Game titles you can't (or think you can't) pronounce

[quote name='Dunvane']You understand that what you have there is very close to how Suikoden is actually pronounced, right?

It's Soo-ee-koe-den. Japanese letters are grouped when translated to English in a way most people can't understand without studying why.

Suikoden was going to be my example anyway, because I've got some friends that adore the series (even replay 1 & 2 almost annually) but always always always say it Soo-ko-den, with the emphasis on the "ko." It's weird as hell. I have no idea where they came up with it. :)[/QUOTE]

I always feel better pronouncing this one "Sue-do-ken" with the k and d reversed. That way it's more like a fireball projectile from Streetfighter 2 :D Let's play Pseudo-ken 3!

Here's some more:

Ikaruga - Aye-CaROOGA (like how Bart Simpson says Ay Carumba)
Ehrgeiz is Errrr gehzz, signifying how one feels about the gameplay
Einhander - it's EN Hander, not ein honder

[quote name='dannyox718']Reading Japanese (in English letters) is easy. Just follow the Spanish reading rules. Latin is similar.

a is always "ah"
e is always "eh"
i is always "ee"
o is always "oh"
u is always "ooh"

Ryu is pronounced "Ryoo" (one quick syllable) and not Rye-yoo. Also Deus Ex would be "Deh-oohs Ex". That's it. For other languages, you're on your own. haha.[/QUOTE]

Deh-oohs? Shit, I liked playing me some Deuce Ex. There's God in them playing cards.

me and my brother always called ocarina of time "or can aa of time" when we were younger, when we found out it was pronounced as "oc are ina" we decided that the name that we came up with sounded better and still call it "or can aa of time" to this day

[quote name='elessar123']Lol. Deus Ex is Latin, from deus ex machina, and is pronounced like 'day us ex'. It's not Japanese. And Ryu is actually Ryu-u, so it is much longer than 'ryu' (I personally like writing it in romaji as RIyuU, to map the Japanese characters one to one). So in actuality, it is more like re~you/yoo[/QUOTE]

I know Deus Ex is Latin. That's why I wrote "Latin is similar". Come on, now. Also, 'day us ex' would be the more American way to pronounce Latin words. The rest of the world would pronounce it deh oohs.

As for how to say Ryu, I'll take your word for it. ;)

[quote name='dannyox718']I know Deus Ex is Latin. That's why I wrote "Latin is similar". Come on, now. Also, 'day us ex' would be the more American way to pronounce Latin words. The rest of the world would pronounce it deh oohs.

As for how to say Ryu, I'll take your word for it. ;)[/QUOTE]

According to IPA, it's more "day us", so not just Americans. See here. Sure, it's like "day oohs" originally in Latin, but it's a dead language for the most part. If we went away with IPA, many other words will have to change too.

And yea, I missed the part where you said it was Latin when I posted, for some reason.

Anybody else hear people say "x two" instead of "ten two" when talking about Final Fantasy X-2 way back when?

[quote name='ced']Anybody else hear people say "x two" instead of "ten two" when talking about Final Fantasy X-2 way back when?[/QUOTE]

I still say x two, actually. And to go further, I say "ef ef ex" and "ef ef ex eye" for FFX and FFXI. Not really sure why. But for the rest of the series, 1-13, I use the numbers. I haven't decided on FFXIV yet.

[quote name='elessar123']According to IPA, it's more "day us", so not just Americans. See here. Sure, it's like "day oohs" originally in Latin, but it's a dead language for the most part. If we went away with IPA, many other words will have to change too.

And yea, I missed the part where you said it was Latin when I posted, for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Never trust a Brit on pronunciation. Next thing you know you'll be saying things like sh-edule. :whee:

I also like to pronounce numbers written in Roman Numerals with Latin words, like Final Fantasy Duodecim (kidding)

[quote name='Rodimus']I had a few friends that called Guile "Gweelee". It annoyed me.

[/QUOTE]

I deal with that ALL the time. I've been called "gully" and "gill-e". It's why I changed my 360 gamer motto to "It's guile like mile".

In all the street fighter anime dubs I've seen Ryu is always pronounced "re-you". I know growing up playing SF2 everyone pronounced it "rye-you".

bread's done
Back