Gamecube to Game Boy Micro Cable - Instructions in here

[quote name='Troz1820']Yup, I'll still make them if you send the supplies to me.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I've been looking for this cable for a long time but it's impossible to get it where I live(it's even impossible to get GBA to GCN cable...). I know you need the supplies in order to make it but would you be able to get the supplies for yourself and make one for me? I'd definately pay you for doing that in return. I would love to send you the supplies but I don't think they don't even sell in trading website here(New Zealand). Would you be considered? I beg of you!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ok, I'm working on getting the supplies together for another run of 10 cables. Please send me a PM if you are interested in a cable. Cost will probably be $25 shipped in the US, and a little more for international shipments.

Hi there,

I've PM'd Troz & will have one of his cables off him when they're ready, but he is now unable to get the Nyko Gamelink cables, so instead uses a plastic box to house the electronics.

I've managed to source what I think is a secondhand Nyko Gamelink cable on eBay, so I should be able to make up one of the slimmer cables myself.

The problem: I have no idea where to source one of the official Nintendo GameBoy Micro Game Link cables.
These are the ones used for connecting 2 or 4 Gameboy Micros together for multiplayer GameBoy Advance games, right? (and normally nothing to do with the Gamecube)

Any suggestions where to get an official Nintendo GameBoy Micro Game Link cable? Preferably in the UK / Europe.

There are frikkin' loads of the game link cables on eBay, but I don't see any which look like official ones.

Troz: if you're reading this, don't worry - I'll still take one of your cables. Although I'm most interested in Pac-Man Vs., I would be glad to have two (or even more) of the cables for other games.

Stroller.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Troz1820']Ok, I'm working on getting the supplies together for another run of 10 cables. Please send me a PM if you are interested in a cable. Cost will probably be $25 shipped in the US, and a little more for international shipments.[/QUOTE]

Nice.

This article is great, but I don't have any soldering skills. Rather than spend $20+ to get the cables and materials to try myself, I'd rather pay slightly more to get one that I know works. Count me in (with a private message already sent).

So finally I have got material for two cables (1 original GBM linkcable, 2 original GBA-GC cables) :)
Is there anything I have to be extremely careful with while soldering? I'm not not that experienced....Is it possible to overheat/destroy the hardware easily?

PS: I'm planning to sell one of these on ebay. What do you think, how much will I get?

[quote name='GBM']So finally I have got material for two cables (1 original GBM linkcable, 2 original GBA-GC cables) :) [/QUOTE]
Congrats! Where did you get the GBM linkcable from? They're extremely hard to find around here.

Personally, I would try to source secondhand Nyko cables instead of original GBA-GC cables, as the result will be a slimmer neater cable. The first time I looked on eBay I found one, but maybe I was just lucky that time.

[quote name='GBM']Is there anything I have to be extremely careful with while soldering? I'm not not that experienced....Is it possible to overheat/destroy the hardware easily? [/QUOTE]
I would say that soldering takes a bit of practice to get right. It's not just a case of heating up the metal & dunking a wire in it - there's an "art" to it, so that the wire heats to the right temperature, the solder flows smoothly, and so that you get a clean & strong joint when it cools.

Best thing to do is buy 5 meters of wire, cut some 10cm lengths off it and start practising soldering them together. Find some discarded old circuit boards & practise with them. I'd imagine there are "How To Solder" videos on YouTube and tutorials for noobs on on sites for electronics enthusiasts - watch some of those.

Don't start messing with your GBA cables until you already have your techniques right.

[quote name='GBM']PS: I'm planning to sell one of these on ebay. What do you think, how much will I get?[/QUOTE]
I don't want to sound negative, but if you've never soldered before, you probably shouldn't be selling the fruits of your labours. I can't paint, and I wouldn't set myself up in business as a painter - anyone would be able to see the mess I'd make of it! I think in your case you should be just glad you've got the spares as a contingency against messing up. You may find yourself glad of a second attempt!

Stroller.

[quote name='Strolls']I think in your case you should be just glad you've got the spares as a contingency against messing up. You may find yourself glad of a second attempt![/QUOTE]

Words of wisdom right there.

I tried soldering once, but usually don't admit to it because of the horrid results. Sure it looks easy... but takes skill and a steady hand if you want good results. Being able to take a second shot with your extra cables might end up being very useful.

Best of luck with your cables!

Sweet, it looks like the cables are in the mail! Can't wait, although I'll probably only end up using them occasionally. Now to track down a second Game Boy Micro at a reasonable price...
:D

The cable arrived today (shipping took only 5 days to Germany, pretty fast)!

Excellent work on the cables.
It works like a charm and even looks very professionaly done!

Thank you very much Troz!!!

Ok, so, what cables are the GBM link cable pins?

like:

Pin 1: blah blah blah colored wire

You understand what I'm sayin? I'm using an official GBM link cable. I dont have a Multimeter that small, so I cant check

[quote name='patters']

... I can now confirm that this pinout diagram is correct:
http://snowcat.de/gbmicro.html
If you wire it up as per this and it doesn't work, you most likely need to switch your Serial In and Serial Out pins at one end of your cable.

[/QUOTE]

This was posted earlier in the thread. You can go back and find the post yourself (it's also got a picture of Pac-Man playing on a GBM) or just check the link from this post.

I cannot vouch for the diagram myself, but just remembered seeing it a while back. Hope this helps.

[quote name='ejamer']This was posted earlier in the thread. You can go back and find the post yourself (it's also got a picture of Pac-Man playing on a GBM) or just check the link from this post.

I cannot vouch for the diagram myself, but just remembered seeing it a while back. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
I know the pins, I just need to know the wires, like what wires are what pins on the GBM?

@Atomic2000:
Oh, sorry. Guess that didn't help at all then. :(

Yay! My pre-built GBM to GC cables arrived today, and look great. I ordered two cables, tried one with Animal Crossing right away and am delighted with the result. Thanks to Troz1820 for the awesome deal.

Hi Everybody,

I've realise a little variometer sensor to use it on a GB Micro.
Original hary nair prototype is for GBA sp (http://www.pixelproc.net/#Altimeter)
I've finish solder 6 câbles, but unit does'nt work whith GB micro.
So i was thinking that i've made a mistake in câbles positions.
Maybe a mirror problem (mâle - female)

In my shema, N°1 to 8 are for link câble (original one) but maybe i must turn it in 180° to have N°8 to 1.

I'm sure of corresponding color / pin (controled with controler).

My shema :
Blue = VCC 3.3v = 2
Red = SO = 3
Orange = SI = 4
Brown = SD = 5
Green = SC = 6
Copper = GND = 7

Good Schema ? :
Copper = GND = 2
Green = ?? = 3
Brown = ?? = 4
Orange = ?? = 5
Red = ?? = 6
Blue = VCC 3.3v = 7

With my poor english, i don't know if you understand what i mean.

Here is pictures of my prototype and shema :
http://picasaweb.google.com/thermiczone/VarioGBAMicro02?authkey=Gv1sRgCJPq0IKbvfaQvAE#slideshow/5358779687303301378

Thank's in advance for your answer

Marc

Hi there Troz!
Unfortunately your mailbox is full, so I canot send you a message.
I just read that you are able to make GC->GB Micro Cables. That's awesome!
I'm from Germany and I wanted to ask you if it is possible for me to purchase such a cable from you. If there is a chance for me for getting that cable, please e-mail me ([email protected]). An answer from you would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!

All the best,
Florian

Hey,

Just like the last guy, I tried to PM you but your inbox was full. Would you be willing to make a cable for somebody in Canada? I'd be willing to pay extra if the shipping would be an issue, and I can also get the donor cables myself.

If you're willing, could you email me? ([email protected])

Thanks a lot!

Sorry about that, I've been swamped lately. As such I simply do not have the time to do any of this work right now. Hopefully you can find someone that is willing to do the work.

[quote name='Atomic2000']I know the pins, I just need to know the wires, like what wires are what pins on the GBM?[/QUOTE]

Most multimeters will have a continuity checker - it's pretty much impossible without that. You strip all the wires at one end of your cable, then touch one probe against an exposed wire, then touch the other probe against each pin in turn and when you hear the beep - that's the one that corresponds to your wire. That way, using the pin outs I referenced you can work out what each colour does and connect as appropriate.

I forgot to say how I got that cable built for Pacman Vs - I had to carefully trim all the plastic off then break apart the connector. It was just possible to solder onto the tiny (and I mean really tiny!) ends of what was left of the metal pins as they emerge from the plastic (even the ones that weren't hooked up in that particular cable). The PCB that the pins mount onto broke off at the slightest manipulation, taking most of the pins' metal with it. In its finished state it's extremely fragile though so it's not great. If anyone finds a way to get Official cables outside the US - post about it here! Can't believe I missed another run of cables!

[quote name='thermiczone']Hi Everybody,
I've realise a little variometer sensor to use it on a GB Micro.
[/QUOTE]
I like the vario - I'd seen your site before while researching the pin-outs years ago. As I mentioned earlier I had success when I used this schematic http://snowcat.de/gbmicro.html. Most of the others I referred to seemed to be wrong. If it doesn't work then maybe switch Serial In and Serial Out before abandoning.

[quote name='patters']... If anyone finds a way to get Official cables outside the US - post about it here! Can't believe I missed another run of cables![/QUOTE]
I was lucky to find a Canadian on another forum who was able to buy them from the official North American Nintendo store (link elsewhere in this thread) and was kind enough to ship them across the Atlantic to me.

He got me 5 - the maximum allowance that Nintendo will sell to one individual - and I ended up paying £55 (£11 each) for them. That included the shipping costs at the Nintendo online store to his address in Canada, and shipping from him to me. From the date he ordered them I guess it took about 2 weeks for them to arrive.

I hope eventually to have some of these official cables left spare, and to be able to offer them here, but probably not for a very long time. Finding someone to get these for me was enough of an inconvenience that I would really like to make up a full set of 4 cables based on the Nyco 3rd-party cable (see first post). But these Nyco 3rd-party cables are like rocking-horse shit now, so it may take me years to find 3 more of them! And, wanting to keep as many of my original cables as possible in case I foul-up the soldering, I don't want to part with any until I've completed my set.

My best advice is to find a helpful American or Canadian - on another thread or through private contacts - who can help you out. It shouldn't be that hard - it's surely the easiest way to get these cables.

Stroller.

Dear guys.
I think I found a homepage from Hong kong who sells Official GBM link cables for 15$ a piece without the freight (10$). I just wrote them to ask how many they have in stock and if they can come up with a favorable price reduction fro batches.

I'll keep you updated on this tread :)

Edit 1: Nope. Dead end. SOrry if I gave anybody expectations. I think I'm gonna try TCCPhreak's method. As far as I have understood, you don't need an official GBM-->GBM cable, but you need a multimeter and additional soldering skills to wire power from the gamecube to the GBM pin 1. I can't wait.

Are there still people willing to assist with the creation of a cable ^? Im from sweden and would prefer if you could order the cable on your own, have some solder-fun and ship em to me. This with payment before you order ofc.. and i hope i dont get scammed if i find a helpful soul here =)

Hi there Cellzor
I just ordered a 4-player GBM link cable from dragon from an Italian homepage. They are getting pretty scarce too. I PM'ed TCCPhreak a couple of days ago to see if he's still selling The cube-powered GBM-->GC cables, but he hasn't answered yet. So I ordered the material, because I'm quite obsessed about getting this cable. I wasn't planning on taking over the production of cables on this page (have to learn to solder first, see :). An engineering friend of mine is going to help me with the soldering. If it turns out well, then just maybe will I sell some more made from the rest of the dragon cable.
I WANNA PLAY FOUR SWORDS WITH MY GBM, dammit!!

sounds great clapthom, im the same situation as you... sucky that nintendo never made a GBM->GC cable even though they did the GBM->GBA/SP one =(

But dont hesitate to contact me once you have it figured and and have the time to make me one :D!

Hey, it is still possible to make these cables using TCCPhreak's method. I did it and after some trial and error I managed to play Four Swords on my GBM. He posted a link somewhere in this tread. But the 4-player Dragon link cables needed are getting a little scarce too, so you have to be quick. Good luck, if there are any gamers out there, who still have this unusual need.

Can anyone please post a tutorial for basic soldering skills wihch are necessary to make one of those cables? thx

[quote name='GBM']Can anyone please post a tutorial for basic soldering skills wihch are necessary to make one of those cables? thx[/QUOTE]
First two hits on Google for "learn to solder":
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/01/its_learn_to_solder_month.html

The first one has a video of the exact thing you need to do to make these. If you've never soldered before you'll need LOTS of practice before you're ready to undertake this mod - buy some wire of about the same thickness from the electronics store and have a try. I could easily see 10 hours of practice before you're ready to make an even halfway decent job of this, but a bodged job will probably still work.

If anyone is interested in selling one of these from there own collection I will buy. Please PM me if interested. I am also interested in buying an official GBM link cable if you have one of those available. Let me know asap. Thanks!!!!

I have found the official nintendo link cables necessary to make the Micro to Wii cables. I no longer need them. For those who might be looking for some I would suggest this site, I looked all over the world and found that no one has them but a wholesaler who is not willing to part with any less than a bulk purchase... He apparently has the last 1000 pieces. I was lucky to find them here instead:

gametz.com

Put up a post, I was able to find them eventually. :D

Hey, i made myself some calbes and had materials over so now i have 2 of these cables for sale. Contact me via pm if you are interested!

Hi guys,
i discovered this website looking specifically for a system allowing to connect a gameboy Micro to a gamecube in order to play Zelda 4 swords with it.
first of all i am amazed by the work that has been undertaken right here.
sadly for me i haven't soldered anything in my entire life and my skills concerning wiring devices is Zero...
that leads me to the part when i ll be saying:
if anyone has a pair of those cables for sale i would really be interested.
if anyone is able to "create" them but lacks some material i have a lot of stuff that "could" be usefull.
got 3 NGC>GBA/SP connect cables, one is official nintendo other two are Kelkoo or Bigben
got "some" GBM>GBM link cables that i ended with trying to buy some "faceplates" for my GBMs
got "some" UK and JAP GBM chargers that i don't use ( does not work in France)
got "very few" (maybe just one) USB>GBM plugs imported from japan
so if anyone can get the job done with those pack'o'wires that would be neat
i need 2 of those cables for i only have 2 GBMs

thanks a bunch for posting here or PMing me!

Hey. I made 3 cables 1 year ago. I never soldered anything before, so I had to borrow a cheap soldering iron from one of my friends and try to play around with the consistency of soldering tin for ages. After short circuiting my Wii a couple of times I managed to make 3 workable cables using TCCPhreak's method (4-player link GBM Dragon cable + a big ben GCGBA cable). It was a total pain in the ass, but it was also a deeply satisfying experience to play Four Swords adventures on my GBM. I really think you should watch a couple of soldering videos and give it a go. I can coach you. But I don't think I can be bothered soldering that thing again, it took a lot of time. Besides I have already given the soldering iron back to my stepmoms, ex-son-in-law (not the part of the family i frequent often).

- Clapthom

Still want GBM-GC cables? Don't be too hopefull.
Hey. I made 3 cables 1 year ago. I never soldered anything before, so I had to borrow a cheap soldering iron from one of my friends and try to play around with the consistency of soldering tin for ages. After short circuiting my Wii a couple of times I managed to make 3 workable cables using TCCPhreak's method (4-player link GBM Dragon cable + a big ben GCGBA cable). It was a total pain in the ass, but it was also a deeply satisfying experience to play Four Swords adventures on my GBM. I really think you should watch a couple of soldering videos and give it a go. I can coach you. But I don't think I can be bothered soldering that thing again, it took a lot of time. Besides I have already given the soldering iron back to my stepmoms, ex-son-in-law (not the part of the family i frequent often).

- Clapthom

Ok Clapthom, thanks a bunch for answering,
so you managed to do a pair of these on your own with no experience?
maybe i should give it a go too, i ll keep you guys informed!
nonetheless if anyone turns out to be doing/selling some himself i'd like to have a chance on them !
Live Long And Prosper

Hey people.

I am currently selling my Gameboy Micro, so I have no more use for a GBMGC cable anymore. I anyone is up for one, please PM me.
-Clapthom

P.S. In case you are wondering about the quality of the cables, I can tell you that I've already sold and soldered two last year to Cellzor (see page 17, this tread). He is very satisfied with them.

bread's done
Back