Gamecube to Game Boy Micro Cable - Instructions in here

Hello friend. I don't have a lot of technical knowhow unfortunately.

I had a quick look at your website and was a little mesmerised. If I look through it slowly should I be able to follow instructions to make one (being a dummy myself?).

Thanks.

[quote name='mario4eva']I had a quick look at your website and was a little mesmerised. If I look through it slowly should I be able to follow instructions to make one (being a dummy myself?).
.[/QUOTE]
To be honest.. I didn't really try to make this webpage "dummy"-proof. I hope that the reader is able to take apart things, knows how to solder and how to trace wires.
You might get aroung tracing the wires if you have the same wire coloring in the cables as some other people, still you should know how to take things apart (cutting cable) and putting back together (soldering)

Greetings,

TCC

Sorry to bump an older thread, but does anyone have one of these cables pre-made that they'd sell me? There's no way I could manage putting this thing together, but I really want to transfer my data between the Mario Golf GBA game to the GCN game, and all I have is a Micro. Can anyone sell me one?

Got one. Thanks guys.

Hi there,

just wanted to mention two things:

I built some more cables today and I found out that my shipment of the "Dragon" 4player-cables available at Play-Asia had a different wire coloring than the MadCatz one.

Shield: black
2: white
3: brown
4: yellow
5: red
6: blue

Also I always liked Troz picture (in the first posting) of the Micro showing Zelda. Yet I thought, there was something missing... like... eg. three other Micro:

gbm22.small.jpg

(sorry for the quality... lighting was rather bad and it's like impossible keeping them all in focus. Yet the message should be clear.

Also you might remember that I once feared for my savegame / memory card when a cube-powered cable was used. Something about "Cube needs the power elsewhere and not powering the cable electronics"

I guess, I can take back my doubts, now. I didn't play too long with all four micros (these *all* are Cube-powered cables) but there wasn't any problem.

Greetings,

TCC

[quote name='MorPhiend']Any of those for sale? :)[/QUOTE]

Any of those cables or any of those GBMs?

The funny thing is... I bought two of those GBMs for a friend because we weren't sure, if they'd stay in the shelves until he visits the store.
They're still here because he hasn't paid and taken them, yet.

Two of those cables actually are (like) sold. I had to take this picture before I send them away. The other two cables are "mine!mine!mine!". *G*

But if you want/need such a cable and live in europe (germany here), drop me a line. The friend mentioned above will want/need such a cable, too, and as soon as I have new material, I will build additional ones.

Greetings.

TCC

[quote name='TCCPhreak']Any of those cables or any of those GBMs?

The funny thing is... I bought two of those GBMs for a friend because we weren't sure, if they'd stay in the shelves until he visits the store.
They're still here because he hasn't paid and taken them, yet.

Two of those cables actually are (like) sold. I had to take this picture before I send them away. The other two cables are "mine!mine!mine!". *G*

But if you want/need such a cable and live in europe (germany here), drop me a line. The friend mentioned above will want/need such a cable, too, and as soon as I have new material, I will build additional ones.

Greetings.

TCC[/quote]Is international shipping prohibitively expensive?

[quote name='MorPhiend']Is international shipping prohibitively expensive?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean with "international"? USA?
When I send the other cables, I'll have to ask my post office. Still I think that anything out of europe might get rather expensive. Also I think that in that case there are people living closer to you, so it'd be better asking them.

Greetings,

TCC

[quote name='TCCPhreak']What do you mean with "international"? USA?
When I send the other cables, I'll have to ask my post office. Still I think that anything out of europe might get rather expensive. Also I think that in that case there are people living closer to you, so it'd be better asking them.

Greetings,

TCC[/quote]Yeah, USA. Okay then. Thanks for the replies though.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Yeah, USA. Okay then. Thanks for the replies though.[/quote]
Hello again,

I've asked. International shipping is 4 Eur (and I'm rather surprised. I expected it to be worse)

So if there really is noone building this cables and being located nearer to the USA, I could send you such a cable.

Greetings,

TCC

[quote name='TCCPhreak']What do you mean with "international"? USA?

Greetings,

TCC[/quote]

I´ll drop you a pm. I´ve searched a long time for such a cable. Living in Germany (Hamburg for me) will make shipping (and paying) such an item easier for both of us.

Greetz

Matcher

i was wondering if it would be possible to use a GCNGBA link and the GBM power cord to make a simple GCNGBM cable, or do i need a GBMGBM cable for this to work

anyone have one for sale and willing to ship to australia??
i've been looking at this site for a while and i've decided i'm not game enough to do it myself

I live in the US. Does anybody have two of these for sale that I could buy? Love my game boy micro. I'm getting one for my wife and then I can play zelda four swords on the gamecube with her! =) Thank you!

2Mourty - I can build two cables for you but you need to send the required cables to me, which would be one Official Nintendo Micro Link Cable and two Gamecube to GameBoy Advance cables. Send me a private message if you're interested in going that route.

genxevo - Unfortunately I don't have any cables for sale as I can't get the parts easily myself. As with 2Mourty, the only way for me to do it now is to get the parts shipped to me. If you're up for that then I can build you a cable.

[quote name='UncleBob']Errr... that is the same thing.[/quote]

they are??
to me one end looked like a male end and the other looked like a female end.

i shall buy it then and give it a try.. if it doesn't work i'll send the other end to you troz

soory for being a total noob at this.

i got an official gamecube/gba cable and an official micro link cable, and i was reading the method to dothis on the first page, and am kinda lost.

from what i've read, the end result should look like this:

???

My instructions on that first page are horrible and I really need to refine them. By following those instructions, the drawing you've made is accurate. Let me try and get together some updated directions...

Ok, the first page has been revamped. I still need to add directions for the MadCatz cable since that is the cable still sold at many places.

New to the forums, registered specifically because of this cable (I'll use the website for other stuff too, just didn't know about it before).

I have a few questions regarding cables that people have made and are using (also about how the cables and everything works).

I decided to get completely decked out with Four Swords Adventures for the GC, and basically bought two GBMs, a Gamecube, two controllers (are these needed with Four Swords Adventures - I can't tell as I haven't received the game yet), a link cable, two adapter cables (which don't work, as previously stated by others in this thread), and a Nyko Gamecube to GBA adapter cable - which I can get about another 6 of from the store I got the original from. I also bought the game itself, as well as two copies of Four Swords for the GBMicros.

That being said, obviously, I can't play the game the way I want right now. What I'd like to know is, if I make the link cable as described in the first post, with the Nyko adapter (connecting one GC controller port to one GBM), can I hook that into another GBM Link cable and have both GBM hooked into one port? (the Nyko cable seems to suggest this as it has two GBA connectors connecting to one GC port).

Secondly, is it possible to charge two GBMicros through a link cable (assuming the GBMicro link cable had the necessary connectors) connected to a GBMicro AC Adapter? ***edit - I misread about the cables that TCCPhreak had made - edit*** Where I'm going with this is, IF a cable can be made, like the NYKO cable by TOZ but also with the ability to power the Micro, can it then be plugged into a modified link cable that is attached to two GBMicro's, let them link to the GC as well as power them simultaneously? This would also provide the ability for me to power the GBMicros through the link cable and a power adapter, and as we are frequently on the go, I'd like to be able to play multiplayer games and power the systems simultaneously.

ok i am the most unco on this planet. I followed the directions and it didn't work.

this is my handywork:

anybody know what went wrong?

Odd, it looks good to me. Check to make certain that you are not bridging any connections with the solder, or perhaps with the red wire. I bridge the ground connection with pin 6, but that shouldn't be necessary to get it to work.

Can you verify that the GBA plug still works with a regular GBA to rule out the possibility that your circuit board isn't fried?

Hi, and thank you for the explanations. I've just ordered the necessary cables and I'm going to build my own.

I have a question: should I include the link box in the circuit or not? It was pretty clear for me until I saw genexevo's post. I thought I would just cut it close to the link box, throw away the end that has the box and connect the other end to the GBA connector of the GC-GBA link. Correct? Why does the schema shows the 2 ends of the Micro-Micro link still there, with a connection right in the middle of the link box?

Genexevo's post above with the image of two link cables is outdated. That was the original way I got the cables working since I didn't want to cut the micro link cable at first. Use the directions on the first page and you should be ok. I'm always open to questions if you need some further help.

:applause:
thank you Troz and TCC for doing the research.

i made a cable out of my Nin micro-micro and Nin GBA-GC cable.
and then with the remaining end of the micro-micro, i made a second with an off-brand (similar to the MadCatz circuitboard).
both worked well the first time.

very pleased with both. thanks again.

I made my cable, and it works great! Thank you very much for the explainations. I ended up stuffing everything in the GC connector housing.

genxevo: your message is already 2 months so you probably either figured it out or gave up already, but you seem to be missing the bridge between the ground and the pin 6. I forgot it too first and it wasn't working.

^Yeah, i've basically gave up, been trying to get a gba sp to try it out, but when i get my soldering iron back, i'll bridge the ground with pin 6 (the pin on top of the 'R6' on the chip?)

cheers mate

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Troz1820 i sent you a private message please respond i am very interasted in getting one of these cables from you i have no soldering skills so i would send you the needed cables and the amount for laber.

Hello,

I just went and bought the non-Nintendo Micro link cable and as well non-Nintendo GBA to GC -cable, and after receiving the cables I read this thread more thoroughly only to discover that the non-Nintendo link cable won't probably work. The cables seem to be sold under Maxpro brand.

Any way, I spend a couple of hours figuring out the wiring of these cables, here's the picture: diagram The left connector in the diagram: Micro-cable And the right one: GBA to GC

So now I know which pin is connected to which wire. Does the official Nintendo cables have data in and data out -pins connected to the same wire? I thought there would be separate wires for data in and data out.

Do you have any idea how I should connect these cables together, or does my Micro link cable miss one wire as have been said in this thread? After looking the wiring diagrams and connector pin outs from this thread I feel pretty confused.

I think I'll have a better look into this matter tomorrow, but help is appreciated anyway.

edit: It seems that I need a reliable picture of the pin out of Micro's connector, so far I have only found very contradictory info about this.

Sorry, I've been a bit lazy with this thread, and gaming in general lately. I've replied to all PMs and yes, the service is still available. I do not have any cables to sell outright, so all parts must be shipped to me.

hey i need 2 or 3 of these cables does any one have them for sale i live in australia just wondering if any one has because probs cost bulk t send to where ever you get them made

Years ago I posted in this thread about converting an F2A USB linker to use the GB Micro and, though I got it working in the end, I think it was blind luck and I'm pretty certain my pin-out diagram was wrong. It's generally so confusing because people have slightly different ideas about what is a male or female connector etc.

Anyway, I recently got hold of Pac Man Vs and wanted to hook up my micro to my Gamecube so I smashed up my Logic3 GC-GBA cable's logic board capsule and hacked up a cheap GBM-GBM link cable. Sadly the GBM link cable didn't have the 3.3V pin wired, and one end used Serial In and the other used Serial Out (neither connector was wired for both). I decided to at least make a prototype until I can get a proper official link cable and I can now confirm that this pinout diagram is correct:
http://snowcat.de/gbmicro.html
If you wire it up as per this and it doesn't work, you most likely need to switch your Serial In and Serial Out pins at one end of your cable.

pacmanvs.jpg

I registered just for this topic, so please excuse my low amount (0) of posts. If I am reading correct, if you use the Nyko Cube Link method, it won't require soldering? If this is true, is there any other GBA>GC link that I can do that with? The Cube Links are sparse and about $20 (after shipping.) Thanks to all that reply.

i am obsessed with getting one of these, but have zero ability at soldering.

if anyone is willing to make one for me, i will pay you, supply the cables, or both.

pm me

[quote name='Troz1820']Yup, I'll still make them if you send the supplies to me.[/quote]

This is an awesome thread. My GBM is really cool, but not being able to connect to GameCube titles is a bit of a drag. If I can find the right cables to send, you'll have another happy costumer.
:D

I wish I bought two GBM's instead of one from Sears when I had the chance, or some when TRU had them for $35, or some when Walmart had them for $40. *bomb* My R button sucks and I'm missing a tri wing screw.

So, basicly, which kind of link cables can I use to rebuild your project on my own since the original ones are pretty rare nowadays?
Although I read through the whole thread I have no clue which products the GBA-GC cable is compatible with....:cry:

Theoretically you should be able to use any GBA->GC cable for this. Just use the wiring scheme shown in the photos on the first page. I've run into a few that don't work, but they were super cheap-o Chinese knockoffs. Remember that you MUST use the official Nintendo Gameboy Micro link cable.

[quote name='Troz1820']Theoretically you should be able to use any GBA->GC cable for this. Just use the wiring scheme shown in the photos on the first page. I've run into a few that don't work, but they were super cheap-o Chinese knockoffs. Remember that you MUST use the official Nintendo Gameboy Micro link cable.[/quote]
So it's definately not possible to use another link cable.... damn....

thx however and keep up the good work^^

[quote name='Troz1820']Theoretically you should be able to use any GBA->GC cable for this. Just use the wiring scheme shown in the photos on the first page. I've run into a few that don't work, but they were super cheap-o Chinese knockoffs. Remember that you MUST use the official Nintendo Gameboy Micro link cable.[/quote]
As off now, I got any GBA->GC-cable to work with micro as well.

Also I don't use the official Nintendo Gameboy Micro link cables. I still don't know why none of the commercial GBA->GC-adapters does this, but it seems like all of them can work with 3.3V from Gamecube instead of using the GBAs 3.3V. (Thus eliminating the need for the 3.3V wire and therefore the official Nintendo cable)

Still, you need to have the other five wires. Cheap 2player-GBM-link-cables don't have them, so you better try to find cheap 4-player-GBM-link-cables. They tend to have all five wires from all of the connectors.

TCC

bread's done
Back