(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slowdive21']Is there a list of what the codes do/do not work on? Here is what I have found so far.

Do not work on:

PSN digital codes
Playstation 1 games sold by amazon
PC games listed as 'software' sold by amazon[/QUOTE]

Digital codes definitely don't work. I've had mixed results on PS1 and PC games. Generally they have to be sold directly by amazon. I've also had different results for different code batches and even just different days for some games. I'd give it about an 85% reliability rating. 70% if you count how often the codes are down entirely.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I'd rather be paranoid than out $30+ worth of discounts...[/QUOTE]

I fail to see how a state of paranoia would affect Amazon's decision on the matter.

[quote name='crunchewy']i think you should all just shut up. I paid $19.99 to join, but if i were to join now i'd use the gi code even though i'm not a gi subscriber. If they wanted to prevent people without gi from signing up for free, then they should have put a little more thought into how they handled it. It's a sequence of letters and numbers. It's information. It's out there. Use it. If a game comes out and gamestop offers a pre-order bonus in which you get a (universal) code to unlock some special feature of the game. Guess what? I'd use that too once the info was out there, even if i hadn't ordered from gamestop. How's them apples?[/quote]

qft

[quote name='Jerkapotamus']I fail to see how a state of paranoia would affect Amazon's decision on the matter.[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) by how many people here think that way.

God of War collection just popped into my quick picks, but no ECA code since they havent put any up yet!! sucks!

Went ahead and bought it, hopefully Amazon CS will apply a code towards it since it wont be out for a long while

[quote name='rpnguyen']fuck...i wish they would get these back up very quickly.[/QUOTE]

fuck... I wish they'd just close this thread so we don't have to listen to this shit anymore. This isn't the first time these have gone down and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Amazon is closing the exploit that one of you found. If it takes 3 months then it takes more than 3 months. They're losing their ass on these stackable codes so get over it and grow up.

This shit happened in the last ECA thread. Wonder why that one didn't stick around? I'm thinking they should ban all ECA talk here. This is getting shameful. You people are acting like a bunch of babies who didn't get breastfed enough. Move onto another topic or keep quiet until the codes are back.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']fuck... I wish they'd just close this thread so we don't have to listen to this shit anymore. This isn't the first time these have gone down and I'm sure it won't be the last...[/QUOTE]

I find your signature hilarious. :)

I'm starting to feel the same way blk00...I can't go a page without either some OT back and forth arguing/whining, or someone asking a question that was already answered multiple times in the thread or in answered in the OP.

but i thought this was "CheapAssGamer" now why are people complying when you all exploited the system its your own damn fault

[quote name='blk00civicsi']fuck... I wish they'd just close this thread so we don't have to listen to this shit anymore.[/QUOTE]

While I do agree with your overall sentiment about all of the whining, I feel like it's worth pointing out that no one is making you read the thread. ;) Personally, I don't think that closing down this thread would be productive, simply because doing so would cause ten more to pop up in its place.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']fuck... I wish they'd just close this thread so we don't have to listen to this shit anymore. This isn't the first time these have gone down and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Amazon is closing the exploit that one of you found. If it takes 3 months then it takes more than 3 months. They're losing their ass on these stackable codes so get over it and grow up.

This shit happened in the last ECA thread. Wonder why that one didn't stick around? I'm thinking they should ban all ECA talk here. This is getting shameful. You people are acting like a bunch of babies who didn't get breastfed enough. Move onto another topic or keep quiet until the codes are back.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='Jerkapotamus']I fail to see how a state of paranoia would affect Amazon's decision on the matter.[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about? I am just covering my bases, so I'm not surprised that my card gets charged $59.99 or whatever the full MSRP when the game ships all because they removed any codes I LEGITIMATELY acquired from my membership.

I don't see how I'm in the wrong here...

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']What the hell are you talking about? I am just covering my bases, so I'm not surprised that my card gets charged $59.99 or whatever the full MSRP when the game ships all because they removed any codes I LEGITIMATELY acquired from my membership.

I don't see how I'm in the wrong here...[/QUOTE]

No one implied you were in the wrong. There is just no need to worry. They cannot charge you more than they agreed to charge you and if they decide to cancel orders, you are SOL anyway.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']I'd rather be paranoid than out $30+ worth of discounts...[/QUOTE]

This would never ever happen. It's illegal. Amazon can't charge for more than you agreed to pay. You'd face a cancellation at worst. That's it.

FYI - I was able to successfully use a "J" code today. I generated and saved about 6 codes last month to use on upcoming pre-orders. Two of them didn't work, the third did, and I still have 3 left untried. So if you have some saved, it might be worth trying them. (and if it matters, I wasn't stacking anything)

[quote name='evilpotatoguy']Wonder if ECA codes will work on the new PSN DLC store on Amazon![/QUOTE]
Doubt it, but it's awesome that they have PSN stuff for sale now. Means I can get triple rewards using my Amazon Visa card. :)

Now if they'd just get around to putting up Final Fantasy VIII...

Just throwing this out there...

I don't think stacking on preorders was that big a deal to Amazon and probably not what caught their attention. But I just realized something the other day. Probably at this point people were starting to do things like order 10 x Beatles Rock Band SE. You triple stack on that and you get them for $175 each. Much to my surprise I discovered that the Hofner Bass itself can sell for $120-$150 on eBay (after I saw that I'm seriously considering selling mine because we only played it for a week and I'm swimming in plastic guitars :lol:). So it could be that what pushed all this over the edge with Amazon was not preorders like most people here are doing but actual immediately shipped bulk orders with massive discounts. Just a thought - not getting on anyone's case or anything. But I think the preorders were probably a drop in the bucket and they will leave those well enough alone. All pure utter speculation on my part of course!

I'm inclined to agree with you, io. It's definitely dangerous when done that way, so I can see how they'd need to act immediately on that. As for most of us with just "normal" pre-orders, I know I placed a lot more pre-orders with Amazon than I would've w/o ECA--I'm sure those are a lot easier to nip in the bud when looked at from that perspective.

io is there anyway you can merge the two ECA threads. They are basically the same thing: people asking the same dumb question 5 times a page. Or is there anyway we could lock both of them and start a new fresh one with a FAQ?

damn it - I should have saved some codes. :cry: ;) I tried a bit of Uncharted Among Thieves multiplayer action and had a BLAST. Now I want to buy the game. It would have been cool beans to save 10%.

You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gunm']I know I placed a lot more pre-orders with Amazon than I would've w/o ECA[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Since I joined ECA (and paid for it) I have placed 24 preorders (good lord - had no idea until I added them all up!). Some of those shipped long ago so they were "normal" 10% ECA preorders. Given that I got several of the $30 off coupons from the trade-in program I would have made many of those anyway. But at least half of them are because of the ECA discount + various other promos ($10 back, etc). Without the ECA and the trade-in program I probably would not have bought a single game from Amazon this Fall.

slick - I think maybe it's time to close up the other thread and just put the GI info into this one (if it isn't already there). I really don't think we need 2 and this is definitely the main ECA thread. I'll look into it later. Not feeling so great right now. Blah...

[quote name='io']Without the ECA and the trade-in program I probably would not have bought a single game from Amazon this Fall.[/QUOTE]

COMPLETELY agree. And I hate all of you =/ Traded in games...some more...even more..another load...or two. Got a couple coupons, some credit, learned about quick picks, got eca, all the stacking happened...

With my hours cut at work, I literally can not do anything but sit at home, pay bills, and pay for all the games I have pre-ordered, lol.

Buying brand new games never even crossed my mind a year ago, but I had like 3 years of 360 releases to go through back then when I first bought it.

Has anyone been able to pick Release-Date Delivery for the games that are eligible (ex: Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2) in a massive order with the double/triple stacking?

I have Amazon Prime but it's only letting me do two-day shipping for the entire order. It's not letting me pick Release-Date Delivery for the games that are eligible. I've tested it with putting 2 eligible games and 2 non-eligible games so I know it's not that.

Dimeat, one time it let me for the few games that were eligible(like 3 out of 10), then I changed some stuff around and put a few more games in the order, and I lost it.

[quote name='io']Just throwing this out there...

I don't think stacking on preorders was that big a deal to Amazon and probably not what caught their attention. But I just realized something the other day. Probably at this point people were starting to do things like order 10 x Beatles Rock Band SE. You triple stack on that and you get them for $175 each. Much to my surprise I discovered that the Hofner Bass itself can sell for $120-$150 on eBay (after I saw that I'm seriously considering selling mine because we only played it for a week and I'm swimming in plastic guitars :lol:). So it could be that what pushed all this over the edge with Amazon was not preorders like most people here are doing but actual immediately shipped bulk orders with massive discounts. Just a thought - not getting on anyone's case or anything. But I think the preorders were probably a drop in the bucket and they will leave those well enough alone. All pure utter speculation on my part of course![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't doubt that, since there was talk on Slickdeals by a couple of jackasses mentioning preordering 10+ copies CoD and other games to resell. That would definitely send up a red flag.

[quote name='dimeat']Has anyone been able to pick Release-Date Delivery for the games that are eligible (ex: Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2) in a massive order with the double/triple stacking?

I have Amazon Prime but it's only letting me do two-day shipping for the entire order. It's not letting me pick Release-Date Delivery for the games that are eligible. I've tested it with putting 2 eligible games and 2 non-eligible games so I know it's not that.[/QUOTE]

Yea it worked for me, and UC2/MW2 went into a "new" separate order for release day shipping, that still shared the promo codes.

Then just to test I tried it again a couple days ago without canceling my old order and it wouldn't let me, so either it stopped working, or its YMMV.

[quote name='omgroffles']never had a membership before, are there amazon codes for getting 10% of consoles (ps3, 360)?[/QUOTE]

Games only, not valid on consoles

I have an order that has a 10% code on it, with one game shipped already and another preorder. Will Amazon still let me add games to the order to make use of that 10%, do you think? I emailed em and no answer yet. Thanks.

[quote name='kr580']I have an order that has a 10% code on it, with one game shipped already and another preorder. Will Amazon still let me add games to the order to make use of that 10%, do you think? I emailed em and no answer yet. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I'm almost positive that the answer is no.

[quote name='kr580']I have an order that has a 10% code on it, with one game shipped already and another preorder. Will Amazon still let me add games to the order to make use of that 10%, do you think? I emailed em and no answer yet. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Normally they won't from my experience. You're going to have to luck out and get a super nice CSR to pull that one off.

I think my question was overlooked by the love/hate of this stacking and ECA discount not working but I'm asking again.

Does it work with strategy guides?

[quote name='dimeat']Has anyone been able to pick Release-Date Delivery for the games that are eligible (ex: Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2) in a massive order with the double/triple stacking? [/QUOTE]

It is not a massive order but I had NBA 2K10 and Brutal Legend on one order and it let me select release date delivery for Brutal Legend.

Well... It was nice while it lasted...

Damn shame that people were really exploiting the code for straight up profit and not just getting a discount on games they want.

I'm confused, there are no more codes given out for Amazon anymore?
I just joined last week and used it exactly once.
Why doesn't ECA take Amazon off their list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back