GameFly Daily Deals: Battlefield 3 (360) $20, LOTR: War in the North $10, SC V $20

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MrNEWZ']Part of me knows I will get Dead Island for $10 or less and I should hold off. The other part of me wants to just get it now... decisions.[/QUOTE]

I have 30ish games in the backlog and caved in on it.

[quote name='waldo21212']I have 30ish games in the backlog and caved in on it.[/QUOTE]
14.99 is that good a price for Dead Island?

Was hoping on the Silent Hill HD being for Xbox as well. Might've jumped on Sniper as well if for Xbox. Oh well, wallet is safe for tonight anyway.

I got about 20 games on the backlog myself and still picked up Dead Island. My buddy said it was fun and he and I tend to have similar taste in games. I have a hard time resisting when games get to the $10 - $20 price range. I guess I am a compulsive video game buyer... Hell, I bought Kinectimals for like $10 or something. I mean, Kinectimals!?!?? *sigh* I have a problem... :whistle2:/

[quote name='waldo21212']I have 30ish games in the backlog and caved in on it.[/QUOTE]

Reading other CAGs post things like this make me realize I am among my people. So. Many. Games. In. Backlog.

Sold Silent Hill HD for $30 about a week ago, thinking about picking it back up.. but Silent Hill 3 was beyond terrible, the framerate would dip big time the moment you got close to enemies.

Silent Hill 2 is alright besides lightning issues, and the fog distance being all fked up.

I'll probably skip it and wait till it hits $9.99 before playing it again.

If Silent Hill was on Xbox would have picked it up. Either they had more PS3 copies or because the PS3 port has so many problems is why it's cheaper first.

Also, 10 dollars seems to be the sweet spot for Heavy Backloggers, I had considered but with tons of games yet to play, it can wait for that price.

I have the Kinectanimals with Bears, and I like the game. I guess I have problems, too. Sigh!

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']I got about 20 games on the backlog myself and still picked up Dead Island. My buddy said it was fun and he and I tend to have similar taste in games. I have a hard time resisting when games get to the $10 - $20 price range. I guess I am a compulsive video game buyer... Hell, I bought Kinectimals for like $10 or something. I mean, Kinectimals!?!?? *sigh* I have a problem... :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blinknot4']Reading other CAGs post things like this make me realize I am among my people. So. Many. Games. In. Backlog.[/QUOTE]

Konami announced two weeks ago it was working on a patch for the Silent Hill HD collection. Hopefully it will show up soon, as I bought a copy on GF tonight.....

My backlog says over 150... and that's only the Xbox 360 games.

Oh well, bought Dead Island anyway. I'm sure I'll get around to playing it someday. Or not.

I don't get cags with backlogs and/or purchasing when you have a backlog. A game only drops further in price the further it gets from release, if you have a backlog then there's no reason you should purchase during any sale because 99% of the time it'll be that or lower when you can actually have time to play it. Plus, a backlog allows any games you do purchase to greatly lose value thus negating any chance of a return on purchase price if you care about trading in games.

I'd suggest all abandon backlogs or create a sophisticated logging system that would allow you to debate what position a new purchase would take in your list of games. If it would be near the top, it justifies a purchase. If it falls to the middle or low end then it can definitely wait.

I only keep 3-7 games at a time in order to prevent paying out of pocket for any video games I purchase.

So my copy of Rage showed up today....with no sewers code. I thought gamefly included the online pass codes that were supposed to come with a new purchase of a game. Yet here I am without one. I e-mailed them earlier today and got a response already. Stating:

"Thank you for contacting GameFly. The complete access code has to be purchased with a map pack and does not come with the purchase of the game. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Which has me thinking what are they doing with all the sewer codes that were supposed to come with copies of the game. Cause HEY it say in the game, and on the psn store itself that you shouldn't have to buy it if you got it new. Which I know my purchase isn't new, but again their policy typically is to include those passes isn't it? If I had known it wouldn't include it, I would've bought the Anarchy Edition off amazon for 17 bucks. Instead of the now 10 more bucks I'll have to spend just to get sewer access. I'm gonna call tomorrow to see if this can be sorted out, it should come with the sewer "dlc"(As it was included with all copies Anarchy or not).

[quote name='CandyCaptain']So my copy of Rage showed up today....with no sewers code. I thought gamefly included the online pass codes that were supposed to come with a new purchase of a game. Yet here I am without one. I e-mailed them earlier today and got a response already. Stating:

"Thank you for contacting GameFly. The complete access code has to be purchased with a map pack and does not come with the purchase of the game. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Which has me thinking what are they doing with all the sewer codes that were supposed to come with copies of the game. Cause HEY it say in the game, and on the psn store itself that you shouldn't have to buy it if you got it new. Which I know my purchase isn't new, but again their policy typically is to include those passes isn't it? If I had known it wouldn't include it, I would've bought the Anarchy Edition off amazon for 17 bucks. Instead of the now 10 more bucks I'll have to spend just to get sewer access. I'm gonna call tomorrow to see if this can be sorted out, it should come with the sewer "dlc"(As it was included with all copies Anarchy or not).[/QUOTE]

Did it have no slips at all? I think my code was on the flip side of something, almost missed it.

[quote name='Punisher138']I wonder if the fact that SH HD for PS3 is on here means that no further patches are coming for it. I heard the PS3 version is still fucked. Glad I got it for 360 instead.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='frogkopf']Konami announced two weeks ago it was working on a patch for the Silent Hill HD collection. Hopefully it will show up soon, as I bought a copy on GF tonight.....[/QUOTE]

Was gonna post the same thing. Game Informer website has an article about it, but I don't feel like digging it up at the moment. But there should be at least 1 more patch coming.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']If Silent Hill was on Xbox would have picked it up. Either they had more PS3 copies or because the PS3 port has so many problems is why it's cheaper first.

Also, 10 dollars seems to be the sweet spot for Heavy Backloggers, I had considered but with tons of games yet to play, it can wait for that price.[/QUOTE]

I'm a heavy backlogger, but have a weakness for these HD Collections. Ended up paying $26 for Jak and Daxter, $29 for DMC, and $21 for Silent Hill. Better then retail, but I probably shouldn't pay that much for them.

Plus, with the way I calculate my backlog, those 3 discs account for 8 games added to said backlog.

[quote name='Turbojugend']My backlog says over 150... and that's only the Xbox 360 games.

Oh well, bought Dead Island anyway. I'm sure I'll get around to playing it someday. Or not.[/QUOTE]

Phew, my backlog is well over 100 at this point, people talking about their 20-30 game backlogs as a lot were making me feel weak. Which I am.

It had a slip advertising Skyrim.(Which I have, and on the opposite side Prey 2(which I plan to get)) Other then that it had a manual, which I checked the back of that and flipped through it, and of course the game. ~_~'

[quote name='CandyCaptain']So my copy of Rage showed up today....with no sewers code. I thought gamefly included the online pass codes that were supposed to come with a new purchase of a game. Yet here I am without one. I e-mailed them earlier today and got a response already. Stating:

Which has me thinking what are they doing with all the sewer codes that were supposed to come with copies of the game. Cause HEY it say in the game, and on the psn store itself that you shouldn't have to buy it if you got it new. Which I know my purchase isn't new, but again their policy typically is to include those passes isn't it? If I had known it wouldn't include it, I would've bought the Anarchy Edition off amazon for 17 bucks. Instead of the now 10 more bucks I'll have to spend just to get sewer access. I'm gonna call tomorrow to see if this can be sorted out, it should come with the sewer "dlc"(As it was included with all copies Anarchy or not).[/QUOTE]
Unless I'm severely mistaken, the Sewer Missions DLC was only included with the Anarchy Edition. Gamefly was selling the standard edition, so it wasn't supposed to come with any DLC (no Sewer Missions, Fists of Rage, Rat Rod Buggy, Double Barreled Shotgun). A few others have confirmed on this thread that their copies of Rage from Gamefly didn't come with DLC, and were standard copies.

I'm tempted to grab Dead Island, but Gamefly put me through hell last time I tried with them. Dare I put in my CC info again just for them to reject it and tell me "We don't know why it won't work, sorry"? Then again, I just looked at Investor's album showing the chipped Gamefly discs he's received...

Makes waiting for a $10 price point a little easier of a decision. I'd risk it at that price, otherwise I think I can wait or grab the game for $5 more elsewhere chip and drama free.

Backlogs are sad. Unless you think life will get less busy (which generally it doesn't unless you are retiring!) then it is a just showing you that you don't have enough time to devote to gaming. (Which is sad but the way it is!)

I can't bear to have more than a few. Otherwise, it makes me feel like I need to spend more time that I don't have.

Was considering purchasing Dead Island but I think I'll wait, played it a bit on PC and it didn't really hold me. Thanks for the heads up though.

[quote name='ijustw1n']I don't get cags with backlogs and/or purchasing when you have a backlog. A game only drops further in price the further it gets from release, if you have a backlog then there's no reason you should purchase during any sale because 99% of the time it'll be that or lower when you can actually have time to play it. Plus, a backlog allows any games you do purchase to greatly lose value thus negating any chance of a return on purchase price if you care about trading in games.

I'd suggest all abandon backlogs or create a sophisticated logging system that would allow you to debate what position a new purchase would take in your list of games. If it would be near the top, it justifies a purchase. If it falls to the middle or low end then it can definitely wait.

I only keep 3-7 games at a time in order to prevent paying out of pocket for any video games I purchase.[/QUOTE]

ijustw1n you've inspired me to try to cut back on my backlog heh. It would only make sense on account that I don't really play many games more than once.

[quote name='sevendayrevolution']Backlogs are sad. Unless you think life will get less busy (which generally it doesn't unless you are retiring!) then it is a just showing you that you don't have enough time to devote to gaming. (Which is sad but the way it is!)

I can't bear to have more than a few. Otherwise, it makes me feel like I need to spend more time that I don't have.[/QUOTE]

It just means that I spend too much time working at my place of employment to spend as much time as I like playing video games. Either that, or I make too much money at my job (laugh). I think it is the former...heh. I already said I was a compulsive video game buyer in the $10 to $20 price range - paying 1/6 to 1/3 of the games original cost is my sweet spot I guess. I wont let my backlog get much higher than 20 though before I start banging some games out with a couple weekend sessions.

We all cant be drug dealers who sit at home all day, smoke pot, and do nothing but watch TV and play video games...that, or teenage boys living in our parents' basements. People have lives, but like to play video games too. Gotta prioritize. ;)

[quote name='ijustw1n']I don't get cags with backlogs and/or purchasing when you have a backlog. A game only drops further in price the further it gets from release, if you have a backlog then there's no reason you should purchase during any sale because 99% of the time it'll be that or lower when you can actually have time to play it. Plus, a backlog allows any games you do purchase to greatly lose value thus negating any chance of a return on purchase price if you care about trading in games.

I only keep 3-7 games at a time in order to prevent paying out of pocket for any video games I purchase.[/QUOTE]

A lot of games seem to have a maximum "low" point around the $10-15 mark, and that can usually only be found during sales. Also the older a game gets, the harder it is to find a new copy at a low price (sale or otherwise due to being out of print), and the worse condition a used copy is likely to be in.

Plus I collect and don't do the trade in thing. I don't delude myself into thinking my video game collection is an investment that will gain value so I can retire off of it - that's what my garbage pail kid card collection is for.

[quote name='waldo21212']A lot of games seem to have a maximum "low" point around the $10-15 mark, and that can usually only be found during sales. Also the older a game gets, the harder it is to find a new copy at a low price (sale or otherwise due to being out of print), and the worse condition a used copy is likely to be in.

Plus I collect and don't do the trade in thing. I don't delude myself into thinking my video game collection is an investment that will gain value so I can retire off of it - that's what my garbage pail kid card collection is for.[/QUOTE]
Very true, but not so much for used condition. You can still pop on eBay and find any classic bar REALLY old stuff and boxed Nintendo games in like new condition for a fair price. Not to mention Xbox 360 games are usually universally easy to find in mint condition because they're more common to be in the hands of adult collectors.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Very true, but not so much for used condition. You can still pop on eBay and find any classic bar REALLY old stuff and boxed Nintendo games in like new condition for a fair price. Not to mention Xbox 360 games are usually universally easy to find in mint condition because they're more common to be in the hands of adult collectors.[/QUOTE]

I only buy new (sealed) games on eBay when buying current gen. It is too much of a hassle dealing with people when the game comes in the mail and is not exactly the same condition as described. I would rather just buy it cheap from GF on sale, pay $1 to get it refinished if necessary, and be good to go. Or if it is too haggard then return it (never had to do this w/GF). Plus, I trust GF more than I do a random stranger on eBay (not to mention I can call their customer service and talk to a rep to get things sorted out if there is a problem - try do that with most eBay sellers, lol). eBay is just too much of a hassle now-a-days when other methods can be easier, cheaper, and yield much better results.

My backlog hit about 10 or 15 as of Christmas and I drastically stopped buying games. I don't know if I'm losing interest in gaming or what, but I still haven't played a lot of my them. Usually it's just sports games I've been playing lately. Would love to get around to finishing Skyrim, starting Gears 3, or trying out Saints Row 3, but I'll probably just end up selling them sooner than later

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']It just means that I spend too much time working at my place of employment to spend as much time as I like playing video games. Either that, or I make too much money at my job (laugh). I think it is the former...heh. I already said I was a compulsive video game buyer in the $10 to $20 price range - paying 1/6 to 1/3 of the games original cost is my sweet spot I guess. I wont let my backlog get much higher than 20 though before I start banging some games out with a couple weekend sessions.

We all cant be drug dealers who sit at home all day, smoke pot, and do nothing but watch TV and play video games...that, or teenage boys living in our parents' basements. People have lives, but like to play video games too. Gotta prioritize. ;)[/QUOTE]

I know man, lol. I'm the same way. If I'm unsure about a game, I'll wait until it's $10. If it sucks, I'm not too upset about it. If I paid full price, and hate it. Then I have a problem.

eBay is actually hella easy if you're keen on how to buy there. First off, only buy things that have clear pictures of the item. On GameFly you don't get any pictures. You're not going to run into any chipped discs on eBay either.

Now if something comes in bad shape on eBay, you've basically been handed the keys to the kingdom. The seller now has to make you happy or they're going to get bad feedback, which is the equivalent of the apocalypse. If they don't "accept returns", 99 times out of a 100 they will still take the item back and refund you completely. However; and trust me, this works almost every single time: you can also just ask for a partial refund on your item. Be reasonable and the seller will usually jump on the offer. You can get games for dirt cheap this way; only if the condition is clearly misrepresented though; don't be a douchebag.

For certain deals though I can totally understand why GameFly can be preferable (especially if you luck out with a mint copy), but oftentimes you can get the same game for a few bucks more without any guesswork on the condition of the game (not to mention you can SEE it, which is a valuable asset to have).

I definitely don't need to buy any more games... But dead island is tempting for $15.... Any speculation on another price drop or is $15 kinda the buy in point?

[quote name='Idiotekque']eBay is actually hella easy if you're keen on how to buy there. First off, only buy things that have clear pictures of the item. On GameFly you don't get any pictures. You're not going to run into any chipped discs on eBay either.

Now if something comes in bad shape on eBay, you've basically been handed the keys to the kingdom. The seller now has to make you happy or they're going to get bad feedback, which is the equivalent of the apocalypse. If they don't "accept returns", 99 times out of a 100 they will still take the item back and refund you completely. However; and trust me, this works almost every single time: you can also just ask for a partial refund on your item. Be reasonable and the seller will usually jump on the offer. You can get games for dirt cheap this way; only if the condition is clearly misrepresented though; don't be a douchebag.

For certain deals though I can totally understand why GameFly can be preferable (especially if you luck out with a mint copy), but oftentimes you can get the same game for a few bucks more without any guesswork on the condition of the game (not to mention you can SEE it, which is a valuable asset to have).[/QUOTE]

Never thought about that, but you do have a point. I have never been one to hold a seller hostage for feedback, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get the seller to make things right sometimes. I have been dicked around with a few times by sellers on eBay and got tired of dealing with it. There have been a couple occasions where I couldnt even get ahold of the seller to let them know there was a problem to begin with - I would click the link to message the seller and eBay would come back with an error in a blue box telling me I couldnt message this person for some reason or another. Some sellers are obviously better than others though.

I will remember your advice on buying stuff with pictures. I usually go off of written description and if pics are there, then great.

I started up dead island on 360 for the first time today. It froze about 20 minutes in. There was only a 3mb patch to download. Did they ever fix this game or is it still buggy as fuck.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']Never thought about that, but you do have a point. I have never been one to hold a seller hostage for feedback, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get the seller to make things right sometimes. I have been dicked around with a few times by sellers on eBay and got tired of dealing with it. There have been a couple occasions where I couldnt even get ahold of the seller to let them know there was a problem to begin with - I would click the link to message the seller and eBay would come back with an error in a blue box telling me I couldnt message this person for some reason or another. Some sellers are obviously better than others though.

I will remember your advice on buying stuff with pictures. I usually go off of written description and if pics are there, then great.[/QUOTE]
Hm, not sure what's the deal with the messaging. I've never run across that. Usually sellers will respond because they're screwed on feedback otherwise. For example I got a PSP bundle for a great price, but the PSP was advertised as being "always kept in a case, adult owned" etc; descriptors that are clearly saying "this thing is in damn fine shape". When I got it, the screen had more hairline scratches than it should have had, a lot of scratching on the silver ring on the back, and a slight crack in the body of the PSP. Nothing drastic, but severe enough to upset me. I asked for a $20 partial refund and I got it within the day.

So you're not always going to get minty stuff, but when things go badly on your end that sometimes ends up working out to your benefit. In any other case, if the seller doesn't respond, open a case with eBay. eBay will side with the buyer almost every time unless the seller has VERY clear information and pictures proving his case absolutely, and they're pretty timely about it from what I hear.

Their customer service may blow, but the buyer protection program doesn't.

This

[quote name='Drclaw411']My wishlist for tomorrow: LBP2 GOTY, Twisted Metal, and SSX (360 or PS3).[/QUOTE]

I know I am in the minority, but all I want is Goldeneye Reloaded.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']I only buy new (sealed) games on eBay when buying current gen. It is too much of a hassle dealing with people when the game comes in the mail and is not exactly the same condition as described. I would rather just buy it cheap from GF on sale, pay $1 to get it refinished if necessary, and be good to go. Or if it is too haggard then return it (never had to do this w/GF). Plus, I trust GF more than I do a random stranger on eBay (not to mention I can call their customer service and talk to a rep to get things sorted out if there is a problem - try do that with most eBay sellers, lol). eBay is just too much of a hassle now-a-days when other methods can be easier, cheaper, and yield much better results.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I ordered a game on ebay and it was so poorly packaged that the case was damaged, artwork torn and disk scratched when I received it. It was listed as very good. Now the seller is saying that he won't pay for return shipping and what not.

One (probably delusional) way I justify my large backlog is that I don't plan on jumping into the next generation of consoles until at least a year (if not 2 or more) after their release, so that should give me a good amount of time to catch up on my backlog.

[quote name='Optical']How long does it take to get the games? How do they ship them?[/QUOTE]

They ship them from a warehouse as close to you as possible, depending on where it's in stock. They use USPS First-Class, so expect it to take 5 business days worst case if your location and the warehouse are on opposite ends of the country.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Seriously, I ordered a game on ebay and it was so poorly packaged that the case was damaged, artwork torn and disk scratched when I received it. It was listed as very good. Now the seller is saying that he won't pay for return shipping and what not.[/QUOTE]
Funny, I've gotten loads of used games in bubble envelopes with no protection whatsoever and they've come in perfect shape every time.

In any case, if he's refusing to refund you, he's in the wrong. The seller is responsible for damage during transit, so all you have to do is to open a case with eBay and you'll win hands down.

bread's done
Back