Fry's: BioShock 2 Special Editions $59.99 (updated 03/26)

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Ooo, one example out of the thousands of games released every year. Investing in video games is stupid as fuck.[/QUOTE]

My release day copy of Suikoden II that I paid $40 for, going for $120 on here, says otherwise.

My copy of MGS Subsistence Limited Edition that I paid $50 for, selling for $150 on Ebay, feels the same way.

[quote name='saetia']My release day copy of Suikoden II that I paid $40 for, going for $120 on here, says otherwise.

My copy of MGS Subsistence Limited Edition that I paid $50 for, selling for $150 on Ebay, feels the same way.[/QUOTE]
Dude really, there's very few games that actually go up in value.
And rarely is any of the profit you'd receive from reselling more than a few extra hours at work one weekend.
Games aren't an investment, they're a fun hobby.

Wow, I bought the LE at best buy a couple weeks ago but I just checked this thread to see what the latest was and I guess the one conclusion to be gotten from this is that gettingmoney is a huge douche. Just cause someone bought a game at retail doesn't make them a fucking idiot.

I collect video games for fun. Maybe someday they'll be worth a lot. Maybe it won't. But I'm not planning on using it to retire. This LE is awesome. the vinyl and posters are cool as shit.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that just about everyone in this thread has more money than gettingmoney. Which is maybe why he's so angry.

[quote name='saetia']My release day copy of Suikoden II that I paid $40 for, going for $120 on here, says otherwise.

My copy of MGS Subsistence Limited Edition that I paid $50 for, selling for $150 on Ebay, feels the same way.[/QUOTE]

You made $80 on a ten year investment and $100 on a four year investment. This is probably two examples out of a sizeable collection you have that has dropped in price dramatically. I make what you made over ten years in less than two nights of work.

The new title of this thread proves me right. Adios.

[quote name='confoosious']Wow, I bought the LE at best buy a couple weeks ago but I just checked this thread to see what the latest was and I guess the one conclusion to be gotten from this is that gettingmoney is a huge douche. Just cause someone bought a game at retail doesn't make them a fucking idiot.

I collect video games for fun. Maybe someday they'll be worth a lot. Maybe it won't. But I'm not planning on using it to retire. This LE is awesome. the vinyl and posters are cool as shit.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that just about everyone in this thread has more money than gettingmoney. Which is maybe why he's so angry.[/QUOTE]

If you could read, you could see that I called the person who bought two of these, one to keep sealed as an "investment," at full price was an idiot. I don't care if people buy games at retail price.

So what if he bought one as an investment and it didn't pan out?

You win some you lose some.

And bragging about making $100 in two nights work ... hah.

I don't be CE's of anything that isn't numbered anymore. Nor do I buy sequel LE stuff. They learned that Bioshock 1 was a major collector's item so they played off that and the fact that thousands of people were thinking the second one was going to be LE too. They then released an ass load of them so EVERYONE would scoop them up and think they had something that would increase in value. It is good marketing strategy. I will NEVER EVER buy a sequel LE again unless I actually want it for my personal collection.

That being said, there are exceptions to that rule... ME2 being the first one to pop into my head (tho I think it's stupid that that game is so sought after... the LE is garbage).

[quote name='Darknuke']They then released an ass load of them so EVERYONE would scoop them up and think they had something that would increase in value.[/QUOTE]

:roll:
I like how producing enough of an item so all your customers can buy it is somehow being nefarious.

2kgames has put out a lot of items for their fans. They are very dedicated to their fan base. I've received tons of awesome free stuff from them just for visiting their forums. When they saw secondary market prices from their first CE, they wanted to make sure fans got ample chance to get the second one. It's not their fault if they underestimated demand a bit. Did anyone consider that stores are clearancing these faster than normal because of their huge size, combined with the crowded release schedule for other AAA titles? Stores don't have the luxury of sitting on these.

I'd agree with those whining about the price if the CE had no added value other than prestige or rarity. But it originally cost $40 more than the basic game. For that price you got a huge, sturdy, beautiful box with 3 mini posters, a full-sized LP, a CD soundtrack, and a gorgeous hardcover artbook that would easily retail for $40-60 all by itself. Jaded kiddies like to devalue everything, as if their personal dislike for something indicates poor value, but this stuff was obviously a labor of love and took a lot of time to design and produce. Well worth full price. The sale prices are manna from heaven.

Nuff said. :cool:

[quote name='confoosious']So what if he bought one as an investment and it didn't pan out?

You win some you lose some.

And bragging about making $100 in two nights work ... hah.[/QUOTE]

You saw that as bragging? I saw that as $100 doesn't mean much at all if I can make that in less than two nights. Insecure much?

[quote name='Darknuke']I don't be CE's of anything that isn't numbered anymore. Nor do I buy sequel LE stuff. They learned that Bioshock 1 was a major collector's item so they played off that and the fact that thousands of people were thinking the second one was going to be LE too. They then released an ass load of them so EVERYONE would scoop them up and think they had something that would increase in value. It is good marketing strategy. I will NEVER EVER buy a sequel LE again unless I actually want it for my personal collection.

That being said, there are exceptions to that rule... ME2 being the first one to pop into my head (tho I think it's stupid that that game is so sought after... the LE is garbage).[/QUOTE]

Generally, LEs are separate from CEs and SEs. If it doesn't say limited, chances are it's not limited at all.

I bought this from best buy when it was $50, wasnt really interested in the vinyl or the posters, just wanted the game and artbook. I ended up selling them on ebay, $17 for the posters and $20 for the album. Ended up with the game,CD, & art book for ~$13. Just throwing it out there for anyone thats not interested in all the SE stuff.

[quote name='Zippon']:roll:
I like how producing enough of an item so all your customers can buy it is somehow being nefarious.

2kgames has put out a lot of items for their fans. They are very dedicated to their fan base. I've received tons of awesome free stuff from them just for visiting their forums. When they saw secondary market prices from their first CE, they wanted to make sure fans got ample chance to get the second one. It's not their fault if they underestimated demand a bit. Did anyone consider that stores are clearancing these faster than normal because of their huge size, combined with the crowded release schedule for other AAA titles? Stores don't have the luxury of sitting on these.

I'd agree with those whining about the price if the CE had no added value other than prestige or rarity. But it originally cost $40 more than the basic game. For that price you got a huge, sturdy, beautiful box with 3 mini posters, a full-sized LP, a CD soundtrack, and a gorgeous hardcover artbook that would easily retail for $40-60 all by itself. Jaded kiddies like to devalue everything, as if their personal dislike for something indicates poor value, but this stuff was obviously a labor of love and took a lot of time to design and produce. Well worth full price. The sale prices are manna from heaven.

Nuff said. :cool:[/QUOTE]

First of all, these LE, CE and SE's aren't intended to increase in value, but rather to please fans. So the fact that they made enough of them is a good thing for the fans.

Secondly, I personally don't think the items included are that great, but it sure as hell is a lot of items that would please the die hard fan. The art book is a full sized book, the soundtrack is actually on a CD, the LP is full sized and real (that I will never be able to play) and the 3 posters has hidden messages on them.

With that said I love the game, albeit it is identical to the first one to the T except for the story line and dual wielding of plasmids and a weapon.

bread's done
Back