Free videogame pre-order goodies at Best Buy: Uncharted 2, Ratchet 2 DLC codes + more

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I discovered a weird glitch at my local Best Buy in Riverdale Ut. Last week I pre-ordered a copy of Uncharted 2 with the pre-order box that comes with a code inside for gold weapons in the multiplayer mode that is active once the game is released. The pre-order was supposed to be $5 as usual, however after the cashier rang up my reward zone card the pre-order came up as free and I happily walked out with an Uncharted 2 gold weapons code at no cost.
Tonight I figured I would try my luck again and I went for the Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time pre-order box which includes a code for an "Exlusive Power Package" including a weapon skin, extra hit points, and the cryo-mine glove. Once again the pre-order rang up as $5 but as soon as the cashier scanned my rewardzone card it rang up as 0.00 and again I walked out with a a receipt and a pre-order box with code.
I am not sure why this is happening but free DLC is always alright in my book. I don't really care if I actually pick up the game upon release or not as I usually wait for prices to drop way lower than $60 and the pre-order cost me nothing. I am not sure if its the reward zone card itself, the fact that I am in the reward zone gamers club, or the fact that I am a premier silver member. However one thing I am sure of is that the sleuths on CAG with figure it out and "crack the code" in a short time. Then you can all go forth and grab them shits.

*update* September 23: Ok so I may have omitted certain details in my original post. The first purchase I made was actually 2 pre-orders of Uncharted. The second time I tried, I picked up a pre-order of Uncharted and a pre-order of Ratchet. My reasoning was that I did not want to invite the "hoarder" comments that I wrought upon myself in the penny guide thread for snatching up multiple penny guides at once back in the day. The common link the game seems to have over the dozens of comments is that you can only get two pre-orders and one of them must be Uncharted for the "glitch" to work and give you two free pre-orders. As I knew would happen, CAGs cracked the code once again. Well done.

Here is a good list of pre-order bonuses thanks to Jodou:

Here's the compiled list of pre-order bonuses:

Brutal Legend - LP sleeve to hold your game and sports some attractive artwork on the inside cover.

Halo 3: ODST - Unlock Sgt. Avery Johnson for play in the new Firefight mode.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time - Unlock the Cryo-Mine glove exclusive weapon skin that yields extra hit points when equipped.

Tekken 6 - Laser cell and tattooed sleeve.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Unlock gold-plated versions of the Beretta and AK-47 for multi-player.

*update Oct 13* Now that Uncharted 2 has been released, many stores have pulled their remaining stock of pre-order boxes from the shelves. It has now become YMMV as to whether you will find out some left over pre-order boxes at your local Best Buy. Apparently if you can find them the deal still works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made my last hour run. this time I went for some games, got Watchmen PS3 (includes blu-ray) and scribblenauts DS both for $25 plus tax. Also tried U2+Dragon Age to see about the 250 bonus points.

worked for me and the GF today, since this seems to only work with UNCHARTED 2 , will we be able to do it without that game, I will try this again tomorrow, should it still work?

[quote name='jmillion']anyone tried it today?[/QUOTE]

My BF just did it about 30 mins ago at the Santana Row Best Buy. He was able to get another U2 and finally found the BL pre-order.

good to see it still works. awesome. i wouldnt be surprised if they are still on shelves like the Halo ODST cases still up and workin after the game came out

This was still working yesterday. Picked up the preorders for Uncharted 2 and Lego Rock Band for free yesterday evening.

[quote name='Josef']This was still working yesterday. Picked up the preorders for Uncharted 2 and Lego Rock Band for free yesterday evening.[/QUOTE]

this worked for me Monday as well, with the same items

I just picked up my games (UC2 & BL), and did NOT get $5 off either one!:bomb:

This is my first time pre-ordering from BB.
I was taken to Customer Services even before I got to the register. Is that common for pre-orders? EDIT: I just looked closer at Today's receipt ... it says "EXCHANGE" in big letters (like those) at the top?!?
I had my receipt, which clearly states $5 off for each game. I used the Premier Silver 10% off coupon AFTER I showed them the pre-order, and that rang up only for Uncharted 2, even though it says "up to 3, any combination" on it.

I also used the $10 gift card for buying Brutal Legends. I understand that coupons don't always stack, but they should in this case.

Has anyone else had problems with their pre-orders?:headache:

Thank you, CAGers for all your help!:wave:

PS I have all the receipts, including the pre-order. Thanks.

[quote name='quest1962']I just picked up my games (UC2 & BL), and did NOT get $5 off either one!:bomb:

This is my first time pre-ordering from BB.
I was taken to Customer Services even before I got to the register. Is that common for pre-orders? EDIT: I just looked closer at Today's receipt ... it says "EXCHANGE" in big letters (like those) at the top?!?
I had my receipt, which clearly states $5 off for each game. I used the Premier Silver 10% off coupon AFTER I showed them the pre-order, and that rang up only for Uncharted 2, even though it says "up to 3, any combination" on it.

I also used the $10 gift card for buying Brutal Legends. I understand that coupons don't always stack, but they should in this case.

Has anyone else had problems with their pre-orders?:headache:

Thank you, CAGers for all your help!:wave:

PS I have all the receipts, including the pre-order. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
If you paid $5 for a pre-order, they should have taken that off the purchase price. If not, they screwed up and you need to go back and get your $$ returned.

However, if you got the Uncharted 2 and BL pre-orders for free, then they will not take the $5 off either game. Then, they did not screw up.

[quote name='no_exit']If you paid $5 for a pre-order, they should have taken that off the purchase price. If not, they screwed up and you need to go back and get your $$ returned.

However, if you got the Uncharted 2 and BL pre-orders for free, then they will not take the $5 off either game. Then, they did not screw up.[/QUOTE]
I have to disagree. You don't pay extra for the privilege of a pre-order, whether there is a promotion that comes with it or not. You just put money down that is deducted from the cost when the game is released.

In this case, Best Buy's "deal" was $10 off when you buy 2 games at full price. This thread is all about getting the $10 off the pre-orders when one of them was Uncharted 2.

In short, I (we all) paid $5 for each pre-order, and it was refunded through the deal BB was running. My receipt states "REG 5.00 with 5.00- DOLLARS OFF" for each game.

YES, I "paid" Zero Dollars. But only because BB said "here is $10."

How does this constitute having to pay full freight? "$5 off" means $5 less cost.

Have I missed the point of this thread/website?

400+ posts about paying full price for a game? I really don't think so.

[quote name='quest1962']IYou just put money down that is deducted from the cost when the game is released.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. You put down $0 and received credit for $0.

[quote name='quest1962']I have to disagree. You don't pay extra for the privilege of a pre-order, whether there is a promotion that comes with it or not. You just put money down that is deducted from the cost when the game is released.

In this case, Best Buy's "deal" was $10 off when you buy 2 games at full price. This thread is all about getting the $10 off the pre-orders when one of them was Uncharted 2.

In short, I (we all) paid $5 for each pre-order, and it was refunded through the deal BB was running. My receipt states "REG 5.00 with 5.00- DOLLARS OFF" for each game.

YES, I "paid" Zero Dollars. But only because BB said "here is $10."

How does this constitute having to pay full freight? "$5 off" means $5 less cost.

Have I missed the point of this thread/website?

400+ posts about paying full price for a game? I really don't think so.[/QUOTE]

Dude, we were all aware that we're taking advantage of a glitch. I think that promo was supposed to be for that week only too?

[quote name='OGHowie']Dude, we were all aware that we're taking advantage of a glitch. I think that promo was supposed to be for that week only too?[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what it was. The promo was supposed to be $10 off a game $29.99 or higher when you preordered Uncharted 2. "Preordered" means putting $5 down on Uncharted 2. If you put nothing down on Uncharted 2 then you're not going to get anything off the game price.

[quote name='Purkeynator']The deal was to get the pre-order bonuses (boxes) without paying any money. Nothing more.[/QUOTE]
Is that what you think is a deal? Not paying up front, but paying full freight when the game comes out? That makes no sense. Are you satisfied paying full price after release? That is the same as paying $5 for the pre-order, just like every other pre-order. Not a deal. No deal = no thread.

[quote name='OGHowie']Dude, we were all aware that we're taking advantage of a glitch. I think that promo was supposed to be for that week only too?[/QUOTE]
Exactly. PROMO. As in "We will GIVE YOU SOMETHING to buy your game at our store." Best Buy was running a $10 off any $29.99 or up promo. The glitch was that if you pre-bought Uncharted 2 you'd get the other $5 off something else. Not $0 off anything.

[quote name='no_exit']Exactly. You put down $0 and received credit for $0.[/QUOTE]
I did not put down $0. BB chose to pay it for me. That's why the receipt says "REG 5.00 with 5.00- DOLLARS OFF." That's what makes it a DEAL.

[quote name='Josef']This is exactly what it was. The promo was supposed to be $10 off a game $29.99 or higher when you preordered Uncharted 2. "Preordered" means putting $5 down on Uncharted 2. If you put nothing down on Uncharted 2 then you're not going to get anything off the game price.[/QUOTE]

So, PLEASE! Someone show me the $10 off!

The glitch took $5 off the Uncharted 2 AND $5 off ANYTHING ELSE. In my case (and MANY others) it took it off another pre-order. Some got it off another game.

The key in your statement is "was SUPPOSED to be." The glitch made it something a little different. But it did NOT make it $0 off!

[quote name='quest1962']So, PLEASE! Someone show me the $10 off![/QUOTE]

:wall:

Normally, you put down $5 toward a game, and pay the balance ($55) upon pickup. You paid $0, and therefore owe the entire balance of $60. What is so hard to understand?

[quote name='quest1962']That's why the receipt says "REG 5.00 with 5.00- DOLLARS OFF.".[/QUOTE]
Looks to me like you didn't pay anything.

According to your logic, if you buy a $59.99 game that is on sale for $39.99 then you should be able to return that game for $59.99. Best Buy "paid" that $20.00 for you so you must be entitled to it.

Why don't you take your Uncharted 2 pre-order receipt into Best Buy and try to get $5 back, when you paid $0, and let us know what happens.

[quote name='blissskr']The 'deal' for this thread was free preorder goodies, I mean it is the title and all.[/QUOTE]
Pre-order goodies are ALWAYS free.

[quote name='krowbar']:wall:

Normally, you put down $5 toward a game, and pay the balance ($55) upon pickup. You paid $0, and therefore owe the entire balance of $60. What is so hard to understand?[/QUOTE]
I absolutely agree with the principal you all are putting forward, that of how pre-orders work. I agree completely that IF I had put $0 down, that the full cost is what I should expect. That is not what happened here. BB said, in essence, "here is $10. Come buy stuff from us!" The glitch said "you can use that $10 like this..." and the pre-orders swallowed up that $10.

Here is what is so hard to understand. Why is everyone so happy to get nothing? If you pre-ordered with $5, you'd still get the goodies. You'd still get the game reserved for you. You'd still have everything a regular pre-order gives you. You just wouldn't have the $5.

Do you honestly think that keeping those $10 in your pocket for 2 extra weeks is the deal?

Its not a DEAL if the cost is not LESS, or you get something you would not have gotten otherwise.

[quote name='no_exit']Looks to me like you didn't pay anything..[/QUOTE]
No kidding. That's what makes it a DEAL.

[quote name='no_exit']According to your logic, if you buy a $59.99 game that is on sale for $39.99 then you should be able to return that game for $59.99. Best Buy "paid" that $20.00 for you so you must be entitled to it..[/QUOTE]
Not so. In that scenario, the COST is different. With a coupon; discount; B1G1 situation; et cetera, the COST is the same (MSRP in this case), and the company is offering the consumer a bonus to shop in their store.

In your scenario, I would expect (hmmm, what is the common term I am looking for) my money back. MY money. A coupon; et al, is THEIR money.

I'll respond to your last comment later.

[quote name='quest1962'] In your scenario, I would expect (hmmm, what is the common term I am looking for) my money back. MY money. A coupon; et al, is THEIR money.[/QUOTE]
Didn't you previously say that is was Best Buy that paid the $5 for you (see quote below)? So that makes it THEIR money....

[quote name='quest1962'] I did not put down $0. BB chose to pay it for me. That's why the receipt says "REG 5.00 with 5.00- DOLLARS OFF." That's what makes it a DEAL.[/QUOTE]

So now you want Best Buy to refund you THEIR money?

You didn't pay anything so why should you get something back? You said it yourself, you would expect your money back. You paid $0 so you get $0 back.

[quote name='quest1962'] I'll respond to your last comment later.[/QUOTE]
I am looking forward to your response.

Why is this a debate.

The preorder items are only free if you give BB a $5 deposit. If you purchase the game you get $5 off the price of that game. If you chose to not purchase the game, you get your $5 back and BB gets their preorder bonus back.

If you wanted to benefit from the $10 off any game 29.99 or higher, you should have preordered Uncharted and purchased another game that day that was 29.99 or higher.

Since you used the $10 off on a non qualifying item (ex: a $5 preorder), you do not receive the difference if the preorders when returning the bonuses.

You do not receive the benefit of the promo because you did not meet the requirements of the promo. Your second game would have to be 29.99 or higher and a preorder is only $5.

Free with purchase of the game. In this case they were just free thanks to the glitch. Cags could get free DLC, art cells, premium cases, ect and not have to shell out the money for the games now. They can simply wait and get them on sale or clearance later on but still get the goodies now. That was the deal and the purpose of the thread.

[quote name='no_exit']Didn't you previously say that is was Best Buy that paid the $5 for you (see quote below)? So that makes it THEIR money....
So now you want Best Buy to refund you THEIR money?
You didn't pay anything so why should you get something back? You said it yourself, you would expect your money back. You paid $0 so you get $0 back.

I am looking forward to your response.[/QUOTE]

Holy moley. Everyone wants to use THEIR money. That is what this website is all about. Getting something from the company (game publisher, retailer, whomever) and essentially using THEIR money. That is the whole point.
What is a coupon that you use at Piggly Wiggly, Shop Rite, A&P or wherever you guys grocery shop? It is a lowering of your cost, which takes money out of their coffers. Which makes it "their money."

Who "pays" for a game when you B1G1? You don't spend $120 on them. So where does that money come from? In this case, Best Buy. But that is a contract with them. They give us $60 worth of game in exchange for spending our $60 in their store. If we choose to return the games, we do not get $120 back. We get "our money" back. If we want to return just one game, that voids the original contract (B1G1), and you don't get any money back. By your logic (I didn't pay anything so I shouldn't get anything back), you shouldn't GET ONE after you BUY ONE, because you didn't pay anything for it.

I am not asking BB to "refund" me anything. They gave me $10 off 2 games, then took it back when I went to honor my part of the contract (buying the games in their store). That is wrong, and I will get those $10 back.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Always free????[/QUOTE]
[quote name='soonerdoc']Seriously dude...you have lost it.[/QUOTE]
Yes, always free. You've never paid more than MSRP to get one, have you? You pay your $5 pre-order, then get your game later on by paying the difference. To be clear, I am NOT talking about SE, LE or versions that COST more to get a premium item. Just your run-of-the-mill give-aways.
[quote name='Purkeynator']Free with purchase of the game. In this case they were just free thanks to the glitch. Cags could get free DLC, art cells, premium cases, ect and not have to shell out the money for the games now. They can simply wait and get them on sale or clearance later on but still get the goodies now. That was the deal and the purpose of the thread.[/QUOTE] Yes, with purchase. Which is what I did.
Free, because you are not paying extra to get them with the game. You get the game + the goodies, whatever for m they take (DLC; figurine; poster...)

I agree that may have been the original intent of the thread, although I don't think so. I think OP said that was OP's intent. It was not mine.

If you think about it, that is likely why a lot of pre-order bonuses now are not given out until you buy the game.

Why do you guys keep arguing with 'quest1962'? It's obvious that his view is the only correct one, and you might as well speak to the wall or bang your head against it, instead of continuing to pretend he's actually 'reading' or 'listening'.

Anyways, I think this is dead, so perhaps we should just lock it up.

[quote name='dragonjud']Why do you guys keep arguing with 'quest1962'? It's obvious that his view is the only correct one, and you might as well speak to the wall or bang your head against it, instead of continuing to pretend he's actually 'reading' or 'listening'.

Anyways, I think this is dead, so perhaps we should just lock it up.[/QUOTE]
Reading and listening. Just because you may not agree, doesn't make me wrong.

BTW, I am pretty sure they are the ones not listening.

I promise to apologize to you all, if I am wrong.

[quote name='dragonjud']Why do you guys keep arguing with 'quest1962'? It's obvious that his view is the only correct one, and you might as well speak to the wall or bang your head against it, instead of continuing to pretend he's actually 'reading' or 'listening'.

Anyways, I think this is dead, so perhaps we should just lock it up.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm going to join you in banging my head against the wall...sigh.

[quote name='no_exit']Looks to me like you didn't pay anything.

Why don't you take your Uncharted 2 pre-order receipt into Best Buy and try to get $5 back, when you paid $0, and let us know what happens.[/QUOTE]

So, here's the thing. I went back and got everything I asked for, including the stacked 10% coupon from this thread (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239160).

I've never posted scans, so of course its not working for me right now. The pix are in my profile folder.

The first scan shows the pre-order and the original purchase yesterday afternoon. The coupon works on Uncharted 2, but not Brutal Legend. The $10 Gift Card RZGC coupon worked, too.

The second scan shows the manager's price match. He asked if I minded if he took it all off one game, which I did not object to. Yes, his math is wrong (I didn't return a $49.99 game), but the result is the same.

PM included the $10 from the pre-order, the stacked 10% off coupon (the extra $6 in the discount), and the refund of the resultant lowering of tax. Cash in hand.

[quote name='slowdive21']Do you guys know if the uncharted codes work in the UK?[/QUOTE]
You need a US or Canadian PSN account and the NTSC version of the game in order for the code to work.

[quote name='no_exit']You need a US or Canadian PSN account and the NTSC version of the game in order for the code to work.[/QUOTE]

AHH That is why it is not working. Thanks!

Not trying to jump into the debate, but when I exploited the U2 glitch at BB earlier, I took a $14.99 game and rang it up with U2 and it came up $9.99 (before tax); I tried it again another time with a $19.99 game and again $5 was taken off the game and U2. I wasn't aware of the "$5 off $29.99 and up game" clause though, or I might not have tried it...

Pre-order bonuses ARE always free.

What this deal saves you is time. The time and hassle of having to go back and return your games without the pre-order bonuses (if you wanted to buy them down the road or on sale elsewhere). That's all. Still useful since it's completely trouble free and all on one transaction without an interest-free loan to Best Buy.

[quote name='GuardianE']Pre-order bonuses ARE always free.

What this deal saves you is time. The time and hassle of having to go back and return your games without the pre-order bonuses (if you wanted to buy them down the road or on sale elsewhere). That's all. Still useful since it's completely trouble free and all on one transaction without an interest-free loan to Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

You know I was thinking about this the other day....

A deposit used to mean you would lose the money if you did not complete the transaction. I guess that is not the case anymore. Do GS, GC, BBV and BB all let you keep the pre order bonus AND refund your money if it is after the release date?

[quote name='slowdive21']You know I was thinking about this the other day....

A deposit used to mean you would lose the money if you did not complete the transaction. I guess that is not the case anymore. Do GS, GC, BBV and BB all let you keep the pre order bonus AND refund your money if it is after the release date?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They all offer refunds for their pre-orders and since you were putting down a deposit for the guarantee of having the game on day one (not for the DLC, artbook, or other trinket that was a BONUS) you can get a refund if you aren't buying the game.

They can't take your pre-order bonus away from you. Even if it's something that's offered only after you've made the purchase, it's still within the policy that you can return the product for whatever reason. You're expected to return the product, but not any bonuses that came with it. The bonus has no real value to the store. Especially weeks down the line when they don't even remember it came with a bonus on launch.

A deposit used to mean you would lose the money if you did not complete the transaction. I guess that is not the case anymore. Do GS, GC, BBV and BB all let you keep the pre order bonus AND refund your money if it is after the release date?[/QUOTE]
GS used to allow you to move the pre-order deposit from a cancellation to another pre-order. I haven't pre-ordered there in a year, though.

BestBuy's policy used to be that if you didn't pick the title up within 2 weeks, you could bring the receipt back and they would refund you the money. If it was more than 30 days after the date of your pre-order my local BB would only give me the refund back on a BB gift card, but that didn't bother me, since I usually used it for another pre-order anyway.

ended up buying uncharted 2, but i missed all the preorder bonuses! argh! i hate to play the beggar, but does anyone actually have any extra codes?

bread's done
Back