(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fatpug']Is anyone having a problem getting a code from ECA? The link for the code is gone now.[/QUOTE]

Gone for me too...

love ECA

Items Ordered Price
1 of: WET Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC $56.99
1 of: Dead Space Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC $19.99

Item(s) Subtotal: $76.98
Shipping & Handling: $5.48
Promotion Applied: -$10.00
Super Saver Discount: -$5.48
Promotion Applied: -$7.70
Lightning Deal: -$37.01
-----
Total Before Tax: $22.27
Sales tax: $0.00
-----
Total for this Shipment: $22.27
-----

its saturday no codes.. wont hold my breath on codes on monday cause of the holdiay...

monday will come and they will make up another reason why it could not be done...

[quote name='dmdragon']love ECA

Items Ordered Price
1 of: WET Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC $56.99
1 of: Dead Space Condition: New Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC $19.99

Item(s) Subtotal: $76.98
Shipping & Handling: $5.48
Promotion Applied: -$10.00
Super Saver Discount: -$5.48
Promotion Applied: -$7.70
Lightning Deal: -$37.01
-----
Total Before Tax: $22.27
Sales tax: $0.00
-----
Total for this Shipment: $22.27
-----[/QUOTE]
How did you still get the discount if the codes aren't working?

[quote name='fatpug']Is anyone having a problem getting a code from ECA? The link for the code is gone now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jrutz']Gone for me too...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']No ECA codes for me either on their site. And if I just try and preorder an item I don't get the discount.[/QUOTE]

DaveBangHead.gif

[quote name='ninjabenja']Updated yesterday, over at ECA they are estimating a few days for the codes to be back, and multi-unique codes at that!

http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6672

Quote from Gypsyfly at ECA:
"CURRENT STATUS:

**Amazon.com has asked us to remove the current batch of ECA member discount codes due to abuse issues related to a software exploit such as "stacking". They are reevaluating and will update us shortly on next steps!**

The bad news is that it’s going to take a few days later to get the new batch of codes this time (maybe Friday/Monday), which is still faster than it used to be. The good news is that Amazon is working on the much-wished-for unique multi-use codes! Hooray! We'll update the benefit section and here on the forums once we have any new information. Don't worry the benefit will be back."
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ravens52bears54']How did you still get the discount if the codes aren't working?[/QUOTE]

Some older codes still work (like the ones that start with "L" or "J" but not the "6" ones) if you generated them previously but have not used them already.

[quote name='Muthafodder']
DaveBangHead.gif
[/QUOTE]

lol
I think that's the best post I've seen in a while. I'd also like to say thanks for finding a picture that expresses what I could not with words.

Couldn't wait for the codes anymore so I just bit on the Fallout 3 GotY deal for 39.99 on Amazon through Target (just posted on SD).

I didn't get to use my $10 credit, but it still came out to about the same so I'm happy.

Now I need to find another game before the end of October though...

So, I just realized that I apparently had added Assassin's Creed 2 to my large preorder twice, and I do not want two copies of it. I tried preordering two of another game, and then canceling them, and it canceled both. So, do I have to email Amazon then? They won't screw up my 30% off will they?

[quote name='roncoalition']Couldn't wait for the codes anymore so I just bit on the Fallout 3 GotY deal for 39.99 on Amazon through Target (just posted on SD).[/QUOTE]
The code would not have worked anyway-- they only apply to items sold and shipped by Amazon.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']So, I just realized that I apparently had added Assassin's Creed 2 to my large preorder twice, and I do not want two copies of it. I tried preordering two of another game, and then canceling them, and it canceled both. So, do I have to email Amazon then? They won't screw up my 30% off will they?[/QUOTE]I'd suggest not emailing them over it.

Just fork out the $2 shipping to return the item back to them after it ships, since they'll both ship in the same box.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']So, I just realized that I apparently had added Assassin's Creed 2 to my large preorder twice, and I do not want two copies of it. I tried preordering two of another game, and then canceling them, and it canceled both. So, do I have to email Amazon then? They won't screw up my 30% off will they?[/QUOTE]

E-mail them, it's fine. I had the same issue when i accidentally preordered two copies of Fallout 3: Goty. There were no issues, and it didn't affect the discounts.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd suggest not emailing them over it.

Just fork out the $2 shipping to return the item back to them after it ships, since they'll both ship in the same box.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Oceaniax']E-mail them, it's fine. I had the same issue when i accidentally preordered two copies of Fallout 3: Goty. There were no issues, and it didn't affect the discounts.[/QUOTE]

Oh, jeez, conflicting advice. I wouldn't mind just returning it to them, but since Oceaniax actually has already done this, I might e-mail them... after Tuesday, so if anything does happen, I atleast have Brutal Legend and Fallout 3.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']So, I just realized that I apparently had added Assassin's Creed 2 to my large preorder twice, and I do not want two copies of it. I tried preordering two of another game, and then canceling them, and it canceled both. So, do I have to email Amazon then? They won't screw up my 30% off will they?[/QUOTE]

ebay it for the full price to earn some extra bucks, since you have 30% off +10 credit

[quote name='fatpug']Where are the codes? My theeca link is missing.[/QUOTE]

Updated yesterday, over at ECA they are estimating a few days for the codes to be back, and multi-unique codes at that!

http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6672

Quote from Gypsyfly at ECA:
"CURRENT STATUS:

**Amazon.com has asked us to remove the current batch of ECA member discount codes due to abuse issues related to a software exploit such as "stacking". They are reevaluating and will update us shortly on next steps!**

The bad news is that it’s going to take a few days later to get the new batch of codes this time (maybe Friday/Monday), which is still faster than it used to be. The good news is that Amazon is working on the much-wished-for unique multi-use codes! Hooray! We'll update the benefit section and here on the forums once we have any new information. Don't worry the benefit will be back."
this piece of information needs to be put on the very top of every single page it seems like.

Many have reported successfully contacting them about 30% orders and I don't believe anyone has ever had an order canceled.

Things might be different now that they are actively seeking to stop the stacking. I doubt the average customer service rep would notice anything but now there is probably a slightly higher risk they will.

I'd probably avoid doing it and just sell the extra game (you'll get more than you bought it for).

[quote name='Jonsoncao']ebay it for the full price to earn some extra bucks, since you have 30% off +10 credit[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are implying otherwise but just in case... you can only get one $10 GC per game so this guy won't get one for each copy. But yeah, either way it shouldn't be hard to sell/trade.

Some folks have reported this behavior earlier in the thread, and I can confirm this is happening to me as well:
I had a J code and a # code on a pre-order. Cancelled the order and the codes are gone (no discount when I go to purchase)

so, I just cancelled a pre-order with a code on it because it also had a $10 credit that I wanted to apply to a different game

the code and the credit applied to the new game. couldn't tell you specifically which kind of code it was, though

[quote name='wynams']Some folks have reported this behavior earlier in the thread, and I can confirm this is happening to me as well:
I had a J code and a # code on a pre-order. Cancelled the order and the codes are gone (no discount when I go to purchase)[/QUOTE]

BOTH codes/discounts are gone? That is odd because some of the codes must be working as I have one in my cart now that is taking 10% off. Since I know I did not have any "L" codes in there and the "6" codes no longer work, it must be a "J" code.

[quote name='Moravagine']BOTH codes/discounts are gone? That is odd because some of the codes must be working as I have one in my cart now that is taking 10% off. Since I know I did not have any "L" codes in there and the "6" codes no longer work, it must be a "J" code.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

It was a pre-order for Uncharted 2 and Forza with a J and a #. I canceled the 2 items (thereby canceling the order) and have $0.00 in promotional credit.

I have a CS email in, we'll see what they come up with.

I ended up getting uncharted 2 for less thru TRU B2G1 and will wait on Forza due to back log issues (plus buy.com is $8 cheaper before any promotions).

[quote name='mrcheapo11']So, I just realized that I apparently had added Assassin's Creed 2 to my large preorder twice, and I do not want two copies of it. I tried preordering two of another game, and then canceling them, and it canceled both. So, do I have to email Amazon then? They won't screw up my 30% off will they?[/QUOTE]I've had Amazon change around my 30% preorder a couple times the last few days, both by email and phone, and they haven't touched the coupons. A couple of ladies I had on the phone were each surprised at the discount amount but didn't mess with it at all.

Although you could always keep it in there and sell it for a nice $10 profit pretty easily if you're afraid of Amazon changing your discount.

Edit: Just clarifying, I had them change it AFTER they found the problem and shut down ECA codes temporarily. So this was all when they knew about it and they still did nothing.

Has anyone contacted Amazon to get one of the $10 GC applied to a double/triple stacked pre-order? I've got a few of those coming in and would like to apply them to games I pre-ordered in November. I know I haven't heard of a single case of an order being canceled or the promotions taken away but it makes me slightly nervous now that they are actively seeking to prevent the stacking.

[quote name='Moravagine']Has anyone contacted Amazon to get one of the $10 GC applied to a double/triple stacked pre-order? I've got a few of those coming in and would like to apply them to games I pre-ordered in November. I know I haven't heard of a single case of an order being canceled or the promotions taken away but it makes me slightly nervous now that they are actively seeking to prevent the stacking.[/QUOTE]

I've actually tried to do this a while back, before the ECA codes were removed. I had an order with 2 ECA coupons and I asked for a $10 GC to be applied. For some reason, everyone I talked to was VERY confused about what I was asking. I must've gone through 4-5 emails before giving up. I think the problem is that the $10 GCs don't have an associated code, and EVEN THOUGH I say there is no code and it's on my account, customer service gets confused. Go figure.

In one email, I also got some guy telling me orders are limited to one promotion. Which obviously isn't true, because gold box stacks with ECA, and I know GCs will stack with anything.

Maybe it was just my bad luck, but that was my experience. I order often enough from Amazon so that it doesn't make a big deal to me since I'll eventually spend the discounts.

Is anyone not able to get a code right now? I went to get one to buy a game and no code is showing up????

Update: Nevermind I see they need more codes.

[quote name='bizman316']Is anyone not able to get a code right now? I went to get one to buy a game and no code is showing up????

Update: Nevermind I see they need more codes.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Thanks a lot stackers. :roll:

[quote name='zohar']I've actually tried to do this a while back, before the ECA codes were removed. I had an order with 2 ECA coupons and I asked for a $10 GC to be applied. For some reason, everyone I talked to was VERY confused about what I was asking. I must've gone through 4-5 emails before giving up. I think the problem is that the $10 GCs don't have an associated code, and EVEN THOUGH I say there is no code and it's on my account, customer service gets confused. Go figure.

In one email, I also got some guy telling me orders are limited to one promotion. Which obviously isn't true, because gold box stacks with ECA, and I know GCs will stack with anything.

Maybe it was just my bad luck, but that was my experience. I order often enough from Amazon so that it doesn't make a big deal to me since I'll eventually spend the discounts.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks for the response. Fortunately I got my $10 credit from NBA2K10 applied to my next pre-order by canceling/reordering the morning they blocked the stacking. It sounds like it isn't worth the hassle to get future ones applied to already existing orders so I'll just use it on something else. Although I pretty much have everything ordered I'll ever want, maybe there will be some good BF deals.

I'm getting either 40 or 45 back once the october/november games ship. Think I'll buy a ps3 controller if I can't think of anything else, not going to bother and try to get them applied to my other order. I wonder how many upcoming games I have pre-ordered for next year will eventually get these 10$ extras.

Just a heads up to those who have "Total: -xx.xx"

Like, you get money back when the stuff ships...

I changed the shipping speed on one of my orders and it ended up putting that credit into my account and going "Total: 00.00".

I'm assuming since changing shipping recalculates the total, it just empties that extra credit into your account instead of having to wait for it to ship.

[quote name='Don G.']Does anyone know when eca will update with more codes? I have to order Uncharted 2.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='ECA Staff Person']The bad news is that it’s going to take a few days later to get the new batch of codes this time (maybe Friday/Monday), which is still faster than it used to be. The good news is that Amazon is working on the much-wished-for unique multi-use codes! Hooray! We'll update the benefit section and here on the forums once we have any new information. Don't worry the benefit will be back
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]

Any time now, supposedly.

[quote name='RedGamer']Just a heads up to those who have "Total: -xx.xx"

Like, you get money back when the stuff ships...

I changed the shipping speed on one of my orders and it ended up putting that credit into my account and going "Total: 00.00".

I'm assuming since changing shipping recalculates the total, it just empties that extra credit into your account instead of having to wait for it to ship.[/QUOTE]
Any adjustment to the order will do it. If you have any remaining credit left, you can apply it to a -$ order and it will zero it out, freeing up whatever you were due.

It would be nice to have Amazon flat out cancel all the orders using stacking abuse. I'm sure I'll get attacked for this stance, but it has kept me from using the codes legitimately as Amazon pulled them for now. So thanks to those who constantly have to find exploits, and then ruin it for the legit buyers.

[quote name='G-Nitro']It would be nice to have Amazon flat out cancel all the orders using stacking abuse. I'm sure I'll get attacked for this stance, but it has kept me from using the codes legitimately as Amazon pulled them for now. So thanks to those who constantly have to find exploits, and then ruin it for the legit buyers.[/QUOTE]

I should be noted that the discounts could not be removed, even by removing everything in your cart. I added all the codes I had at once (so they wouldn't expire) and they stacked on my next order. You can not expect people to not place an order if the stacking is out of their control.

Exactly. As I've noted, I did not use more than 1 code per order, period. Yet 2 of my preorders stacked. I didn't do this intentionally, but what if the code already on there was used by the time it came to the game i was getting now? then my code is gone. For this reason I used 1 code per order which is 100 per the instructions. I did not attempt to stack, I did not look for it. It just happened on a few due to the way amazon handles the codes.

[quote name='slowdive21']I should be noted that the discounts could not be removed, even by removing everything in your cart. I added all the codes I had at once (so they wouldn't expire) and they stacked on my next order. You can not expect people to not place an order if the stacking is out of their control.[/QUOTE]

An e-mail to Amazon might have handled/fixed it, but why do that?

[quote name='doodofdoods']An e-mail to Amazon might have handled/fixed it, but why do that?[/QUOTE]

Wow, exactly. If you abused the stacking, that's your business. But to act like it was beyond your control, that's a nonsensical attempt at justifying.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow, exactly. If you abused the stacking, that's your business. But to act like it was beyond your control, that's a nonsensical attempt at justifying.[/QUOTE]

if i remember correctly, some people who felt guilty did try this and the reps told them to just keep the promo since they couldn't undo it.

could be mistaken though.

So I JUST joined the ECA, using the promo code I got the membership for free. Awesome. Now I'm on the benefits page, and I see an amazon box, but it directs me to the forums? Where is the code? I understand that there is something going on right now with it being the weekend and with some sort of stacking glitch people are doing? Can anyone fill me in on how this all works and when I will be able to get a code? I'm thinking about getting demon's souls and Uncharted 2 soon...

[quote name='bluem00se']So I JUST joined the ECA, using the promo code I got the membership for free. Awesome. Now I'm on the benefits page, and I see an amazon box, but it directs me to the forums? Where is the code? I understand that there is something going on right now with it being the weekend and with some sort of stacking glitch people are doing? Can anyone fill me in on how this all works and when I will be able to get a code? I'm thinking about getting demon's souls and Uncharted 2 soon...[/QUOTE]

They're in the process of getting a new batch of codes from Amazon. Hopefully they will be back by tomorrow.

[quote name='Killbomb']They're in the process of getting a new batch of codes from Amazon. Hopefully they will be back by tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I'll keep checking then, thanks.

[quote name='vherub']unique multi-use codes can't come fast enough
good news[/QUOTE]

Maybe the one good thing to come out of all this. What I thought they should be doing from the beginning.

Everyone here has just become angry and nonsensical. Calling up a company to tell them to take away your discount? Who in their right mind would actually take their time to do that. Basically, everyone who can't get a discount now is blaming everyone else, which is understandable, but since there WAS the possibility for stacking, the delay was bound to happen anyway.

And its their system, their mistake - for those who typed in two codes, and it worked - well they lucked out, just like people are doing the B2G1free Toys r us deal with select preorders even though its technically not allowed.

[quote name='G-Nitro']It would be nice to have Amazon flat out cancel all the orders using stacking abuse. I'm sure I'll get attacked for this stance, but it has kept me from using the codes legitimately as Amazon pulled them for now. So thanks to those who constantly have to find exploits, and then ruin it for the legit buyers.[/QUOTE]

Whatever. You probably missed your chance to do it so you're mad.

This is NOT about people who canceled an older order and accidentally got a double-stack. Everyone who is in jail isn't guilty either, people who intentionally double-stacked/triple stacked $100's of dollars worth of orders are the ones that put this on pause.

Then to top it off, try to act as if it wasn't some form of glitch which was perfectly fine because the order went through and Amazon didn't immediately rectify things. No way in hell they could profit or even break even with an extra 10-20% off all software orders on top of the lowest prices and promos they already offered. There is a big difference between a cheapassgamer and a jackass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back