Gamefly Daily Deals - Cities XL 2012 $13.59, Expansion $5.10 (PC)

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
All used games in the sale come with free shipping. Games come complete with manual, case, and online passes.
(If you don't see an option to BUY the game but only to RENT it along with "keep for $$$" on its page, than it is no longer available for purchase without a subscription as they currently only have enough copies marked for rental purposes. Be sure to check back in on this thread or the site itself as titles do come back in stock. In my experience, games get restocked around 10AM - 2PM EDT but YMMV.)

:pc:Cities XL 2012 $13.59
:pc:Cities XL 2012 Expansion $5.10

This post is wikified, feel free to update as new deals come out.

Link to Gamefly's twitter feed
Link to Gamefly's store page, sorted by price/free shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
The chipped disc issue has not been my personal experience. I've bought at least a dozen games from GF in the past year and they've all been fine (MY definition of fine - no major visible wear and is playable). I don't buy used from anywhere else now. Sorry for those who report a negative experience with GF games, but I don't seem to be able to understand because I have not had that experience in over 4 years of buying from them.

They have the best prices around, great service and (for me) incredible reliability. I will continue to buy tons of games from them.

I only post this so that those with no experience with GF have the full spectrum of opinion.

Probably best that those with "chipped disc sensitivity" stop buying used or just stop buying from GF altogether and leave their sales for the rest of us. You certainly shouldn't buy used games if you're a collector looking for a certain level of quality unless you can inspect the disc prior to purchase.

I am always amazed by how many people love to whine and complain about everything. This is the downfall of soceity, everyone is so fucking entitled.

Mods will delete this post, but i dont care. :)

[quote name='ijustw1n']As a PS3 gamer, never had an issue with gf purchases. Just ANOTHER reason ps3 is better.[/QUOTE]

Thats ok while you wait 20+ mins to play your game that requires a mandatory install I will be enjoying it on my 360 :lol:

[quote name='ijustw1n']As a PS3 gamer, never had an issue with gf purchases. Just ANOTHER reason ps3 is better.[/QUOTE]

Fanboi much brokitten ?

Durabis. It's a patent held by Sony that they coat all bluray discs with to help prevent damage.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Thats ok while you wait 20+ mins to play your game that requires a mandatory install I will be enjoying it on my 360 :lol:[/QUOTE]

A small drawback for free online multiplayer.

I have bought tons of games from gamefly and they have been in mint to very good condition.

I think if chipped games are an issue to you, you shouldn't buy used games anywhere.

On topic: Where are the sales?? I looked through the last couple pages and found nothing but crying

Why the hell? I have purchased 100 of used games over the last 20+ years, and none of them are chipped until Gamefly. People purchase used games and special editions for a number of different reasons such as for their collections all the time. Some people like to be able to trade their used games. That comment of yours about people shouldn't be buying used games if they don't want or like chips in them is arrogant, ignorant and very elitest. It's just plain ugly, and a slap to the face for those of us who have gotten these chipped discs from Gamefly. You of all people, with your 79 trades, should know better.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']I have bought tons of games from gamefly and they have been in mint to very good condition.

I think if chipped games are an issue to you, you shouldn't buy used games anywhere.

On topic: Where are the sales?? I looked through the last couple pages and found nothing but crying[/QUOTE]

I love this chipped disc war. It's so full of the absurdity of life that I appreciate.

I collect used prophylactics that were in use at brothels and I'm always shocked when there's a hole in one. WTF? I paid 30 cents for these!

Actually, I got an unplayable PS3 game from GameFly before. The center spindle section of the disc was cracked. How that passed quality assurance is beyond me.

The chipped discs typically work, but it would be nice if GameFly could find a way to resolve an issue that has been going on for a long time now.

[quote name='wrencrest']I am always amazed by how many people love to whine and complain about everything. This is the downfall of soceity, everyone is so fucking entitled.

Mods will delete this post, but i dont care. :)[/QUOTE]

^This +1. Thank you for bringing proper perspective to this discussion. There is a clear method of customer service for GF. I checked my account, and have ordered 9 discs from GF. Every single disc played properly in my 360 or PS3. They will continue to get my business.

I've only purchased four games from gamefly so far, but... All of them were cheaper than I could get anywhere else, they all shipped super fast, had their guts (unlike other used resellers) and had no signs of wear. I'll continue to give them my business as well.

I agree with folks who think chipped discs that still play are shitty.

I agree with folks who think that the discussion of damaged discs can go in another forum.

I searched "free shipping" on GF. Deus Ex popped up so I added it to my cart and proceeded to checkout only to find that it did NOT have free shipping! I am FURIOUS!

Not really, just closed the browser window.

[quote name='Rozz']The chipped discs typically work, but it would be nice if GameFly could find a way to resolve an issue that has been going on for a long time now.[/QUOTE]

I think the key here is that the chipped discs almost always work. It's a cosmetic issue, and a pretty minor one.

The only way to fix it would be to reinforce their mailers, which would increase the cost of the mailers themselves as well as the shipping costs. Every used game you're buying has been shipped multiple times in multiple mailers, so this cost would compound. Even if it's only a few cents, it would be a sizable cost increase for them. They'd have to redesign (and re-manufacture) their mailers, and re-negotiate their rates with the USPS. All just to resolve a minor cosmetic issue with some of their games once they're sold off used.

I don't see them fixing it any time soon. They already offer some of the best prices on used games, especially considering that the cases come mint and with DLC. Their used game sales aren't their major revenue source, simply a method of clearing out excess inventory. And it already succeeds, they sell through everything pretty quickly. They've no incentive to add costs as they have no trouble selling the excess as-is.

Just got my game. It shipped in 2 days from Pittsburgh. There are no chips but the game does have scratches. Nothing horrible and I've gotten discs from Gamestop that have worse scratches so no big deal. First time using Gamefly and overall im happy...defintely going to sign up for there rental service.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']Durabis. It's a patent held by Sony that they coat all bluray discs with to help prevent damage.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately that coating only helps prevent scratches; not chips. PS3 gamers have time and again received chipped discs from GameFly as well.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']I think if chipped games are an issue to you, you shouldn't buy used games anywhere.[/QUOTE]
That's kind of a silly statement, since GameFly is literally the only retailer who sends chipped discs.

[quote name='Kniq']I agree with folks who think that the discussion of damaged discs can go in another forum.[/QUOTE]
The discussion is here because not only is it on-topic (this is the GameFly thread after all), it's so that new buyers can see what they're getting into ahead of time.

[quote name='fujimitsu']I think the key here is that the chipped discs almost always work. It's a cosmetic issue, and a pretty minor one.

The only way to fix it would be to reinforce their mailers, which would increase the cost of the mailers themselves as well as the shipping costs. Every used game you're buying has been shipped multiple times in multiple mailers, so this cost would compound. Even if it's only a few cents, it would be a sizable cost increase for them. They'd have to redesign (and re-manufacture) their mailers, and re-negotiate their rates with the USPS. All just to resolve a minor cosmetic issue with some of their games once they're sold off used.

I don't see them fixing it any time soon. They already offer some of the best prices on used games, especially considering that the cases come mint and with DLC. Their used game sales aren't their major revenue source, simply a method of clearing out excess inventory. And it already succeeds, they sell through everything pretty quickly. They've no incentive to add costs as they have no trouble selling the excess as-is.[/QUOTE]
Well one, calling chipped discs a "minor" and "cosmetic" issue is very subjective. Chipped discs can put extra labor on your disc drive, and beyond that it's a fairly serious form of damage (even if it plays fine). A piece of the disc is literally missing. By your reasoning, I could draw all over the top of a disc with sharpie (hell, let's just put my name on it) and since it would still play, you'd call it a "minor cosmetic issue". Now I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I think a lot of people here would be rather miffed if a company stated sending out discs with sharpie writing all over them. Of course if that's just your opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. Just saying.

As for your comments about the mailers causing the damage, I have to chime in that that is not the reason behind the chips. I've been a Netflix subscriber for years, and not once have I ever received a chipped disc (and Netflix mailers are VERY chintzy). GameFly discs are chipped during the resurfacing process, and judging from the frequency of good versus bad discs coming from certain distribution centers, that fact has generally been confirmed.

Let's everyone hit up and post in every Gamestop thread, everyday, and inform them that "No cases, no manuals, no DLC codes or online passes, and scratched discs FTL"

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Let's everyone hit up and post in every Gamestop thread, everyday, and inform them that "No cases, no manuals, no DLC codes or online passes, and scratched discs FTL"[/QUOTE]

We do!

[quote name='Investor']Why the hell? I have purchased 100 of used games over the last 20+ years, and none of them are chipped until Gamefly. People purchase used games and special editions for a number of different reasons such as for their collections all the time. Some people like to be able to trade their used games. That comment of yours about people shouldn't be buying used games if they don't want or like chips in them is arrogant, ignorant and very elitest. It's just plain ugly, and a slap to the face for those of us who have gotten these chipped discs from Gamefly. You of all people, with your 79 trades, should know better.[/QUOTE]

It's ignorant and elitist to expect some wear and tear from used games? Especially from a rental service where the copy probably made it into the hands of quite a few people? Gamefly offers pretty good prices, probably with this in mind. If you aren't satisfied, there are plenty of other services that offer used games. Dry those eyes and vote with your dollar if chipped games are a concern for you.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
Well one, calling chipped discs a "minor" and "cosmetic" issue is very subjective. Chipped discs can put extra labor on your disc drive, and beyond that it's a fairly serious form of damage (even if it plays fine). A piece of the disc is literally missing. By your reasoning, I could draw all over the top of a disc with sharpie (hell, let's just put my name on it) and since it would still play, you'd call it a "minor cosmetic issue". Now I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I think a lot of people here would be rather miffed if a company stated sending out discs with sharpie writing all over them. Of course if that's just your opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. Just saying.

As for your comments about the mailers causing the damage, I have to chime in that that is not the reason behind the chips. I've been a Netflix subscriber for years, and not once have I ever received a chipped disc (and Netflix mailers are VERY chintzy). GameFly discs are chipped during the resurfacing process, and judging from the frequency of good versus bad discs coming from certain distribution centers, that fact has generally been confirmed.[/QUOTE]

All of my chipped discs if I have gotten any chips have been cosmetic. Also just want to say that I have gotten chipped disks from Netflix every now and again but not arguing against your assessment, just giving my experience.

Anyway, there should just be a message in OP saying that Gamefly disks can come with these chips and that should be it. Then anyone that was expecting their pristine rented out disks could just leave and I wouldn't have to wade through tons and tons of chipped disk comments every time I try to read this thread.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
That's kind of a silly statement, since GameFly is literally the only retailer who sends chipped discs.
[/QUOTE]
Unless they do things completely different online, I've gotten multiple chipped discs when buying used at Gamestop. So no, Gamefly is not the only one selling chipped discs.

Personally I don't give a fuck as long as the game runs fine.

[quote name='Saablic']All of my chipped discs if I have gotten any chips have been cosmetic. Also just want to say that I have gotten chipped disks from Netflix every now and again but not arguing against your assessment, just giving my experience.

Anyway, there should just be a message in OP saying that Gamefly disks can come with these chips and that should be it. Then anyone that was expecting their pristine rented out disks could just leave and I wouldn't have to wade through tons and tons of chipped disk comments every time I try to read this thread.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LifeMakesMeLOL']Unless they do things completely different online, I've gotten multiple chipped discs when buying used at Gamestop. So no, Gamefly is not the only one selling chipped discs.

Personally I don't give a fuck as long as the game runs fine.[/QUOTE]

QFT :applause:.

[quote name='LifeMakesMeLOL']Unless they do things completely different online, I've gotten multiple chipped discs when buying used at Gamestop. So no, Gamefly is not the only one selling chipped discs.

Perhaps the chipped discs you got at Gamestop were traded in by people that bought them from gamefly?????

:shock:

holy bloody hell... are people still complaining about chipped discs? dont like chipped discs do ya? then buy ur games somewhere else, is that so fucking hard to comprehend?

[quote name='jjjbadboy32']Perhaps the chipped discs you got at Gamestop were traded in by people that bought them from gamefly?????

:shock:[/QUOTE]

But, but, but, I thought part of the complaints were Gamestop won't take a chipped disc?

[quote name='Saablic']Anyway, there should just be a message in OP saying that Gamefly disks can come with these chips and that should be it. Then anyone that was expecting their pristine rented out disks could just leave and I wouldn't have to wade through tons and tons of chipped disk comments every time I try to read this thread.[/QUOTE]
Very true; the OP should state the facts. The problem is that this topic was generally created because CheapyD was slow to update his official one (thus this is the official one now), and in the original topic CheapyD described GameFly discs as coming in "excellent condition". Thus sparked the chipped disc war that continues to flare up now and then.

Telling people to stop talking about something so "you" don't have to deal with a minor inconvenience is a little asinine though. Sorry.

[quote name='DeilGyre']Came here to read about GameFly deals, stepped into a 'Chipped Disk' system war instead.[/QUOTE]
Funny thing is is that it really hasn't been an issue for awhile now. People have been posting up their experiences such as "Got a disc from Pittsburgh with chips.", "Got a disc from LA in mint condition.", all the while some new buyers came in and asked some questions, people discussed signing up to "keep" Catherine due to it's limited availability, some (including me) discussed the different distribution centers and their record of disc quality, etc etc.

Things were calm and nice (for once). Then what happened? A couple asshats decided to jump in and scream "OMFG STOP TALKING ABOUT CHIPPED DISCS LEAVE NOW" and now everyone seems to be bitching about something. "Chipped discs FTL", "go away if you don't like chipped discs", "stop talking about chipped discs because I don't want to see it", etc etc.

The problem is much less some on-topic, calm discussion about receiving chipped or mint discs than it is idiots coming in here flipping out about those discussions. The common remark is "If you don't like chipped discs GTFO of here.", but right back at them "If you don't want to see people talking about chipped discs GTFO of here yourself."

Honestly people just like to overreact on this forum. I find it funny. It's comments like this one that just fan the flames:
[quote name='exaznkid']holy bloody hell... are people still complaining about chipped discs? dont like chipped discs do ya? then buy ur games somewhere else, is that so fucking hard to comprehend?[/QUOTE]
Such is CAG.

I have never seen one chipped disc in 15+ years of going to GameStop. Scratched the hell up? Of course. Chipped? Not once. I am sorry if you've run into that (that sucks), but you can't blame me for feeling like you're just making that up to make a point.

As for not caring if it runs fine or not; that's fine and that's your choice. A lot of people don't feel that way though. I personally like buying used games for good prices in good condition. Am I picky? Sure, and that's my right. It's also the right of anyone else who hops onto this thread without knowing what they're getting into.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I downloaded FIFA 12 but the file had chips around the edges. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]
Start a new thread for chipped files OMG. I don't wanna wade through all these posts about chipped files when I come to this thread to read about chipped discs! :bomb:

I received my copy of Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2012 from GF today. The disc has a few small chips on the edges and there appeared to be some white buffing compound reside on the label-side of the disc around the edge. I cleaned the crude off edge of the disc with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. The data side of the disc has some hair-line scratches that were probably from be run through a polishing/buffering machine. Overall, the game came in good condition. It was shipped from the Pittsburgh center. It is a fun, easy, and enjoyable game so far. I'll probably finish it over the weekend and then sell it to Best Buy for the 2x promo. It's going for $7 base so $14 double, which is pretty good considering it only cost $8 from GF. Best Buy wants $25 for a used copy of it. Also, I should be receiving Battlefield 3 in the mail tomorrow.

What are you guys using your 20% coupon from the Summer sale on? It works on preorders, but Darksiders 2 has already been $40 or less. Think Borderlands 2 will be $48 or less anywhere else?

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Catherine where are you????[/QUOTE]

Gone for now, better be here as soon as its up next time its on sale.

[quote name='thefinal87']Gone for now, better be here as soon as its up next time its on sale.[/QUOTE]

Man, love the captain knuckles pic. I missed catherine on sale every single time cause of my lack of $$$$, but now that I have $$$$ bring on catherine. Any news on when console games go back on sale?

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Man, love the captain knuckles pic. I missed catherine on sale every single time cause of my lack of $$$$, but now that I have $$$$ bring on catherine. Any news on when console games go back on sale?[/QUOTE]

Lol, I love Knuckles, he made the show hilarious. I gave up on buying it regularly and just used my free trial to rent Catherine and then bought it. I don't think they ever restocked it after it went on sale.

Just checkout out my 1st review for Catherine and damn how could I miss on such a great game. Bi am not much of a pusszle gamer but will surly give this game a shot.

One question are any of puzzles/boss fights time base or do any of them have time restrictions?

[quote name='showtimefolks']Just checkout out my 1st review for Catherine and damn how could I miss on such a great game. Bi am not much of a pusszle gamer but will surly give this game a shot.

One question are any of puzzles/boss fights time base or do any of them have time restrictions?[/QUOTE]

They're basically all time based because when you're doing the puzzles, the blocks at the bottom keep falling off, so if you take too much time, you'll fall with the bottom blocks and die. And if the bosses catch up to you while you're doing the puzzles, they'll kill you as well.

Hi, am I allowed to post to this thread if it is about something other than a chipped disc? Okay I'll just say my thing and leave and then you can all get back to it.

So earlier I posted about how my Halo Anniversary from GF didn't include the slipcover over the case (completist freak, yes I am). GF sent me another one and... it didn't have it either. So I explained to them exactly what the slipcover was, and sent them a picture.

Now they say they are sending me a third one, hopefully with slipcover this time, as well as another Assassin's Creed Rev which arrived kind of dinged up, and which I originally wasn't going to even comment on, but the second missing Halo slipcover annoyed me, so I did. I offered to return the extra cases but they said I didn't have to. Confirming my suspicions that GF makes enough money off rentals that they don't have to care about such things.

Long story less long, I'm going to end up with a number of extra DLC codes. Watch the freebie forum, as I shall be sharing them.

bread's done
Back