Free metalcase with preorder Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (NS) BESTBUY

Bleh they're making it hard. I have the NSW version preordered with Amazon because I have credit, but none of their editions have the 'steelbook'...the PS4 digital preorder has a sweet exclusive theme...BBY only has the 'steelbook' with the NSW version, which I now know is the interior version...wtf. This is starting to feel like a Ubisoft release. FWIW I do feel bad for the backers who paid premiums too. Definitely been burned by Kickstarters before too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleh they're making it hard. I have the NSW version preordered with Amazon because I have credit, but none of their editions have the 'steelbook'...the PS4 digital preorder has a sweet exclusive theme...BBY only has the 'steelbook' with the NSW version, which I now know is the interior version...wtf. This is starting to feel like a Ubisoft release. FWIW I do feel bad for the backers who paid premiums too. Definitely been burned by Kickstarters before too.
I have GCU so I'm buying the switch version for the steelbook and selling the game. I'll grab the PS4 version when it's cheaper.

Doing the math: 39.99 (correct?) for the game, 9.99 for the DLC + free case with switch game which according to my email bakers can pay 15$ to get.

Backers: 75$ for game and case with DLC
No backer: 49.98$ for all of the above.

That’s shitty of them looking deeper.

Doing the math: 39.99 (correct?) for the game, 9.99 for the DLC + free case with switch game which according to my email bakers can pay 15$ to get.

Yeah it’s garbage.

Out of over 50 Kickstarters that have successfully delivered physical products to me (mostly tabletop games), I cannot readily think of a single one that backers paid less for than what people could get it for at retail (provided the game got an actual retail release). It's pretty common knowledge at least in the tabletop gaming world that if you are backing a game, you will be paying more than what people down the line will pay. So the revelation that it will be cheaper at Best Buy isn't shocking or troubling to me; I backed the game so that the game could actually be made (no backers means no game would exist) and to guarantee that I got a physical version of the game (there's no guarantee that a wide release wouldn't have been digital-only or something like that). I'm one of the ones who voted for the exclusive content to be made available to everyone for a price as well because I hate Kickstarter-exclusive content.

The tabletops I’ve backed usually have real exclusive content- and I can eBay them if need be to cover my cost. Some video games are the same- Divinty series comes to mind.

I get that way back when we gave money to get the project going and so on. We paid more because we wanted to see it done. But i wish backers would get the option to pay shipping and get a metal case, or at least offer it to them for 10. Having a small limited amount for only some of the backers that get it in time for 15 sticks in my craw a bit because the backers are the ones who made it possible to even be sold at bestbuy.

But life is rarely fair, even more rare to be the kind of fair I think it should be. In the grand scheme of things a metal box for a game is insignificant.

Out of over 50 Kickstarters that have successfully delivered physical products to me (mostly tabletop games), I cannot readily think of a single one that backers paid less for than what people could get it for at retail (provided the game got an actual retail release). It's pretty common knowledge at least in the tabletop gaming world that if you are backing a game, you will be paying more than what people down the line will pay. So the revelation that it will be cheaper at Best Buy isn't shocking or troubling to me; I backed the game so that the game could actually be made (no backers means no game would exist) and to guarantee that I got a physical version of the game (there's no guarantee that a wide release wouldn't have been digital-only or something like that). I'm one of the ones who voted for the exclusive content to be made available to everyone for a price as well because I hate Kickstarter-exclusive content.
As someone who only backed like 6-8 games, gonna have to agree.

For the record, I'm glad everyone can access all the DLC. I am not glad that I paid more than the retail cost and I get less for my trouble.

Lesson learned, though. No more crowdfunding for me.

If it makes any of the other backers feel any better, we also got Curse of the Moon, which is pretty awesome, and we got to complain about the shitty beta until they made it better. At least, it looks better now.

If it makes any of the other backers feel any better, we also got Curse of the Moon, which is pretty awesome, and we got to complain about the shitty beta until they made it better. At least, it looks better now.
Still would've been much more cost effective to back at the lower 28 dollar tier. But nobody got screwed as much as the Linux backers.

For those bitching about kickstarter (and yes I was also a backer), you do realize that kickstarter is meant to "kickstart" the project and you are supporting the development of something you want to see become a reality. If you just want to pre-order shit, GameStop will be more than happy to help you out with that.

Would like to know that too, but I want to switch it with the PS4 version... After seeing the comparison video...wow.

I got mine today, but neither came with a packing slip. So I'm going to return it and see if I can swap it out with a PS4 version.

I got the switch version with the steelbook. It's really meant for the disc versions. The switch game card holder is just a removable plastic insert.

Unless you get an employee who doesn't care or who does it wrong, your refund will be deducted $14.99 plus tax for the metal case. A swap works similarly - return the Switch version, then charge the PS4 version. The metal case will ring up separately for the PS4 sale with no automatic deduction.

For those bitching about kickstarter (and yes I was also a backer), you do realize that kickstarter is meant to "kickstart" the project and you are supporting the development of something you want to see become a reality. If you just want to pre-order shit, GameStop will be more than happy to help you out with that.
Agree, Kickstarter is never a pre-order. It is a investment to have a game to have the "possibility" to be made. You are not entitled to get it for cheaper. Hell you are not even entitled to have a finish product. It is an investment, and investment CAN fail.

Agree, Kickstarter is never a pre-order. It is a investment to have a game to have the "possibility" to be made. You are not entitled to get it for cheaper. Hell you are not even entitled to have a finish product. It is an investment, and investment CAN fail.
Except it's not an investment, it's a binding agreement between the backer and the creator that they will deliver a certain product, you know, kinda like a preorder. If they don't deliver the product, they have certain steps they need to follow including accounting for the money that was pledged and communicating about what happened. Honestly, there is a reason people don't back these campaigns anymore and it's mostly because of all the morons who constantly try and explain that Kickstarter is not a preorder when most campaign creators treat it exactly like it is, often having a publisher in the wings before the campaign even ends.

That is not a pre-order.  A normal pre-order you can cancel anytime and the pre-order money is NOT used for development of a product.  Not to mention when you preorder, most of the time you are not even charged till the product ship in case like Amazon or Best Buy preorder.  In a kick-starter, you money is actually USED  to development of a possible product.  That is how investing in a product work, your money is use to development of a possible product.  

You are all correct about Kickstarter.  Its an investment platform, and you might back a total bust.  But game producers treat it like a pre-order system, and want their backers to use it as such, so they can get the money way in advance.

It's not like this is the first system to work in such a manner though.

That is not a pre-order. A normal pre-order you can cancel anytime and the pre-order money is NOT used for development of a product. Not to mention when you preorder, most of the time you are not even charged till the product ship in case like Amazon or Best Buy preorder. In a kick-starter, you money is actually USED to development of a possible product. That is how investing in a product work, your money is use to development of a possible product.
And if they don't secure funds required for the project you get your money back. That's why it is not investing. Investing suggests you're risking your money for a chance at a larger return of money. When you kickstart a project you are giving them money in exchange for a product that otherwise wouldn't be funded. So in essence yes it is sort of a pre order because you're paying upfront for a product with the idea that if enough people do it and they reach their dollar goal all those people will get something for their money.

The word you want is supporting, but it most certainly not investing.

And if they don't secure funds required for the project you get your money back. That's why it is not investing. Investing suggests you're risking your money for a chance at a larger return of money. When you kickstart a project you are giving them money in exchange for a product that otherwise wouldn't be funded. So in essence yes it is sort of a pre order because you're paying upfront for a product with the idea that if enough people do it and they reach their dollar goal all those people will get something for their money.

The word you want is supporting, but it most certainly not investing.
I suppose support would be a better terms but none the less, money got refund if goal is not met since they have not been used yet. But there risk factor is definitely way higher in kickstarter then the good old pre-order. Those who kickstarter game definitely risking their money for the possibility of a product being made. Now is it good or not is not the question. There are plenty of cases where project fail and the money been use up and naturally no refund. You are investing money NOT to made money here but for a possibility of a game you truly want to exist.

Unless you get an employee who doesn't care or who does it wrong, your refund will be deducted $14.99 plus tax for the metal case. A swap works similarly - return the Switch version, then charge the PS4 version. The metal case will ring up separately for the PS4 sale with no automatic deduction.
I don't suppose you can give more details on this. Why would you be deducted the 14.99 if the metal case rang up as 0.00 on the receipt? Does the system give a prompt or reduce the price? I would be nice for the switch buyers to swap to the PS4 version without penalty if possible.

I don't suppose you can give more details on this. Why would you be deducted the 14.99 if the metal case rang up as 0.00 on the receipt? Does the system give a prompt or reduce the price? I would be nice for the switch buyers to swap to the PS4 version without penalty if possible.
It's a bundle tied to purchasing the Switch version. You can buy the case for $14.99 alone. Why would they give it to you for purchasing the wrong version?

I got the switch version with the steelbook. It's really meant for the disc versions. The switch game card holder is just a removable plastic insert.
I made a gif of how sturdy it is :

av8wVqv.gif

It's a bundle tied to purchasing the Switch version. You can buy the case for $14.99 alone. Why would they give it to you for purchasing the wrong version?
I pre-ordered it on Switch and canceled the order on Sunday after I bought the PS4 version of the game. Best Buy still send me the metal case in the mail yesterday. Worked out well for me since the case is actually much better for the PS4 version of the game.

The Switch version turned out to be "trash on the go" I wonder how many people would still blindly waste their money on something this poorly made....lol

The Switch version turned out to be "trash on the go" I wonder how many people would still blindly waste their money on something this poorly made....lol
Maybe that's one of the reasons why this metalcase promo was tagged to the Switch version. :)

The whole Switch fiasco is amazing. What is even more amazing is reading their twitter feed and seeing all of the replies thanking them and their response to the situation. Most people are completely ignoring that they knowingly shipped a broken product with the intention of fixing it later. At least with the other consoles they broken them after shipping. The unpatched version sounds like it's playable. The Switch version is going to be borderline unplayable unpatched. And their comment about the day 1 patch not doing as much as they hoped? haha.... That is amazing. As if they didn't know what the day 1 patch did! Then they ask for people to post their specific issues and I'm thinking "how about you play the game?"

This metalcase that is a free promo item for the Switch only with a goofy plastic switch holder that falls out of the case is the perfect representation of the Switch version of the game. The Switch part of the case basically throws itself away and it already has a spot to put your PS4/XBOX disc when you have to go buy that version instead in order to actually play the game.

This metalcase that is a free promo item for the Switch only with a goofy plastic switch holder that falls out of the case is the perfect representation of the Switch version of the game. The Switch part of the case basically throws itself away and it already has a spot to put your PS4/XBOX disc when you have to go buy that version instead in order to actually play the game.
From what I've seen I'd agree. The PS4/XB1 versions were in development for years, the Switch port was added last minute and turned out poorly (just like the Switch cart holder for the metalcase).

To be fair, the devs were kind of in a no-win situation with regard to the port. If they delayed the Switch version to address the blatant issues, the Switch crowd would've cried bloody murder. When they released it anyway, the Switch crowd are still crying bloody murder. If they had delayed the Switch version, maybe they could've spent some of that time resolving the issues in other versions instead, though.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why this metalcase promo was tagged to the Switch version. :)
I have my suspicions about this... They knew the Switch version was broken, so they delayed it a week and released it after reviews were out. Then they bundled the steelbook specifically for Switch so it would still sell copies to collectors. Honestly I'd have been fine waiting until they were done with the game to buy the Switch version...I'm not down for spending full price on a poorly optimized 3DS game.

To be fair, the devs were kind of in a no-win situation with regard to the port. If they delayed the Switch version to address the blatant issues, the Switch crowd would've cried bloody murder. When they released it anyway, the Switch crowd are still crying bloody murder. If they had delayed the Switch version, maybe they could've spent some of that time resolving the issues in other versions instead, though.
There is one no-win situation that should be much worse than the other, aside from them getting a revenue stream from selling Switch copies. Then again, based on the weird Twitter reactions, maybe they were right to release it. Usually, the internet and social media are pretty rough, so it is really weird to see so many people praising the dev team because they said they would address their broken game. Total forgiveness for knowingly shipping an unfinished product - as long as they say they'll try and fix it, that's good enough for many.

There is one no-win situation that should be much worse than the other, aside from them getting a revenue stream from selling Switch copies. Then again, based on the weird Twitter reactions, maybe they were right to release it. Usually, the internet and social media are pretty rough, so it is really weird to see so many people praising the dev team because they said they would address their broken game. Total forgiveness for knowingly shipping an unfinished product - as long as they say they'll try and fix it, that's good enough for many.
If they didn't release it on the Switch, I'm sure the backlash would've been just as bad. When the Hat in Time devs said they weren't planning a Switch port (which they've since done), the Switch hordes were furious for weeks until they found something else to be mad about.

Regardless, it does seem like they're taking the right steps now and I'm grateful for that. I don't plan on playing it immediately so it's ultimately not impactful to me, but I still appreciate a developer wanting to do right by its audience.

Switch version is "playable" but inferior. It was leaked last week, a day or 2 after the release of ps4 and Xbox. Those in the "know" knew how it really is.

The Switch version really is awful. It is inexcusably slow and laggy.

The PC version is glorious.

bread's done
Back