Free year of OnLive subscription+Free game!

Xfactor19990

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
http://www.onlive.com/signup

so no monthly fee for a year, $50 value

they put you on a waiting list so first come first served im assuming

*Thanks to prototypeM for following tip*

According to follow up email you get a free game too

" For those who haven't yet redeemed your one free game Coupon Code, please do so ASAP! In order to encourage you to redeem your Coupon Code and spend some time playing games during this short beta, we will be sending out a second free game Coupon Code* the week of June 21st - but only to those users who redeem their first game Coupon Code now and help us test! "

Last edited by a moderator:
They sent me 2 emails, One for the activation of my account and the 2nd one that sent me had the free game code ^_^

Should look like this.

Dear Ryan,

We have enabled your OnLive Game account for use on the service. You should now be able to login on a PC or Mac at the following URL:

http://play.onlive.com/

You'll be prompted to download and install OnLive software through your browser. Then select "Games" and you'll be prompted to download OnLive software.

On a PC you can launch the OnLive software from a desktop shortcut or via the play.onlive.com browser page. On a Mac you should unzip the downloaded "OnLive" file to your Applications directory and launch it from there.

When launched, OnLive software will verify your computer's performance and your Internet connectivity. Navigate to the "Marketplace" to find our launch lineup of 23 titles.

Your coupon for one (1) free game* is "XXXXXXXX". Enter this coupon code in OnLive's "Confirm PlayPass Purchase" screen by selecting the "Apply Promo Code" button and entering your code. You can use this coupon on any one Unlimited PlayPass game within thirty (30) days of today.

haha Yeah, If anyone wants to trade their free game from onlive for like 30 xbox live themes( from the Dr. pepper promo) send me a pm!

I actually deleted that second email without reading it. Crap I could have possibly had two free game codes.

Cool thanks for the heads up. I signed up for a beta a long time ago when it was first starting up and never heard back from them. I'm interested in the service so hopefully this time I hear from them.

[quote name='jp0213']That's a tough choice. You have the true sandbox nature of Just Cause 2, but Batman: Arkham Asylum is an awesome game. I've replayed Batman 2 or 3 times now across different platforms. Just Cause 2, if you do all of the side missions could have a long play life on a first "play-thru". I personally would go with Batman.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice!

[quote name='Hollywood']Thanks for the advice![/QUOTE]
I think both of those also have demos available through the service so that might be something to look into.

I'm not going to lie, I'm impressed.

I'm waiting to use my game code until their selection is a bit better (I wouldn't mind trying Alpha Protocol for free so I don't have to pay for a potentially crap game) and tried a couple demos (Lego HP ftw).

I tried it on my netbook and it actually ran very well. There's definitely a bit of input lag, but you get used to it fairly quick. I wouldn't buy any of the games that are super quick twitch, any FPS, but a lot of games would work pretty well. I'm not sold on effectively renting games, but this works better than I expected.

My computer is ancient so I'm quite enjoying it. Playing it with some lag is better than not playing it at all. Do I have to send in an email or something to get the game code?

you have 30 days to use your free code FYI, for those of you who signed up for beta, did you also sign up for the year free? Must sign up for the year free to get the free game.

Darn I'm on vacation now and the internet in this hotel sucks so I won't be able to register before the 2nd game time limit expires. To get your game do you have to download anything/need a wired connection or can I just do it on their website or something?

I'm impressed with the service, but not the prices... Runs great on my netbook. I just wish you could use any joypad you have and not have to use a 360 controller with special drivers. I would like to use my PS3 controller. But Splinter Cell looks great. Bought it since none of the other games really impress me or only have rentals. Splinter Cell would have cost $60. I can't believe they charge more than what PC games cost. Oh well. Hoping for a second coupon like OP states so I can wait out for another game. It's probably between Harry Potter and Alpha Protocol. Hope they get a good selection and put up rentals for more games. With the prices to buy, rentals might be the only thing that saves it.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I've seen the pic before, and I'm pretty sure the Cammy in your profile pic is a man.[/QUOTE]

I hope so.

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']I signed up for the free year and no code in any emails. I emailed support and hoping to get a code from them...[/QUOTE]

Same thing for me. I too, emailed support. I guess we'll see what happens.

Put me down as another one who is impressed. I played the demo for Batman: AA. I already have the pc and Xbox 360 versions and wanted to compare. It doesn't look as good as it does on my gaming pc. It does look pretty close to the 360 version though. The textures just didn't look quite right, although the resolution was nice. The demo was played on my wife's pc. The mouse was a little laggy on the Onlive version.

My test tv is a Olevia 37" lcd @ 1360 x 768. My gaming rig is a C2D E6400 (2.13 ghz), 3 gig 800 mhz ram and a 1 gb GT240 GDDR5 video card running XP SP3. My wife's pc has an Athlon X2 4400+ (2.3 ghz), 4 gig 800 mhz ram and integrated 128 mb x1250 video running 32 bit Vista Ultimate SP2. I ran all three machines through the vga port. My internet is 6 mb service through ATT Uverse.

I'm kinda worried though. If they can do this now, the era of no longer owning games is right around the corner.

I thought this was for the console Onlive service. This is just to play games on your computer?

Just got my email invitation but slightly disappointed with the result.

WTF, I can't play onlive via wifi on my laptop which is the only dual core processor I have? What a colossal waste of time.

Time to find the cancel page.

I signed up and got a receipt for a year free, but my account never got activated, so I can't play, and I never received the free game coupon in the first place, so I doubt I'll get the second one anytime soon. I contacted support about 4 days ago, but they never responded to my email. Can this be any more annoying?

ya, after you get you receipt you should go to the website and log into your account. That should activate it.

I tried OnLive over the weekend and was pretty dissapointed. Playing the demo of Lego Harry Potter was cramped on a keyboard that didn't allow the use of the mouse. Not sure if the final game allows customization of controls, but the demo sure didn't. Had plenty of lag and sound issues. May check out again when I get a new, more powerful computer in the next few weeks, but that really takes away from the point of the service. At the point that my computer can now play PC games, I'd rather just buy the game than go through a subscription service.

I do believe they are still rolling out invites. I signed up at the end of may and did not get in till the 18th or 19th of June.

[quote name='Joartrak']I do believe they are still rolling out invites. I signed up at the end of may and did not get in till the 18th or 19th of June.[/QUOTE]

The service didn't even launch until June 17th.

Indeed it did! But for beta users an email was sent out at the end of may to sign up for a year free with a free game. The year free with the free game from AT&T is/was from June 15th-July14th*?

You can't even use a game controller for these games. It is all mouse and keyboard which doesn't work well on a laptop at all.

Man, this service is looking worthless.

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']I'm impressed with the service, but not the prices... Runs great on my netbook. I just wish you could use any joypad you have and not have to use a 360 controller with special drivers. I would like to use my PS3 controller. But Splinter Cell looks great. Bought it since none of the other games really impress me or only have rentals. Splinter Cell would have cost $60. I can't believe they charge more than what PC games cost. Oh well. Hoping for a second coupon like OP states so I can wait out for another game. It's probably between Harry Potter and Alpha Protocol. Hope they get a good selection and put up rentals for more games. With the prices to buy, rentals might be the only thing that saves it.[/QUOTE]

How the hell are you using a 360 controller. The service keeps telling me that my 360 controller is not compatible with the service.

[quote name='Joartrak']They sent me 2 emails, One for the activation of my account and the 2nd one that sent me had the free game code ^_^

Should look like this.

Dear Ryan,

We have enabled your OnLive Game account for use on the service. You should now be able to login on a PC or Mac at the following URL:

http://play.onlive.com/

You'll be prompted to download and install OnLive software through your browser. Then select "Games" and you'll be prompted to download OnLive software.

On a PC you can launch the OnLive software from a desktop shortcut or via the play.onlive.com browser page. On a Mac you should unzip the downloaded "OnLive" file to your Applications directory and launch it from there.

When launched, OnLive software will verify your computer's performance and your Internet connectivity. Navigate to the "Marketplace" to find our launch lineup of 23 titles.

Your coupon for one (1) free game* is "XXXXXXXX". Enter this coupon code in OnLive's "Confirm PlayPass Purchase" screen by selecting the "Apply Promo Code" button and entering your code. You can use this coupon on any one Unlimited PlayPass game within thirty (30) days of today.[/QUOTE]

The only email I got was a receipt for signing up.

[quote name='lllGurulll']How the hell are you using a 360 controller. The service keeps telling me that my 360 controller is not compatible with the service.[/QUOTE]

My 360 Wireless controller works great with it. All I had to do was turn on the controller and viola! Might be an issue with your drivers.

[quote name='lllGurulll']How the hell are you using a 360 controller. The service keeps telling me that my 360 controller is not compatible with the service.[/QUOTE]
On the requirements I think it said it had to be wired, not wireless. Which puts me out on that end.

^^^
EDIT: Or I was mistaken then. Awesome. I'm at the end of my month and have almost hit my bandwidth cap again so I have to wait until at least July 1st to actaully test this out.

Have you tried logging in on the website for onlive? You should get a message telling you that your account is "now activated"

[quote name='Joartrak']My 360 Wireless controller works great with it. All I had to do was turn on the controller and viola! Might be an issue with your drivers.[/QUOTE]

my drivers are fine. The controller logs all buttons and analog sticks. No reason for Onlive to reject it at all.

[quote name='Joartrak']think I might have a solution you could try,

"Yes, OnLive currently supports Xbox 360-compatible gamepads, but note that you must install the latest Microsoft Xbox-360 gamepad driver at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming&type=Gaming with Internet Explorer for the gamepad to work with OnLive. The default driver that installs automatically with Xbox 360-compatible gamepads will not work with OnLive."[/QUOTE]

Yep that worked. When windows installed the driver prior it seemed safe to assume it would install the right one since it was a microsoft product and all. Should have known better. lol

also, why would anyone drop 60 bucks to only have access to a game for 2 years? Seems nuts to me.

Well they are going to try to keep the "popular" games for as long as possible and when the time comes for the game to expire, everyone who purchased the game will get a prorated refund.

This is just awesome. This is from their FAQ

Q) How long will my Account remain active within your system while Suspended?
A) An account may remain in Suspension for up to 12 months before the Account is Closed.

Oh and when an account is closed guess what? You lose everything... Bought a game? Oh well it is like you never did. This is like how FF11 had 3 months to renew a sub before deleting your data (and that is why I never went back).

Now you can buy stuff and not even have to worry about a business going out of business because it has been essentially confirmed that you will not have it anymore.

By the way suspension can happen by a lapse in payment or breach of terms. So if you want to take a break from Onlive (tell them to suspend your account) to save up some cash, well you better want to go back within a year (which you most likely would). That is awful...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, You do need the wireless receiver for the wireless controller. That's the only way to get it to work on a computer anyway :)

[quote name='Kaltic']This is just awesome. This is from their FAQ

Q) How long will my Account remain active within your system while Suspended?
A) An account may remain in Suspension for up to 12 months before the Account is Closed.

Oh and when an account is closed guess what? You lose everything... Bought a game? Oh well it is like you never did. This is like how FF11 had 3 months to renew a sub before deleting your data (and that is why I never went back).

Now you can buy stuff and not even have to worry about a business going out of business because it has been essentially confirmed that you will not have it anymore.

By the way suspension can happen by a lapse in payment or breach of terms. So if you want to take a break from Onlive (tell them to suspend your account) to save up some cash, well you better want to go back within a year (which you most likely would). Still this is about the same thing as not using a steam account for a year and then all your data is wiped. That is awful...[/QUOTE]
Steam does that? Guess I better log back in.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Steam does that? Guess I better log back in.[/QUOTE]

No steam doesn't. I was saying it would be terrible if steam was to do that. I think I should edit my post because it does sound that way doesn't it. Sorry

[quote name='Kaltic']No steam doesn't. I was saying it would be terrible if steam was to do that. I think I should edit my post because it does sound that way doesn't it. Sorry[/QUOTE]
I was a little confused there because my sons account easily went past a year before we used it recently.

My problem with it is that it won't let me connect with wifi. I'm not going to take my laptop and plug it into the router just to play OnLive when it can play any current game just fine by itself.

Has anyone not gotten theirs? i still haven't gotten mine and i signed up literally 20 minutes after the sign ups went live

I got a year free and a game, the graphics arnt very good but they're ok. I havent experienced very much at all. Needs some work.

bread's done
Back