Fry's: BioShock 2 Special Editions $59.99 (updated 03/26)

[quote name='azeru']Fun addition about the 3 posters included in the Bioshock 2 CE - it was discovered yesterday that there are hidden messages on them, which can be seen with a black light:

http://kotaku.com/5478247/there-are-secret-messages-on-your-bioshock-2-posters[/QUOTE]

Very, very cool.

A painting I have was like...120$ to frame and 80$ to buy, christ. I really do want these framed and hopefully for much cheaper. Will need something retro looking though.

[quote name='Zippon']Waiting to bottom-feed after prices are slashed basically makes your vote meaningless. You are among the ignored as far as retailers and producers are concerned.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm pretty sure CAGs are among the hated as far as retailers are concerned. That's completely fine with me as I'm not tryin to be friends with the retailers.

I realllly want that vinyl so I may have to pick this up and just sell the rest of it off on Ebay or something lol.

It may seem stupid to some of you, but some people just like collecting limited, or collector edition games with no intention of selling them for a profit later on. It is just a hobby, and you can almost never predict how rare this special editions will become. So buying them full price at launch just ensures that you will get one at a reasonable price. I for one would rather pay 100 bucks for the limited edition, and be able to play the game, and have the limited edition than waiting for the price to go down, I guess that is where I'm not a CAG. Standard editions I can wait for the price to go down though :).

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You're an idiot.[/QUOTE]

It's part of the gamble. Had he done the same thing with the first BioShock LE he'd just be smart/rich.

I just started playing the first one (yes I'm terribly late) and I am absolutely in love with the whole Rapture world. I would have never considered buying this CE before but now I just want to get everything art and collector related for this game. I rarely ever feel that way about a game.

[quote name='prateeko']It's part of the gamble. Had he done the same thing with the first BioShock LE he'd just be smart/rich.[/QUOTE]
holy crap, i just looked at ebay for the first bioshock le, because everyone was saying this sort of thing and I have it and didn't even know it was selling for so much.

[quote name='Ocajavati']Kind of kicking myself in the head for not picking up GoWIII Ultimate Edition though, but that's another story for another time.
[/QUOTE]

You can still order from Best Buy with Bing. BB is at 8-15% cash back right now.

If anyone actually does order it can you tell me what the cashback % actually is on GOW 3 Ultimate?

[quote name='mva5580']I realllly want that vinyl so I may have to pick this up and just sell the rest of it off on Ebay or something lol.[/QUOTE]

I really love the idea of the vinyl because it fits the franchise so well, but at the same time, wtf am I going to do with it? I don't have a record player....

I think I may go to my local Fry's today and try to get the PC version today as the site says they have it in stock. It will be the same 69.99 in-store, correct?

I want the CE, but Bioshock: CE was only $10 over SRP and a much cooler set of extras. Maybe if it hits the sub $50 range.

[quote name='mva5580']I realllly want that vinyl so I may have to pick this up and just sell the rest of it off on Ebay or something lol.[/QUOTE]

Since there are people like you out there selling off the bits piecemeal, why not just buy the vinyl off ebay and skip the hassle?

[quote name='elessar123']I really love the idea of the vinyl because it fits the franchise so well, but at the same time, wtf am I going to do with it? I don't have a record player....[/QUOTE]

I have a record player, and I love it. :) That's why I want it so bad, I absolutely love the soundtrack to this game anyway and I really would like to have that. Hopefully my local Fry's still has it today.

[quote name='mva5580']I think I may go to my local Fry's today and try to get the PC version today as the site says they have it in stock. It will be the same 69.99 in-store, correct?[/QUOTE]

I saw the PS3 and 360 versions in stores at the same prices, but I didn't look for the PC version. It should be the same as well though.

Hell if they have 2 I might even buy them both, and just throw the 2nd on Ebay to try and make my $$ back. The PC version is probably really hard to come by. Guess we'll see.

I doubt you'll make much off this on eBay right now. There are a couple sellers that grabbed these and broke them up into the various components ... I don't think you'd be guaranteed to make back your money and selling the whole thing as one item would kill you on the shipping. It's a heavy CE ... best to just buy 1 and appreciate it IMO.

If amazon had the 360 one at this price I would pick it up since I have amazon store credit. I would sell the game to gamestop with their current promo and buy it again when it gets cheaper. One more price drop amazon, PLEASE!

[quote name='Knoell']It may seem stupid to some of you, but some people just like collecting limited, or collector edition games with no intention of selling them for a profit later on. It is just a hobby, and you can almost never predict how rare this special editions will become. So buying them full price at launch just ensures that you will get one at a reasonable price. I for one would rather pay 100 bucks for the limited edition, and be able to play the game, and have the limited edition than waiting for the price to go down, I guess that is where I'm not a CAG. Standard editions I can wait for the price to go down though :).[/QUOTE]

This is kind of how I feel too. I don't really see the point or value in buying a collector's edition for hopeful future resale value. If you enjoy the franchise, and enjoy the extras bundled as part of the CE, then get it. Buying the CE of anything just because you hope the value is going to go up, that is a pretty ineffective way of making money. Look at the Bioshock 1 LE, even though it seems to go for pretty fair amounts, say you could even sell one for $250 now, the game has been out for 3 years. ~$170 gain for 3 years...?

Sure it's fun to speculate a little but to buy a LE of something you're not interested in solely to hope it becomes valuable just doesn't make sense to me. Just my $0.02 though.

Ruahrc

[quote name='Corvin']I want the CE, but Bioshock: CE was only $10 over SRP and a much cooler set of extras. Maybe if it hits the sub $50 range.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I always have to laugh at this comment. What was so much cooler? The static, poorly-painted Big Daddy figure? The CD soundtrack? The making of DVD? Or the steelbook?

We got a CD and full-sized album soundtrack this time. We got 3 posters (which now apparently have blacklight effects!). We got a huge, hardcover artbook full of interviews and concept art. And we got a beautiful collectible box which is really sturdy and will last (unlike the cheap box from the first game).

A lot more effort went into this CE. And you got a lot more bang for your buck.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Actually, I'm pretty sure CAGs are among the hated as far as retailers are concerned. That's completely fine with me as I'm not tryin to be friends with the retailers.[/QUOTE]

That's really "cool" and all, but you're missing the point. It's not about being "friends" with the retailers. It's about supporting something you like with your dollars.

If you don't care about a particular product, that's fine. Wait for a sale. But if you want to support that product and see it succeed, you buy it early on. That results in more of that product being produced. If not, there's a chance it will go away. It's as simple as that. You can't always count on "the other guy" to be a "sucker" and support the thing you like.

[quote name='Ruahrc']This is kind of how I feel too. I don't really see the point or value in buying a collector's edition for hopeful future resale value. If you enjoy the franchise, and enjoy the extras bundled as part of the CE, then get it. Buying the CE of anything just because you hope the value is going to go up, that is a pretty ineffective way of making money. Look at the Bioshock 1 LE, even though it seems to go for pretty fair amounts, say you could even sell one for $250 now, the game has been out for 3 years. ~$170 gain for 3 years...?

Sure it's fun to speculate a little but to buy a LE of something you're not interested in solely to hope it becomes valuable just doesn't make sense to me. Just my $0.02 though.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

actually they are SELLING at 50-100 at best. dont mind those 200-500$ listings, they never sell.

[quote name='postulio']actually they are SELLING at 50-100 at best. dont mind those 200-500$ listings, they never sell.[/QUOTE]

Looking at completed auctions for the past couple weeks, there are at least a dozen that went for over $100, but around half included something extra, including an Artbook or the Neca Big Daddy figure (which regularly brings in 50-60 by itself).

If you want to talk CE's/LE's worth a ton, look up what a sealed Collector's Edition for World of Warcraft (not the expansion packs) go for. The ones that make it clear the account code is unused (and as such allows access to three special in-game pets) go for over $1000.

[quote name='Zippon']I'm sorry, but I always have to laugh at this comment. What was so much cooler? The static, poorly-painted Big Daddy figure? The CD soundtrack? The making of DVD? Or the steelbook?[/QUOTE]

Not even a steelbook ... the U.S. version was just a plastic case with a special cover. I completely agree, the 1st Bioshock LE was overrated in the minds of way too many people when they talk about this newer CE.

And I can confirm that the Bioshock LE isn't as hot as you might think it is, I sold a bundle on eBay last week with the game, Big Daddy statue, Little Sister Statue and art book and came out a little over $100. If I'd sold them separately I may have been able to get more but I was foolish and assumed a bundle would go for higher than the items by themselves ... lesson learned on that one ...

[quote name='etcrane']Not even a steelbook ... the U.S. version was just a plastic case with a special cover. I completely agree, the 1st Bioshock LE was overrated in the minds of way too many people when they talk about this newer CE.

And I can confirm that the Bioshock LE isn't as hot as you might think it is, I sold a bundle on eBay last week with the game, Big Daddy statue, Little Sister Statue and art book and came out a little over $100. If I'd sold them separately I may have been able to get more but I was foolish and assumed a bundle would go for higher than the items by themselves ... lesson learned on that one ...[/QUOTE]

The best thing about it was it was actually limited.

The people who make a big fuss about how many copies of something are made must be the same folks who get really excited about achievements and trophies and get all pissy when things like DLC don't include additional trophies.

I honestly don't get it ... I mean ... more so with the whole trophy/ platinum thing ... I play games to play games, not to feel a sense of achievement in something that is entertainment but I know is really meaningless beyond the experience it provides me. In the same way, if there are 200 of an LE made and I get one, that's awesome. But I'm not going to avoid a CE or LE if I know it's going to be mass produced simply because of that fact. I judge it based on the value that the contents hold to me personally. A good example is the Fallout 3 CE ... I paid full price and it's awesome, I love it ... I don't care if there are a million more because I really like mine and won't sell it or give it away. With this CE, I really like it too ... it's something I can lean on a bookshelf and not feel entirely nerded out by ...

So yeah, the first Bioshock LE was cool ... I bought it ... enjoyed the game ... but I'm happier having this CE on my shelf because even though it was limited, once you opened it you were left with a kinda ok big daddy sculpture and a few extra discs.

These people speak the truth...

[quote name='Zippon']I'm sorry, but I always have to laugh at this comment. What was so much cooler? The static, poorly-painted Big Daddy figure? The CD soundtrack? The making of DVD? Or the steelbook?

We got a CD and full-sized album soundtrack this time. We got 3 posters (which now apparently have blacklight effects!). We got a huge, hardcover artbook full of interviews and concept art. And we got a beautiful collectible box which is really sturdy and will last (unlike the cheap box from the first game).

A lot more effort went into this CE. And you got a lot more bang for your buck.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Zippon']That's really "cool" and all, but you're missing the point. It's not about being "friends" with the retailers. It's about supporting something you like with your dollars.

If you don't care about a particular product, that's fine. Wait for a sale. But if you want to support that product and see it succeed, you buy it early on. That results in more of that product being produced. If not, there's a chance it will go away. It's as simple as that. You can't always count on "the other guy" to be a "sucker" and support the thing you like.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Etcrane']The people who make a big fuss about how many copies of something are made must be the same folks who get really excited about achievements and trophies and get all pissy when things like DLC don't include additional trophies.

I honestly don't get it ... I mean ... more so with the whole trophy/ platinum thing ... I play games to play games, not to feel a sense of achievement in something that is entertainment but I know is really meaningless beyond the experience it provides me. In the same way, if there are 200 of an LE made and I get one, that's awesome. But I'm not going to avoid a CE or LE if I know it's going to be mass produced simply because of that fact. I judge it based on the value that the contents hold to me personally. A good example is the Fallout 3 CE ... I paid full price and it's awesome, I love it ... I don't care if there are a million more because I really like mine and won't sell it or give it away. With this CE, I really like it too ... it's something I can lean on a bookshelf and not feel entirely nerded out by ...[/QUOTE]

I feel like an idiot paying $85 at Bestbuy with my employee discount although I'm sure with S&H it would be about the same.

Dropped by Fry's today to see if they had this in stock. Had two on the shelf in the 360 section. Boxes slightly damaged from security wiring. Then saw in the cage under the PC games like 8 more or so, didn't check what platform. Next price drop on amazon (here's hoping) and i'm probably sold!

[quote name='Zippon']I'm sorry, but I always have to laugh at this comment. What was so much cooler? The static, poorly-painted Big Daddy figure? The CD soundtrack? The making of DVD? Or the steelbook?

A lot more effort went into this CE. And you got a lot more bang for your buck.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree about effort. You're forking over $40 extra(well, if you pay SRP) for some poster cards, an art book, soundtrack and a record that 99% of the population can't play. The set is way overpriced, IMO. It reminds me of the Lost: Season 5 'Dharma' kit that's also about $40 over the cost of the standard set.

The original Big Daddy figure is amazing especially considering it was only $10 more than the game. Not to mention most of the folks who got the original Bioshock: CE got a second figure and an art book as well.

I ordered the Collectors Edition from Amazon. The price is about the same if I bought it from Frys but I really wanted to get the PS3 version but whatever.

[quote name='Corvin']I have to disagree about effort. You're forking over $40 extra(well, if you pay SRP) for some poster cards, an art book, soundtrack and a record that 99% of the population can't play. The set is way overpriced, IMO. It reminds me of the Lost: Season 5 'Dharma' kit that's also about $40 over the cost of the standard set.

The original Big Daddy figure is amazing especially considering it was only $10 more than the game. Not to mention most of the folks who got the original Bioshock: CE got a second figure and an art book as well.[/QUOTE]

Look, nobody is going to win this debate. I get that there are some people that love action figures. Personally, it creeps me out when I go over to another persons home and see shelves full of action figures, but I get that some people really enjoy them. Some people really enjoy vinyl records and nice artbooks. Personally, I really like those two things, but I get that some people might think they are stupid and a waste of space.

I paid $79 for my Bioshock 2 CE at launch with the $10 Walmart price match and Discover rebate from Amazon. I don't regret it and I don't feel ripped off. If you don't like what it comes with, feel free not to buy it. While it was neat that the original Bioshock CE was only $70 (which really isn't cheap considering most of us don't pay more than $20 for a lot of our games), the days of inexpensive collector's editions are over. The second publishers figured out they could charge $20-$40 over full MSRP for mostly downloads and DLC and guarantee a first day or week sale, the days of "inexpensive" collector's editions were over. Heck, what do you think the profit margin is going to be on the $100 GoW III which only contains two physical items, neither of which anyone has actually seen in person yet?

[quote name='Corvin']I have to disagree about effort. You're forking over $40 extra(well, if you pay SRP) for some poster cards, an art book, soundtrack and a record that 99% of the population can't play. The set is way overpriced, IMO. It reminds me of the Lost: Season 5 'Dharma' kit that's also about $40 over the cost of the standard set.

The original Big Daddy figure is amazing especially considering it was only $10 more than the game. Not to mention most of the folks who got the original Bioshock: CE got a second figure and an art book as well.[/QUOTE]

I think if you said you liked the first CE better, I'd have no problem with that. Unfortunately, a lot of people extrapolate that to say the first was a better deal and/or the second was a ripoff. That's the bit I disagree with.

I have the first Big Daddy. I dig it, but let's not kid ourselves. Even though it was made in China, it reminds me of those $3-5 statues you buy in Mexico at tourist shops. The overall quality is really low, and the paint is fugly. Sending a bulk order to the Chinese factory took very little time.

Designing the mini posters for the second CE took easily as much time. And the book probably took months of effort. Hardcover art books go for $40-100 all by themselves. And this can stand next to any others I've seen. Which is why I think it's a good value, even before considering the CD soundtrack and the album.

So like whichever one you want. But don't say the $3 bootleg statue for $10 is a great deal while the $40-$80 artbook for $40 isn't. ;)

(And if you are one of those guys that says all artbooks are overpriced and should only cost $15, then you better discount that statue down to $.50. LOL)

[quote name='Zippon']I have the first Big Daddy.

So like whichever one you want. But don't say the $3 bootleg statue for $10 is a great deal while the $40-$80 artbook for $40 isn't.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, can I buy your Big Daddy for $3?

I always find that whenever I'm trying to discern the real value of something (as opposed to your made up values), eBay's usually a good place to start. The "3$ bootleg statue" by itself fetches ~$50, while it + the game gets 80-100. Meanwhile, your Artbook fetches anywhere from 16-45. Now, I'm not trying to make an argument that one LE is a better value than the other, I'm just making an argument that your argument is flawed.

Value itself is a very subjective term. You yourself value the artbook highly that makes the second one a very good deal to you. Many value the Figure highly as well (whereas you don't), which makes the first a very good deal. Myself, I know where all artbooks from games usually end up (in a box in the closet), so I don't value them much at all. This notion of "ripoffs" and "deals" is all opinion, and should be treated as such.

[quote name='Salamando3000']If that's the case, can I buy your Big Daddy for $3?

I always find that whenever I'm trying to discern the real value of something (as opposed to your made up values), eBay's usually a good place to start. The "3$ bootleg statue" by itself fetches ~$50, while it + the game gets 80-100. Meanwhile, your Artbook fetches anywhere from 16-45. Now, I'm not trying to make an argument that one LE is a better value than the other, I'm just making an argument that your argument is flawed.

Value itself is a very subjective term. You yourself value the artbook highly that makes the second one a very good deal to you. Many value the Figure highly as well (whereas you don't), which makes the first a very good deal. Myself, I know where all artbooks from games usually end up (in a box in the closet), so I don't value them much at all. This notion of "ripoffs" and "deals" is all opinion, and should be treated as such.[/QUOTE]

Can I buy your time machine so I can travel 2 years into the future to see how much the Bioshock 2 CE is worth, considering you seem to obviously own one and know the value of both CE's like the back of your hand ;)

[quote name='Salamando3000']If that's the case, can I buy your Big Daddy for $3?

I always find that whenever I'm trying to discern the real value of something (as opposed to your made up values), eBay's usually a good place to start. The "3$ bootleg statue" by itself fetches ~$50, while it + the game gets 80-100. Meanwhile, your Artbook fetches anywhere from 16-45.

Value itself is a very subjective term [/QUOTE]

The value to make an object, in this case money and time, is not subjective and that's what I got out of his post.

[quote name='Vortextk']The value to make an object, in this case money and time, is not subjective and that's what I got out of his post.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree, the cost of an object isn't subjective. However, his post didn't really deal with cost, but it dealt with the worth he attributed to individual objects. For example, he calls the Art Book a $40 dollar Art Book when I can guarantee you it didn't cost $40 bucks to make. In that case, most of the art was probably created during the development process, and would've existed if the artbook didn't, putting a bulk of the cost on laying out and printing.

That was the primary offense I found in his post - he was using numbers to make a quantitative argument using qualitative values. I don't really care which CE people like more or think is the better value, I just hate people using numbers in arguments when the values have no basis.

[quote name='Vortextk']The value to make an object, in this case money and time, is not subjective and that's what I got out of his post.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. That was exactly my point.

Salamando also has a point. I added the values to illustrate things. Not to indicate that those are rock-solid universal values. I've heard so many people romanticize about how awesome the statue is that I had to put it's quality into perspective. It gains value because it is rare, but the quality isn't there. Which is my point. If more of them were made, people would be slamming them for how fugly they are. And they wouldn't consider $10 a good deal for them. And ordering something like that, with mininal sculpted details and sweatshop quality paint, is cheap and simple to do.

On the other hand, something like the art book simply can't be ordered from China. Someone has to put it all together. And 2K did it all in-house, from what I hear. Gathering photos, researching history, conducting interviews, designing the layout--these things take a lot of time and effort. So, yeah, value is in the eye of the beholder. But the statue is a third-world trinket while the book was a significant labor. Where the free market ultimately takes their values is irrelevant. Lots of factors determine that. The point is that a lot more time and effort went into the new CE, which explains the higher price. And which also makes it an equal, if not better, upfront value.

But Salamando, your whole point fails to take into account the value of the item vs. time. The Bioshock 2 CE just came out and is in high supply. The Big Daddy figure (of which I owned 2) came out 2 years ago and was significantly rarer at that time as well. Outside of any made up value you want to give it, the quality of that figure is exceedingly lacking.

You can disagree if you too have owned one and feel differently, but if you haven't I find that aspect of your argument moot. In addition, back to the point about time and value, obviously something that just came out won't be the same value as something that has become more rare over time and thus appreciated in value due to higher demand and a lower supply. That doesn't guarantee that the quality was there in the first place, simply that time and lack of the product have driven up the demand and therefore the price.

My point is, in two or three years, or even further into the future, the art book in the Bioshock 2 CE may be worth more because it is a higher quality item and most likely did require more time and money to produce. Even if the art did exist prior to its creation, the fact that it is compiled in one place and in a pleasing manner add value to the item. That's like saying, well I can find pictures of Action Comics #1 online, so having the actual issue doesn't mean anything ... we both know that's not true. I do agree that the arbitrary numbers people are throwing out are meaningless, but I find that Zippon's main argument is solid and valid while your points can be debated, though they are worth raising.

Wow I'm really on the fents on this one. The art book looks slick, everything else I couldn't care less about. Even the vinyl though I own a record player, never was an OST guy.

[quote name='MrSneis']Wow I'm really on the fents on this one. The art book looks slick, everything else I couldn't care less about. Even the vinyl though I own a record player, never was an OST guy.[/QUOTE]

I personally really like the CE, but honestly, if you don't care about the condition of the outer box, I would give this a little time. Frys will continue to discount it until it sells, just like they did with the World of Warcraft expansions over time. Target will most likely clearance it out in the next month or two as well, so unless you're really really dying for the artbook, I'd hold off.

[quote name='etcrane']But Salamando, your whole point fails to take into account the value of the item vs. time. The Bioshock 2 CE just came out and is in high supply. The Big Daddy figure (of which I owned 2) came out 2 years ago and was significantly rarer at that time as well. Outside of any made up value you want to give it, the quality of that figure is exceedingly lacking.

You can disagree if you too have owned one and feel differently, but if you haven't I find that aspect of your argument moot. In addition, back to the point about time and value, obviously something that just came out won't be the same value as something that has become more rare over time and thus appreciated in value due to higher demand and a lower supply. That doesn't guarantee that the quality was there in the first place, simply that time and lack of the product have driven up the demand and therefore the price.

My point is, in two or three years, or even further into the future, the art book in the Bioshock 2 CE may be worth more because it is a higher quality item and most likely did require more time and money to produce. Even if the art did exist prior to its creation, the fact that it is compiled in one place and in a pleasing manner add value to the item. That's like saying, well I can find pictures of Action Comics #1 online, so having the actual issue doesn't mean anything ... we both know that's not true. I do agree that the arbitrary numbers people are throwing out are meaningless, but I find that Zippon's main argument is solid and valid while your points can be debated, though they are worth raising.[/QUOTE]

I'm officially confused as to what exactly is getting debated. So first, I want to at least try to clear that much up.

The original point someone was making was how "good a value" the items were at their launch. As Zippon mentioned, he was comparing "the value" of the Bioshock 1 figure vs the Bioshock 2 ArtBook/ArtPrint/Record, to which my primary problem was the usage of arbitrary data to prove his point. He used a dollar amount to (perhaps more accurately than not) describe the cost it would take to make the figurine and a dollar amount to describe how much he thought the Bioshock 2 artbook was worth (instead of the cost it would take to make the artbook). Both his argument and my opposition to his argument are independent of time.

My point with eBay values was mostly over the numbers he used to prove his argument were skewed to favor his argument.

Now, if we are to consider time, I really doubt time will be all that kind to this CE. As he mentioned just above, the Figure has such a high value by virtue of it being rare, and that's it. The Bioshock 2 CE (and, by extension, the Art Book) is not rare. It's still quite common in most places, Amazon still carries them, and Fry's currently has them on sale. While I cannot say how much it'll be worth in 2 years, I do know the number I'd guess goes down each day I can still find it.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I'm officially confused as to what exactly is getting debated. [/QUOTE]

You and me both. :) Let me try to simplify things.

Let's forget time, ebay values, rarity, and all that junk. All I take exception to is those saying 2K was ripping people off for charging more for this CE compared to the first. Saying this CE was "junk".

The first cost $10 more. The box wasn't collectible here in the US. It was just something to hold the game and the plain plastic bubble for the statue. It came with a CD soundtrack, but so did the second one. It also came with a "making of" DVD that nobody ever got excited about. The big draw was the statue, and that was made with very little effort or cost involved. They probably already had a simple 3D model of the Daddy in clay, sent it overseas, and told them to do minimal paint apps. The result is clearly not a quality product, not by any standard.

The second cost $40 more and included the full-sized LP, the mini posters, and an impressive (both in appearance and sturdiness) box. But ignoring all that, the main draw was the art book. Yes, paper and ink isn't terribly costly. But putting together the book didn't take a few hours, like the order for the statues. It took a lot of time. And it shows in the final product.

If they printed a million statues and 5 art books, or the other way around, it doesn't change the fact that the statue looks like a third-world bootleg versus the book which stands should-to-shoulder with much pricer hardcovers. One took a few hours to order at a Chinese factory, and the other was crafted over a period of weeks or months. One involved maybe a dozen decisions (use this sculpt, use these 5 colors, make it this size, etc) while the other involved hundreds if not thousands of decisions (creating content and layout for every page).

I'm not predicting long term values for the new CE or for the statue. I bought the Big Daddy action figure recently, and it completely eclipses the statue in every way for me. I doubt anything will surpass the art book, but you never know. And that's just my opinion. Others may love the statue just for its rarity. But the bottom line is that the effort and materials used for the first CE were proportional to the $10 price tag just like the extra effort and materials for the new CE were proportional to the $40 price tag (if not more so). That's all I'm saying.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Wait wait wait.

The Big Daddy figure from the first ce goes for 50? Holy crap that's probably the only thing from all the ces I buy that went UP in value[/QUOTE]
you and me both man, you and me both

I know this and I still collect, that does not make me an idiot though. It just makes it a hobby.

I'm tempted to buy the CE just for the record. Hopefully I can find someone in the trade forum that is interested in selling it for a reasonable amount.

[quote name='prateeko']Does anyone know how Frys or Amazon are shipping out the game?[/QUOTE]

You mean like how is it packaged? Mine which came from Amazon was like triple boxed. There was this custom cut cardboard-origami sleeve that the box itself was in, which in turn was sitting inside a box that snugly fit the cardboard sleeve. That box was then packaged with air-fill inside a larger box. There are pictures of the packaging if you look around. Don't know how Fry's does it but the one from Amazon there was very little chance that their packaging job could get the actual box damaged in transit.

Ruahrc

I got mine from Amazon packaged this way as well.

[quote name='Ruahrc']You mean like how is it packaged? Mine which came from Amazon was like triple boxed. There was this custom cut cardboard-origami sleeve that the box itself was in, which in turn was sitting inside a box that snugly fit the cardboard sleeve. That box was then packaged with air-fill inside a larger box. There are pictures of the packaging if you look around. Don't know how Fry's does it but the one from Amazon there was very little chance that their packaging job could get the actual box damaged in transit.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back