Free EGM mag for US residents

I got one of these several months ago. Been wondering, how do they afford it? I know a lot of companies have trouble making profits off magazines nowadays, but EGM gave me a year's subscription away for free.

[quote name='Eleo']I got one of these several months ago. Been wondering, how do they afford it? I know a lot of companies have trouble making profits off magazines nowadays, but EGM gave me a year's subscription away for free.[/quote]
Ads.

The more subscribers they have the more they can charge advertisers.

[quote name='Eleo']I got one of these several months ago. Been wondering, how do they afford it? I know a lot of companies have trouble making profits off magazines nowadays, but EGM gave me a year's subscription away for free.[/QUOTE]

It's to boost their circulation numbers. If they can prove that they have "X number" of people receiving the magazine to advertisers then they can justify the price of advertising per page. Plus it looks good on quarterly reports when they can brag about how many subscribers they have. I guess it doesn't matter if only 10% of the subscribers actually pay.

[quote name='Eleo']I got one of these several months ago. Been wondering, how do they afford it? I know a lot of companies have trouble making profits off magazines nowadays, but EGM gave me a year's subscription away for free.[/quote]

Yep, i agree. I also have been getting their magazine through this offer since last year, and was wondering how they afford it. (I never expected it to actually work.)

Maybe they justify it as a vehicle to get ads to gamers who have income to buy games, like newspapers are trying to do.

Or maybe it is just a marketing person...and who knows what they are thinking.

In any case, i aint complaining nor asking questions. Thanks for posting this form Klezmer41, however. Hopefully it will renew my subscription.

perhaps they make more off the advertising then off the magazine sales themselves, great way to get the ads out there :lol:

[quote name='Organ Donor']Does anybody know if this will add another year to my subscription if I already get EGM?[/quote]
Usually these add a year, just make sure everything is the same as your current sub. If your current sub goes go Dave Smith and you sign up as David Smith you may get two mags each month (never tried it but it sort of makes sense).
[quote name='VGMaster75']Is this for one free mag or a year's subscription?[/quote]
Should be a year.

i got it and don't know what to do with it, because i don't have the patience to read a video game mag....so i use it to stop my door from blowing when it's windy

[quote name='strongpimphand']i got it and don't know what to do with it, because i don't have the patience to read a video game mag....so i use it to stop my door from blowing when it's windy[/quote]
I glance through my while in the bathroom then take it to a local paper mill.

I get EGM for free but I really don't feel the need to read it with all the info on the internet these days. I mostly just look at the pretty pictures. The magazine used to be much better about 10 years ago (was probably about 2x as many pages then)

Probably won't be long before this goes to digital media only either but thanks OP.

Yeah, I was gonna say, "Enjoy the free year, give or take six months."

Then again, without "Shoe" there now, they could take a 'new approach' and completely sell out to the high rollers in the industry. This would get them more exclusives, which would in turn get more immature,
'preview and good news-hungry' sniveling shits to buy/subscribe. Even that, however, might only buy them a little extra time. EGM out of print by the end of 2010. Count on it.

Thanks. Good mag. I picked up a subscription a few months ago. I'm going to see if it will extend for a year if I sign up for this one.

[quote name='mguiddy']Ads.

The more subscribers they have the more they can charge advertisers.[/quote]
Oh, didn't know it would work out that well.

Well, sheesh. How about every gaming mag do the same? Heh.

[quote name='VGMaster75']OK, what's the catch?[/quote]

No catch. I'm on my second free year of it.

Although the crappy mailbox section, more ads than articles, and sometimes absolutely retarded game reviews might be a catch, I guess.

Most printed publications (newspapers, magazines) make zero profit on their subscriptions.

In the case of the newspaper, your 50 cents per day doesn't even cover the cost of the paper it's printed on.

This is purely an ad-driven business. It's also not necessarily the volume of subscribers they have but the targeted demographic data that they have on those subscribers. This is what advertisers look for when they run a campaign.

Unlike the rest of you I read my magazines cover to cover. Online is one thing, but I like a printed magazine much better. It's much easier to pick up and read wherever I want.

An added bonus is my son usually reads the articles that interest him. He's done this since he was 4 (he started with Nintendo power). That's something I'd never get him to do online (he's only 6 now).

[quote name='Vinny']Anybody know of a way to find out how when your subscription ends?[/quote]

On the front cover where your address is printed, the end of the second line shows the expiration date. Mine says Sept 08.

Didn't Ziff Davis declare bankruptcy last year? I can't believe they're still giving away the magazine for free after that.

[quote name='Thrinn']Didn't Ziff Davis declare bankruptcy last year? I can't believe they're still giving away the magazine for free after that.[/quote]

The way they explained it was all the people that they're in debt with will own the company after coming out of bankruptcy. But they're still making a profit.

Hopefully this one will tack on, since the last 3 or 4 haven't went through.

Thanks. I had a free subscription a couple years ago, not all that good of a magazine but it's at least worth about as much as it costs.

Thanks, OP. I bought EGM at the newsstand from November 1997 (Issue 100)through 2006. If this works, my free subscription should be extended to October 2010!

[quote name='mguiddy']Ads.

The more subscribers they have the more they can charge advertisers.[/quote]

That's it exactly. I only subscribe to the Sat/Sun edition of my local newspaper, but they started to give Friday with it. Then about a year ago they gave away the whole week with it! They originally said that it would be for a limited time.:lol:

bread's done
Back