Free metalcase with preorder Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (NS) BESTBUY

I will definitely be trying to do this over the weekend. Going to go with the Xbox version and try returning the switch. I like the steel book enough though even if they charge me the 1499 for it I'll pay it.
They'll charge you $14.99 for the case. There's no getting it for free.
The metal case is a separate SKU and you should just be able to return the Switch version without any issue since that's the item you paid for.

I lucked out when I cancelled my pre-order. Since they were separate items canceling the game didn't automatically cancel the 'FREE' metal case and I received it in the mail on Tuesday. Bought the game on PS4 at Wal-Mart over the weekend after hearing and seeing how bad the Switch port is. Was pretty happy to find out that the metal case is much better suited for the PS4 version too.

The metal case is a separate SKU and you should just be able to return the Switch version without any issue since that's the item you paid for.

I lucked out when I cancelled my pre-order. Since they were separate items canceling the game didn't automatically cancel the 'FREE' metal case and I received it in the mail on Tuesday. Bought the game on PS4 at Wal-Mart over the weekend after hearing and seeing how bad the Switch port is. Was pretty happy to find out that the metal case is much better suited for the PS4 version too.
It would be very weird if anyone got the case for free after returning/cancelling the Switch game - it doesn't matter that it's a separate SKU. They should be bundling it and returning one item from the bundle isn't going to give you a full refund. You should check and make sure you didn't get charged for the case. You should have. Best Buy has had some weird issues in the past (like that period where any cancelled movies would get shipped for free) so I won't say it's impossible, but it's not how it's supposed to work.

It would be very weird if anyone got the case for free after returning/cancelling the Switch game - it doesn't matter that it's a separate SKU. They should be bundling it and returning one item from the bundle isn't going to give you a full refund. You should check and make sure you didn't get charged for the case. You should have. Best Buy has had some weird issues in the past (like that period where any cancelled movies would get shipped for free) so I won't say it's impossible, but it's not how it's supposed to work.
Thanks for the heads up as it looks like they charged me after the fact. The slip in the package had it listed as $0.00

I want the case so it's not a big deal, but assumed when I canceled the game the pre-order bonus would also be canceled. I assume these are sold out by now too and looks like they are going for about $20-$30 on eBay already......

My game was the full charge and the metal case was free on the invoice in my orders online. But I am keeping both so it really doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I could see the game chugging with the current gen effects, it’s nuts that the port runs so poorly with the downgraded visual style. It easily should be 60 FPS in this state.

The steelbook is actually really nice compared to the last few I've gotten from Best buy. The Cover is holographic and has a glossy finish to prevent scratching. The printing is super crisp and colorful. Hope more of these steel cases are like this in the future. 

Check your payment method as you will likely see a separate $14.99 charge in the next few days.
Yep, thats what they do. And watch it when you order a preorder that has a free digital code of any kind that they say is a X.XX value. Those they will charge you that amount after the fact and refuse to refund you since it was digital even though the product page says nothing about it.

I ordered the switch version just for the steelbook. If anyone wants the switch release at GCU price let me know before I return it.

Took mine back no issues. Took out the 14.99. I KS'd the Switch version but couldn't change my platform so I picked up the XB1X version. Looking forward to a DF breakdown soon.

I'm keeping my switch version because I just price matched it to Amazon for $32.84, sold the metal case because I don't care for it. Net cost for the game is $7.50. I can handle ps2 graphics on a new game for $7.50. hopefully complete it in time to trade into GameStop for free playthrough

Never knew they will stealth charge you for something like that.  Good to know. 

Think I will still keep the Steelbook though because it's very pretty

The case is really nice, but I can’t justify keeping the switch version that runs so poorly, and can’t justify 15 for the case.

They both go back.

Just so you know if you return the switch game, they will charge you for the steelcase 14.99.  It is consider a bundle. 

The case is really nice, but I can’t justify keeping the switch version that runs so poorly, and can’t justify 15 for the case.

They both go back.
God this is my dilemma right now. The case is so nice but the switch version is so broken...

Has anyone seen the case out on store shelves for purchase? I know they've done that in the past, at least I'm pretty sure my BB has. Thinking about swinging by tomorrow and seeing if I can get one.

God this is my dilemma right now. The case is so nice but the switch version is so broken...
And this is probably the reason why it's only available with the Switch version. No other reason not to include it with the other platforms since it clearly can hold a disc.

Has anyone seen the case out on store shelves for purchase? I know they've done that in the past, at least I'm pretty sure my BB has. Thinking about swinging by tomorrow and seeing if I can get one.
I didn't see any out on the shelves, but I was able to have an employee pull one from a cage and scan it for me. The case rings up at the $14.99 price, so I just bought it separately.

For those of you that purchased the Switch version did the receipt have the game and the steel case on it?

Yes it does. The steel book reflects as $0.00.
That’s what I thought I had read.

To those saying I will be charged, I preordered the game the day the news about the steelbook came out. My receipt then and when I picked up only had the game.

And this is probably the reason why it's only available with the Switch version. No other reason not to include it with the other platforms since it clearly can hold a disc.
That's what I think too. It's annoying but it might be enough to make me keep the Switch version. I'll hit up Best Buy tomorrow and see what I can do, but I'm not too hopeful.

I didn't see any out on the shelves, but I was able to have an employee pull one from a cage and scan it for me. The case rings up at the $14.99 price, so I just bought it separately.
Will have to see if my Best Buy has any, and if they'll let me purchase one. Thanks!

I saw a dozen on the shelf at my local BB. Other steel books in the cage, but this one was on the shelf.

Also, the PS4 version is itself pretty glitchy, so switch might be intolerable. One boss stopped attacking, fell through the floor on another boss. Numerous item drops into walls or just hang in mid air and can’t be collected. Also, one random crash just killed the game outright.

The game is enjoyable, but for five years developing, it sure doesn’t show it. I mean timespinner probably cost a fraction of this to make and isn’t this buggy.

I cancelled my switch version but the case was still ready for pickup when I got Mario maker 2. Lady said I could take it or let it auto cancel. I did tell them I cancelled the game. They still let me take it. Hope I get my money back from the game.

I saw a dozen on the shelf at my local BB. Other steel books in the cage, but this one was on the shelf.

Also, the PS4 version is itself pretty glitchy, so switch might be intolerable. One boss stopped attacking, fell through the floor on another boss. Numerous item drops into walls or just hang in mid air and can’t be collected. Also, one random crash just killed the game outright.

The game is enjoyable, but for five years developing, it sure doesn’t show it. I mean timespinner probably cost a fraction of this to make and isn’t this buggy.
While I adore the game I agree 100% that it doesn't feel like a game with a several million dollar budget and 5 years of development behind it. La-Mulana 2 is one of the highest quality Metroidvanias I've played and its KS made $266,000. that doesn't account for outside investments of course but I highly doubt some millionaire invested a modest fortune towards it.

Hit 2 different Best Buys over the weekend. Both of them had one case out on the shelves. One of them had the price / bar code sticker right on the case (ugh). Fortunately, the other had it in a plastic sleeve, with the sticker on the sleeve, instead of the case. Picked that one up. Nice case!

Hit 2 different Best Buys over the weekend. Both of them had one case out on the shelves. One of them had the price / bar code sticker right on the case (ugh). Fortunately, the other had it in a plastic sleeve, with the sticker on the sleeve, instead of the case. Picked that one up. Nice case!
Yeah I decided to keep the NSW version because I love the case so much. Price matched Amazon so I feel better about the price too. Hoping they patch the thing by the time I get around to playing it.

I am loving this game on PS4.

I picked up the Switch version and I think the metal case is beautiful.  Been trying to decide what to do with the Switch game, think I'm going to return it and just pay for the case.  Definitely worth it to me.

I am loving this game on PS4.

I picked up the Switch version and I think the metal case is beautiful. Been trying to decide what to do with the Switch game, think I'm going to return it and just pay for the case. Definitely worth it to me.
Same here. About halfway through the game on PS4 and loving it. Will likely never play the switch version at all. But yeah, that case is a thing of beauty.

I've thought about returning the Switch version but I like the steelcase and I'm expecting this to be patched to fix a lot of the issues.  If not that's fine I'll just buy it in a couple of years for $5 or $10 bucks on Steam.

Have been holding off on this for some time but with $30 of rewards decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.  I see they are saying a fix is targeted towards mid-July.

I'd keep expectations low on what they can "fix" on the Switch port. I think the input delay can likely be lowered, and they may be able to improve performance in some of the problem areas, but I just don't see them greatly improving performance without it coming at the expense of either a further resolution drop or cutting even more visual effects. 

Everyone seems to love to point out the amazing work Panic Button did with Doom and Wolfenstein, but forget those are on the extremely optimized Id Tech 6 engine. The fairest comparison would be their work on Rocket League since it uses the same engine as Bloodstained, and while they were able to hit 60 FPS the game took extreme visual downgrades to get there. It's also worth considering that Bloodstained generally has more models on screen, with a lot more detail. Unreal just runs like shit on the Switch and the core team has no real experience with the system. Maybe if WayForward is more involved than it seems they can pull off a miracle. I'm not saying the dev team is without fault and it does suck if you ONLY play games on Switch, but just looking at other games on the platform led me to temper expectations.

I'm gonna put the metal case on the shelf, start filming, then pick it up & lick it, then return it to the shelf, waiting for someone to get my diseases.
Thank You, Internet!

I am about half ways through now. It is a great game if you dont know what SOTN is or are looking for something really similar (sometimes it is just out right a copy). That being said, I am seeing what everyone is saying with the latency and some minor glitches. All around though, a game regardless of these issues.

I am about half ways through now. It is a great game if you dont know what SOTN is or are looking for something really similar (sometimes it is just out right a copy). That being said, I am seeing what everyone is saying with the latency and some minor glitches. All around though, a game regardless of these issues.
I’m about that far into it on the switch version as well. Handheld mode has a ton of slowdown, but it’s never been unplayable for me. I’ve had two crashes, one early in the game where I didn’t have a nearby save point. During the two headed dragon fight a glitch sent me down one level of the tower making the fight extremely easy. There are occasions where items get stuck in walls/floors. I find the iconography on the map incomprehensible, and have yet to find an in-game legend (why is there a purple diamond in an empty room? Why are there quest markers that seem to appear and disappear but seem unrelated to any current or unclaimed quest?)

Despite all of this, it may be my favorite game of the year. It is effectively SotN for modern consoles, and that is more than OK with me (the Medusa Head/Dullhammers still suck, though; and if I’m ever in a giant clock tower filled with huge gears it might trigger PTSD).

I’m hoping there are performance improvements with the DLC as it’s released. Otherwise I’d probably want to do future playthroughs on another system.

Best Buy recently started offering this case for free with PS4/XB1 versions as well as Switch.
i checked the last 2 or 3 days. metal case is gone online. none in stock around my area. the price was at $23.99 after GCU. now its back up to regular price.

bread's done
Back