*Free* Tales of Monkey Island Episodes 4 and 5 (Wii) for completing survey

I finally got mine. I can save energy and turn off wii connect24 again. For you guys not getting it, did you have wii connect on?

Now I have episode 1 free on iPad, 4 and 5 on wii. I just need to figure out how to get episodes 2 and 3 free now!

[quote name='Blaster man']I finally got mine. I can save energy and turn off wii connect24 again. For you guys not getting it, did you have wii connect on?

Now I have episode 1 free on iPad, 4 and 5 on wii. I just need to figure out how to get episodes 2 and 3 free now![/QUOTE]

Yup, I have WiiConnect24 & standby on. I guess if they're still sending it out, I'll keep those on for a while.

I just got the e-mail to add the new friend code "0297 4994 1264 7855" for my two games. I hope they come!

[quote name='velvet396']have not received an email regarding this at all...[/QUOTE]

Same here. I wonder what's going on.

FYI, you don't need WiiConnect24 on to receive the gifts. You only need it on if you want to receive a message that tells you when you have gotten the gift. If you really don't want it on, turn it off.

[quote name='Andami']FYI, you don't need WiiConnect24 on to receive the gifts. You only need it on if you want to receive a message that tells you when you have gotten the gift. If you really don't want it on, turn it off.[/QUOTE]

So, what do I do in order to check if I have them or not? Do I just go into the Wii shop channel and look them up to see if they're free?

either way when you get a gift game on Wii it will show up as a message. That's how you redeem it from the message. So everyday you turn on your Wii you're checking.

[quote name='Rxanadu']So, what do I do in order to check if I have them or not? Do I just go into the Wii shop channel and look them up to see if they're free?[/QUOTE]
You should get a notification when you enter the Wii Shop Channel that a gift was received. I still don't have mine though.

hence the blue light.. set it and forget it.. until it pops up.
I too need to find 2 and 3 since i have 1 4 and 5 on my Wii for free.

[quote name='Wolfkin']hence the blue light.. set it and forget it.. until it pops up.
I too need to find 2 and 3 since i have 1 4 and 5 on my Wii for free.[/QUOTE]

How did you get the first episode for free?

[quote name='velvet396']performing my weekly check-in. Still nothing. No email, no message/gift received through Wii.
Time to write my senator.[/QUOTE]

got an email last night, they are sending the games!
"Greetings - Thank you for completing our survey. Your free WiiWare games "Tales of Monkey Island Chapters 4 and 5" will be sent to you shortly.

If you have not already done so, please add the following friend code to your Wii's address book:

0297 4994 1264 7855 (You may have previously had a Wii # that ends in 4166. Please use the number in this email, instead.)"

Came from a marketing employee at Telltale games, looks like they're doing these by hand so be patient.

Figure I'll give this a go. First to wake up my slumbering Wii. I had to re-do the internet connection as I have a new modem sense last we wii'd online. System update taking us to Foreversville....

Check your emails again just got mine!
Greetings - Thank you for completing our survey. Your free WiiWare games "Tales of Monkey Island Chapters 4 and 5" will be sent to you shortly.

NOTE: we cannot send you your game if you have not completed this step.

If you have added the friend code (6907 3429 4888 4166) to your Wii's address book, please CHANGE the Wii Friend code for Telltale Games to 7260 0491 2042 7625, as it is from this NEW friend # that the games will be sent.

I got that email and followed the steps. How do I get my games? :(

Just now received this email:

Greetings!

Thank you, once again, for taking part in our survey. As you know, for a limited time, we were giving survey respondents free Wii versions of Tales of Monkey Island Episodes 4 & 5. At this point, the offer for ToMI Episode 4 has ended. We will continue to give away copies of Episode 5, so please be sure to follow the instructions you have received in email form so that you can claim your free title.

Thank you for supporting Telltale Games!

...So does that mean I don't get it? (or at least, don't get episode 4?) I got the earlier email you guys mentioned saying I would get both but had to change the friend code. Well, I changed it not even an hour after I got the email, and now I get this one... Still haven't gotten any messages/gifts/anything on my Wii.

Just got this email from Telltale games, seems I'm getting screwed out of Episode 4:

Greetings!

Thank you, once again, for taking part in our survey. As you know, for a limited time, we were giving survey respondents free Wii versions of Tales of Monkey Island Episodes 4 & 5. At this point, the offer for ToMI Episode 4 has ended. We will continue to give away copies of Episode 5, so please be sure to follow the instructions you have received in email form so that you can claim your free title.

What the hell? I got the same email. So, what, do I not get the game even though I was one of the first people to take the survey (second post in this thread)?

[quote name='Andami']What the hell? I got the same email. So, what, do I not get the game even though I was one of the first people to take the survey (second post in this thread)?[/QUOTE]

I emailed back saying that I was disappointed I wouldn't get the offer as stated when I took the survey, this was the response:
[quote name='[email protected]']
Hello Chad,

Thank you for your email. I will still be giving Episode 5 to all you folks that took the time to answer. The survey said that there were limited quantities available, and I am gifting the survey respondents in the order that they completed the survey. At this moment, you have about 5 people ahead of you on the list.

[/quote]

utter BS if you ask me. It's digital. "copies" aren't limited. They just want to shaq-fu people over with promises of items they won't receive in order to take their survey.

[quote name='goodbyetonight']I got Episode 4, but they didn't send me Episode 5. Weird.[/QUOTE]

the way they're handling this whole thing is weird.

[quote name='velvet396']I emailed back saying that I was disappointed I wouldn't get the offer as stated when I took the survey, this was the response:

utter BS if you ask me. It's digital. "copies" aren't limited. They just want to shaq-fu people over with promises of items they won't receive in order to take their survey.[/QUOTE]

Hardly BS if it was stated from the get go. Limited quantities as in not everyone who fills out the survey is going to get them-- not that they don't have more codes available. Only a certain amount of codes were allotted to this promo. Certainly you can understand that? They are losing money by doing this, you know...

They are not losing money. Quite the opposite as they are collecting statistics to use for their company and advertising their games. Besides, it was stated that participants would receive 4 AND 5, not 4 or 5.

[quote name='Andami']They are not losing money. Quite the opposite as they are collecting statistics to use for their company and advertising their games. Besides, it was stated that participants would receive 4 AND 5, not 4 or 5.[/QUOTE]

Giving out free games that would otherwise earn them revenue isn't losing money? I understand they're getting data, etc... but yeah, they're still sacrificing money for it. And yes, it was stated that, for a limited time, participants would receive both games. It's right in the OP: NOTE: Limited quantities available! AND at the top of the survey. Never did it say that everyone who participated would get both games, no matter what. :roll:

Also, keep in mind CAG isn't the end all, be all for gaming news/deals. I'm sure this was spread around the internet like crazy, as they've done this for previous games/entries. Thus, all the codes were taken by Wii users across the internets-- not really TellTale's fault.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Giving out free games that would otherwise earn them revenue isn't losing money? I understand they're getting data, etc... but yeah, they're still sacrificing money for it. And yes, it was stated that, for a limited time, participants would receive both games. It's right in the OP: NOTE: Limited quantities available! AND at the top of the survey. Never did it say that everyone who participated would get both games, no matter what. :roll:

Also, keep in mind CAG isn't the end all, be all for gaming news/deals. I'm sure this was spread around the internet like crazy, as they've done this for previous games/entries. Thus, all the codes were taken by Wii users across the internets-- not really TellTale's fault.[/QUOTE]

they're only losing money if people were going to buy the games otherwise. Which I believe most weren't, as the games have been out for a while. And it's actually a method to entice users to buy the remaining episodes (would've made more sense to do Ep 1+2).

And yes, every contest has that lovely "limited quantities" tag up on it. But usually if handled well, they'll pull the promo when they're out of stock. You can point at fine print all you want, and I am tired of people on the internet acting entitled as well, but point is, this promo was not handled well at all.

What you're conveniently forgetting is, many of us received emails after taking surveys that said "thanks, you will receive episodes 4 + 5 very soon, add these friend codes to your wii, etc, etc...".

[quote name='velvet396']they're only losing money if people were going to buy the games otherwise. Which I believe most weren't, as the games have been out for a while. And it's actually a method to entice users to buy the remaining episodes (would've made more sense to do Ep 1+2).

And yes, every contest has that lovely "limited quantities" tag up on it. But usually if handled well, they'll pull the promo when they're out of stock. You can point at fine print all you want, and I am tired of people on the internet acting entitled as well, but point is, this promo was not handled well at all.

What you're conveniently forgetting is, many of us received emails after taking surveys that said "thanks, you will receive episodes 4 + 5 very soon, add these friend codes to your wii, etc, etc...".[/QUOTE]

Okay, so since the full version of Fable 2 was put up on XBL by mistake, Microsoft and Lionhead didn't lose any money because those people weren't going to buy it? Sorry, I don't buy into that. You're still getting something for free that would otherwise add to their copies sold. They did do this for another episode in the past, as well as for the newer version of the game.

Yeah, it was originally intended for Telltale forum members (was later added to their Facebook page). Sites around the internet like CAG and Joystiq posted it and then everyone felt they were entitled to free games.

Yes, but quantities were still limited. Obviously they were bombarded with requests since it was spread around the internet. Blame everyone else for getting in on this simply because they wanted free games, which most people probably have no intention of even playing.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Okay, so since the full version of Fable 2 was put up on XBL by mistake, Microsoft and Lionhead didn't lose any money because those people weren't going to buy it? Sorry, I don't buy into that. You're still getting something for free that would otherwise add to their copies sold. They did do this for another episode in the past, as well as for the newer version of the game.

Yeah, it was originally intended for Telltale forum members (was later added to their Facebook page). Sites around the internet like CAG and Joystiq posted it and then everyone felt they were entitled to free games.

Yes, but quantities were still limited. Obviously they were bombarded with requests since it was spread around the internet. Blame everyone else for getting in on this simply because they wanted free games, which most people probably have no intention of even playing.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, what? How is a glitch/error related to a promotion? Because they're both downloadable games?

You're still assuming people that download would buy the title, when the correlation in the real world is that people jump all over free even when they're not interested buying it. Of course there is going to be a small percentage of people who would pay for it, and if you want to consider that lost revenue, you would mark it up financially under the cost of the promotion. Seeing as they didn't purchase any media to support the promo, the only cost they have is the bandwidth to send the files (if Wii shop charges them), the survey monkey fee, and the minute amount of "lost sales" that you're referring to, which is nearly impossible to quantify. The labor hours for their staff related to this would be attributed to operating costs, unless they hired someone specifically to run the promotion. The final two things to consider is the value of the data gathered by the survey ("the sword is only as dangerous as the person who wields it"), and the potential sales of other Telltale products as a result of people trying & liking the free games.

If they wanted to restrict it to less users, they could have locked the survey to telltale forum members, and only those who signed up prior to the announcement of the survey. Otherwise, people taking a survey that says "if we have quantities you will get these games" who then a receive an email that says, "thanks for taking the survey, you will receive these games", call me crazy but I don't think they're wrong to think that, for some odd reason, they're going to be getting those games.

My point was, and remains, that they did not handle this promotion well.

Back on topic, still haven't received an email regarding episode five. I understand that people have other things to do at work, but when you're the promotions person, and you have 5 codes to type into a wii and then send a user an email, how many days can that take? This is criticism, not a complaint. And yes, they're different.

I just received a code of Episode 5, but I keep getting a timing out error instantly when I go to download it.

EDIT: Ah, it seems to be my Wii in general. Let's try a reboot.

[quote name='SpudimusPrime89']I just received a code of Episode 5, but I keep getting a timing out error instantly when I go to download it.

EDIT: Ah, it seems to be my Wii in general. Let's try a reboot.[/QUOTE]

Got my 5 as well.

I still don't have mine, but I got my email at least a week ago, right around the time Velvet got his. How long should it take to gift an item?

I just got my Episode 5.
[quote name='Andami']I still don't have mine, but I got my email at least a week ago, right around the time Velvet got his. How long should it take to gift an item?[/QUOTE]

I received the email saying that the gift was ready a few days after I added the new friend code for them that was included in the email they sent me.

sigh.... such bullshit. Here's what I got in my email:

Greetings!

As you know, we offered survey respondents free Wii versions of Tales of Monkey Island Episodes 4 & 5. In the survey, we noted that quantities were limited. At this time, we have exhausted our supply and there are no more episodes available to gift. We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Best,
Heather Shields
Admin and Marketing Assistant

[quote name='trunks982']sigh.... such bullshit. Here's what I got in my email:

Greetings!

As you know, we offered survey respondents free Wii versions of Tales of Monkey Island Episodes 4 & 5. In the survey, we noted that quantities were limited. At this time, we have exhausted our supply and there are no more episodes available to gift. We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Best,
Heather Shields
Admin and Marketing Assistant[/QUOTE]
Same. :censored:. I usually wouldn't mind that I didn't get anything, but when they take this long to give out the prizes (or inform you that they ran out), coupled with the fact that they obviously didn't go in order based on a "first come, first serve" basis, when that's what was implied, really irks me.

Yeah, kind of upset how this went down. Was looking forward to playing them :(

(TLDR: I didn't get the games either :p :()

I got the same e-mail. But it's okay 'cause I got the games by "other means" when they first came out. I just wanted to feel like I was winning something. Now my life is empty.

that sucks for the people who signed up and didn't get it. They definitely should have gone in order, as it seems like they might not have. I get the whole "while supplies lasts" part of it, but they really should know how many they have or can give away and then limit it based on that. If they can only give away about 200 then "First 200 responders" is better than "while supplies lasts".

bread's done
Back