FYE - manually marking up prices at register?

mj1984

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So I went to an FYE in Cincinnati this weekend, and I found both Shin megami tensei: DDS 2 plus atelier iris 3 both new. DDS2 was marked as 49.99 and atelier iris 3 as 29.99. I figured they would both be cheaper than that for sure by now right? So I take them to the register to check out, theres this old douchebag-looking guy at the register. He tells me I would save xx on each one (cant remember) if I signed up for the backstage pass, I say no. Then he scans each one. There's no screen facing me so I can't see whats going on, but after he scans them he pushes some buttons and scans them again, and it seemed like he was manually entering the prices. I'm pretty sure he was marking up the prices. I ended up returning them later that day because I suspected what he was doing, and again when I returned them he had to push in a bunch of buttons after he scanned them.

So can anyone confirm this for me? Anybody know the prices they ring up as? I'm going to complain to corporate if I can confirm it. The item numbers for each are:
DDS2: 000000000000730865530120
AI3: 000000000000857823001192

Uhhhh, add the prices together. 50 and 30 is 80. Check your receipt: did you pay more than 80+tax?

I'm not sure I understand the issue.

Sorry, clarification: I think they actually rang up cheaper than the listed prices, but the guy manually entered the listed prices into the register.

I think that he thinks they were lower in the system but the guy bumped the prices back up to the sticker price. My question is: What does a run of the mill retail employee making Minimum wage gain by bumping the price up in the system?

[quote name='Sinnbox']I think that he thinks they were lower in the system but the guy bumped the prices back up to the sticker price. My question is: What does a run of the mill retail employee making Minimum wage gain by bumping the price up in the system?[/quote]

This is correct. I think he was a manager trying to earn revenue for his store. But I could be wrong.

I don't know with it being FYE and all. Stuff never drops in price. I was scanning stuff at the price checker machine and games close to 7 years old were almost full price, Waverace Blue Storm for example was $39.99, Shadow of Destiny $39.99 etc

^ True, My FYE still had PS1 stuff up untill they stopped carrying games this spring. I think that they keep all items at suggested retail.

They musta raised their prices again. Wave Race was ringing up as a penny during the whole HAvest Moon fiasco (where they shared the same upc or something).

I have similar suspicions as the OP. I've brought up games and things like original Xbox Live Starter Kits (with promo for the upcoming Crimson Skies for God's sake) that wasn't scanning in the system and the employees would do some typing and say it's full price.

I was in a FYE the other day when I bought an ipod classic armband that was listed as $9.99. The guy actually rang it up and told me it was on clearance for $5.99.

I dunno. It seems unlikely that they'd be bothered manually adjusting the price. It could happen, I guess.

Go in with someone else behind the register, bring up the games, and ask for a price check ("My buddy said these were clearance at his FYE, I just wanna know if they are here too.")

It could be they were scanning as the wrong item due to age, hence the manual price change. I dunno tho', it sounds kinda weird.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I don't know with it being FYE and all. Stuff never drops in price. I was scanning stuff at the price checker machine and games close to 7 years old were almost full price, Waverace Blue Storm for example was $39.99, Shadow of Destiny $39.99 etc[/quote]

This is probably more than likely what happened. Either way, isn't DDS2 worth like $150 sealed on Ebay? So what's the problem with paying $50 for it to flip it and make a bunch? Well, that is unless you intended on playing it.

But as Yoshi said, MANY things will still come up at FULL PRICE. Unlike some stores, FYE and the Transworld chains don't mark stuff down all that often.

EDIT(online prices for the games, should be same price IN STORES):

Atelier Iris 3(new on FYE site)-$29.99- http://www.fye.com/Atelier-Iris-3--...VproductId12282617VVcatId537867VVviewprod.htm

There's no listing on FYE.com for DDS2, but since AI 3 came up the price that you said it came up in store, one could assume that DDS2 would probably come up $50 in store.

Most manual price changes show up on receipts.

That said, i highly doubt he changed the prices, even a manager would have almost zero to gain by doing so, one persons sales (or loss of due to an issue like this) don't really mean much to a store). Don't be a douche about it, working retail is enough of a pain in the ass already. I know i'd be pissed if someone accused me of something like this.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This is probably more than likely what happened. Either way, isn't DDS2 worth like $150 sealed on Ebay? [/quote]Nope, you're thinking of the special edition of DDS1. DDS2 is a little hard to find but GameQuestDirect still sells it new for $50.

[quote name='JDN169']Most manual price changes show up on receipts.[/quote]

I don't know of any store where a manual price change is not listed on the recipt. Unless the recipt shows a change or it is listed as an open item (doesn't say the ID number or name of the game) then he didn't change them.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nope, you're thinking of the special edition of DDS1. DDS2 is a little hard to find but GameQuestDirect still sells it new for $50.[/quote]

I was wondering if I was off on that or not and I think I remember reading about the reprint of DDS2 from GQD, since I think it angered many CAGs who had the originals.

Either way though, as others have said, FYE keeps stuff at MSRP for a LOOOOOONG time usually.

My store still has Digital Devil Saga 2 at $52.99. If anything, he may have been marking the price DOWN.

I scan this one every once in awhile on the music kiosks to check the price (Fun tip: You can do this to check the prices on all products at fye.) and $52.99 was the price in the system too. I don't know if it's the universal price at all stores (I doubt....... the price on Xenosaga II, for example, varies widely from one fye to another.)

UPDATE: I decided to do a blog post on this topic: http://www.gamehoarders.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
About manual price changes, of course markups DO NOT show up on your receipt. Why would they tell you they charged you more after the fact? Markdowns will usually show because they want you to know that you got a discount.

On point though like everyone else has said, it's FYE and they charge too much for everything.

When there was the thread on here about FYE having Bioshock for $19.99 I went to my local FYE and had a similar experience. The clerk scanneed the game and said it was regular price, when I mentioned the chainwide sale, it was suddenly $19.99. Not sure what the story was, but it was weird.

[quote name='pulsar0510']When there was the thread on here about FYE having Bioshock for $19.99 I went to my local FYE and had a similar experience. The clerk scanneed the game and said it was regular price, when I mentioned the chainwide sale, it was suddenly $19.99. Not sure what the story was, but it was weird.[/quote]
That I dont know about, because when it was on sale, my store had sold out by the time I got there. But FYE seems to be notorious for crotchety looking people behind registers pushing register buttons, adjusting their reading glasses and five year-old games still at original msrp prices.

There are scanners in the store so you can check the prices before you go to the register. Also, in some states I think its illegal for stores to NOT have a screen facing the customer so they can see whats ringing up, you might want to check on this.

[quote name='Ziv']About manual price changes, of course markups DO NOT show up on your receipt. Why would they tell you they charged you more after the fact? Markdowns will usually show because they want you to know that you got a discount.

On point though like everyone else has said, it's FYE and they charge too much for everything.[/quote]

I work retail and they no doubt DO show up. If i were to mark something up from 20 to 30 it would say something to the effect of: $30, discount: (33.3%), the parenthesis indicating a negative discount AKA markup.

There are some truly paranoid people on this site. Retail doesn't care enough to be out to get you, trust me.

[quote name='Ziv']About manual price changes, of course markups DO NOT show up on your receipt. Why would they tell you they charged you more after the fact? Markdowns will usually show because they want you to know that you got a discount.

On point though like everyone else has said, it's FYE and they charge too much for everything.[/QUOTE]

Where I work, manual price changes of any kind do show on the reciept, but not in any easy-to-tell way. There's an asterisk next to the item on the reciept. That's all. No indication of what the price was before, and if you didn't know ahead of time, you might not even realize it meant anything. Manual discounts (different from a price change) show on a seperate line so you can see how much you got off- and more importantly, so the store can see how much and why you discounted an item- loss prevention, y'know.

[quote name='SaraAB']There are scanners in the store so you can check the prices before you go to the register.[/quote]The scanners never work for the games in the store I go to.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Where I work, manual price changes of any kind do show on the reciept, but not in any easy-to-tell way. There's an asterisk next to the item on the reciept. That's all. No indication of what the price was before, and if you didn't know ahead of time, you might not even realize it meant anything. Manual discounts (different from a price change) show on a seperate line so you can see how much you got off- and more importantly, so the store can see how much and why you discounted an item- loss prevention, y'know.[/quote]

Where I work manual changes only show on the customers screen/receipt if it's a markdown. Markups only show the higher price. The store journal tape shows the markup, but a customer doesn't see that.

I have gotten the scanners to work for games, however if a game is out of the system (I guess thats the term here) I suppose they can do anything they want to the price once you get it to the register. I don't shop at FYE a lot so I am not sure what the register screens are showing for an OOS game. If its out of the system it will just show "price not found" on the scanner or something close to that. I have even tried scanning both the FYE barcode and the regular barcode and the same thing happens on some games.

bread's done
Back