Gamefly is a horrible service

d_south_cr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I quit after a month of having them because everything was so slow and everything new was hard to get. This was almost a year ago.

Today, I logged in to see if everything is smoother and easier to get now. I looked at a few newer games. La Noire was Available Now, Dirt 3 was High, Brink and Portal 2 was both medium. I was like hell if everything is working smoother and I will get games easier now I will rejoin.

So I did. I went to go try to rent LA Noire and now not more than 5mins later it the Availability dropped to Very Low. Dirt 3 to Medium and Portal and Brink to Low.

So they lie so people will rejoin them by showing them as High Availability but once you rejoin everything drops... Well I will be canceling once again after this month.

[quote name='yesiamaplant']Your mom is a horrible service.[/QUOTE]

You sister has a pretty good service. She's great with her feet.

On a serious note, sad to see Gamefly hasn't changed since I left in 2007, even with the 3-5 service centers they've added. If I wanted to wait 6 months to get a new game I'd go with Goozex, oh wait, already do that. :)

If you have an empty slot in your Q when a new release comes out you will get it every time. If you live near a distribution center you usually will get those new releases on Tuesday. Below is my rental history for this year. I could have easily gotten LA Noire as well, but I bought it instead. Gamefly will be a godsend next month because I will get Alice, Duke Nukem, Red Faction, Fear and Dungeon Siege.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge
Brink
Mortal Kombat
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Ridge Racer 3D
Homefront
Dragon Age II
Killzone 3
Bulletstorm
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
Two Worlds II
Dead Space 2

[quote name='jkanownik']If you have an empty slot in your Q when a new release comes out you will get it every time. If you live near a distribution center you usually will get those new releases on Tuesday. Below is my rental history for this year. I could have easily gotten LA Noire as well, but I bought it instead. Gamefly will be a godsend next month because I will get Alice, Duke Nukem, Red Faction, Fear and Dungeon Siege.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this. To get the most out of the service you really just need to know how to use it.

What I can't stand about Gamefly is how long it takes just for a damn game to show up to my house. I used to subscribe, but in a month, I would only get about four games because I had to wait so long. One time, Netflix and Gamefly shipped on the same day...by the time the games showed up, Netflix had already arrived, I watched the movies, sent them back, and then received more movies, watched them, and shipped them back. The day they were picked up was the same day that the games arrived. And the Netflix shipping center is twice as far!

I've had Mortal kombat in my instant queue for 2 months and it's been on low since it came out. My next billing is the 17th if I don't get Duke Nukem on the 16th I'm going to just cancel. =/

Games are more expensive than movies so Gamefly has less shipping centers than Netflix and less copies of games than Netflix has of movies. Also, 4 in a month isn't bad. I usually get 3 and I think that's pretty great, I only send them back when I'm done, too.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Games are more expensive than movies so Gamefly has less shipping centers than Netflix and less copies of games than Netflix has of movies. Also, 4 in a month isn't bad. I usually get 3 and I think that's pretty great, I only send them back when I'm done, too.[/QUOTE]
For the price they charge, I think 4 is horrible. I would personally rather just buy the games if I'm going to have to pay that much money anyway. When I subscribed to Blockbuster, I paid about half as much and was getting 8 or so games per month and there weren't any long waiting lines. They didn't have as big of a selection, but their service and speed were immensely better, and I could return games in person...all for a notably cheaper price.

I understand that Gamefly doesn't have the means to provide what I consider to be quality service, but that doesn't make it excusable. Not for me anyway. With cheaper and faster services available, they'll have to step up their game soon. At this point, even Redbox sounds a lot more appealing.

[quote name='Kasama']I heard his sister makes double because she has no teeth.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who'd pay double for that has more money than they deserve. My sister is a horrible ugly pork beast.

I dunno, their service isn't that bad honestly. As already mentioned, just have the new game and an empty slot open on the Monday before the game is actually released and you'll get it about 100% of the time (at least I have with Portal 2, Lego Pirates and L.A Noire). The restock every Sunday it seems so chances are you might get it the next Monday. I had it years ago and was able to get a bunch of games still, even new releases, without a problem. Regardless, beats paying $40+ for a game.

[quote name='jkanownik']If you have an empty slot in your Q when a new release comes out you will get it every time. If you live near a distribution center you usually will get those new releases on Tuesday. Below is my rental history for this year. I could have easily gotten LA Noire as well, but I bought it instead. Gamefly will be a godsend next month because I will get Alice, Duke Nukem, Red Faction, Fear and Dungeon Siege.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge
Brink
Mortal Kombat
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Ridge Racer 3D
Homefront
Dragon Age II
Killzone 3
Bulletstorm
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
Two Worlds II
Dead Space 2[/QUOTE]

I thought it was you had to have only the game u want in your queue because if u had multiple games in there you would be at the back of the line.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I thought it was you had to have only the game u want in your queue because if u had multiple games in there you would be at the back of the line.[/QUOTE]
I don't think so, I never clear out my Queue completely and still get the new stuff.

You can't really blame them for the shipping delay. If a game is only available in the California center and you live on the east coast then 5 days is how long the USPS takes to deliver it; that's just how bad the post office sucks.

They've been great for me. When I sent back the two games I had, I got Virtua Tennis 4 and Dirt 3 this week despite both being low/medium when my returns arrived.

yeah. unless you live within a few hours of a distribution center, gamefly is terrible with new or popular games. thats why i'm glad that redbox is putting video games in all kiosks in june.

I had better success my first time with GF. But when I signed up again last year, similar thing happened OP - games that were marked as Available or High Availability turned into Low Availability once my free month was up. Also, their shipping had gotten decidedly slower, even though I'm in Los Angeles. Turnaround time from me sending a game to getting a new one was 7 days TWICE within that month, even though I had a well populated queue sprinkled with new and old titles.

They'll need to offer a free month somewhere down the road for me to even consider them again.

Redbox has had games for a few months now in my area; I thought they had already added them everywhere. They don't have a large selection, but what they do have is pretty decent:
http://www.redbox.com/games

$2 for one night isn't a great price, but it's nice to have a way to rent games at 3 AM if you ever need to.

GameFly isn't for everyone, but I love it. I don't care that I can't play everything right away. Hell, Redbox is getting new games that I can try out on a whim if I want. I split 4 games with my brother and am with so much out there to play, I don't mind waiting anyway.

There's some things you can do to better your chances for newer games, but at the end of the day, there's so much to play anyway.

Gamefly is pretty bad. I remember reading somewhere that members who have been on it longer got priority when it came to new releases, which if true, sucks.

In my short time with it I learned that you need to add games to your queue the moment they are posted to the site if you want to have a chance at playing it when it comes out. We're talking so early that it has no box art or release date.

Yeah, I wasn't very happy during there 15-day trial period. Delivery was far to slow. And they didn't have the new games (games that have been out for about a month) available. Redbox is going to be providing games soon in my area, so I'll rent from them instead.

I definitely understand how the service could vary for different people. I used gamefly for about a year, and since I live about 1 hour from a distribution center, games were delivered within 2-3 days of me dropping the previous game in a mailbox.

I almost always got the new games I wanted. I would clear my queue completely, and just add the game I wanted. Once the game shipped, I added the other games back in.

If they haven't already they will be opening a new distribution center in Seattle very soon which should be a big help for those out west and particularly the Pacific Northwest.

I have had the GF service for a few years now and I think it is a good value. I use it as a supplement to get games and it is not my sole source of games. A 1 year membership costs $150. If I average 2 games/month I can play 24 games in a year. If I purchased those games and assumed an average cost of $20/game it would cost me $480/year.

The longer you are with GF the better the discount on used games and they give you $5/quarter to spend on the used games. I use the rental service to get new games on occasion, and to try games I'm not sure about (Brink). I get cheap used games from them to fill in the gaps while I am waiting for my rental games to arrive. For me, it is a good system that works.

I feel like I chime in on every Gamefly topic. Anyway I have been with Gamefly for years now. Shipping isn't the fastest. It usually takes 2-3 days for them to get the game and 2 more for me to get a new one.

As others have mentioned before if you know how to free up a slot before a new release comes out then you will get that new release. Using this technique I get new games about 95% of the time.

Considering how many games I get from them, Gamefly is very worth it. I only pay $60 for games that I know I have to have or ones that have a strong multiplayer component.

And as an added bonus long time members get 10% off games they rent if they choose to purchase them. I should have infamous 2 now, and I can keep it for 44.99. But considering how i will be finished with the game in about a week I will just send it back and get something else, as I did with Infamous 1.

[quote name='smokeyjoey8']Gamefly is pretty bad. I remember reading somewhere that members who have been on it longer got priority when it came to new releases, which if true, sucks.

In my short time with it I learned that you need to add games to your queue the moment they are posted to the site if you want to have a chance at playing it when it comes out. We're talking so early that it has no box art or release date.[/QUOTE]
So you expect them to cater to the newbies who are likely on their free month trial from one of the bajillion codes out there now versus someone who has been PAYING THEM for years of service?:roll:

Now why would they wanna do THAT?:booty:

[quote name='MSUHitman']On a serious note, sad to see Gamefly hasn't changed since I left in 2007, even with the 3-5 service centers they've added. If I wanted to wait 6 months to get a new game I'd go with Goozex, oh wait, already do that. :)[/QUOTE]

Goozex has been pretty shitty for me the past year. Haven't had any of my wants sent to me for a while now.

Gamefly has been fine for me. It did take them a few days to send me out LA Noire but I got it.

[quote name='yesiamaplant']Your mom is a horrible service.[/QUOTE]
trollface.jpg

[quote name='smokeyjoey8']Gamefly is pretty bad. I remember reading somewhere that members who have been on it longer got priority when it came to new releases, which if true, sucks.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's the reverse. If you sign up they guarantee you get any game you want right away.

That makes sense considering they want new clients. They need a good first impression, and could proably care less about existing clients.

I'm back and forth with Gamefly. On one hand, they have a great service that saves gamers money. On the other hand, their shipping, especially to MN, is abysmal, at least, the last time I used it around (2006?) with about a 3-5 day turnaround time. That is unacceptable, in my opinion. Netflix can turn around discs in 1-2 days, why not Gamefly?

You can always borrow from friends (That's not always reliable either), or see how redboxes system works too, I guess, but I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='2DMention'] Netflix can turn around discs in 1-2 days, why not Gamefly?.[/QUOTE]

Well that is pretty obvious. Netflix has a distribution center in every state, sometimes more than one. Gamefly has about 4-5 for the whole country. So of course netflix is faster. Depending on the game you may not receive it from the nearest shipping center to you either.

Been using https://www.gamehuddle.com for a few months and I highly recommend them.Cost 5 dollars for the first five days,40 cents after.But because they charge per day I got to poop sock the game I rent or else it cost me money.It's great for new releases...sometimes.Better than Redbox's $2 a night.You can send in your crappy games and they'll make money for you.Great way to subsidize your rentals.

[quote name='mrx001']Been using https://www.gamehuddle.com for a few months and I highly recommend them.Cost 5 dollars for the first five days,40 cents after.But because they charge per day I got to poop sock the game I rent or else it cost me money.It's great for new releases...sometimes.Better than Redbox's $2 a night.You can send in your crappy games and they'll make money for you.Great way to subsidize your rentals.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't you just use Goozex or one of the other game trading sites though? And what happens if a game you're sharing(and getting paid for hopefully) gets lost or completely destroyed by some idiot who doesn't give a shit about other people's stuff?

Do they replace your now destroyed/missing game or at least pay you for it?:whistle2:# I would hope so.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Why wouldn't you just use Goozex or one of the other game trading sites though? And what happens if a game you're sharing(and getting paid for hopefully) gets lost or completely destroyed by some idiot who doesn't give a shit about other people's stuff?

Do they replace your now destroyed/missing game or at least pay you for it?:whistle2:# I would hope so.[/QUOTE]
They're suppose to compensate you for your lost or damaged games. I send in my crappy games so I don't really care if one gets lost or damaged.So far that hasn't happened yet.The most you can earn with one game is $10 a month.

[quote name='d_south_cr']I quit after a month of having them because everything was so slow and everything new was hard to get. This was almost a year ago.

Today, I logged in to see if everything is smoother and easier to get now. I looked at a few newer games. La Noire was Available Now, Dirt 3 was High, Brink and Portal 2 was both medium. I was like hell if everything is working smoother and I will get games easier now I will rejoin.

So I did. I went to go try to rent LA Noire and now not more than 5mins later it the Availability dropped to Very Low. Dirt 3 to Medium and Portal and Brink to Low.

So they lie so people will rejoin them by showing them as High Availability but once you rejoin everything drops... Well I will be canceling once again after this month.[/QUOTE]

I've been a Gamefly subscriber pretty much since the beginning, and I'll definitely agree that the service has taken a big turn for the worse lately. Not only does it take forever for a current release to come back into stock if you missed getting it shipped on the first day (I can honestly say that only once did I have an open slot on the day before a game I wanted came out and they didn't ship it), but ever since they started selling new games/taking pre-orders, the Gamefly used store has become a wasteland.

On the subject of the availability messages you mentioned, it may not have anything to do with the fact that you weren't a member and then joined. If you take a look at your queue, you'll see that for some bizarre reason, often at night those games that are "very low", "low", etc seem to jump back to "Available Now" and then change back to their original settings by the next morning. Not sure if it's a glitch caused by something in their inventory system or multiple shipping centers, but I do agree it's annoying as all hell.

Came home from work last night and Alice Returns and Duke Nukem were both sitting in the mailbox just as I expected them to be. It's always one day service in the LA area.

who the F*** do i complain to about this? i have the two game plan, i sent back game 1 and they didn't receive it until i sent back game 2. on the site people say they do it all the time. yet for a week and a half they didnt accept my game but once i gave them game 2 walla they got game 1.

now i have to wait for these stupid "low" games to ship to me. and im not putting 5 games in my Q because they will give me the one im least interested in.

Why wouldn't you just use Goozex or one of the other game trading sites though? And what happens if a game you're sharing(and getting paid for hopefully) gets lost or completely destroyed by some idiot who doesn't give a shit about other people's stuff?

I'm leery of using it, and you get more control over things when you buy a game and just ebay when you're done.

I know I know.. ebay has its pratfalls, but it seems to work well for me.

bread's done
Back