Game of the Decade?

starcraft was great but pretty sure that was a 99 game...

snake eater was great but the game I played over and over was disgaea. While prob not the best game of the last decade i put hundreds of hours into it.

fallout 3 was a great suprise and my only platinum. Finishing up the bonus missions as I type.

I love games and movies where its wonderful and nothing I expected. Children of men was such a movie as well as I am legend. I was like mad max post apocolyptic type show but they were only shaodws of that at best. They were both wonderfully unexpected.

[quote name='floormat']starcraft was great but pretty sure that was a 99 game... [/QUOTE]
'98. Brood War came out later the same year.

Well, I have five that I would put into the conversation:
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Kingdom Hearts
Guitar Hero II
Burnout 3: Takedown
Portal

The first two are the ones that got me to buy a PS2 and the third was one of the first games I bought for the 360. I had a ton of fun with Vice City and the setting was damn near perfect, but the storyline really lost me after you took over the mansion and the missions started focusing on the racing aspects.

Kingdom Hearts was a game that I thought would be mostly Disney (not a bad thing in my opinion), but while it used Disney properties as a backdrop, it created its own world and fiction that just drew me in. I think I'd rather play KH2 over and over, but KH1 set up the world and their is just something special about the first time.

I didnt really think much of GH2 when I bought it. It actually sat in my house for about a month before I played it, regretting my impulse purchase. Once I got into it though, I played it everyday for like 2 months. My wife once asked me if it was one of my favorite games and my knee-jerk reaction was to say no. However, upon further review, I have to say that it is. I have RB, RB2, GH3, GHWT, GH:M but I still find myself going back to GHII every now and then.

Crash Mode is the reason I loved Burnout 3: Takedown. The symphony of destruction made this the penultimate racing/driving game IMO. I thought the races in Revenge were better, but the puzzle crash mode was best in Takedown.

Portal: I dont really have to say much about this game. At it's core, it's a simple puzzler: use the portals to get from point A to point B. But the story wrapped around these puzzles is what make the game special. The guidance/taunting of GLaDOS both compels the player to continue as well as entertains in its own right. A short experience yes, but one that is memorable. And yes, the song.

But if I can only choose one, for me it has to be Kingdom Hearts. I was sucked into the fiction almost immediately. It helps that I'm a Disney-Phile to begin with, but Sora, Riku, and Kairi stood out even over Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. I anticipate each installment of the series now because of this game. While some would consider it "RPG-lite", it has gotten me to give a look at series like Persona, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest, something I would have never considered before playing KH. It's a top five all-time favorite of mine, so it definitely qualifies as best of the "aughts" IMO.

P.S. Guitar Hero II is an all-time top ten for me. Just short of KH.

[quote name='FroMann']Geez... Just one? ONE?!

Metal Gear Solid 3...

SNAAAAAKKKKEEEEE EAAAAAAATTEEEEEERRRRRRR!!![/QUOTE]

Snake Eater is certainly the best in the series, in my opinion.

Picking a single game, out of the thousands of games in all the genres, is a really tall task.

It might be fun if this thread expanded into a more fleshed-out thread; Best for each console, best per genre.. etc.

I spent far and away the most time with MGS2 and the GTA series on PS2. Honorable mention to Gran Turismo 3 (4 kind of passed me by) and possibly... Okami and Tales of Symphonia.

GTA3 by far.
For open world games, it was what games like doom and half life were to FPS's in the 90's,just completely blowing up that genre. Without gta3 we wouldn't have had all it's fantastic sequels(especially san andreas which is probably the best of that series),nor games like mercenaries or saints row or red faction guerilla etc.
After gta3 I bought or played just about any open world game I could get my hands on. And it brought back that " magical awe" that I first felt when I played super mario brothers on the NES.No other games have so completely changed the way I look at games.

I love MGS3: Subsistence, but I'd have to give the top game of the decade honors to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

If you'd like some more opinions on the top 10 of the decade, give a listen to The Retro League podcast. Episode 7 is where we first brought it up and we are getting ready to record the follow up episode in about 45 minutes. That episode (#11) should be up this Wednesday....or so.

www.theretroleague.com

[quote name='The Linguist']I think any objective analysis would show WoW to be the only correct answer. I've never played it but I doubt any other game even comes close to it in terms of number of players and number of hours played (at least no console game).[/QUOTE]

Hootie and The Blowfish had an album sell 11 million or so. Doesn't mean it s the best album of the year or decade.

I'd go either Knights of the Old Republic OR Halo: Combat Evolved

KOTOR for best RPG ever and Halo as simply the biggest game changer of this generation. Every FPS has been compared to Halo this decade

My contenders:
Valkyria Chronicles
Advance Wars
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Killer7
Jet Grind Radio
Ikaruga
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves

After a lot of contemplation, Valkyria Chronicles wins. It is the most beautiful game ever produced and the gameplay is amazing. It redefined the SRPG/RPG genre for me and completely ruined all other RPGs for me.

Jesus what a harsh question. So many contenders but it came down to the following:

Diablo 2
Halo 1
Knights of the Old Republic 1
Resident Evil 4
Bioshock
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1

I'd probably have to go with Diablo 2 just based on the stupid amount of time I put into it and it was the last PC game that I really got into (and oddly enough Torchlight just got me playing on the PC again) the expansion really brought things up to snuff but Diablo 2 was the party starter.

Knights of the Old republic and Halo would be a dead lock for runner up for me. KOTOR just blew me away and was the best WRPG I've played since Planescape/Baldur's Gate. Halo despite having a solid single player experience (but not mind blowing) really took the cake when it came to multiplayer and gave me years of system linking till Halo 2 was out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ihadFG']Ico

Runners up (in no particular order): Shadow of the Colossus, Bioshock, RE4, Psychonauts, Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, Valkyria Chronicles, Dead Space, Fallout 3, Hotel Dusk: Room 215[/QUOTE]

Good work

Half Life 2 (if I have to pick)

Any of the following are valid answers to me based on their impact:
Resident Evil 4
Grand Theft Auto III
Halo
Half Life 2
God of War

My tops are (in no particular order):

Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid 4, Halo, Samba de Amigo (DC), Phantasy Star Online (DC).

I'd have to go with Halo for me. Co-op and LAN provided a ton of fun. No other game this decade could quite match how much fun I had with the first Halo.

Honorable mentions:
GTA 3 and Vice City
Fallout 3
Knights of the Old Republic
Resident Evil 4
Uncharted

Halo 2 is my favorite game of the decade, simply because of the amazing and fun times I had with the game. MGS3 and Fallout 3 are tied for what I consider to be the best game of the decade though.

I would say that Halo 1-2 HAVE to be the games of the decade. Every FPS is compared to the original, and the second set the standard for online play. Like it or not, it's true.

I would also say Bioshock. I don't think any game will come close to the masterpiece that it was. It also seemed to appear out of thin air (at least to me) and it helped video games in general achieve a spot in the world of art (both graphic and literary).

Damn this is tough, but for me I would have to say Final Fantasy X or Uncharted 2. These are two game that I just about as soon as I was done with them I was ready to play them again. That's really rare for me.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I would say that Halo 1-2 HAVE to be the games of the decade. Every FPS is compared to the original, and the second set the standard for online play. Like it or not, it's true.[/QUOTE]

As influential as Halo has been, you can definitely make the argument that Half Life 2 has been just as influential. Halo became the gameplay standard, but Half Life 2 has become the standard for narrative FPS games, especially through its uses of setpieces, which is something the Modern Warfare series loves.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As influential as Halo has been, you can definitely make the argument that Half Life 2 has been just as influential. Halo became the gameplay standard, but Half Life 2 has become the standard for narrative FPS games, especially through its uses of setpieces, which is something the Modern Warfare series loves.[/QUOTE]

I could give you that. Let's call it a tie.

For it, it is very hard to narrow it down. Here is my top 3, in no particular order.

Diablo II and its expansion, Lord of Destruction,
God of War,
Metroid Prime.

[quote name='js1']Damn this is tough, but for me I would have to say Final Fantasy X or Uncharted 2. These are two game that I just about as soon as I was done with them I was ready to play them again. That's really rare for me.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I barely replay games, but the games that have an exception to this are truly magical. I replayed Diablo II approx 1000 times, over the years.

Even though the first version was released on 12/31/99. I'm gonna have to go with the final version of PHANTASY STAR ONLINE. It might be a cheat but that game is the X-Com of the decade as far as re-playability.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Mass Effect, for now. In three weeks, I change my answer to Mass Effect 2.[/QUOTE]
You can have both-- different decades. :)

bread's done
Back