FYE: 20% Bonus Trade Ins is Back!!! Extended til 7/27 YMMV

briansraregames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
UPDATE: Many CAGs are reporting that the trade in deal has been extended to the end of July! Be aware that this has not been confirmed and like everything else FYE does, may be very YMMV depending on the competancy of their employees.

Looks like FYE is running their "Brown Bag" trade in deal again.

Basically, anything you trade in (CD,DVD,Game) gets an automatic 20% bump, plus if you elect to get store credit, you get another 25% bump!!! Just be sure that your stuff is in good shape and complete...FYE can be very picky! And also be aware that like any other deal at FYE, this can be YMMV depending on how on the ball the staff is!

According to the brown bags, this promo runs until 7/18/07 so we all have plenty of time to exploit it!

THIS is the bag you need to look for:

UPDATE: Here are some reported trade in values (before bump)

Also, if you guys are looking for trade in values, www.secondspin.com is usually pretty close to what you receive in store.

[XBOX]

Winning Eleven 8 - $5.00
Stacked - $8.00
Nightmare Bf Xmas - $5.00
Tony Hawk A.W. - $4.00
Gun - $5.00
Frogger Ancient Shadow - $5.00
NTRA Breeder's Cup - $5.00
G. Hastings Paintball Maxd - $7.00
Scarface - $10.00

[PS2]

Cabelas Dangerous Hunts - $5.00
IGPX - $16.00
Barbie 12 Dancing Princesses - $7.00
SingStar Rocks Bundle - $21.60
Dirge Cerberus - $8.00
Phantom Brave - $12.00
Tourist Trophy - $12.00

[PSP]

Samurai Warriors - $15.00
Blitz Overtime - $16.00 now $2.00
Y's Ark of Napishtim - $8.00
MTX Mototrax - $7.00
Bust A Move - $12.00
Juiced Eliminator - $4.00
GTA Liberty City - $7.00
Lemmings - $9.00

[XB360]

Viva Pinata - $12.80
DDR Universe - $21.60
Virtua Tennis 3 - $21.60

[PS3]

Untold Legends - $24.00

[DS]

Point Blank - $7.00
Rub rabbits - $8.00
Garfield - $7.00

woo! I'm getting the price adjusted! I had to call the district manager but i'm getting my +100 bucks back! =)

[quote name='majinvegeta-88']Went to gamestop today and found an NBA Starting Five, when I took it to the counter though the cashier couldn't find the disc :([/quote]

or she didnt want to give it to you lol. or perhaps someone who bought a diff nba game got that disk

[quote name='Ed_']woo! I'm getting the price adjusted! I had to call the district manager but i'm getting my +100 bucks back! =)[/QUOTE]

How did you get the number for your district manager? I'm trying to do the same thing, but my store manager is giving me the "I have to talk to corporate" runaround.

I am going to have to try the starting 5 if i can locate a copy of it. Since I have not traded anything in for about 1-2 weeks so maybe my ban is over with

[quote name='dtcarson']I think I read that FYE doesn't like unopened DVDs?[/quote]I went in with two rather full bags yesterday morning (figuring mornings are when managers generally work, and the store shouldn't be too busy. With my cds, and a few anime dvds I brought along about four xbox games still sealed. When the manager gets to the games, he picks up a boxcutter and is about to sllice into the wrapping.

I stopped him, stating that I want to know the TIV first. "If it's good enough I'll trade in, otherwise I'll keep to trade with my online buddies." He had no problem with that, and scanned for trade-in values. Two traded in, two came back home. He explained that any item traded in has to be open. I have no problem with that, and he had no problem when I told him every game I buy new stays sealed until I go to play it; that about ½ my game collection is still in it's original condition.

Of course, seeing the condition of all my used stuff, I think he saw that I take good care of my stuff. And I'm not the usual suspect when it comes down to potentially stolen merchandise. I wear business casual clothes for the most part and I'm not a kid.

Also, is Second Spin a reasonably good source of tradein values for FYE?
Prettty close. A few cds on Second Spin gave me a $1 value or up, and in-store came up 1¢, an indication they can't take (or sell) the item. At 1¢, I would have kept anyway. Anything giving under $1 I'm holding aside to ebay in lots. Soundtracks for the most part get nothing trade-in wise.

Similarly neither do cd singles/eps. That I found curious. Some of my old special edition singles (nin, tori amos) I thought would have held some value. On ebay they may catch a few bucks. In FYE, they'll get you 36¢.

Thanks to whoever mentioned NBA Starting Five. My local had one (case buried in a bin, but had original art and instructions). The disc was crappy, so I bought it, then returned an hour later when the manager had returned (he does the bestest job of cleaning discs).

When I asked him to clean it for me, he looked at the disc and asked why I got that game. Not to be rude, he just knows my tastes and that's not what I typically buy. I told him that the game rocked, "I'm so into that game right now." It's funny, he doesn't know when to believe what I say, "Are you into basketball?" I laughed and told that it trades for $12 at FYE and mentioned the extra 45% bump right now for dvds, cds and games.

Everyone's ears perked up when I mentioned cds. "They take cds?" The new fella got excited realizing he could build some solid credit toward a 360. So this evening I picked up a bunch of bags to drop off at my EB tomorrow morning. Also hooked them up with secondspin.com for a basic TIV function.

They take such good care of me in there, I like to help out whenever I can. I even was going to pick up another Helio Heat for the AM but they were out. =(

I found that Second Spin was accurate with game trade in prices, but with DVDs and CDs it differed.

Anyways, here's what I traded in including the 45%:

:ds:
Animal Crossing - $23.20
Diddy Kong Racing - $14.50
Sonic Rush - $13.05
Trauma Center - $13.05
Polarium - $7.25
Bomberman - $8.70
Magical Starsign - $11.60

:360:
DDR Universe - $31.32

I also traded a few DVDs I definitely didn't pay more than $5 for orignally and a couple CDs I picked up at a yard sale for $1. I basically made the money back I spent on the items originally (except DDR - CC profit haha). Total I got about $150. Thought the trade in price on Animal Crossing was decent. I think some K-Marts had them on clearance for $9 not too long ago, I know none in the area did but if any CAGs find them, here's a good opportunity to flip-n-profit.

I think I may go to another location I did not see the bags at this weekend and maybe bring in an Enchanted Arms and another DDR Universe...just to get closer to enough for a 360 :D

By the way, someone mentioned the anime DVDs at Big Lots. There are a couple others:
Mars Daybreak V. 2 gets $5 before deal 7.25 after
Zentrix V. 1 box set gets $6 before deal 8.60 or so after

I'm still shocked I wasn't effectively banned from trading into FYE due to the 10 or so copies of Powerdrome I traded in(some for cash, some for credit) over a little under 3-4 months.

Then again, I was heading out of my area for work alot, so I'd hit FYE's in different states/towns to do a quick trade or three, somewhere where I wasn't 'known'.

Oh and Gwen, they typically told me I had to wait till my 'next visit' if I came in with unopened games, so I'm kinda shocked they let you trade those in. Then again, I oftentimes look like the fifth Beatle with scraggly hair and a goatee, so maybe it was my appearance? Funniest thing is, when they told me I had to wait till my 'next visit', I walked out, opened the games up, kept the shrinkwrap and other plastic in my bag and walked back IN.

Technically, it WAS my 'next visit'. The clerk just snickered and said 'ok, let's trade those in'. :lol:

[quote name='lyric706']How did you get the number for your district manager? I'm trying to do the same thing, but my store manager is giving me the "I have to talk to corporate" runaround.[/quote]

I got it from the store manager. She answered the phone and I asked her who the district manager was and how I can get ahold of her. She asked if she oculd help me and I explained the situation and she said she couldn't help me, then gave me the district manager's number. Just got back from there with my giftcard worth $108.25:cool:

Good work, Ed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm still shocked I wasn't effectively banned from trading into FYE due to the 10 or so copies of Powerdrome I traded in(some for cash, some for credit) over a little under 3-4 months.[/quote]Ten copies?! What sort of credit did you make?
Oh and Gwen, they typically told me I had to wait till my 'next visit' if I came in with unopened games
That's probably that stores way of dealing with the "no unopened product trades" policy. They don't want to get in trouble with corporate in case you're a secret shopper and/or testing them. If you're not testing them, but had actually were trading in or selling stolen merchandise, again they're covered... to an extent. They told you no unwrapped product, they refused you on the visit when you attempted to trade in new games.

Sounds like a manager who has a CYA policy for his store and staff, but still wants to do the trade business.

Then again, I oftentimes look like the fifth Beatle with scraggly hair and a goatee, so maybe it was my appearance?
Personal presentation goes a lot further than people might imagine. Days when dress down in jeans and I have my hair in a lot of braids or a couple ponytails, those are the days that store security always seems to find themselves in the same aisles as I'm visiting. When I dress and act like jane-average-idiot-soccer-mom I'm pretty much ignored. Dressing nicer, stand at full height, speak clearly and matching eye contact with those around me, and the attitude of clerks and management is very cooperative and respectful.

Funniest thing is, when they told me I had to wait till my 'next visit', I walked out, opened the games up, kept the shrinkwrap and other plastic in my bag and walked back IN.
Nice. :lol:

Good news! After dealing with one too many idiot FYE cashiers, I had finally had enough and e-mailed corporate at [email protected].

I made sure to specify in my complaint the store numbers of the stores I had problems with, as well as the names of the employees who gave me problems.

There is only so many times an employee can lie straight to my face, ya know. "That promotion expired." "The bag has to be about this full." "You can't trade in if you don't have the bag." "I've never heard of that promotion."

When employees gave me BS, I asked them for their name, which they had to tell me. After the last straw earlier this week(an employee checking her planner after I told her the promotion doesn't expire until 7/18, then her telling me that the planner says the promotion is over, but refusing to let me see where the planner or any marketing said this, I e-mailed corporate with the dirt on a few stores.

Yesterday, a few days after I wrote, some higher-up called me. I took her to task for failing to properly execute this trade-in promotion across the several stores she is in charge of. I mean, I know that as much as the employees suck, they're only as good as those who are responsible for them. If they're told bum information, that's what they're going to give out.

The head muckity muck apologized and said that yes, I was right about how the promotion works, and the employees at those stores have now been properly educated on how to do this deal. Walked into the FYE that screwed me over last time and was treated like a VIP by the employee who had denied me before(although I'm sure she wanted to watch me bleed out of my eyes).

This is how we need to operate. Too many people I know let themselves get shoved around and don't stand up for themselves. When you get some BS at the store level, argue your case. When that doesn't work, don't, ya know, kick over a magazine rack, but document the encounter(store number and employee name are mandatory), and then start climbing the chain of command. An associate may not care about his or her job, but the person above them does, as does the person above them, and so on.

This year alone, a simple complaint to the right people has netted me:

* Five certificates for a free Value Meal at Burger King(and the problem I had was solved)

* A $25 gift card from Best Buy.

* Free internet from Comcast for three months.

Keep the faith, CAGs.

[quote name='guinaevere']
Ten copies?! What sort of credit did you make?
[/quote]

On average, at that point in time, Powerdrome was making roughly $13-15 per copy and I was getting my copies from GS for $1.99-$3.99. So yeah, I had some really GOOD motivation to risk getting banned for trading multiples(at different times though).

Not counting the gas I probably spent going back and forth between my local THREE FYEs and trading in copies, it only took me about a month or two to get almost $200ish in credit. I took a break, in between spurts of trading 3-5 copies. LOL Of course, a couple times I took the cash value to pay for my gas for the days run, but it was definitely a fun run.

It also didn't hurt that I bought a PStwo slim with it and after alot of annoyance from Transworld's inept CS reps telling me my $30 PStwo rebate was a $3 CD rebate, I finally got my money at store level thanks to phoning a District Manager to get some action taken(some real action) on the matter.

Funnier still, just a day or two before I was told to go get my money from the manager at the local store by their DM, I filed yet another complaint with TW's CS reps and about 2 months AFTER getting the $30 rebate IN STORE, I get what looks like a postcard.

It's from TWEC, so I'm like 'what, do they expect me to return the money now or something?'. I flip it over and realize it's actually a CHECK, printed on post card stock. Now, normally once something has been settled, I would have not been this vindictive, but I took that postcard check, cashed it and went out for a nice dinner on TWEC. Took em long enough to realize I'd jumped through all their hoops and submitted the right things.

So, in the end, the PStwo slim got double rebates and I paid essentially ZIP for it, since those copies of Powerdrome were usually only $1.99 each. Not a bad cheapass deal, if I say so myself. :lol:

Thanks again to the OP... I made the trip this morning and it was very lucrative!

FYI, the prices listed at secondspin.com were 100% accurate in my case.

Do all FYEs accept trades? I know my local store has tons of used stuff but I haven't ever seen the brown bags out anywhere.

Also, how many discs is minimum for this? I've only got 3 DVDs and one or two games to trade in...

Some stores might have policy on what they will accept with trades. If stuff in the system only gives you like $0.25 or a penny...they might not accept it (happened today while I was waiting in line). Or, if the stuff you're trading in doesn't typically sell (this usually requires competent staff).

That's what happened to me today. I came in with a bunch of anime dvds and the clerk who took my transaction (I forgot him name, but he was an excellent, courteous, and over-all nice person to talk to and deal with) said that the store doesn't take anime dvds because they don't sell, but he'll let it slide this one time. At the end, I got my store-credit and I walked out a happy camper.

Oh, and since I asked for store-credit, I was able to get the full 45% trade in credit because it looked like the promotion was already setup in their system. I saw a $5 dvd get $7.25 automatically. That was cool.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to go tomorrow and see what's up :)

Anime doesn't sell? That's news to me! Seems like there's almost always someone over near the used anime section when I go.

BTW, I haven't read about this in the thread yet, but where are these brown bags if they're not out on the floor? Are they behind the register or would I have to ask a manager about it?
I really hope I don't have to ask the manager. He's always in a bad mood, has a really nasally voice, and everytime I walk by and he notices me, he tries to sell me stuff for 5-10 mins. Seroiusly. I asked another emplyee if they had a certain DVD and that employee got him and it was a 15 minute ordeal! :whistle2:/

I got my $107 in credit back due to the PS3 price drop today! All they needed was my store receipt, and the manager did a return/exchange. And, because I bought earlier, I got a free Blu-Ray from FYE plus a $50 rebate through FYE. Add to that the 5 free Blu-Ray promotion and the price drop, and I'm a happy camper! Thanks so much, OP!

$20 in store credit for 5 old crappy discs!

And, I managed to avoid idiot manager.
Best trip to FYE I've had in a while =D

think they'll reimburse me store credit for my crappy experience back in january? lol
Store manager told me only the promotion or store credit (either 20% or 25%), and all I got was the 20% for STORE CREDIT. I may still have the receipt lying around to verify...

[quote name='qpwoeiruty']Do all FYEs accept trades? I know my local store has tons of used stuff but I haven't ever seen the brown bags out anywhere.

Also, how many discs is minimum for this? I've only got 3 DVDs and one or two games to trade in...[/QUOTE]

Not every FYE accepts trades. Some don't because they are solely a movie/cd store. Others can't accept games due to local pawn shop laws. You should call before you go.

[quote name='majinvegeta-88']Does Starting Five for XBOX get the same as for PS2?[/quote]

Not able to check online. Only way to find out would be to visit/call a store.

Did anyone here try trading 2 enchanted arms for the 45% extra credit at the granite run mall in media, PA? I could call but they're closed..

This might have been answered, but I didn't see anything regarding it...but, if you trade stuff into secondspin (or wherehouse), can you use that credit in store or is it online only?

I just dealt with such a jerk FYE worker. The store closes at 9pm, i arrive at 8:10. I asked for the markup trade in on some lame ps2 titles i have at home. The clerk says they stop doing trade in's at 8pm! I asked, atleast what kind of value can i get for my games....he looked at the games, said theyre pretty scratched up and prob wont take any of them.

He did atleast offer a brown bag. Damn. I guess ill try again tomorrow after hitting up gamestop for NBA STARTING 5, and Enchanted arms.

^ Good luck.

I just realized that the PS3 i bought with my store credit was one of the "Limited Edition" ones with Talladega nights! Add this to the 5 free blu rays and I feel like a winner! :cool:

[quote name='punkyngo']I just dealt with such a jerk FYE worker. The store closes at 9pm, i arrive at 8:10. I asked for the markup trade in on some lame ps2 titles i have at home. The clerk says they stop doing trade in's at 8pm! I asked, atleast what kind of value can i get for my games....he looked at the games, said theyre pretty scratched up and prob wont take any of them.

He did atleast offer a brown bag. Damn. I guess ill try again tomorrow after hitting up gamestop for NBA STARTING 5, and Enchanted arms.[/quote]

This is one reason why FYE is both a blessing and a curse at once, since you get usually better value for trades than if you went to EB/GS, but if your games look like your cat used them as a replacement scratching post, be prepared to be shot down on trading them in.

Sometimes all it will take is one tiny surface scratch and they won't take them in, while other times they will. It does kind of depend on the person you get at the store you try to do the trade ins at.

So, in summary, if your games look like you used sandpaper to try and clean them, you're better off taking them to GS where it seems like most times they don't care. But, if you take care of your stuff and want better trade value than GS can offer, then FYE is for you.

The guy was about to turn me down for $1 on Space Channel 5 SE because of some smudge or scratch or something on the first disc, which is funny since I never even took out that disc (only ever played the 2nd one). Luckily, they were in a hurry and the girl told him it was good. He also gave a big WTF look when trying to figure out if a DS game is good or not. Must've been new *shrug*

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So, in summary, if your games look like you used sandpaper to try and clean them, you're better off taking them to GS where it seems like most times they don't care. But, if you take care of your stuff and want better trade value than GS can offer, then FYE is for you.[/quote]

Yep. That's also why I didn't hesitate to use my newly acquired store credit to pick up some used games... they look brand new. :)

[quote name='canedaddy']Yep. That's also why I didn't hesitate to use my newly acquired store credit to pick up some used games... they look brand new. :)[/quote]

Also why their selection is so limited and some FYEs are losing ther gaming sections in a big 30% off clerance sale.

BTW, asked a about 4 FYEs - none will sell me the HEAT w/ $50 gc unless I sign up for a 2 yr contract in store. So much for joining in on the flippage.

I just traded in about $340 worth of games and DVDs (the bonus ends up being 50% if you go for in-store credit). It's worth a look because they're giving more than you can get on eBay in many cases...

The other key to trading in good used items that have minor scratches is to take in a ton of stuff and put the best condition items on top. The cashiers do start to get weary and begin to only look that the item is complete. (Heck, my cashier stopped checking if all the discs were in my simpsons DVD sets after about the 4th season...).

[quote name='jgressley']I just traded in about $340 worth of games and DVDs (the bonus ends up being 50% if you go for in-store credit). It's worth a look because they're giving more than you can get on eBay in many cases...

The other key to trading in good used items that have minor scratches is to take in a ton of stuff and put the best condition items on top. The cashiers do start to get weary and begin to only look that the item is complete. (Heck, my cashier stopped checking if all the discs were in my simpsons DVD sets after about the 4th season...).[/quote]

damn what did you trade in?

Nice. Traded in Enchanted Arms and got $31.xx after buying it for $19.99+tax.
Found NBA Starting Five, but got shot down because it has a few minor scratches.:drool: Gonna take it to my friends video shop to polish it and buff it, hopefully then i can get $12.00+20% instead of returning it to ebgames for $1.99

This deal is great I've been taking advantage of the Big Lots anime, although scratch the Cowboy Bebop Best Sessions off it gets $2 now.

I also still had some Ape Escape 3 left over from the Kmart deal which are worth 10. I've got to go look for Psychonauts I think some of my stores have that.

Does anyone know of any other good flips?

I'm thinking of using my EB credit to flip Enchanted Arms to FYE credit. :)

[quote name='hurley7715']has anyone tried trading in used dvds they bought at blockbuster? wasnt sure if they would work..[/quote]

if it has the case, i'm sure they'd take it as long as the disc was pristine w/no scratches

be aware the secondspin prices on dvds/cds aren't the same in store. a couple of the dvds i traded in were listed as $5 on ss but rang up $3 in store.

[quote name='gotech']This deal is great I've been taking advantage of the Big Lots anime, although scratch the Cowboy Bebop Best Sessions off it gets $2 now.

I also still had some Ape Escape 3 left over from the Kmart deal which are worth 10. I've got to go look for Psychonauts I think some of my stores have that.

I'm thinking of using my EB credit to flip Enchanted Arms to FYE credit. :)[/quote]

Polarium will make you a few dollars, I believe it's $3 at K-Mart right now. I flipped the one I got at K-Mart's 30% off sale a couple weeks back (it was like, $2.10 or something) and I believe it got me around $7-ish at FYE w/bonus. Trades in for $5 normally. Animal Crossing trades in for $23-ish if you can find any $9 copies floating around at your K-Mart

Someone confirmed that Timesplitters doesn't get nearly as much as it used to. I saw that it still says a ton on Secondspin.

[quote name='gotech']This deal is great I've been taking advantage of the Big Lots anime, although scratch the Cowboy Bebop Best Sessions off it gets $2 now.

I'm thinking of using my EB credit to flip Enchanted Arms to FYE credit. :)[/QUOTE]

eBay those Psychonauts, or distribute them to friends. That game is too good to be flipped.

bread's done
Back