Game Informer: Multiple Sources confirm new HD console at E3 for Nintendo

[quote name='Corvin']There were also rumors that a Luigi's Mansion sequel was in the works a couple years back. WaveRace was another no-show this gen, which could make a return. Although, with those two you would be looking at a repeat of the GCN launch. lol

If this is really geared towards the hardcore crowd, I think F-Zero is a high possibility.[/QUOTE]

Wave Race and F-Zero, while aimed at the hardcore, won't move systems.

[quote name='omster']I have wondered about this too. Maybe they want to use it later to promote Pikmin 3?[/QUOTE]

I would be surprised if we even saw a Pikmin 3 here. While the games were fun, they petty much tanked here for being too weird and because of their unusual gameplay elements. US audiences are strange, sometimes games that are way out there end up being successful (Katamari Damacy) but a lot of times they don't (Pikmin).

Pikmin 1 + 2 did alright, they didn't bomb by no means, but I don't see it pushing systems out the door either. I can see it coming here and selling well, but not a system seller by no stretch.

[quote name='M-PG71C']Pikmin 1 + 2 did alright, they didn't bomb by no means, but I don't see it pushing systems out the door either. I can see it coming here and selling well, but not a system seller by no stretch.[/QUOTE]

Pikmin 1 did all right because it was (pretty much) a Gamecube launch title, but most people I know at least expressed remorse over purchasing it due to it's usual (and not necessarily in a fun way) gameplay. Pikmin 2 was pretty much a bomb though, it came out without much fanfare, and was quickly forgotten about.

@ Spmahn

I know VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they typically get things fairly close. Sometimes. I'll use them for a "its enough" sample. Pikmin 2 sold about 360K in the U.S. The original Pikmin sold about 800K, but as you said, launch title. Enough said.

That was during the GameCube days too, and the tail end of them to boot. That's not bad for an obscure game. I wouldn't call it a "bomb". Not a success either, but certainly not a bomb. There are JRPGs that would absolutely kill for that number of sales.

Looking at trends, I can see Pikmin 3 coming Stateside. I don't believe NOA should be looking at to sell "gangbusters" to mainstream, but if it can maintain numbers similar to Pikmin 2 or better, that's enough in a lot of ways. Of course, I have little faith in NOA in general so this may be a moot point. :/

If it is a launch title though...it certainly a better pick than Steel Diver was. :D

[quote name='M-PG71C']@ Spmahn

I know VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they typically get things fairly close. Sometimes. I'll use them for a "its enough" sample. Pikmin 2 sold about 360K in the U.S. The original Pikmin sold about 800K, but as you said, launch title. Enough said.

That was during the GameCube days too, and the tail end of them to boot. That's not bad for an obscure game. I wouldn't call it a "bomb". Not a success either, but certainly not a bomb. There are JRPGs that would absolutely kill for that number of sales.

Looking at trends, I can see Pikmin 3 coming Stateside. I don't believe NOA should be looking at to sell "gangbusters" to mainstream, but if it can maintain numbers similar to Pikmin 2 or better, that's enough in a lot of ways. Of course, I have little faith in NOA in general so this may be a moot point. :/

If it is a launch title though...it certainly a better pick than Steel Diver was. :D[/QUOTE]

I have Pikmin 1 selling even less than that, closer to 680k in the US, but I digress. I can just see Nintendo doing with Pikmin what they more or less did with Fire Emblem, where people bitched and bitched and bitched about them not getting localized, and then when they finally did, no one actually bought any of them, so they're probably going to stop localizing them again.

nintendojps77.jpg

Got this pic from Gaf and it's a rumor controller for Project Cafe.

Here is the banner for Project Cafe from the Wario World site

EpbJ8.jpg

[quote name='jbug617']
nintendojps77.jpg

EpbJ8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I hope that's real. That design looks fantastic.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I hope that's real. That design looks fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Maybe for a portable, but for something that I have potential for playing for hours? No. We've had 25 years of ergonomic progression from Nintendo, this would be a huge step backward.

It does look pretty terrible to game with for long sessions. Of all the mockups so far I like the Kotaku-sponsored images. Can't find them at the moment but they had a blue hue and looked like tablets with gamecube controller halves.

I still prefer the cube controller's feel to all other Nintendo controllers although the Virtual Boy comes pretty damn close.

So instead of console controls, I get handheld controls, and instead of X number handhelds I can use anywhere, I get X handhelds that are tethered to one location?

bloodsport.gif

[quote name='dothog']So instead of console controls, I get handheld controls, and instead of X number handhelds I can use anywhere, I get X handhelds that are tethered to one location?
[/QUOTE]

You think they are going back to the Famicon style wired controllers?

Classic baby!

[quote name='jbug617']
nintendojps77.jpg

EpbJ8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Man, you guys will masturbate to any bullshit as long as it has titties...

The Latest "Rumor:"
http://loading.se/news.php?pub_id=15144

Here's the skinny:
- It'll be called the Nintendo Feel
- The screen is a Haptic Touchscreen, which basically means it can convey the difference between textures, like something that's soft or hard.

I don't know how I feel about that. Seems like it'd make it more expensive. Probably fake, but who knows.

Fake. Not officially a fake, but really. The "Feel"? Then again, who thought they were going to call the current console the Wii? :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Fake. Not officially a fake, but really. The "Feel"? Then again, who thought they were going to call the current console the Wii? :)[/QUOTE]

I think I understand Nintendo's motive. Calling it the feel can be used as an ad campaign. You can play games on the feel's controller when you feel the need to shit :lol:.

[quote name='io']"25 GB optical discs"? So some sort of proprietary format again? Interesting...[/QUOTE]Single-layer Blu-Ray disc is 25GB. Doesn't need to be proprietary at that disc size.

[quote name='shrike4242']Single-layer Blu-Ray disc is 25GB. Doesn't need to be proprietary at that disc size.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's fine - but if that is what it is, why didn't they just say Blu-Ray? I know it is all rumors at this point, but it sure sounded like something different. I guess maybe they don't want to (or can't) say Blu-Ray if it won't also play movies, even if it uses the format for game storage.

[quote name='io']Well, that's fine - but if that is what it is, why didn't they just say Blu-Ray? I know it is all rumors at this point, but it sure sounded like something different. I guess maybe they don't want to (or can't) say Blu-Ray if it won't also play movies, even if it uses the format for game storage.[/QUOTE]Assuming the CPU & GPU power is there, BD movie playback isn't an issue for the system. It's the licensing fees that come into play, and if they're going to use a SL BD-ROM disc for the Wii^2, I think they already have to pay it if they're going to use the media.

I'm more worried about the entire 8GB of internal storage thing. That's not that much room at all if they're trying to build an online store that competes with Sony's or Microsoft's. I had enough issues with my 360's 20GB drive.

Yeah, 8gb of Flash Memory is ridiculous. Unless there's a port for your own HDD like Sony did. But then again, it IS Nintendo we're talking about.

[quote name='shrike4242']Assuming the CPU & GPU power is there, BD movie playback isn't an issue for the system. It's the licensing fees that come into play, and if they're going to use a SL BD-ROM disc for the Wii^2, I think they already have to pay it if they're going to use the media.[/QUOTE]

I figured it was a licensing thing. I mean, I don't care one whit if it actually plays blu-rays, though that would be slightly more useful than the Wii playing DVDs. I never understood why that was an issue with $30 DVD players in existance, but there you go.

As for the 8GB, I don't actually see that as too bad a thing. I mean, most of the stuff I fill my 120GB 360 HD and my 150 GB (?) PS3 hard drive with is useless junk anyway. Certainly I don't need all the game installs, demos, and videos I have on there.

While using a HD seems the be the way to go these days, you can also point to the iPhone/iPad and some of the netbook computers as starting to go away from that trend. I think flash memory will start to be cheap enough to take over for smaller sized HDs. Having said that, 8GB is just a bit smaller than I'd like. They ought to go with 16GB for starters. But in either case, it looks like it will allow SD card expansion so it really isn't a big deal either way. I'm all for the move away from HDs, though, as long as flash memory capacity continues to increase.

Also, let's not forget that the current Xbox 360 system comes with just 4GB of storage in its base configuration. If Nintendo can deliver on most of the rumored features while keeping the price at $350 or less by leaving off a HD then I have no problem with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']

Also, let's not forget that the current Xbox 360 system comes with just 4GB of storage in its base configuration. If Nintendo can deliver on most of the rumored features while keeping the price at $350 or less by leaving off a HD then I have no problem with that.[/QUOTE]

It's fine for casual gamers. Not for pretty much everyone who posts on this board. And decent-sized HDs don't cost SHIT to put in. That's just what MS wants you to think. The small memory was fine for Nintendo for the Wii since their DLC was almost all old games, but if they really want to jump in with the big boys, a bigger HD is needed. Something tells me they don't want to do that if they're only putting in 8GB of storage.

HDD-based storage in a 2.5" form factor isn't expensive when it's not a SSD. 320GB or 500GB 7200rpm HDDs are in the $70 and under category, so adding that much storage isn't an issue.

Even 64GB of flash storage as USB flash drives are $80 or so ($40 x 2 32GB drives), so even adding in 64GB of flash doesn't sound like a huge expense, even in quantity.

8GB of storage would be unbelievably stupid. They could easily and inexpensively put at least 32GB in there, if they want to stick with flash. Christ, at least 16GB. Having that and support for some kind of external drive (hopefully not proprietary) would solve any storage problems.

It's so fucking easy.

Nintendo: Only otaku will need more than 8 GB

That excuse sort of worked for the Wii why not try again.

The only thing you need more storage for is if you're going to use it for performance reasons for games. Apparently they're not.

At that point my concern just becomes...how loud will the drive be? The Xbox's drive is completely unacceptable. The Playstation's drive is basically inaudible....but presumably also more expensive (even aside from supporting Blu Ray).

Worried about that, and also if the controller is going to need proprietary batteries. If it's wireless, I want it to support normal AAs or whatever!

[quote name='Wolfpup']The only thing you need more storage for is if you're going to use it for performance reasons for games. Apparently they're not.[/QUOTE]

DLC and Patches could each cause a single player game to easily use up a gig. Or, in some game's cases, well over half of the 8GB Cafe might have. Mass Effect 2's dlc could easily add up to 4GB.

Downloadable titles themselves could also eat up quite a bit of space. While most of my PS3 dl titles are around 200-300 MB, I do have a few that are over 1 GB.

With only 8 GB, storage will quickly become a game itself...

I hope its 8 gigs only with no real hard drive support, so that nintendo followers can tell us why 8 gig is plenty when we have 250-500 gig hard drives in our hd consoles already. I welcome it.

[quote name='Salamando3000']DLC and Patches could each cause a single player game to easily use up a gig. Or, in some game's cases, well over half of the 8GB Cafe might have. Mass Effect 2's dlc could easily add up to 4GB.

Downloadable titles themselves could also eat up quite a bit of space. While most of my PS3 dl titles are around 200-300 MB, I do have a few that are over 1 GB.

With only 8 GB, storage will quickly become a game itself...[/QUOTE]

Yes, but all of those things are bad. I don't want patches, I want finished games. I don't want activation laden downloads, I want real games I own. DLC? Release expansion packs instead.

[quote name='io'] why didn't they just say Blu-Ray?[/QUOTE]

Simply because this is Nintendo. Blu-ray still hasn't hit that DVD saturation point. A second system with BD would be a welcome addition, IMO, for a couple reasons. Failure, for one, is a big issue. You aren't out a BD player while your other system is down. Two, it would be great to have in a different room as some migrate systems around the house as they become outdated. i.e. main tv has the PS3 right now, but it would be nice to move that to another room at some point for the BD playback.

[quote name='shrike4242']
Even 64GB of flash storage as USB flash drives are $80 or so ($40 x 2 32GB drives), so even adding in 64GB of flash doesn't sound like a huge expense, even in quantity.[/QUOTE]

Also factor in that we are 18 months out from release. These things will be even cheaper this time next year when it comes time to manufacture them.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
At that point my concern just becomes...how loud will the drive be? The Xbox's drive is completely unacceptable. The Playstation's drive is basically inaudible....but presumably also more expensive (even aside from supporting Blu Ray).
![/QUOTE]

The 360 slim is virtually silent. My 60GB PS3 sounds like a jet engine taking off after about 10 minutes of use... well it did, for 3 years until it died last month.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yes, but all of those things are bad. I don't want patches, I want finished games. I don't want activation laden downloads, I want real games I own. DLC? Release expansion packs instead.[/QUOTE]

:lol: None of those things are bad. Some of us prefer not to game in the stone age.

- Patches: like it or not, the days of releasing a finished product are over. Personally I like that companies can fix a glitch or whatnot that hinders gameplay ESPECIALLY if it is in multiplayer. Sure there are companies that take advantage and ship a broken product, but I still like to believe the majority do what's right.
- Activation laden downloads - not even sure what you mean on that one
- DLC - DLC is here to stay. It's less intensive on the design end and far more profitable than a retail release. Don't like DLC, speak with your wallet. Not to mention DLC is far more eco friendly than say, releasing 2 Borderlands expansions, on disc with complete packaging.

- if Nintendo is honestly trying to compete with MS & Sony with third party support that means there needs to be storage for map packs. They are HUGE business and some clock in at 1GB a piece. Numbers aren't out yet, but look for yesterday's Black Ops map pack to hit 7 million downloads in the first week.
- also as mentioned, Arcade games clock in pretty heavy these days and there are 1-2 released every week (devs will want to port these over as well to maximize profit potential).
- demos clock in at 1-2GB today. I'm sure it will be larger next gen. Games get bigger, not smaller.

8GB internal storage is a joke. That was standard in 2001 with the original xbox BEFORE there was a Live marketplace. Hell my 2 year old 3GS iPhone has 8GB. Either the rumor is false, or they are planning some kind of external storage device or SD support again.

[quote name='Corvin']

:lol: None of those things are bad. Some of us prefer not to game in the stone age.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't have patches on my Atari 2600, and dagnabbit, I don't want patches on my wii2!

[quote name='shrike4242']HDD-based storage in a 2.5" form factor isn't expensive when it's not a SSD. 320GB or 500GB 7200rpm HDDs are in the $70 and under category, so adding that much storage isn't an issue.

Even 64GB of flash storage as USB flash drives are $80 or so ($40 x 2 32GB drives), so even adding in 64GB of flash doesn't sound like a huge expense, even in quantity.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that is exactly my point. $70 is big expense if they are trying to price this thing at $300-$400. This is Nintendo after all - they aren't going to take a loss or even just break even. They won't include something that while most of us on CAG feel like we need, but most gamers (of the casual and not so casual variety) don't need. Even everyone's favorite console (at least here on CAG), the 360, comes in a base 4GB configuration. There is a reason for that, after all...

I still hold to the belief that HD-based storage is on the way out. Granted, 8GB is not nearly enough, but I think long-term HD's won't be the solution either. I agree with Wolfpup on the noise issue - though it is much less of a problem on the newer 360's. Still, I see Nintendo going for the whisper quiet, sleek form factor of an Apple device more than trying to match the behemoth 360/PS3.

[quote name='Salamando3000']DLC and Patches could each cause a single player game to easily use up a gig. Or, in some game's cases, well over half of the 8GB Cafe might have. Mass Effect 2's dlc could easily add up to 4GB.

With only 8 GB, storage will quickly become a game itself...[/QUOTE]

I think Nintendo is much less reliant on patches than other devs, and I much appreciate that. Now, in order to court more third-party support it is an issue.

However, this thing will almost surely have an SD card slot. So you aren't limited to 8GB. Those that need it can add a 32 GB card, and probably larger ones in the future. Assuming you don't want to use this thing for downloading lots of media (and I don't) then 40GB should be plenty.

It isn't ideal but I see this as a compromise on Nintendo's part to keep the price reasonable. Down the road when people need more space, larger SD cards should be cheaper. And 95% of Wii2 users probably will never need to upgrade the original 8GB. Now, we'll see if the price is, in fact, reasonable. If they price it at $300-$350 then I can live with the smaller initial storage. If it is $400 or over, then I expect more out of the box.

bread's done
Back