Funimation Anime Sale

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']$30 is a steal for Princess Jellyfish, though. One of the best shows of the last couple years.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, from the bit that I saw at Katsucon.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Good show for what was made but it doesn't really come to a satisfying ending. Same goes for Clannad which I just finished. I would really like to hear that they are going to finish these shows.[/QUOTE]

Funimation implied that if it sold well enough, there could be more made. They certainly want more.

[quote name='killa5k7']Can anyone recommend Hetalia? or Even Darker Than Black?[/QUOTE]

I'll disagree with Kirin here and recommend Hetalia. Pure silliness and you get more out of it if you have some knowledge of history.

I'm on the fence on Darker Than Black. I agree with the others that the second season is odd, and not quite what I was expecting.

Funimation implied that if it sold well enough, there could be more made. They certainly want more.

I doubt funimation has much say into what the japanese anime companies produce.

I ended up getting Full metal panic 1, still on the cliff on getting Second raid and FUMOFFU.

Fumoffu has gone up in price to $28, I hope it's back down to $18 tomorrow, I want to order it, and the original series (on blu ray)

[quote name='Rogueleader17']I doubt funimation has much say into what the japanese anime companies produce.[/QUOTE]

No direct say, no. But, if something does sell well, there have been times when more of a series has been produced. (Big O is an example)

[quote name='Zaku77']Summer Wars is much better than Eden Of The East. (if you count the movies, not just the original series) If you prefer 'darker' type stuff, though, I can't really see you liking Summer Wars.[/QUOTE]
I think I enjoyed the imagery of this one more than the plot. The first 30 minutes were actually very enjoyable and I was starting to get into it, but then it all dissolved into typical Japanese storytelling which had me rooting for the 'cyberbully' to kill them all lol. If I had seen this in theaters, I think I would have walked away satisfied as it did pique my interest in a few places with its spin on a not-so-distant future. Makes you really wonder where our reliance on technology is taking us.

As for owning it, I probably would have passed. Oh well.

I can personally recommend FMA: Brotherhood, Darker than Black S1 (S2 is pretty bad, my review for it on Amazon is still liked/hated by many - I gave it a 2/5), Yu Yu Hakusho, and Eden of the East.

I bit on Sengoku Basara as it seems like a mindless action show (haven't watched it yet, and yes, it's on Netflix). I also double dipped on Yu Yu Hakusho S1/S2 as it was a legit remaster. I'm watching it now and it looks amazing on Blu!

I have never seen Fullmetal Panic but I might grab it at the next sale. I already bought enough as is. =P

Slightly OT, but I've been pining for a good anime movie/series in the vein of Berserk, Claymore, or Blood. Anyone know of something like that of late? I just really love the dark, gritty stuff that's brutal to watch. Even if it's not released in the states, any suggestions are welcome.

You should try out Hellsing if you have not already. Black Lagoon is also great, but it's not really that dark, but it's a great series.

[quote name='Squarehard']You should try out Hellsing if you have not already. Black Lagoon is also great, but it's not really that dark, but it's a great series.[/QUOTE]
Haha, I've seen both actually. Hellsing quickly followed Trigun way back in the day and I've been meaning to buy it. Black Lagoon was pretty good but I kind of lost interest halfway through the series. Good classics for sure though.

[quote name='Jodou']Slightly OT, but I've been pining for a good anime movie/series in the vein of Berserk, Claymore, or Blood. Anyone know of something like that of late? I just really love the dark, gritty stuff that's brutal to watch. Even if it's not released in the states, any suggestions are welcome.[/QUOTE]

For Dark, Butal, and gritty I would suggest: Hellsing, or the hellsing ultimate remake, Black lagoon, Requiem for Phantom, Higurashi no koro ni (also known as "when they cry"), Ergo proxy, all of the rurouni kenshin movies and ovas, Afro Samurai, Mnemosyne, Deadman Wonderland, Neon Genesis Evangelion, elfen lied, Highschool of the dead, Deathnote, and Gantz.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']For Dark, Butal, and gritty I would suggest: Hellsing, or the hellsing ultimate remake, Black lagoon, Requiem for Phantom, Higurashi no koro ni (also known as "when they cry"), Ergo proxy, all of the rurouni kenshin movies and ovas, Afro Samurai, Mnemosyne, Deadman Wonderland, Neon Genesis Evangelion, elfen lied, Highschool of the dead, Deathnote, and Gantz.[/QUOTE]
I guess I should have specified what 'as of late' meant. I'm talking more recent like within the last four years or so. I think the only two on that list I haven't seen or didn't get into are Deadman Wonderland and HS of the Dead. First one, never heard of it so I'll look into it and the second one I wrote off as one of those fan service series. Guess I'll give it another look!

[quote name='Jodou']I guess I should have specified what 'as of late' meant. I'm talking more recent like within the last four years or so. I think the only two on that list I haven't seen or didn't get into are Deadman Wonderland and HS of the Dead. First one, never heard of it so I'll look into it and the second one I wrote off as one of those fan service series. Guess I'll give it another look![/QUOTE]

I was kinda iffy on hs of the dead, it does have alot of fanservice but I think it can be kinda dark and brutal at times. Deadman wonderland was pretty good though, still waiting for an end on that show though.

[quote name='Jodou']I guess I should have specified what 'as of late' meant. I'm talking more recent like within the last four years or so. I think the only two on that list I haven't seen or didn't get into are Deadman Wonderland and HS of the Dead. First one, never heard of it so I'll look into it and the second one I wrote off as one of those fan service series. Guess I'll give it another look![/QUOTE]

Have you seen 'Another' yet? That's a very recent one with some gore and grit where school kids can get pretty cruel -- especially the last few eps. There's a supernatural tinge as the basis of the story background, but it's more about the interaction between everyone.

I liked it. Not that it means much.

It streams on crunchyroll here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/another

It already has english subtitles on crunchy when you watch. Is there a difference?

Anyways, I'm disappointed that this sale hasn't dropped the second complete collection of FMA Brotherhood to the same price as the first. Here's hoping it goes down by July.

I jumped on Mongolian Chop Squad, Armitage III, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Tales of Vesperia. Total came out to be around $95.

Missed out the original printings of MCS when it had "Beck" in the title, but I did get to see the digital stream on FUNi's site. Absolutely love the series and felt it's a much better music-related series than K-ON (which is nothing more than "cute girls doing cute things"). Also slightly annoyed that Kadokawa is preventing us from getting Blu-ray releases of P&S out of fear of reverse importation (this being the second time it's happened), but I guess I may as well jump on the limited edition DVD for the time being. Hopefully we'll get a Blu-ray release next year.

[quote name='Tsukento'] Also slightly annoyed that Kadokawa is preventing us from getting Blu-ray releases of P&S out of fear of reverse importation (this being the second time it's happened), but I guess I may as well jump on the limited edition DVD for the time being. Hopefully we'll get a Blu-ray release next year.[/QUOTE]

No one knows why Panty and Stocking is not getting a Blu-ray release. There is a rumor that Kadokawa is preventing it, but there's no proof. The blame either lies with Funimation or Kadokawa. Strike Witches 2 was supposed to come out on Blu-ray in February, even before the Japanese release, so it could be Funimation's fault for stepping on the toes of Japanese releases.

We won't know the answer to this situation until Sentai releases Another on Blu-ray, which will probably be at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Kadokawa holds the international rights to Another, so if Kadokawa is truly preventing Blu-ray releases outside of Japan, then Another should be DVD-only; however, if Another is released on Blu-ray, then the reason we're not seeing Blu-ray releases for Funimation's Kadokawa titles is because Funimation probably pissed them off.

I just want to thank everyone for the recommendations of Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Summer Wars' imagery was fantastic. As for TGWLTT, I had two thoguths: 1) it starts a little slow but finished really strong imo 2) did you know there was a book that was a prequel to TGWLTT? It made the plot even stronger if you look on Wikipedia and read the prequels plot.

Thanks again for everyone who made the recommendations and for posting the deal!

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']The Fairy Tail BD/DVD Combo Packs are the Amazon Deal of the week at around $22 a pop.[/QUOTE]
Just picked them up. Was going to post about the price in the general anime thread, but I couldn't find it.

Great deal on those Fairy Tail Combo Packs. Bought mine for about $25 bucks each long time ago. Love the anime and manga!

[quote name='Razzuel']No one knows why Panty and Stocking is not getting a Blu-ray release. There is a rumor that Kadokawa is preventing it, but there's no proof. The blame either lies with Funimation or Kadokawa. Strike Witches 2 was supposed to come out on Blu-ray in February, even before the Japanese release, so it could be Funimation's fault for stepping on the toes of Japanese releases.

We won't know the answer to this situation until Sentai releases Another on Blu-ray, which will probably be at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Kadokawa holds the international rights to Another, so if Kadokawa is truly preventing Blu-ray releases outside of Japan, then Another should be DVD-only; however, if Another is released on Blu-ray, then the reason we're not seeing Blu-ray releases for Funimation's Kadokawa titles is because Funimation probably pissed them off.[/QUOTE]
Is This a Zombie? pre-orders just when up on RightStuf and sure enough, DVD-only. It's definitely Kadokawa pretty much cock-blocking Blu-ray releases. What the reason is, is still unsure (and I'm still sticking with them not wanting the risk of reverse importation affecting their own sales). I very much doubt they'd block one company from getting Blu-ray releases when the whole reverse importation thing's a very big deal for Japan.

More or less, the Japanese companies don't seem to understand why sales tend to be low for their series' that aren't full of fanservice and don't understand why Japanese consumers tend to import US Blu-ray releases instead; higher episode count, far lower price. Instead, they continue to stick to the method of releasing singles with 2 to 4 episodes per disc for the equivalent of about $80 per BD. Giving US companies DVD-only effectively stops the Japanese consumers from importing since the US and Japan don't share the same region coding like the Blu-rays do.

On another note, One Piece DVD Collection 7 and Season 4 Part 1 finally are up for pre-order and have release dates.

Collection 7 - August 14, 2012 ($20.99)
Season 4 Part 1 - August 7, 2012 ($23.99)

NOZOMI/RightStuf also got the rights to re-release Martian Successor Nadesico on DVD. Includes all 26 episodes, The Prince of Darkness movie and the previously unreleased Gekiranger 3 OVA.

Special Features: Interviews with Actors and Staff, "Welcome to Belle Equipe" Documentary, "Nadesico Sorekara" Special, TV Series Clean Opening and Ending, TV Spots, Movie Spots and Trailers, Prince of Darkness Music Video, Previews.

All for $35.99. Friggen ON THAT.

I'd be on Nadesico if it was remastered (if that's even possible) and given lossless sound on Blu-ray. As is I already have the series on DVD. It's one of my favorites though, and was the 1st anime title I ever bought.

Thankfully I no longer have to pay $20+ for one VHS at Suncoast.

[quote name='jedimario']2) did you know there was a book that was a prequel to TGWLTT?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Written by the same author who wrote Paprika. (The novel, not the movie) Apparently, it is a story that has been adapted many times in Japan. Hosoda put his own twist on it by making it a sequel of sorts.

[quote name='Tsukento']Is This a Zombie? pre-orders just when up on RightStuf and sure enough, DVD-only. It's definitely Kadokawa pretty much cock-blocking Blu-ray releases. What the reason is, is still unsure (and I'm still sticking with them not wanting the risk of reverse importation affecting their own sales). I very much doubt they'd block one company from getting Blu-ray releases when the whole reverse importation thing's a very big deal for Japan.

More or less, the Japanese companies don't seem to understand why sales tend to be low for their series' that aren't full of fanservice and don't understand why Japanese consumers tend to import US Blu-ray releases instead; higher episode count, far lower price. Instead, they continue to stick to the method of releasing singles with 2 to 4 episodes per disc for the equivalent of about $80 per BD. Giving US companies DVD-only effectively stops the Japanese consumers from importing since the US and Japan don't share the same region coding like the Blu-rays do.[/QUOTE]

Sigh, I don't want to get into this, haha.

Reverse importation fears aren't exclusive to Kadokawa; all of the Japanese licensors fear it. Now, it is a possibility that Kadokawa is at fault, but if it's solely for the fear of reverse importation, then why isn't every company doing it? That's not hard evidence. It doesn't prove anything. A more probable scenario is that Funimation pissed off Kadokawa. However, no one knows who is at fault, except the parties involved. HLP Forte, Panty & Stocking, and Is This a Zombie are fully owned and licensed to Funimation by Kadokawa, and so far all of them have been relegated to DVD only releases. Another is also fully owned and licensed out by Kadokawa, but the difference is that it is licensed to Sentai Filmworks, who has had no trouble putting out Blu-rays thus far. When Another is released, the truth will be revealed.

The release that I care about is Steins;Gate, but Kadokawa only holds control of the international licensing, not the whole show itself, so maybe that will actually get a Blu-ray release. Who knows.

As for why anime is so expensive and is released in singles in Japan, it's because it has to be for the companies to make back their money. They can't release it any other way. I suggest you read all three parts of Justin Sevakis' article about it on ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

[quote name='b3b0p']What's the consensus on Spice and Wolf and Clannad?[/QUOTE]Spice and Wolf: Haven't watched it, so not sure.

Clannad: Two words: MUST. WATCH.

...And a few more: You need to watch the sequel series, Clannad: After Story, afterwards to get the complete story.

Seriously, though, the Clannad series altered my perception of anime for the better and raised my standards to a very high level.

[quote name='Vigilante']Spice and Wolf: Haven't watched it, so not sure.

Clannad: Two words: MUST. WATCH.

...And a few more: You need to watch the sequel series, Clannad: After Story, afterwards to get the complete story.

Seriously, though, the Clannad series altered my perception of anime for the better and raised my standards to a very high level.[/QUOTE]

I just finished clannad and I thought it was a very solid slice of life anime with just a hint of supernatureal but I really don't get the hype, I haven't watched after story yet which is probably why.

Any one have any thoughts on Shiki? It looks pretty good by the trailer but is it as cool as they are making seem? when I watch the trailer I imagine something like higurashi or Serial Experiments lain in how creepy it looks.

Anybody order Gundam Unicorn vol 5 from RightStuf? I just got an email saying they wouldn't be able to fill my order (at least right away) due to unforeseen demand, but are still working on it. However, vol 5 doesn't even come out for close to 3 more weeks.

I hope the e-mail is just a fluke since the disk isn't out yet. I've never pre-ordered from them before, so not sure if this is common.

[quote name='pjb16']Anybody order Gundam Unicorn vol 5 from RightStuf? I just got an email saying they wouldn't be able to fill my order (at least right away) due to unforeseen demand, but are still working on it. However, vol 5 doesn't even come out for close to 3 more weeks.

I hope the e-mail is just a fluke since the disk isn't out yet. I've never pre-ordered from them before, so not sure if this is common.[/QUOTE]

That's the standard email they use for items they're unable to ship immediately, such as preorders. You're fine.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']I just finished clannad and I thought it was a very solid slice of life anime with just a hint of supernatureal but I really don't get the hype, I haven't watched after story yet which is probably why.[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way, sorta. I'm open to shows of this sort, saw all of it (After Story included) and didn't really feel anything nor understand why it gets so much praise.

Then again, I must be the only one who absolutely hates Nagisa. I honestly thought she was extremely boring as a character and as a love interest. Hell, her parents were more interesting than she was.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']That's the standard email they use for items they're unable to ship immediately, such as preorders. You're fine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I figured that was the case, but didn't want to just wait around if it weren't.

[quote name='Tsukento']I feel the same way, sorta. I'm open to shows of this sort, saw all of it (After Story included) and didn't really feel anything nor understand why it gets so much praise.

Then again, I must be the only one who absolutely hates Nagisa. I honestly thought she was extremely boring as a character and as a love interest. Hell, her pssarents were more interesting than she was.[/QUOTE]

I too thought Nagisa was an awful character. She was portrayed as a completely helpless girl who seemed to live solely to please other people. Yawn.

Her parents were way better characters imo. I was mad at myself for watching through both After Story and Clannad S1. At least I know that it's not as great as people say it is.

[quote name='kyrhon']I too thought Nagisa was an awful character. She was portrayed as a completely helpless girl who seemed to live solely to please other people. Yawn.

Her parents were way better characters imo. I was mad at myself for watching through both After Story and Clannad S1. At least I know that it's not as great as people say it is.[/QUOTE]

To each their own. Clannad / Clannad After Story is probably my favorite Anime overall because it had such a huge emotional impact for me. I really liked the theme / focus of family and friends and that you shouldn't regret how things may turn out in life. Enjoy life and be thankful for what you have is the message I took away from the show.

But as with any Anime, some people will like it and some people won't.

I ended up ordering Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt as well as Is This A Zombie? and got the 10% gotanime discount. The FUNimation sale was said to have ended May 17th but Right Stuf has yet to add back the "excludes membership discounts" tag on the FUNimation titles. If you want in on the 10% discount on preorders I suggest you move now.

As for the whole DVD and blu-ray debate. I was really on the fence about ordering Kadokawa titles but I am glad we are getting some form of an Anime in NA. I would like the blu-rays but I can live with DVDs for certain titles I suppose. I do prefer Sentai Filmworks over FUNimation because they seem to release licensed Anime a lot faster. I mean I don't think anybody is thrilled waiting over a year for a localized release. I really hope Steins; Gate isn't DVD only but if it is, I will still end up buying it because I heard it's really good.

bread's done
Back