(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
well, my double stack is gone...thats okay, I guess it will save me some money.

That sucks cuz I just wanted to grab GoW collection and NSMB wii...do you guys think if I call and complain to amazon.com they will change that.

[quote name='au7oma7ic']well, my double stack is gone...thats okay, I guess it will save me some money.

That sucks cuz I just wanted to grab GoW collection and NSMB wii...do you guys think if I call and complain to amazon.com they will change that.[/QUOTE]

Considering they're fixing an exploit with their codes..........no, no, I don't believe they're going to allow you to exploit their system if you complain. Really should have gotten those preorders in sooner, we all knew this was coming.

[quote name='Oceaniax']Considering they're fixing an exploit with their codes..........no, no, I don't believe they're going to allow you to exploit their system if you complain. Really should have gotten those preorders in sooner, we all knew this was coming.[/QUOTE]

Now that there are no ECA codes to be had, what is the FSS discount on Amazon? I tried searching on here, but no results...

[quote name='Spinshag']Now that there are no ECA codes to be had, what is the FSS discount on Amazon? I tried searching on here, but no results...[/QUOTE]

Its just the price of shipping refunded so you end up with, as they say, FSSS.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but Amazon changed their policy on orders that have promotional discounts applied. If you ordered multiple games in one order with the eca code(s), after a game ships from that order, you can no longer cancel any remaining games in the order. This is a distinct change from their old policy, and I have seen people mention some pretty crazy order totals, also mentioning they could just cancel the ones they don't want. So I just wanted to give a heads up and make sure everyone is aware of the new policy. (I guess you could still refuse to accept the delivery?)

[quote name='Ordoabchao']I haven't seen this mentioned, but Amazon changed their policy on orders that have promotional discounts applied. If you ordered multiple games in one order with the eca code(s), after a game ships from that order, you can no longer cancel any remaining games in the order. This is a distinct change from their old policy, and I have seen people mention some pretty crazy order totals, also mentioning they could just cancel the ones they don't want. So I just wanted to give a heads up and make sure everyone is aware of the new policy. (I guess you could still refuse to accept the delivery?)[/QUOTE]

Hmm...I can still cancel future games on an order I had that included Demon's Souls (which just shipped).

[quote name='Ordoabchao']I haven't seen this mentioned, but Amazon changed their policy on orders that have promotional discounts applied. If you ordered multiple games in one order with the eca code(s), after a game ships from that order, you can no longer cancel any remaining games in the order. This is a distinct change from their old policy, and I have seen people mention some pretty crazy order totals, also mentioning they could just cancel the ones they don't want. So I just wanted to give a heads up and make sure everyone is aware of the new policy. (I guess you could still refuse to accept the delivery?)[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you are getting this information as it is still allowing me to delete items that haven't shipped on two different ECA orders I did. Parts of both of those orders have things shipped and they are allowing me to delete items that haven't shipped. Not sure maybe you pressed something during checkout that prevented by the shipping methods.

Wow definitely wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads up.

Well, I was canceling an order yesterday, and a message mentioning that policy change was on the screen. It may be that it is not an immediate change, to let people have time to know? I'm not sure, but I'll look into it more.

[quote name='Ordoabchao']Well, I was canceling an order yesterday, and a message mentioning that policy change was on the screen. It may be that it is not an immediate change, to let people have time to know? I'm not sure, but I'll look into it more.[/QUOTE]

OMG THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP:

**Cringes at the thought of being forced to pay $800 after GOW: collection ships*** :hot::hot::hot::hot::hot:

[quote name='Ordoabchao']Well, I was canceling an order yesterday, and a message mentioning that policy change was on the screen. It may be that it is not an immediate change, to let people have time to know? I'm not sure, but I'll look into it more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, let up know as as I mentioned it still is giving me the option cancel future pre-orders even though some of the games have already shipped from my initial order which makes sense. If the option is going to go away I need to know and cancel some of the games I wasn't sure about. I'm sure that Amazon would still allow for it though as they do have good customer service and wouldn't want to lose customers because of that. It actually breaks the first order up to 2 different orders when one ships. Of course the ordered one that ships you can't cancel but all the games that are still in the separated one with future pre-orders allows me to do it. It wouldn't makes sense if Amazon forced you to not cancel pre-orders even with discounts if they haven't shipped.

I have an order which includes an already shipped NBA 2K10 and it is still letting me cancel other items in the order.

Important Message
Cancelling items in this order may cause you to lose promotional offers on unshipped items in this and/or other orders. Additionally, if discounted items have already shipped, you may not be able to cancel some of the items in this order.

That is the text I get when trying to cancel. I suppose upon further reflection, it could just mean you can't cancel items which have already shipped, but then why doesn't it just say that? It may be overblown, but it was enough to make me pause.

[quote name='Ordoabchao']Important Message
Cancelling items in this order may cause you to lose promotional offers on unshipped items in this and/or other orders. Additionally, if discounted items have already shipped, you may not be able to cancel some of the items in this order.

That is the text I get when trying to cancel. I suppose upon further reflection, it could just mean you can't cancel items which have already shipped, but then why doesn't it just say that? It may be overblown, but it was enough to make me pause.[/QUOTE]

Well it sounds like you can definitely cancel the orders even if some have shipped. What I wonder though if you do cancel part of the order do you lose the promotions on ones left in the order? Has anyone canceled part of their order after some of it has shipped?

That is the text I get when trying to cancel. I suppose upon further reflection, it could just mean you can't cancel items which have already shipped, but then why doesn't it just say that? It may be overblown, but it was enough to make me pause.[/QUOTE]

was getting that message last week, i emailed em and they canceled the order for me

That very likely has nothing to do with our situation at all. What that's saying from my interpretation, is that if Amazon has, say, a B1G1 50% off deal, and your 50% off game ships, you can't just turn around and cancel the game you got at full price (and if you do prior to either shipping, you're obviously going to lose the promotional price).

Since ECA discounts have absolutely no order prereqs this doesn't apply.

I'm pretty sure they've always had that message when there is a code/promo involved and I doesn't apply here because the discount is taken on each individual item when it ships. It's a message for when the discount is dependent on buying something else, like buy a blu-ray player get a blu ray free.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but...

Why are so many here frantic about this? Why would many here want to cancel items they ordered? I could understand if someone placed an order and then changed their minds...but like the one guy above saying "I cringe at having to pay $800 after GoW Collection ships".

Was there some kind of promotion that people expected to take advantage of (a B1G1 50% off perhaps) and then want to cancel the other full priced item expecting to keep the second at 50% off?

If so...it's just another exploitation bomb waiting to go off. It's garbage like this that one day the greatness of Amazon deals will cease to exist.

Yeah, I'm not understanding the whole panic of wanting to cancel games either. I had a system of triple stacking (I had about 20 to 30 codes of each kind) and I've shared with friends and forum members.
Anyhow, I got in my last triple stack order in this afternoon about 3pm CST. Someone notified me that they are no longer triple, so i checked just now and looks like just double stack now.

Are people saying/thinking Amazon will not honor the pre-order prices at triple stack? I have Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5 on pre-order...it would suck to lose 30% off :(

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']
Why are so many here frantic about this? Why would many here want to cancel items they ordered? I could understand if someone placed an order and then changed their minds...but like the one guy above saying "I cringe at having to pay $800 after GoW Collection ships".

Was there some kind of promotion that people expected to take advantage of (a B1G1 50% off perhaps) and then want to cancel the other full priced item expecting to keep the second at 50% off? [/QUOTE]

No, most people preordered alot with the double or triple stacking in order to get in on the deal while they could. Knowing that the deal would go away soon, quite a few people (including myself) ordered not only the games they wanted, but any game they were mildly interested in coming out in over the next year.

As release dates come closer each game is more closely examined to see if it's worth part of your gaming budget, or whether that portion of the order should just be canceled.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Maybe I'm missing something here, but...

Why are so many here frantic about this? Why would many here want to cancel items they ordered? I could understand if someone placed an order and then changed their minds...but like the one guy above saying "I cringe at having to pay $800 after GoW Collection ships".[/QUOTE]Because exploiters/hoarders bit off more than they could chew, that's the simple explanation.

Actually that whole promotion cancelling thing has always been there and your reading into it wrong. I just had a situation with this the other day, I ordered for my daugthers Tinkerbell 1 + 2 and Snow white blu rays. There was a wierd problem with my order and amazon said I could fix it by cancelling only Snow white as Tinkerbell 1 had already shipped and it wouldn't let me cancel Tinkerbell 2 due to the fact it was an amazon promotion for buy both tinkerbells get additional $10 off. This is what the promotional thing refers too promotions distinctly offered by amazon for everyone as special combo buys and such as that where you get a discount for a multi item purchase, and because the discount gets divided and applied as your order ships they don't want you saving money on the first i.e. Tinkerbell 1 and then cancelling the second to game the system.

I've been planning on pre-ordering some games on Amazon so I figured I would finally sign up for ECA. I signed up for it tonight.....before I came into this topic and saw that they are currently not giving out codes for Amazon.

LOL, thanks for the logical explanation. When I signed-up for my PAID ECA acct, I went ahead and generated 30 LA codes...not knowing why, but it was just a few clicks away, then pasted into an xls. Then later, i got lucky and signed up for a free ECA acct and generated 20 JT codes. The rest was history and making a few double and triple stacked purchases.

I got hit up a lot for codes and offered money. I never accepted $ and gave away as many as I could. I only ordered games and accessories I wanted knowing it wasn't going to last....one item at a time with PRIME :D

[quote name='SimaYi']Because exploiters/hoarders bit off more than they could chew, that's the simple explanation.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone had there preorders that havent shipped yet using 30% off cancelled? Do you guys think they will be cancelled?

[quote name='bobright']Has anyone had there preorders that havent shipped yet using 30% off cancelled? Do you guys think they will be cancelled?[/QUOTE]

Asking people for opinions just isn't productive, no offense. The laid back people are going to tell you no, the stressed out people are going to tell you yes, and the self righteous people are going to tell you to go to hell.

Until amazon puts out an official statement or peoples preorders actually get pulled, no one is going to have a clue. Relax.

Here's a few LA codes, hopefully they still stack with 66 codes for 20%. Please mention here if you used them for others, good luck guys:

LAZ4-CVMR8V-VC7DUE
LA4A-G6YGUX-PYMGYR

Seriously, they can't hold you to a preorder that is 2 years out if you don't want it ;). It does seem to be the case, though, that you don't get 10% codes back if you just cancel part of it and I suppose that makes sense otherwise you could have strung together unlimited preorders and just cancelled part of them to get more codes.

[quote name='Smidget']Can't you just return them if they do ship?[/QUOTE]

You have to pay for return shipping so that's not really a great option.

Has it been confirmed that if you cancel a stacked order the codes will now no longer be in your account for a reorder?

[quote name='Arakias']well i lost a 30% preorder. still have 20% in my cart though[/QUOTE]

How'd you lose it? (unless you're referring to losing an unused code, if so, nevermind).

[quote name='teaberry']Here's a few LA codes, hopefully they still stack with 66 codes for 20%. Please mention here if you used them for others, good luck guys:

LAZ4-CVMR8V-VC7DUE
LA4A-G6YGUX-PYMGYR[/QUOTE]

those are the ones that have stopped working

[quote name='Ninja300x']those are the ones that have stopped working[/QUOTE]

I thought the L ones were still working because I'm unable to get a double stack with the "J" and "6" codes so I think they blocked the new number ones from working.

To the poster who lost the 30% order, do you mean you canceled a 3X ECA order and the codes were not back in your cart like normal? I redid one earlier this morning and it worked but it appears that is no longer an option?

[quote name='Moravagine']I thought the L ones were still working because I'm unable to get a double stack with the "J" and "6" codes so I think they blocked the new number ones from working.
[/QUOTE]

He underlined and bolded the "66" in the post he quoted, so I believe he was referring to the # codes being invalid, not the L's. Don't feel bad though, totally thought the same thing until I reread it.

Hmm thanks to the stackers I now have to wait to get an amazon code from theeca. Apparently the codes should be fixed so there is no more stacking and ready to go tomorrow.

It pisses me off but I can't really blame anyone for taking advantage of a good deal.

[quote name='Oceaniax']He underlined and bolded the "66" in the post he quoted, so I believe he was referring to the # codes being invalid, not the L's. Don't feel bad though, totally thought the same thing until I reread it.[/QUOTE]

fuck, I totally did not notice that the "66" was bolded/underlined. In my defense, I'm insanely hungover after drinking off a Packers loss.

[quote name='teaberry']Here's a few LA codes, hopefully they still stack with 66 codes for 20%. Please mention here if you used them for others, good luck guys:

LAZ4-CVMR8V-VC7DUE
LA4A-G6YGUX-PYMGYR[/QUOTE]

Just a heads-up to everybody: Both of these have been used by some lurker(s).

By the way, just to ease a few minds, I just cancelled one game that was part of a larger preorder that has a triple stack. Nothing weird happened with the discounts for the remaining games, so don't sweat partially cancelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back