Free select digital game with the Purchase of a PS5 (YMMV Targetted)

arsenalcrazy8

CAGiversary!
Edit: this is actually a targeted promotion.

Sony started a new promotion today.

Buy and activate a ps5 console before October 20th and get a free digital download from the following games:

○ Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

○ Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered

○ God of War Ragnarök

○ Horizon Forbidden West

○ Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut

○ Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

○ Demon’s Souls

○ The Last of Us Part I

○ Sackboy: A Big Adventure

○ Returnal

○ Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection

○ Death Stranding: Director’s Cut

Full promotion:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/upgrader-program/

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting this because one such use case could be buying the LE Spider-Man ps5 console and upgrading from an older console to get a free game.

That’s coincidentally what I just did yesterday so theoretically I get a free game now when I unbox my new ps5.

This is targeted, and it also doesn't say when it had to be purchased and activated. I bought a ps5 in August, but never used the old account that I was targeted with. I signed it in and made the ps5 the primary but was never given the choice of a free game.

Yup confirmed - this is indeed targeted - I just set up my spider man console for the first time and no free game.
i set up my spiderman console last night. i checked the PS Store and went to GoW Ragnarok. Shows me 100% off to download for free. i also checked Spiderman Remastered and Miles Morales. both show 100% off. just go check one of those eligible free games and see if they show up as 100% off. i might get Demons Souls. planning to purchase Ragnarok on disc instead.

i set up my spiderman console last night. i checked the PS Store and went to GoW Ragnarok. Shows me 100% off to download for free. i also checked Spiderman Remastered and Miles Morales. both show 100% off. just go check one of those eligible free games and see if they show up as 100% off. i might get Demons Souls. planning to purchase Ragnarok on disc instead.
Yea still nothing on my end. Question: was this your first ps5? Did you own another before?

A friend just got a PS5 within the past month.  He lives outside of town and does not have any paid PSN membership.  If he got a month of it would that maybe show up for him?

I really think this only works if you got the email from Sony.

I did not for example.
You might be right. I got the email, but alas I've made the painful decision not to get a PS5 till the "Pro edition" or whatever the mid cycle equivalent is going to be. I really wanted to get the spiderman 2 edition, but it doesn't seem so rare since you can buy the plates and controller separately. Only free game I would take is Ragnarok and I already played it on my PS4 Pro.

You might be right. I got the email, but alas I've made the painful decision not to get a PS5 till the "Pro edition" or whatever the mid cycle equivalent is going to be. I really wanted to get the spiderman 2 edition, but it doesn't seem so rare since you can buy the plates and controller separately. Only free game I would take is Ragnarok and I already played it on my PS4 Pro.
Where are you going to buy the plates from?

I pre ordered the Spiderman PS5 direct from Sony.  Its my first PS5.  Of course I don't qualify for the free game as they said you had to activate as of Sept. 19.  How crappy for Sony to basically release this new system and tell all the new owners they should have waited a few extra weeks to get a free game.  

Last edited by a moderator:
weird. i went to the PSN store today to choose the game i want. now its not showing up free anymore. i didnt get to choose now. before it was showing up as free in the store. i took my time to decide and now its no longer free.

weird. i went to the PSN store today to choose the game i want. now its not showing up free anymore. i didnt get to choose now. before it was showing up as free in the store. i took my time to decide and now its no longer free.
The same thing happened to me. I had been dragging my feet, debating on which one to get, and I noticed around midnight that it no longer said 100% Free next to the crossed out price. Going to check again when I get home from work and hope that it was a fluke. Otherwise, going to see if Playstation support will be able to help.

Playstation support was zero help. They even asked for receipt of purchase and serial number of ps5. I provided pictures of everything and they still said they can't honor the offer because the ps5 was purchased a week before the start date. Even though I didn't activate it until last week after I got the email of the offer. No where in the terms does it say a single thing about purchasing the ps5 in a specific timeframe. As usual playstation support is garbage.

I received a second email yesterday offering a free game until October 20th. Maybe those that missed it can still get it somehow. I'm still waiting for a revision on the hardware though.

This finally got public exposure as Sony quietly changed the deal last week. As posted above, the only way to get the deal now is by invite. . .which means you would need to have already been a PS owner at some point. They REALLY aren't making any friends this generation, and the specter of Jim Ryan is going to haunt them for a while.

bread's done
Back