields within that one code. So then you have the actual code (F3FJSKLQ9F98), as well as a date/time that it expires, generated JUST for that user (10-05-2009 00:00:00), and then a matching USERID for the user who is tied to that code (30319105915), so then if amazon wants to look up that users code, they do a lookup for their USERID, which is in the same database as the CODE and DATE/TIME to see how long their personal code expires. They can do this indefinitely.

That is all.
151l1259.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Given the resources, they can make anything happen. The point is, under the current system I dare say it would be impossible, as evidenced through past experience. We can really only speculate how Amazon has their DB set up and from my experience in IT, it's easier to use existing framework than to develop a new one.

I'd assume that Amazon did just that.[quote name='wynams']It would be this simple if there were no third parties or only one third party.[/QUOTE]Ha, that's pretty much the TL;DR version.

And those both stacked with the batch before that Collector :p Some of us, like myself, actually got triple stacked purely on accident though, lol. I couldn't bring myself to finalize a few different purchases over the course of time, and never noticed the % kept increasing as I put new codes in over time >< I have no idea how many are saved to my account now, and tbh I feel kinda bad but they don't exactly offer me the chance to only take the 10% I'm supposed to get. Since the codes are already in the system I'm actually stuck taking 30% or nothing... It makes me feel like a thief :p

[quote name='Collectordragon']How did people triple stack? I know you could stack the current batch with the previous batch but that's only double stacking.[/QUOTE]

There's a batch even before the previous batch, making it 3 separate batches that people used.

To note, I presume the following will happen:

1) Amazon will "expire" or remove stacking from the J/L/# codes. (obvious.)

This means that if you wish to stack, you must do so now. You can always cancel a pre-order before it ships, but you likely won't be able to double/triple-stack once Amazon fixes it over the next one to three days.

Pre-order that Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, U2, etc. If you decided you don't want it, you can -always- cancel it before it ships. Credit cards don't get charged until items ship. If you do this, you may even be able to stack it with the next ECA code batch.

Just a heads up.

Just pre-ordered Uncharted 2 for $42.74 thanks to two ECA codes (20%) + 10% off from my Amazon quick picks. Not to mention the $5 off future game purchases (I'm eyeing Batman AA) and the exclusive treasure map. You are a God amongst mere mortals, op.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Does anyone here have any spare October codes? I've been away for a bit and missed them. I'd like to think someone would be kind enough to pay forward, back to me for helping others last month. :) Just PM me. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

uh oh, read the first post.

Well apparently people abused the system and are paying for it. I did not read the first post...nor was it my intention to stack...as I've even been vocal against it in the past and how it will come back to bite peeps in the arse.

I just needed one because Amazon brought back the $10 GC for pre-ordering MW2, and I don't have any codes and the ECA are out ATM.

Any word on when they will bring them back?

[quote name='morphineseason']Just pre-ordered Uncharted 2 for $42.74 thanks to two ECA codes (20%)...[/QUOTE]

:roll:

I can't tell if this guy is trolling, or being a real douchebag right now...

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Well apparently people abused the system and are paying for it. I did not read the first post...nor was it my intention to stack...as I've even been vocal against it in the past and how it will come back to bite peeps in the arse.

I just needed one because Amazon brought back the $10 GC for pre-ordering MW2, and I don't have any codes and the ECA are out ATM.

Any word on when they will bring them back?[/QUOTE]

According to the forum post via ECA, within the next two days or so...

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']According to the forum post via ECA, within the next two days or so...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Zodiac....I hope Amazon doesn't take away the $10 GC for MW2 by then. :(

[quote name='Muthafodder']Emailing Amazon to stack was a pretty boneheaded move for anyone who did so...
[/QUOTE]

Why? I did just so and got a stacked code added to my gold box order. I just don't understand this crowd that thinks the stacking could have been kept a secret in perpetuity. For those who do, welcome to the internet, here is lesson one: any information on the internet will be known by all interested parties in an extremely short period of time. Don't criticize people for "giving away the secret". You can assume the secret will get out. It's automatic. So don't worry about it.

[quote name='hypermog']Why? I did just so and got a stacked code added to my gold box order. I just don't understand this crowd that thinks the stacking could have been kept a secret in perpetuity. For those who do, welcome to the internet, here is lesson one: any information on the internet will be known by all interested parties in an extremely short period of time. Don't criticize people for "giving away the secret". You can assume the secret will get out. It's automatic. So don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

It's one thing to find out, but to willingly know, execute it, and than admit it on an open forum whose most recent discussion is in regards to individuals who knowingly did this and put said discounts for the rest of us in jeopardy, shows that you have a lot of balls admitting to it.

You knowingly took advantage of the discount program, and in doing so added to the ever growing number of people also taking part in this, which obviously led to Amazon and the ECA severing the discount codes for a period of time to figure out what was going on.

I can't and won't speak for anyone else, but I say go fuck yourself.

While we're all on our high horse here, let me just say how disappointed I am in everyone that picked up a free copy of X-Blades from Best Buy. You thieves! You used a legitimate coupon that the cash register system happened to accept! SHAME SHAME SHAME!

Seriously though, just chill out. Amazon isn't going bankrupt from this, and it doesn't seem that they've cared enough to cancel orders. They can fire their crappy programmer and cancel our orders if they want, but don't call me a douchebag just because I tried something that my own Grandmother could have done, on accident, with her eyes closed.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh cool, we're back to the hate phase of this thread.[/QUOTE]

We are going in such marvelous circles. The thread has really changed ever since the GIMAG code fiasco; it was much more friendly in the before time. It's really the root of all the troubles Amazon and ECA have had.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']:roll:

I can't tell if this guy is trolling, or being a real douchebag right now...[/QUOTE]

Why is he a trolling douchebag? Im pretty sure most of us who are reading this thread took advantage of the stacking.

The unintentional stacking was bad enough without people calling and emailing to have CSRs do workarounds for it. I believe that's the main reason for Zodiac's backlash, at least.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Can't wait to get some 40% discounts once the codes come back.[/QUOTE]
I'd laugh if it happened.

This has got to be saving people a ton of money right now, forcing you to not buy until the codes come back up. Maybe you won't feel the urge to splurge once they actually are working again. Eh? Maybe CAG is bad for ya ehhhhhh?

[quote name='doodofdoods']Can't wait to get some 40% discounts once the codes come back.[/QUOTE]

I'd be too paranoid that it was a strategy to root out code stackers to act on it.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh cool, we're back to the hate phase of this thread.[/QUOTE]
I think it's legitimate for people to be mad when others put the whole chance of getting a discount in jeopardy for them. I don't want to ridicule anyone or argue, but people who did stack have no right to ridicule others for getting upset about them doing it. That's worse than those who are upset about it.

[quote name='gunm']The unintentional stacking was bad enough without people calling and emailing to have CSRs do workarounds for it. I believe that's the main reason for Zodiac's backlash, at least.[/QUOTE]

This is part of the frustration, but I'm speaking more about those who intentionally knew what they were doing, to cheat the system, and thus created issues for those who did not or hell, even those of us who paid for memberships early on.

[quote name='morphineseason']While we're all on our high horse here, let me just say how disappointed I am in everyone that picked up a free copy of X-Blades from Best Buy. You thieves! You used a legitimate coupon that the cash register system happened to accept! SHAME SHAME SHAME![/QUOTE]

Or getting uncharted 2 and another pre-order for pre-order goodies for free. Or flipping cranium kabooki to blockbuster and then buying it back the next day. Or that stacked(THE TABOO WORD) like 7 coupons at the wbshop online a month or two ago, getting sealed blu-rays at 6.50$~ a pop. ;)

Honestly, when I'm actually stealing or committing some illegal act like fraud, then I might feel guilty and all of this public lashing would be necessary. But as it is...meh.

Oh and to the comment that all of the stackers are saving money, I'm not. I wouldn't be buying half these games retail normally. Developers are selling more copies cause of me, but amazon is probably not going to actually make more money.

I got codes to stack, why in the world would I care what happens to Amazon or ECA. Those are only outlets to get what I want, just like this site.

I come here for the best deals if I can triple stack a code I will, I care less about ECA members, amazon, or anyone honestly regarding this matter. Just like EA with those SIMS 3 cards, I look for the best deals and execute.

The sooner you people realize that these companies do not care about you, the better you will be in life. Doggy dog world we live, get your bone cause I'm getting mine.

Also I'm actually flipping several of these games on EBay , Daddy gotta eat & baby need some new shoes :applause:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back