Free Realms - Free to Play MMO on PSN - Out Now

[quote name='janitor']without pc cross platform play I don't see this being successful long term. I'll give it a shot anyways because it's free.[/QUOTE]

I wager this being more successful than the PC...

Sony already proved MMO success on a platform with DC Online Universe...and Free Realms is free to play unless you want extras.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I can't find this game on the store on my PS3[/QUOTE]

Need to wait for the PSN update.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']so has anyone actually played this?[/QUOTE]

I've not, I added a 10 minute official Sony trailer showing game play.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Thank you sir do you know when that will happen?[/QUOTE]

Based on what the PSN release thread says, usually between 7 and 10pm EST, which has been accurate from what I know of.

At the very least, this could be considered a "free trial" since the actual game probably doesn't start til after that lv4 mark, given how other games are. But hey, it's not like you lose anything by trying. /shrug

I really miss when MMORPGs were in their infancy and companies really put forth their all into making one title the best one out there. Of course I started playing in 1999 and the only MMO's that were really out were Ultima Online, Everquest, and Asheran's Call.

I'm not saying they didn't have their fair share of problems, Lord knows EQ did, but I miss feeling like the developers gave a shit about the people who played the game.

To their defense most gamers are whiny bitches. They seriously need to make MMO subscriptions like $5-$10 a month. Its hard for me to pay $15 or more when I doubt I'll last more than a month, then forget to cancel my subscription.

I played for a couple of weeks and was seriously considering a lifetime membership (it's less than 3 months of DCUO). It's an entertaining game, and quite addictive if you have a collector's mindset. It's basically a collection of mini games (combat, jewel matching, driving,etc) with an open world 'hub'. There are a lot (A LOT) of fetch quests, but the beautiful part is that (at least on the PC version) you can just select "Go to X person" and the game will take you there automatically.

All combat is instanced (there are enemies on the field, but none attack you unless you allow it). The level limit is pretty sucky, but since you have 20 jobs to max to level 4.99 it will be awhile before you get feel the sting.

It's definitely a lot more fun that Home, but don't expect a WOW or DCUO

Personally, I hope it's a huge success with millions of dollars generated in microtransactions. Hopefully that would lead to a free-to-play microtransaction driven DCUO :)

[quote name='erequena']I played for a couple of weeks and was seriously considering a lifetime membership (it's less than 3 months of DCUO). It's an entertaining game, and quite addictive if you have a collector's mindset. It's basically a collection of mini games (combat, jewel matching, driving,etc) with an open world 'hub'. There are a lot (A LOT) of fetch quests, but the beautiful part is that (at least on the PC version) you can just select "Go to X person" and the game will take you there automatically.

All combat is instanced (there are enemies on the field, but none attack you unless you allow it). The level limit is pretty sucky, but since you have 20 jobs to max to level 4.99 it will be awhile before you get feel the sting.

It's definitely a lot more fun that Home, but don't expect a WOW or DCUO

Personally, I hope it's a huge success with millions of dollars generated in microtransactions. Hopefully that would lead to a free-to-play microtransaction driven DCUO :)[/QUOTE]

Am I the only person who likes to run back and forth across an entire world and experience the environment, and never (NEVER) uses any form of fast travel?

I get the feeling I'm gonna like this. It just depends on if it's too kiddy or not as to whether I'd stick around after getting all the trophies.

[quote name='a_dirty_Shisno']Am I the only person who likes to run back and forth across an entire world and experience the environment, and never (NEVER) uses any form of fast travel?

I get the feeling I'm gonna like this. It just depends on if it's too kiddy or not as to whether I'd stick around after getting all the trophies.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's not fast travel, your character actually walks (or rides) all the way to the quest giver and you can take control at any time. But for those of us who have to multi-task (taking care of my daughter/working/etc) it's nice to just ask the character to go to the quest giver, leave to do some other stuff, and come back to the game in a couple of minutes and continue from there on

[quote name='Lemarfanz']welp, i guess I'll have to try it.

anyone think i can pick up some ladies to date IRL on there!?[/QUOTE]

Does this still happen? I mean back in the early 90s when 'cybering' was new it seems like you could find ladies up for a chat, or phone call, or show or something.

"Could not launch the game."
Same here. I think its the case for everyone right now.

Good ol' Sony, shooting themselves in the foot again.

Thanks, just got that after the download finished. Must be that SOE's servers weren't ready for the update just yet.

They've confirmed that trophies, plus a platinum trophy, are exclusive to the paid memberships.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Thanks, just got that after the download finished. Must be that SOE's servers weren't ready for the update just yet.

They've confirmed that trophies, plus a platinum trophy, are exclusive to the paid memberships.[/QUOTE]

That settles the "free to play" thing. Its a demo, just like a demo to let you play then say "omg, you just got a trophy if you pay to unlock it!"

[quote name='Camre']That settles the "free to play" thing. Its a demo, just like a demo to let you play then say "omg, you just got a trophy if you pay to unlock it!"[/QUOTE]

But the whole purpose of F2P is to attract people who wouldn't normally touch an MMO due to the subscription commitment. If they like what they see, then they can decide if they want to pay for more. Yes, that's similar to a demo, but it's not without its merits. It's hard to criticize a game that has a lifetime membership priced at $35. At worst, it equals a budget priced game that you play for a month and never touch again. Not much of an investment risk here. I don't know much about this game, but I can at least appreciate the approach they're taking. I think this is how you make a console MMO work, and it sure as hell is a better approach than DC Universe Online took.

I'm gonna go ahead and walk away from this one with some dignity still left.

Silver Trophy: Team Player - Successfully invite 25 players to a group

I just played a bit of it and I have to say, it's REALLY repetitive. Also at every opportunity they advertise benefits of membership. No thanks SOE, I'm sticking to GOOD PC MMOs]

I can't believe Sony did such a bad port. PC version looks and runs MILES better. Both versions however, are boring.

Ran around for 5 minutes, couldn't figure out what I'm suppose to be doing. So much for an MMO on a PS3.

The servers still seem to be borked, as it just says the server's unavailable when finishing my character and the name I picked is no longer available.

I'll play the game every so often, but it is nothing to be excited about. Debating the lifetime membership, but not sure if I will play it enough to justify it.

[quote name='ssjmichael']DC Universe says hello.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware, but not interested. I don't approve of having to buy a game THEN pay to keep playing it. MMOs should either have to be bought and not have a sub, or are free but require a sub. I don't do both.

Also, bloody knew it. Launching the game slaps its trophy list on your profile, so unless you plan on buying a sub and working on trophies, you're gonna have a nice fat 0% on your trophy list.

The life-long membership can't be gameshared because it's a subscription, I take it?

[quote name='Buuhan1'] Launching the game slaps its trophy list on your profile[/QUOTE]

Looks like FreakyZeaky is gonna be getting some FreeRealms then.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I'm aware, but not interested. I don't approve of having to buy a game THEN pay to keep playing it. MMOs should either have to be bought and not have a sub, or are free but require a sub. I don't do both.

Also, bloody knew it. Launching the game slaps its trophy list on your profile, so unless you plan on buying a sub and working on trophies, you're gonna have a nice fat 0% on your trophy list.

The life-long membership can't be gameshared because it's a subscription, I take it?[/QUOTE]

What better way to say "I really didn't like this game" than to have a 0% trophy completion sitting on your profile?

Finally got in by doing random names/likeness that let me sign in fine. It's a bit overwhelming at first since there are a million people and areas pointing in every direction, so it's hard to figure out what to do right away. Ended up doing some ninja quests, exploring, and then coming back to the starting area and doing some chef quests. It's decent so far.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']What better way to say "I really didn't like this game" than to have a 0% trophy completion sitting on your profile?[/QUOTE]

Still, it's annoying. Prototype and Naughty Bear are already there.

i kinda dig it, I'd much rather do the minigames with a controller over a mouse and keyboard.

I will probably treat this the way i do Home, log in when I'm beyond bored but not really feeling like getting into a deeper game.

Played a bit last night, and while it's not exactly my kind of game, I can understand why people might have fun with it. My wife discovered MMO's last year thanks to a co-worker and started getting into WOW, but the monthly subscription was just too much to justify the small amount of time she had to play. I showed Free Realms to her and so far she loves it (though I think the ability to play as a pixie and ride a Unicorn may have something to do with it, haha). $35 for a lifetime sub is MUCH easier to swallow. And this way, I won't be asking her "Have you played your MMO yet this week?" like a mom does to her 10 year old son about his homework. It might not be the greatest MMO ever, but for the casual player, it's more than sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't figure out what to do, or what I was even allowed to do without paying. Long load times, very boring, and I can't even delete and re-make my character. Even with the paid subscription they charge real money for all kinds of different items.

Long Live EQ!

No more MMO for me after EQ. Nothing feels like the feeling you get playing that game when it launch. So much memory and time wasted that I'll never touch another MMO again.

bread's done
Back