(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a great experience with Amazon.

I noticed I had an ECA-enabled pre-order on the God of War Collection on my account, so I called them and asked if I could add some items to the order to benefit from the promo.

The guy I talked to was awesome. He told me to just cancel my order, and let him know what I wanted to add, and he'd put a promo on my account for 10% of the pre-discount value.

I was able to add MW2, Assassin's Creed 2, The Last Guardian (Gold Box for 10% off already!), Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, Fallout 3: GotY, and Tekken 6 (also 10% off).

In the end, all 7 games came out to $298.38. Plus, I still get the pre-order price guarantee AND $20 in pre-order credits once AC2 and MW2 ship.

I

[quote name='Moravagine']The code I have in my cart is still active. It was a "J" code so, like others have said, maybe those are the only ones that now work.

Damn, I was considering canceling one last 3x ECA order for a 2010 game to do a 2x ECA order on something else.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, thanks.

I went ahead and canceled a future order (game wasn't going to come out until the middle of next year anyway) as I remembered using a J code for it.

Worked fine and was able to get the 10% off, plus my Uncharted $5 finally hit my account as well.

For what it's worth, yesterday I queued up an order for brutal legend w/o confirming it just so I could see what promo's I still had to apply; there were two 10% ECA's stacked. Today I did the same thing and I only had one :cry:. So it definitely seems they eliminated a particular batch of codes sometime between yesterday and now. Bummer.

I did notice, however, that my Uncharted 2 preorder bonus popped up, even though I had already used it after initially preordering it. Nice!

[quote name='crazy blain']I'm sure the codes might return AFTER the B2G1 deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now too. At least I *hope* they'll return.

Do they know they're losing out on sales from not having them? If they're going to can them completely, fine, but tell us. Otherwise, I've been sitting with hundreds of dollars of games in my cart for the last week or two I would have bought, and now I've spent a huge chunk of that at Toy's R Us instead.

Now maybe they were always going to wait because of this B2G1 sale, but still...

i'm happy that the stacking is disappearing, it's a sign amazon is working the kinks out of the system and i'm hopeful there will be new codes soon.

i never put in my credit card or promo code i was just checking out the site last week ( prefilled the boxes just in case i decided to join) and now it says im a member and got a newsletter-i can actually log in- and it says welcome youenvy

im guessing im just like wack member with no actual benefits-

i wanted to actually join-to try and get some codes for left 4 dead and mw 2- but i cant unsuscribe-cancel- or find a way to actually join.

anyone know how i can cancel and do this right

Question:

I want to apply a $10 Promo Credit I received from Halo 3 ODST on an order I already placed using an ECA code. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? There is no specific promo-code to enter, so I assume I just contact Amazon and ask them to apply it?

I don't want to re-order it in fear of losing the applied ECA code.

[quote name='youenvy']i never put in my credit card or promo code i was just checking out the site last week ( prefilled the boxes just in case i decided to join) and now it says im a member and got a newsletter-i can actually log in- and it says welcome youenvy

im guessing im just like wack member with no actual benefits-

i wanted to actually join-to try and get some codes for left 4 dead and mw 2- but i cant unsuscribe-cancel- or find a way to actually join.

anyone know how i can cancel and do this right[/QUOTE]

I would suggest contacting them directly. I've done it before, and they are quite prompt and helpful.

I'm sure this has been answered time and time again in this thread, but it is 182 pages long: Amazon puts up a limited number of codes for ECA members? How often? Is there a chance that they break their deal with the ECA and stop offering these codes in lieu of the free memberships?

[quote name='jacknicklson']You only have to read the op for your information[/QUOTE]

This.

And to anyone else...THE OP IS YOUR FRIEND!

thanks for the info guys i guess i will just contact them and do this right.

nice to know that their nice and helpful

Another day, another good game in my gold box...but as you can guess, no freakin' ECA code! I guess it just makes me angry cuz I am a paying member and when I need it, I can't use it. Shame on all you hoarders (you know who you are) who took a good thing and ruined it. :bomb:

[quote name='RobnessMonster']Another day, another good game in my gold box...but as you can guess, no freakin' ECA code! I guess it just makes me angry cuz I am a paying member and when I need it, I can't use it. Shame on all you hoarders (you know who you are) who took a good thing and ruined it. :bomb:[/QUOTE]
It's funny you blame people when they had no control over Amazon's error. The downtime was inevitable and had you hoarded a few away like the rest of us, you'd have codes sitting in your account right now.

If you want to lay blame, look to yourself for the lack of foresight.

[quote name='Jodou']It's funny you blame people when they had no control over Amazon's error. The downtime was inevitable and had you hoarded a few away like the rest of us, you'd have codes sitting in your account right now.

If you want to lay blame, look to yourself for the lack of foresight.[/QUOTE]

It was partly due to the "stacking" of Amazon 10% off codes. I assume people have no control over that?

[quote name='Jodou']It's funny you blame people when they had no control over Amazon's error. The downtime was inevitable and had you hoarded a few away like the rest of us, you'd have codes sitting in your account right now.

If you want to lay blame, look to yourself for the lack of foresight.[/QUOTE]

Yup, Game Theory applies.

Quick question: so if I have an existing order that I used a code on (a pre-order), I can cancel it to free up my code? To take advantage of the 3 for 2 deal?

My apologies if this has been already addressed...

OMG OMG OMG UNCHARTED 2 IS IN MY GOLD BOX

Wait, I just received that in the mail yesterday from them :/

They really need to fix their gold box system lol

[quote name='pscloud']Quick question: so if I have an existing order that I used a code on (a pre-order), I can cancel it to free up my code? To take advantage of the 3 for 2 deal?

My apologies if this has been already addressed...[/QUOTE]

Only, it would seem, if it was originally a 'J' code. The others will disappear when you cancel that order so be careful.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Question:

I want to apply a $10 Promo Credit I received from Halo 3 ODST on an order I already placed using an ECA code. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? There is no specific promo-code to enter, so I assume I just contact Amazon and ask them to apply it?

I don't want to re-order it in fear of losing the applied ECA code.[/QUOTE]

I tried to do this with my $5 Uncharted 2 credit, and the rep turned me down. It does say "towards a future purchase", but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Still, you may want to give it a try, and see if the rep goes for it. Might be YMMV.

[quote name='Rig']I tried to do this with my $5 Uncharted 2 credit, and the rep turned me down. It does say "towards a future purchase", but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Still, you may want to give it a try, and see if the rep goes for it. Might be YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Still haven't received my credits for UC2 and BL

[quote name='dmdragon']OMG OMG OMG UNCHARTED 2 IS IN MY GOLD BOX

Wait, I just received that in the mail yesterday from them :/

They really need to fix their gold box system lol[/QUOTE]

Most games wouldn't show up again, uncharted 2 is a known culprit. Mark as not interested? Still showing up. Ordered it? Still showing up. Ordered and already received it? Still showing up, apparently.

[quote name='Rig']I tried to do this with my $5 Uncharted 2 credit, and the rep turned me down. It does say "towards a future purchase", but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Still, you may want to give it a try, and see if the rep goes for it. Might be YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's YMMV. A few people report success, but most get turned down.

[quote name='gunm']Yes, it's YMMV. A few people report success, but most get turned down.[/QUOTE]

Well some Amazon CSR replied to my email and told me how sorry they were that they couldn't apply the $10 credit and knocked my preorder down to $31.49...:shock:

So I guess I lucked out.

[quote name='io']Only, it would seem, if it was originally a 'J' code. The others will disappear when you cancel that order so be careful.[/QUOTE]when were the J codes available?

Ok, can someone please clear this up for me because I just got off the phone after 10-15 minutes of talking/somewhat arguing with a rep.

Is it possible to apply an ECA discount on top of a Gold Box discount?

I was arguing with the person that I'd thought people did it all the time and she kept telling me it was not possible. As I've yet to try to apply an ECA discount to a game in my Gold Box, I eventually had to concede to verify with someone.

Can someone please tell me if I somehow just pulled that idea out of my rear end or did that CSR have no idea what she was talking about?!?

Yes the ECA codes apply fine with the goldbox deals. I never had an issue using them together. Though you must use a code that starts with "J" though for it to work. "L" and "66" codes are no longer working.

[quote name='trent82']you absolutely can. i've done it several times.[/QUOTE]

*sigh*.....I really mean it when I say I literally went 10-15 minutes going back and forth with her over that.:roll:

As for the codes, I've used two so far but I don't remember what they were (nor how to find them if that was possible) so I guess of SOL for today.

BTW: Lemme ask you guys what I was trying to ask her. Is it at all possible to retroactively apply an ECA code to an order already placed? Thats, when the ECA codes do come back up, can I go back and apply them to a preexisting preorder? I have two games I really want in my Gold Box today and I don't wanna miss out on the potential deal.

[quote name='VWarrior']Ok, can someone please clear this up for me because I just got off the phone after 10-15 minutes of talking/somewhat arguing with a rep.

Is it possible to apply an ECA discount on top of a Gold Box discount?

I was arguing with the person that I'd thought people did it all the time and she kept telling me it was not possible. As I've yet to try to apply an ECA discount to a game in my Gold Box, I eventually had to concede to verify with someone.

Can someone please tell me if I somehow just pulled that idea out of my rear end or did that CSR have no idea what she was talking about?!?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely you can.

[quote name='VWarrior']*sigh*.....I really mean it when I say I literally went 10-15 minutes going back and forth with her over that.:roll:

As for the codes, I've used two so far but I don't remember what they were (nor how to find them if that was possible) so I guess of SOL for today.

BTW: Lemme ask you guys what I was trying to ask her. Is it at all possible to retroactively apply an ECA code to an order already placed? Thats, when the ECA codes do come back up, can I go back and apply them to a preexisting preorder? I have two games I really want in my Gold Box today and I don't wanna miss out on the potential deal.[/QUOTE]

Well if they started with "66" or "L" they wouldn't work anymore as they expired or were terminated so yes SOL.

[quote name='3rdbass']Well if they started with "66" or "L" they wouldn't work anymore as they expired or were terminated so yes SOL.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to uncover what code you used in the order history or something or did you guys just save your codes locally somewhere? I'm asking because the codes I used may have started with a "J" but I just don't remember.

[quote name='VWarrior']Is there a way to uncover what code you used in the order history or something or did you guys just save your codes locally somewhere? I'm asking because the codes I used may have started with a "J" but I just don't remember.[/QUOTE]

No way to find them in the Amazon system or ECA unless you wrote them down or saved them in text. Do you know when you might have gotten the codes from ECA? I believe L codes started before the free membership and J Codes were around for a couple weeks after the free membership and the 66 codes were just around a week or so before codes stopped being generated from the ECA site.

[quote name='3rdbass']No way to find them in the Amazon system or ECA unless you wrote them down or saved them in text. Do you know when you might have gotten the codes from ECA? I believe L codes started before the free membership and J Codes were around for a couple weeks after the free membership and the 66 codes were just around a week or so before codes stopped being generated from the ECA site.[/QUOTE]

Well each of the two codes I used I know I'd gotten them from the ECA and applied them on the day. The first was back on September 14 (which is a current preorder BTW), and the second was on September 27 which is for a game that has already shipped. So...maybe the Sep 14 preorder uses a "J" code? Would it somehow get revealed to me if I canceled the order? It wasn't on top of a Gold Box discount so I could always reorder when the ECA codes go back up.

[quote name='tukai']I would like to know how to get something decent to appear in my gold box[/QUOTE]
Go buy something decent so that in turn Amazon would recommend decent things to you ;)

Honestly, read this.

@VWarrior Did you get the code on Sept 14th or earlier? I know Sept. 14th I signed up and the codes all started with "J" then. So if you got a code that day it should have been a "J" which would work. Though if you got it earlier it probably was a "L" code which had expired. Actually I reread your post and you said you got it on the 14th and used it then so that should have been a "J". Maybe I'm off a day as I might not have gotten a code until the 15th or so even though I got the membership on the 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back