Gamecube worth playing?

Matedawg11

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (99%)
I was wondering, since I never had a gamecube and the extent of my gamecube experience is super smash bros melee, what I should do. I have a Wii now and was considering buying a GC controller instead of the "classic pro" in case I ever wanted to play a GC game. With this in mind I started searching for the gems of the gamecube, I only saw a few that really appealed to me and figured I would start with Baten Kaitos. Then, I figured whether it even pays off playing old gamecube games when I find myself with a short attention span for current gen games sometimes....I just kinda need to be convinced I guess and who's better to ask then the CAG old school. Help?

How about Mario Party? I used to play 3 on the N64 all the time and loved it so much but what about on the gamecube, which is the best?

Also, recommendations are more then welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my favorites are:

-Luigis Mansion
-Mario Sunshine
-Mario Kart Double Dash
-Zelda Wind Waker
-The Gameboy Advance Player for the gamecube
-Pokemon Colosseum
-Mario Strikers
-F-Zero GX
-Suoer Smash Bros Melee

I really enjoyed these games:

Super Mario Sunshine (it's not the best 3D Mario, but the worst 3D Mario is better than most platformers imo)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (content-rich game, great multiplayer fun)
F-Zero GX (very difficult though)
Mario Power Tennis (the NPC Wii version sucks hardcore)
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
Tales of Symphonia (great JRPG)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (if waggle on the Wii is not to your liking)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (the triforce quest at the end makes this game suck near the end)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle
Luigi's Mansion
Star Wars: Rogue Leader Rogue Squadron II
Viewtiful Joe
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (great multiplayer game with cool course design)

I forget others. That should start you off though.

There are a handful of good Gamecube games (literally just a handful) but all should be very cheap by now.

In addition to those already mentioned:
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil remake
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Metroid Prime games (although you can get them on the Wii, they are super cheap on GC too)

I think it's worthwhile, since you can usually get GameCube titles cheap now.

Some general suggestions, although there might be more games to consider as well:

- 007 Everything or Nothing
- Baten Kaitos / Baten Kaitos Origins
- Beyond Good and Evil*
- Eternal Darkness
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- Hulk Ultimate Destruction
- Ikaruga*
- Killer 7
- Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker
- Luigi's Mansion
- Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
- Prince of Persia*
- Resident Evil
- Resident Evil Zero
- Skies of Arcadia Legends
- Soul Calibur 2
- Star Wars Rogue Squadron / Rebel Strike
- Super Monkey Ball
- Tales of Symphonia
- Viewtiful Joe
- X-Men Legends 1 and 2

* I think these games have HD remakes available, which you might prefer.

The following games are also very good if you have the required accessories. For the first one you just need a special controller. The other two require sets of GBA consoles and connecting cables for each player... and the games really need 4 players in the same room to shine. It's not expensive to get the accessories, but can be kind of a pain.

- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chonicles
- Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Chibi Robo hasn't been mentioned and is great.[/QUOTE]

Good call. Also the Pikmin games.

^That's not exactly cheap though, is it (or easy to find)?

I got a GC pretty late in the last Gen, so I didn't get the full experience of it, but I have played a few good games:
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (best Zelda game, IMO)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
True Crime: New York City (a bit glitchy, but a decent game)
Need For Speed: Underground 2
The Simpsons Hit and Run
both Metroid Prime games
Luigi's Mansion (concept was a little odd, but the game was fun enough)

[quote name='ROB64']^That's not exactly cheap though, is it (or easy to find)?

[/QUOTE]

Wow. I just did a quick ebay search and you're right. I never realized it was selling for so much. I got my gamecube because i got a great deal on it, never really took it seriously, only have 15 games for it or so. Picked up SoA:Legends because I loved the Dreamcast version, and it cost me sub $20.

3 games I didn't see people mention yet:

Billy Hatcher
Ultimate Muscle
Mega Man: Network Transmission

Not the best games but I enjoyed them.

How about Mario Party? I used to play 3 on the N64 all the time and loved it so much but what about on the gamecube, which is the best?

There are a few Skies of Arcadia Legends that have gone for under $30. It's definitely worth that. I was kind of surprised its still so expensive I thought it got a reprint at some point.

I feel like I'm the only person who completely abandons consoles after their predecessor's come out. Once I got a Wii, I almost never played Gamecube games. Same goes for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. I just seem to be the guy who needs to play the newest shit - which is odd, because I never buy games on release, I wait for them to drop dramatically in price.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']... predecessor's ...[/QUOTE]

Successor. "Pre" means before, so predecessor is the one that came before.

Usually I agree with you - the only exception is with full backwards compatibility (like the Wii has). When it's automatic and at no additional cost, why not take the time to play some classics from last gen?

Of course it also helps that I skipped gaming last gen so hardly played any GameCube/XBox/PS2 games at all, so everything is new to me.

Poor GameCube, truly a misunderstood console. With that stated, it has a very healthy library of games that are definitely worth going back and getting. Hell, this past week I ended up picking up four GameCube games complete in excellent condition for $40 (Those being Mario Superstar Baseball, Custom Robo, WarioWare Inc, and Pokemon Channel) and I already have 40+ games for the system. There's still so much to get and play on the little sucker.

If you're looking for Mario Party, MP 6 and 7 are truly good and some of the best in the series. Just make sure it comes with the microphone attachment, it's needed to play it.

Mario Golf: Toadstood Tour and Mario Power Tennis are awesome Mario sports games and chances are extremely high they won't get sequels on the Wii (their developer, Camelot, has been working on different projects lately). With that stated, they can be found for a reasonable price.

Is there any genre you're looking at specifically?

While the Mario sports games are all very addictive and a lot of fun, they are super formulaic regardless of which publisher made them. Once you pay attention to how things always play out the same, all the fun is lost.

[quote name='M-PG71C']If you're looking for Mario Party, MP 6 and 7 are truly good and some of the best in the series. Just make sure it comes with the microphone attachment, it's needed to play it.

Mario Golf: Toadstood Tour and Mario Power Tennis are awesome Mario sports games and chances are extremely high they won't get sequels on the Wii (their developer, Camelot, has been working on different projects lately). With that stated, they can be found for a reasonable price.
[/QUOTE]

You don't need the mic to play the Mario Parties - you'll just miss out on a few minigames that require it (which you can turn off in the options). There's also a Wii port of Mario Power Tennis (much like they did with Pikmin), but it's cheaper/easier to just find the GCN version. Still just putting it out there, either way.

@ DG

Oh yeah, that's true. Man, that's how long it has been since I've played it, memory doesn't serve right lol :D Regardless, I remember the microphone being pretty fun, for the OP, I would try to find it bundled.

As for the NPC port, I thought I should mention it but since it wasn't a sequel (and actually, sucked) I thought best to leave it alone. :D

I might be one of the few people who liked Custom Robo I also recommend Timesplitters 2, Timesplitters Future Perfect, and Battilion Wars.

bread's done
Back