Game Crazy MVP members B2G1 on USED 7/23 - 7/26

SO I Went to gamecrazy today and as I was looking at games, someone walks in with Resident Evil 5, Mercenaries 2, Bad Company, Bioshock, Lost Planet, Madden 09, Splinter Cell Double Agent, & Pirates of the Carribean + he wanted cash for them, it was something like 48$ in credit or 35$ in cash, I hand the dude 40$ and walk out with 8 games. Awesome!

I think I'm going to trade in res evil and madden 09 and get things I really want. Great start so far!

[quote name='Moco64']SO I Went to gamecrazy today and as I was looking at games, someone walks in with Resident Evil 5, Mercenaries 2, Bad Company, Bioshock, Lost Planet, Madden 09, Splinter Cell Double Agent, & Pirates of the Carribean + he wanted cash for them, it was something like 48$ in credit or 35$ in cash, I hand the dude 40$ and walk out with 8 games. Awesome!

I think I'm going to trade in res evil and madden 09 and get things I really want. Great start so far![/QUOTE]

Trade them in at GS with some older crap to get the bonus 40% for trading in six games.

But I also had a beef with Gamecrazy's return policy, or at least what I was told by the employee. There is no return period on games bought used except if its defective. I like Gamestop mainly for the fact that I have 7 days to do whatever I want, whether I want to keep it or ditch it. It gives me options. So if that employee was just flat out lying to me, please let me know what the actual policy is at Gamecrazy on used games, cause thats a pretty big sell point for me personally.

I have not read further, so this could have been answered, but Policy on game returns is DEFECTIVE ONLY.

The reason why is because unlike gamestop, Gamecrazy lets you "try before you buy"

Letting you have the game for free for 7 days essentially would basically be giving a free rental to you. Most GameCrazy's are attached to Hollywood videos, thus you can actually rent the game before buying it, or if it's not mature you can play it in one of the systems and see if you like it before buying.

[quote name='Xfactor4']

I will check out my local stores during this B2G1 sale even if they won't stack my mvp(which is LAME by the way) since MVP's who pay for the membership should get a 10% better price on their purchase than standard non mvp customers who won't pony up for membership ! I doubt I will find much selection as usual though. :cool:
[/quote]
This deal is only for MVP members, so MVP members are getting a better deal than the general public because of that fact! Though I agree MVP should stack with it much like GS does. I think that's something they will eventually come around on, but the company is slow.

Having said that, I do like the fact that GameCrazy & Hollywood Video have the disc polishing service that will only cost you $1.00 a disc if purchased in a 5 pack card.
Now with MVP (10 bucks) you get a year of free disc buffs. This was a great policy change

[quote name='grrouchie']I have not read further, so this could have been answered, but Policy on game returns is DEFECTIVE ONLY.

The reason why is because unlike gamestop, Gamecrazy lets you "try before you buy"

Letting you have the game for free for 7 days essentially would basically be giving a free rental to you. Most GameCrazy's are attached to Hollywood videos, thus you can actually rent the game before buying it, or if it's not mature you can play it in one of the systems and see if you like it before buying.[/QUOTE]

I rather not reply to this post. You should just read all of the posts and see where the conversations were going.

Scorch can break apart quotes since Scorch actually READS all of the threads and responds with a complete argument and not just bits of pieces of what they read and what they feel like responding to without having to read the whole posts.

[quote name='Scorch']You know, I almost respected you as a poster, then you went "end rant" and continued ranting. [/QUOTE]

Well, it was pretty much clearly the end of my rant but I made the last comment as an after thought "edit" and did not move my "end rant" comment. My mistake.

In any event, I think anyone that has taken the time to read all the posts completely knows where everyone stands.

As for you "almost" respecting me as a poster, hey I guess that is your choice. I have much respect from many CAGS and from others, not so much. Oh well. Nonetheless, I try and contribute to CAG as much as possible and try to always be respectful in my posting, even when discussing divisive subject matter or topics that CAGS with strong opinions bicker over. I refuse to use profanity or personal character insults or other juvenile and childish insults, language or behavior and instead try and back up my opinions with available facts as well.

I'm done.

Hopefully some CAGS with MVP can still manage to find some good B2G1 pickups during this sale.:D

[quote name='grrouchie']This deal is only for MVP members, so MVP members are getting a better deal than the general public because of that fact! Though I agree MVP should stack with it much like GS does. I think that's something they will eventually come around on, but the company is slow.

Now with MVP (10 bucks) you get a year of free disc buffs. This was a great policy change[/QUOTE]

Just wondering, but when was this policy shift. I was thinking off getting the MVP just for the disk buffing but at the time all I would receive was 5 disk buffs. Kinda made it not worth it for me.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Just wondering, but when was this policy shift. I was thinking off getting the MVP just for the disk buffing but at the time all I would receive was 5 disk buffs. Kinda made it not worth it for me.[/QUOTE]

I can also attest to this. I just renewed my yearly MVP membership three days ago and all they gave me was a card with 5 disc buffs.:roll:

[quote name='Scorch']My gripe with returns on used, and I see it time and time and time and time and time again, is that the person will take it home, . . . just flat out not like it, and want to return it. I don't get it. You don't try to return an open DVD to Wal-Mart (though I'm sure some of the little wannabe frauders on this site have tried). The consumer is expecting way too much.

I get that you're buying a shitty game and you want to return it. I'm sorry, you should have researched it. It's different if you're rich and can afford the hit, but in this economy, most people are hurting, companies included. Don't give me that "not every game can be researched".. it's the internet. Everything's on here. If IGN hasn't covered it, someone else has.

I'm sorry if this is a little rude, but this is the retail experience in me speaking, and it's just pissing me off that it's becoming an every day thing.. "oh, he didn't like this game, we just want to get our money back." Your kid should've read up on it instead of buying this copy of Secret Service on XBox 360 instead of blind buying it because the guy on the cover had a gun.

Thanks for proving my exact point in a rant trying to counter my point.[/QUOTE]

You miss the point of a return policy. It exists because someone may flat out not like their purchase and want to return it. There is no other legitimate reason for a return. Defective items, you exchange. Items you don't like for whatever reason, you return. It isn't "unreasonable" to expect such a policy, in fact it is prevalent in most retail that does not involve entertainment products, and I am old enough to remember when quite a few places allowed returns on software.

As far as your research rant, sure, I could spend hours researching the game but oddly enough it isn't something that I want to do in most cases. First off, none of the reviewers are me. I can guess that I might like something if a particular reviewer has exhibited a taste similar to mine on a consistent basis or if the description of the game in reviews sounds good. I won't know until I play it. Second, there are so many hours in the day and most people who pay for games with their own, not mommy and daddy's money can think of other, required or more useful, things to do with their time than surf the net for game reviews.

The return policy is one of the reasons I have relatively few qualms purchasing a used game from Gamestop at a price pretty close to retail. That covers the jackasses who "rent" games via the return/exchange policy.
The fact that most consumers seem to agree with me is evident by the relative market penetration of Gamestop and Gamecrazy. While GC may pass on some of the savings resulting from their return policy to the consumer in the form of slightly lower prices, it simply isn't worth it to me. I'd much rather pay a few bucks extra and know that I can bring back my purchase and not have issues with the return.

Though I enjoy the GS policy more, GC's policy makes more sense from a business perspective. All the proponents of the GS policy are neglecting the "try before you buy" aspect of GC. This evens them out from the customer standpoint and is beneficial to GC on the business side.

That said, I prefer GS by leaps and bounds; my GC has little to no used inventory and what they do have is nothing but stuff GS wouldn't take in due to its condition.

When you guys say MVP doesn't stack, what does that mean? Does it mean that I can't get games at MVP price and get the free one? Because for some reason I didn't get the mvp price on the games I bought. On the receipt it says I would have saved 3.30 if I was an MVP member, yet I am AND I traded in madden 09 and got the MVP value ($4.40)

EDIT: Also, picked up Mirrors Edge, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Project Gotham 4 for 30$ after a 4.40$ trade in

[quote name='Moco64']When you guys say MVP doesn't stack, what does that mean? Does it mean that I can't get games at MVP price and get the free one? Because for some reason I didn't get the mvp price on the games I bought. On the receipt it says I would have saved 3.30 if I was an MVP member, yet I am AND I traded in madden 09 and got the MVP value ($4.40)

EDIT: Also, picked up Mirrors Edge, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Project Gotham 4 for 30$ after a 4.40$ trade in[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='grrouchie']

Now with MVP (10 bucks) you get a year of free disc buffs. This was a great policy change[/QUOTE]

I need proof of this bc im tired of hv and gc trying to charge me 2$ a pop for 5 buffs instead of 5 for 5

[quote name='jcizzla']I need proof of this bc im tired of hv and gc trying to charge me 2$ a pop for 5 buffs instead of 5 for 5[/QUOTE]

Their website just says "Free Disc Buffs." This would lead me to believe it's a year, but I could see them making it the five free ones.

So essentially my post didn't help at all.

Ok here's my opinion after doing flips and buying games. GC saves you a whole bunch in different ways if you are knowledgeable with the system. This has been from my experience.

First off GC is cheaper on a regular day basis. Used new games are usually 49.99 at GC vs. 54.99 at GS (before the 10% off) So that previous post of the person saying GC is not cheaper in wrong in this situation.

It does suck that GC does not stack MVP on promotions; however, the other day after trading in some games (using the trade in price match of 50% extra from GS) the employee let me know that they were price matching trade in promos B2G1 from GS and also let me stack the MVP since GS was doing that. So I got Ghostbusters, Killzone 2, & UFC 2009 for about $10 less than the games I bought at GS FNR4, Wii Active, & Infamous during the B2G1.

If you do trade in promo match, make sure you bring a GS phone number and an AD of any offers. It will save you time. Some employees aren't dics and get the number for you. I believe that is not policy though and they do not have to. Some places may not do it (not sure if it's because one particular store just opened but the majority did) so call around, do some work!

Also GC does price match trade in values at all stores if you're anal about a couple of dollars or if you're doing a huge trade. Some TIV's are more at GC such as singstar vol 2 bundle I got $29 for after matching GS's 50% trade promotion.

Your experience will always depend on the employee. It may sound like I am defending GC, but this is only what I've encountered so far after spending time doing my HW.

I do have one complaint against one employee that charged me a game guard fee after I said "no i do not need it"!!! I'm a fair person so I felt bad having to argue with another employee to get my money back which they never did; however they offered me an additional 10% on a used game on top of the MVP. It was only $3, but it was the principle that got to me after saying NO and later finding out after driving home and reading about a similar experience that happen to a CAG member!!

Everything always depends on the employee you get a hold of. Also keep in mind every place is a business, unfortunately their revenue is their bottom line. So if you get an A$$hole manager that catches any suspicious activity, just remember they're doing their job. I would actually want that manager working for me if I owned my own business. Just be smart about it, walk away, go to another store or find another option.

I forgot to add that when the employee let me do the B2G1 at GC he said everything is up the the District Manager!! So some matching may be OK while other will not be!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hobbie8046']Their website just says "Free Disc Buffs." This would lead me to believe it's a year, but I could see them making it the five free ones.

So essentially my post didn't help at all.[/QUOTE]

You super tease

[quote name='jcizzla']I need proof of this bc im tired of hv and gc trying to charge me 2$ a pop for 5 buffs instead of 5 for 5[/QUOTE]

That sounds like more of a choice you make rather than them. If you bring me a disk to buff, it's $2. I will usually try to upsell the $5 card, or even an MVP, but if it's busy or whatever the price is $2. If you (apparently) are already aware of the $5 card, than you need just ask for it specifically. I'm sure whoever you work with will be more than happy to upsell it to a $5 card rather than do a $2 transaction.

Also, in relation to some of the "GC stuck me with a GameGuard I didn't want" comments (in this thread and others) I would like to point out that while this is of course an aweful attempt by the employee to pad his numbers, it should certainly end soon. Starting this week GC employees no longer get tracked on selling GameGuards, so the need to cheat is gone. And also, this is an employee by employee occurence, and should not be reflected on the company as a whole.

Finally one last point, in relation to GC not having used stock. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We can't make used stock. You have to bring it to us. If you won't trade your games at GC, we can't sell them used. GC does match any trade price, PLUS 5% to gauruntee the highest trade. So you are never getting a better deal at GS for trade. Period.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Just wondering, but when was this policy shift. I was thinking off getting the MVP just for the disk buffing but at the time all I would receive was 5 disk buffs. Kinda made it not worth it for me.[/QUOTE]

The whole "free disk buffing policy" varies from store to store, it's really at the manager's discretion. A lot of stores in my district like to cater to MVP customers and will offer free disk buffing. Some stores will only let you have five. It just depends. The policy's official stance, though, is five free disc buffs.

Starting this week GC employees no longer get tracked on selling GameGuards, so the need to cheat is gone. And also, this is an employee by employee occurence, and should not be reflected on the company as a whole.

I found this out late last week and was fairly excited, but I didn't post because I didn't think it was supposed to be public knowledge yet, but I did see that they uploaded the memo on the intranet. It's true, GameGuards no longer effect an employee's numbers. Neither do service contracts. Agreed on the employee by employee situation. I've seen employees tack on GG's for numbers.. and I've also seen them get fired for it.

Finally one last point, in relation to GC not having used stock. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We can't make used stock. You have to bring it to us. If you won't trade your games at GC, we can't sell them used. GC does match any trade price, PLUS 5% to gauruntee the highest trade. So you are never getting a better deal at GS for trade. Period.

The thing is, though, we can't match the tiered trade offer. We can tradematch base credit, but not the tiered trade. And GC could certainly help out the situation regarding used stock.. A lot of the TiV's are pretty crappy when compared to GS, so I actually encourage people to go to GS, get their value, then come right back to me so I can cut them a better deal. They enjoy doing it, too. But I agree. When GS is not running the tiered trade, there's no reason to shop at GS. Go to GC and get your trades matched.

[quote name='GameCrazy_Joe']That sounds like more of a choice you make rather than them. If you bring me a disk to buff, it's $2. I will usually try to upsell the $5 card, or even an MVP, but if it's busy or whatever the price is $2. If you (apparently) are already aware of the $5 card, than you need just ask for it specifically. I'm sure whoever you work with will be more than happy to upsell it to a $5 card rather than do a $2 transaction.
QUOTE]

Ive asked for the 5$ card but 'we arent supposed to do those anymore its a flat rate 2$' maybe when he saw my armfull of about 20 games he got wise. i seriously hate gc except for a handfull of employees. they reallly need online inventory like gamestop

[quote name='intoxicates']First off GC is cheaper on a regular day basis. Used new games are usually 49.99 at GC vs. 54.99 at GS (before the 10% off) So that previous post of the person saying GC is not cheaper in wrong in this situation. [/QUOTE]

You didn't even read my post did you? I was talking purely containing to the topic of this thread, which is the B2G1. So when talking about B2G1s and MVP stacking, GS with Edge and GC w/o MVP stacking (which is what is happening during this sale) are equal in price for new used games. That is all I was saying; nothing more, nothing less.

[quote name='momouchi']You didn't even read my post did you? I was talking purely containing to the topic of this thread, which is the B2G1. So when talking about B2G1s and MVP stacking, GS with Edge and GC w/o MVP stacking (which is what is happening during this sale) are equal in price for new used games. That is all I was saying; nothing more, nothing less.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you on that point and I did read your first post that was not too specific; however, to get your point I read your other posts. The point I was making is that on an everyday basis, for people that are impatient and want a game right away, the majority of Everyday prices at GC is cheapter than GS. Everyday trades are better as pointed out as well since they match TIV's at GC which GS doesn't.

There is no comparison to GS's promotions. GC needs to work on that and on their image as well. It's good news that they took out that number system for the game guard because I feel that they hurt their image through employees adding on additional charges without the customers permission. This is especially crucial during our situation with the economy (more people will notice and get pissed off!).

Getting back to the thread topic. Both GC and GS prices are similar during these B2G1 offers so it's the customers preference where they want to go.

as for the free buffs, I can say its true. I had the p90x dvds and my nephews got a hold of them, total FUBAR..... 12 dvds buffed.... at no cost

So i walk into gc today and notice 2 skanks manning the counter so i think to myself, well even if they are incompetent they are at least nice to look at. So i ask the girl for a 5 for 5 card and she says, it doesnt work that way in a sort of innocent tone of voice. I told her I was pretty sure its in her system so she looked it up and found it. Good deal.

Then especially ranky skank comes over and basically tells the girl off for not charging me 2$ a buff saying the 5 for 5 card isnt supposed to be used anymore. I interjected that every other gc in the world has these cards and you get them for signing up as an mvp. she asked me if i was an mvp and i said no (i am) and she said then theres no way i should have got that deal but the transaction was done so whatever. She takes my disks and sort of storms off into the corner.

So as shes doing it, these two pathetic 30 year old uber nerds walk into the store and start chatting her up about some random xbox hard drive thing. It was hilarious seeing these balding dudes in emo video game shirts going on and on about xbox hard drives and the girl was like listening to them and responding to their retarded questions like, ‘whats the difference between a 60 and 120 gig hard drive.’ I couldn’t help it so I literally lol’d pretty loud and everyone looked right at me.

Eventually rank skank gave me my disks and sort gave me a look. Lol whats the customer service hotline?

[quote name='Xfactor4']I can also attest to this. I just renewed my yearly MVP membership three days ago and all they gave me was a card with 5 disc buffs.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Yep, just got my first MVP membership last month and only got the card you got.

I went to pick up 3 Wii games... Zelda TP, Mario Galaxy, and Super Paper Mario.

I found Zelda TP but it was disc only so I don't pick it up.
I found Mario Galaxy but it was $40 (same price as GS) so I don't pick it up?
I found Super Paper Mario but it was disc only (in a slimline case) so I don't pick it up.

I stopped and wondered why I even bother coming to GC for their sales.

I left.

Enchanted Arms, Splinter Cell Double Agent, PGR4 all for 360 for about $22. Some old games but a good way to beef up the collection.

[quote name='momouchi']You didn't even read my post did you? I was talking purely containing to the topic of this thread, which is the B2G1. So when talking about B2G1s and MVP stacking, GS with Edge and GC w/o MVP stacking (which is what is happening during this sale) are equal in price for new used games. That is all I was saying; nothing more, nothing less.[/QUOTE]

Actually a GS B2G1 sale is lower priced, at least on "new" used games. Even if the games at GC are priced at $49.99 per game compared to $54.99 per game.

GS: B2 @ $54.99 each and G1 @ 54.99 each - 10% Edge card = $98.98 (not including sales tax).

GC: B2 @ $49.99 each and G1 @ $49.99 each = $99.98 (not including sales tax).

And the Edge card stacks with all deals, while the MVP doesn't. And GS runs B2G1 more often. Of course if you buy games outside of deals the MVP card is better (IF the GC price for a game is cheaper, if it isn't then it's a wash). But outside of finding a rare game, why would anyone buy games outside of the deals?

bread's done
Back