Free month of Blockbuster Total Access = Discounted Game rentals, free movie rentals

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Link to promotion page

I don't know the details on how discounted the game rentals are, but I bet some CAGs do.

This limited time offer, ends May 8th, to try BLOCKBUSTER Total Access FREE for one whole month! The plan details are:
  • $9.99 per month after trial
  • 2 DVDs per month, 1 at a time
  • Up to 2 In-Store Exchanges per month
  • No Due Dates or Late Fees for Online Rentals
  • Share Movie Recommendations with Friends and Family
  • Choose from over 80,000 titles
With BLOCKBUSTER Total Access, you can exchange your Online DVDs for free in-store movie rentals, up to the monthly limit set by your plan. Or, you can enjoy a discount on game rentals with the exchange of your Online DVD envelope at participating locations. (Discounted game rentals count toward your pre-determined number of monthly exchanges.) If the pre-determined number of free in-store exchanges is met during the calendar month, you have the ability to exchange your Online DVDs for discounted movie rentals for the remainder of the month. The pre-determined number for free in-store exchanges is reset at the start of the calendar month.

Can't find anything on their site, but I assume the discount is the cost of a DVD rental subtracted from a game rental (the site mentions an estimated value of $4.00).

actually i had total access a while ago when it first started and it was great..i was getting like three movies out at a time with unlimited returns. as for the video games, it wasnt much of a discount. the games would still cost you like four bucks or a lttile more. Im not sure the exact price, I just now it was nothing spectacular. I dropped the service cause they kept up-ing the price without notifying me and its mad expensive now ( its like 30 bucks for 3 dvds+unlimited returns)

Yea, all game rentals are $5 rather than $8 when you use one of your exchanges. There are better promo codes out there, but Cheapy's gotta make his money somehow before he starts charging us $100 a year ;-).

I remember the days of unlimited in store game rentals for around $20 I want to say. I'm sure that came in handy for anyone who had a modded x-box:whistle2:#.

Then when things went online you used to get three coupons each month for instore rentals. Those were good for games or movies. BB then cut it to one coupon.

Now we are down to a $3 discount with no coupons, still a savings but I miss the good old days (3 years ago):D.

[quote name='52club']I remember the days of unlimited in store game rentals for around $20 I want to say. I'm sure that came in handy for anyone who had a modded x-box:whistle2:#.
.[/quote]

The unlimited instore game rentals is still around, but its $21.99 instead of $19.99, or you can get 2 games out for $30 a month. You're better off using one of the exchanges, or a coupon if you only plan on playing one game that month. Even straight up rental it only costs $9.25 to rent a game for a month and a half.

It's strange that they keep changing the plans. I have (and have had for over a year) a $17.99 plan w/ 3 DVDs at a time, unlimited mailings and unlimted in-store exchanges. On top of that, I get two coupons per month for an in-store movie OR game rental for free. But while my plan is still active, it doesnt look like there is an option for this to new signups/switches. Hmmmmm....

I'll just keep exchanging my HD-DVD rentals from BlockBuster Online for Blu-Ray rentals in store :) kinda surprised they let you do that as free instead of a discount from the normal rental price like they do with video games

[quote name='buckythekat']I'll just keep exchanging my HD-DVD rentals from BlockBuster Online for Blu-Ray rentals in store :) kinda surprised they let you do that as free instead of a discount from the normal rental price like they do with video games[/quote]

I exchange normal DVDs for Blu-Rays as well. Haven't had any issues with that yet :)

[quote name='hostyl1']It's strange that they keep changing the plans. I have (and have had for over a year) a $17.99 plan w/ 3 DVDs at a time, unlimited mailings and unlimted in-store exchanges. On top of that, I get two coupons per month for an in-store movie OR game rental for free. But while my plan is still active, it doesnt look like there is an option for this to new signups/switches. Hmmmmm....[/QUOTE]

you probally was grandfatherd in.

game exchange is 4.99 for ps2/ps3/psp/ wii/ xbox 360 games save 2 bucks

they dont take anything off DS game rentals.

i got 3 at a time MAIL return only for 15.99 going to be cancelling come monday (after my 3 movies ship for the week)

local family video has FREE half price rentals for 2 weeks. I can use the RENT 1 Get 1 free movie.

2 new release movies 1.50 ( 75 cents each)
2 new games 5 day rental 3.00 (1.50 per rental.)

if i had PS3 or a xbox 360 of my own it would be worth staying with family video. I don tknow of any other place that you can rent PS3 or XBOX 360 games 5 days for 1.50

I had blockbuster online rentals when it first came out. Was pretty satisfied with the service. Much better than Gamenflix because they actually shipped me stuff on my list every week.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Seems like Netflix is still a better deal...[/quote]

All I see from Netflix are two-week trials, so I don't really see how it's better if you're just looking for a 1-month trial...

at least for me....

blockbuster 2-3 days each way
netflix 1 day each way...

blockbuster.... movies ship monday get them weds... report them thursday. get movies saturday........ up to 6 movies per week (sometimes report wont work)

netflix movies ship monday get tues. movies ship weds get friday 6 easy movies per week

i figure i get 15 to 18 movies Via blockbuster per month..... while 22 to 24 via netlfix

also remember Netflix has unlimited computer viewing now

[quote name='hostyl1']It's strange that they keep changing the plans. I have (and have had for over a year) a $17.99 plan w/ 3 DVDs at a time, unlimited mailings and unlimted in-store exchanges. On top of that, I get two coupons per month for an in-store movie OR game rental for free. But while my plan is still active, it doesnt look like there is an option for this to new signups/switches. Hmmmmm....[/quote]I'm on that plan, but it's up to $19.99 now. Switched a few months ago. If I rent two games a month with my coupons, that almost pays for it by itself ($16).

[quote name='slidecage']at least for me....

blockbuster 2-3 days each way
netflix 1 day each way...

blockbuster.... movies ship monday get them weds... report them thursday. get movies saturday........ up to 6 movies per week (sometimes report wont work)

netflix movies ship monday get tues. movies ship weds get friday 6 easy movies per week

i figure i get 15 to 18 movies Via blockbuster per month..... while 22 to 24 via netlfix

also remember Netflix has unlimited computer viewing now[/quote]

My experience is totally opposite, I get more from Blockbuster than Netflix. Plus Netflix I could never get any New Releases, but Blockbuster I get them in the mail on the release day.

I used Blockbuster for a while, but I can't really justify the price for the amount of movies I watch (I'm so busy with work and playing games/trading games). The game rental thing never made sense to me either...why pay like $8 to rent a game when you can easily buy a game for that much (especially using CAG deals and such). I do subscribe to Gamefly, but only because I love their service that lets you keep the games and get the mint manuals/cases and their sales are pretty good too. I wish Blockbuster would just mail games and movies and then I'd finally switch back.

It'll probably happen eventually seeing as they have a lot of competition these days.

Well I've tried both.

Blockbuster for me did take a day or two to get me a movie, but the in store check in is nice (although the prices they are charging for it now are insane).

We are currently in a 2 week trial of Netflix and the movies do get here next day usually. But I'm not liking all these stories I read about Netflix jumping around yoru queue and choosing movies in different orders.

I would definitely recommend trying the 1 month trial at BB. It's a free month of movies!

You can also check your movies in at Blockbuster same day, vs mailing them back out. You don't have to exchange them, just ask them to check your movies in.

[quote name='CombatCraig']We are currently in a 2 week trial of Netflix and the movies do get here next day usually. But I'm not liking all these stories I read about Netflix jumping around yoru queue and choosing movies in different orders.

I would definitely recommend trying the 1 month trial at BB. It's a free month of movies![/QUOTE]

That shouldn't happen unless it can't get you a disc on the first day, and you can tell what's going on with that by viewing your queue.

So far I've had Netflix for a year and been blown away by it, but I am always paranoid I'll start getting throttled (although even then as long as I still get a decent number of discs a month I'd be very happy with it).

when it came to the two, i loved netflix more.

BB would take near a week for me to get the crap. NF would take a day, two at most. Both processing plants are almost exactly 90 miles from my town.

Yea, BB allowed in store exchanges, but those price hikes bothered me. Netflix was more stable and reliable.

The only complaint I had was NF NEVER HAD HIGH DEF MOVIES IN STOCK!!!! Or the ones I wanted. So Iwould create a fake account for blockbuster for those periods of time and get my HD fix (because i don't have a local store that rents HD)

Canceled both though. Like I mentioned above, though I hate it, pirating > all. Then you can choose if you want something or not.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That shouldn't happen unless it can't get you a disc on the first day, and you can tell what's going on with that by viewing your queue.

So far I've had Netflix for a year and been blown away by it, but I am always paranoid I'll start getting throttled (although even then as long as I still get a decent number of discs a month I'd be very happy with it).[/QUOTE]

at lease with me with netflix. before i left them

they would limit New release movies to 9 per month. if all i had was new release movies nothing would ship

i would have 3 open slots on sunday

MOVIE A B C comes out tuesday --- ships monday

Nothing ships monday
Tuesday MOVIE A B C are now LONG WAIT OR VERY LONG WAIT

now the first 2 weeks i would get all of the new release movies but as soon as i hit around 9 (or the 3rd week) they would pull it every month

[quote name='slidecage']at lease with me with netflix. before i left them

they would limit New release movies to 9 per month. if all i had was new release movies nothing would ship

i would have 3 open slots on sunday

MOVIE A B C comes out tuesday --- ships monday

Nothing ships monday
Tuesday MOVIE A B C are now LONG WAIT OR VERY LONG WAIT

now the first 2 weeks i would get all of the new release movies but as soon as i hit around 9 (or the 3rd week) they would pull it every month[/quote]

Thats how it was with me I rarely got new releases unless it was not a very popular movie (example:not in theatres), so I just switched to Blockbuster and have been getting new releases in mail on the release day ever since.

I tried this a while back last year for 2 for 14.99 with unlimited in store exchanges, now its double that price 2 for 29.99.

Like i said, there are better coupon codes out there. The current one i'm using is 3 out at a time, unlimited instore exchanges, 1 game/movie coupon for $20 a month.

Another trick is to use a pre-paid debit card with not enough $ on it. They'll keep trying to charge your card for up to 6 weeks past the 1 month trial, while still sending you movies. When they do cancel your account, you can change the address on it, then start a whole new trial again.

[quote name='Bezerker']
Like i said, there are better coupon codes out there. The current one i'm using is 3 out at a time, unlimited instore exchanges, 1 game/movie coupon for $20 a month.[/quote]

where did you get that coupon?

edit: weird I know I didn't use that part of the quote, fixed now

[quote name='Bezerker']Another trick is to use a pre-paid debit card with not enough $ on it. They'll keep trying to charge your card for up to 6 weeks past the 1 month trial, while still sending you movies. When they do cancel your account, you can change the address on it, then start a whole new trial again.[/QUOTE]

Which is also known as theft.

The Total Access package I have is excellent. $22 for 3 out at a time, unlimited exchanges in-store and 1 free movie or game rental per month.

Unfortunately they now limit your in-store exchanges to like 5 per month and they no longer offer the free movie / game coupon -- I think the package I have either doesn't exist, or is a lot more expensive. Fortunately they grandfathered me.

Shipping turnaround for me is usually next day. Return movie in store and I get my next movie the following day. But they have a distribution center in Cleveland which is 30 minutes away from me, so this helps.

It's a free trial, there's no reason to wait. BBOnline isn't as good as Netflix, but they are getting much closer each day...I have got nothing but extraordinary service from them. At most I've waited an extra day.

I've used them for a while, was originally introduced to them via Xbox360Achiever (where I got a bonus 1600 MPs for trying them out).

Liked the service, used them for a couple months, then got to a point where I was tired of watching movies :drool: They recently sent me an offer for a free trial which I immediately took them up on.

I've already received four movies in 12 days. Tonight I'll be returning the mailer so I can rent a movie at the B&M, and get the next one in my online queue on its way.

At worst, you got to watch a few free movies. At best, you realize that Blockbuster is inching ever so closely to being more convenient than Netflix.
[quote name='Wolfpup']Which is also known as theft.[/quote]:applause:

[quote name='daminion']The Total Access package I have is excellent. $22 for 3 out at a time, unlimited exchanges in-store and 1 free movie or game rental per month.

Unfortunately they now limit your in-store exchanges to like 5 per month and they no longer offer the free movie / game coupon -- I think the package I have either doesn't exist, or is a lot more expensive. Fortunately they grandfathered me.

Shipping turnaround for me is usually next day. Return movie in store and I get my next movie the following day. But they have a distribution center in Cleveland which is 30 minutes away from me, so this helps.[/QUOTE]

I've been grandfathered at $17 for 2 out at a time, unlimited in store exchange and 1 free movie or game coupon per month. I've been happy with it, but it sucks that I don't live near a blockbuster right now so I haven't been taking advantage of the instore stuff like I was where I lived previously. I've decided that I'll hold on the service as long as they don't bump the price for me anymore (they bumped my monthly fee once from something closer to $15 to $17), I figure that if I move again and I'm closer to a Blockbuster the free monthly game rentals and in store movie exchanges will make it worth it.

fuck Blockbuster and their bait and switch policies. I was a member of BB online from 1/07 - 9/07 (when the first price hike and lower plan happened.) Blockbuster Online/Total Access even canceled me since I didn't opt in for price hike they auto-canceled my prepaid subscription with almost three weeks left that I already paid for that was supposed to be auto canceled at the end of my paid month if I didn't resubscribe with the price hike. Me getting my paid subscription canceled was blamed on a "Computer glitch" and had to jump through hoops to get the rest of my subscription time I paid for. I wasn't an abuser of the system by any means but I did use the total access program as it was advertised.

Blockbuster lost almost 1 million customers from the first price hike last fall to reply to the loss of customers BB CEO James Keyes said, "Many of those subscribers cost his company more than they were worth." Keyes basically trumped Best Buy's "devil customers" quote not wanting customers that won't play along with their bait and switch moves by offering a decent deal with regular price hikes while gimping subscriptions. All of us customers that were "costing" the company were just using the service as it was advertised to be.

The plan that is now $34.99 was $16.99 last summer ($17 plan also had a free monthly game rental that no longer exists.)

I switched to Blockbuster from Netflix when they first started the online program. I was tired of Netflix's poor quality control and getting unplayable dvd's that would skip and lock up due to scratches. I have nothing but good things to say about Blockbuster online. I am grandfathered in with the 3 out at a time plus unlimited exchanges and two free game rental coupons for 19.99 a month. They offer real good service, fast turn around time, and very good quality control on the condition of there dvds.

With On Demand programming, I have not stepped foot in a blockbuster or rented a movie in years. I have to think that most people are like me and bockbuster videos have to be dying a slow death...

Plus DVDS are soo cheap to just buy over renting.

I've had Blockbuster Total access for just a couple of months, and while their service is quick, they have already sent me two dvds that were so scratched up that they were completely unplayable (poor quality control)

[quote name='Poor2More']2 Dvd's a Month/ 1 at a time? This is the worst blockbuster promotion I ever seen, Good luck[/quote]

That's about what blockbuster has been reduced to. The service is good but to really take full advantage, you have to live near one.

I've had the old blockbuster online service (w/ the unlimited in-store returns, and the game rentals coupons and it was the shit.) Somehow I canceled the plan the day before it changed (so I couldn't be grandfathered in.....silly me) So, I went to Netflix. The multiple queues, faster turnaround, wider selection, and online viewing were great. But at the end of the day, being able to drive to pick up something on a whim is what swayed me.

But yeah this promo is pretty bad.

Does anyone have the plan with limited monthly returns. I was wondering your monthly exchange counts towards games. For instance, if I have 3 exchanges in store and I rent 2 discounted games, does it mean I only have 1 movie exchange left or is game rental not counted?

I used to have the unlimited plan before the rate hike and I canceled it. I might just go ahead and get this trial under my girlfriends name.

Thanks

I just signed up for the Netflix trial having not tried either service. I already watched an instant (Bullitt), and There will be blood should be here in around 30 minutes :)
I think for $9/mo it's worth it......

I have the blockbuster 2 movies at a time plan for $19 monthly, and I am very happy with the service, I get movies out whenever I feel like it, cause I ALWAYS have the movies shipped to me in less than 1 week day. I get 1 free game or movie rental every month in an email coupon. When I rent out a movie for free using one of the envelopes, usually the store lets me keep them a few more days than the due date. I recommend this service.

I signed up via the link.. already had another month trial going, but it was unlimited/month one a time.. this is 2/month so I guess for free I don't mind signing up for another 4 rentals this month, considering a few good movies come out I'd like to see.

[quote name='orgy08']Does anyone have the plan with limited monthly returns. I was wondering your monthly exchange counts towards games. For instance, if I have 3 exchanges in store and I rent 2 discounted games, does it mean I only have 1 movie exchange left or is game rental not counted?

I used to have the unlimited plan before the rate hike and I canceled it. I might just go ahead and get this trial under my girlfriends name.

Thanks[/quote]

Yes, those do count. And after you reach you monthly limit, the in store exchange is good for about a half price discount on movie rentals (so the rental comes out to be about $2 and change.) I don't know what the game rental cost would be though.

We've been grandfathered in for a while:

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium
$17.99 / month (plus taxes)
3 at-a-time, Unlimited mailings
Unlimited in-store movie exchanges
+2 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month

What's really strange to is that we seem to get 4 movies out at a time, rather than 3. We reported one movie missing at one point (cause we thought we had sent it back and they never received it), only to find it a few months later. When we dropped it off at the store (we didn't exchange it for a movie, just dropped it off), they sent us another movie through the mail. Ever since, we get 4 movies out at a time.

LOL i just got a warrning from Blockbuster... the last 3 movies i got was scratched and skipped

basic email says that im using REPORT DVD issue too much and my account has been placed on a watch list.... IF i keep doing this my account will be cancelled

just wrote back and told then they can take your Scratched up pieces of #$#$# dvds and stick them where the sun dont shine...... back to netflix i go..

o by the way if you RETURN the movies instore.... YOU MUST HAND THEM TO A WORKER...... 2 weeks back i got a movie that was broke and returned it in the store... store was closed so i dropped all my movies in the return box... like i was told to by a worker..... well blockbuster tried to say i broke the DVD by putting it in the return box and tried to charge me.... I told them if they even attempted to charge me i would dispute any and all blockbuster charges... They dropped the issue but said MOVIES CAN NOT BE PUT IN RETURN BOXES..... Since i nowhere near a blockbuster after 10am and live 10 miles both ways from one... i will not doinstre return anymore.. RETURN VIA Mail Takes 5 days to even get check in..

#$#$#$# you blockbuster

For those of you that like to rent any movie anytime, I would suggest getting the regular in-store movie pass. Although at 29.99, you get 2 movies at a time, and you can rent as many as you can manage to watch. You can return many times in a day to rent other movies, as opposed to having to wait for new movies to arrive in the mail.

I used to have blockbuster but rates kept going up and then my account auto-cancelled. The new rates were outrageous, so I figured why pay $30 for mail service when I can rent more movies in-store at that price. It works well for me since I can watch movies all day 'til I'm sick, take a break, and renewing when I'm ready for another month-long movie session.

I signed up Sunday. They sent out "No Country For Old Men" Monday, #1 in my Queue. I have "Walk hard" as my second movie. I'm fairly up to date new release wise besides those. I do not have a BB near me but I could see myself using the "Mail only 2 out plan"($12.99) every few months to catch up on stuff I've missed.

[quote name='orgy08']Does anyone have the plan with limited monthly returns. I was wondering your monthly exchange counts towards games. For instance, if I have 3 exchanges in store and I rent 2 discounted games, does it mean I only have 1 movie exchange left or is game rental not counted?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure any exchanges, whether movie or a discount on a game rental, counts .. check your receipt after using the exchange and it'll usually say "You have X exchanges this month" or something to that effect.

bread's done
Back