GameFly Subscription GC sale - effectively half price at $22.95/2 mo./2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucket2222

CAGiversary!
GameFly is offering discounted gift certificates for subscriptions to their rental service. http://www.gamefly.com/Gift-Certificate/Buy

Although gift certificates for the various subscription plans appear to be discounted, the clear best deal by my estimation is the 2 games out for 2 months for $22.95. $22.95 is the current regular price for a 1-month 2 games out subscription, making this effectively half price.

I have long used these gift certificates to pay for my own subscription to GameFly by e-mailing the gift certificates to myself and redeeming them. The price for the 2-game/2-month certificate has ranged from $27.95-$29.95 over the last year. The current holiday deal lowers the monthly cost of a 2-game plan to $11.48. This is better than the previous regular price of $13.98-$14.98 per month using GCs, and much better than the regular costs of $22.95 per month.

The e-mail announcing the sale says there's a limit of 5 gift certificate purchases per account. Presumably, this just means 5 at the sale price, as I've redeemed about eight 2-month gift certificates to date. One can have redeemed gift certificates lined up that will automatically be redeemed for future renewals.

Threads about GameFly deals often devolve into debates about strategies for/effectiveness of the service in getting the best games at launch. For my part, I love the service and have used it successfully to get some (but not every one I've wanted) hot launch titles and kids games for which I can't bring myself to pay full price, even though my kids want them shortly after they're released.

[quote name='guyver2077']ughh so confused about this..

I am a current subscriber for years now.. will this save me anything on the monthly price?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

You are getting two months for the price of one.

Say you are doing 2-games out at a time, which is normally $22.95+ tax (or something similar [ we'll round it up to $25 for arguments sake ]).

Normally, two months at this level would cost you $50. However, if you purchase the GC, you are getting two months for $25. You are pretty much cutting your bill in half.

FYI, you can do this same thing with 1 out at a time plan. That's $15.95 for 2 months. So $7.98 a month. I might do that. Not sure I really need to rent 2 games at once.

[quote name='perfectsil']Are wii u games easily available or not yet?[/QUOTE]

I think it's too early to tell. The two I have in my queue (ZombieU and NSMBU) both show "Low" availability (like most recent releases).

[quote name='karishbhr']Can someone in plain english explain to me how to make the most of this deal?[/QUOTE]

only buy the 2 month plans

[quote name='CheapyD']I miss my GameFly subscription :([/QUOTE]

If enough people use Gamefly and stop buying cheap games, wouldn't that affect this website's financial ability?

I think I'm going to sign up for this. $11.95 + tax per month is easier to budget around than spending random amounts of money on good deals only to have them sit in my backlog.

If I buy a Cert now can I use it whenever? Or does it go into effect at time of purchase?
very dumb question I know but haven't used GF for a year

[quote name='jmanereese']If I buy a Cert now can I use it whenever? Or does it go into effect at time of purchase?
very dumb question I know but haven't used GF for a year[/QUOTE]
You can hold onto the certificate if you don't wanna use it yet

[quote name='Jaggsta']What happens when game gets lost in the mail? I heard horror storys.[/QUOTE]

I've been using gamefly for years, have had a few games go missing, and never had a single problem. Just told them when I sent it, they mark it as lost on your account, and send a new one.

Now, I'm sure if you get too many marked lost on your account, especially within a short period of time, they will assume you are stealing them and cancel on you. Although, to be fair, if you are losing that many games, you may want to start patting down the mailman.

OMG now this is on the front page of cag? this has been the same deal since i can remember... i hope this attention doesn't get it killed off...

Looking at my bank statement, I think these certificates may even be tax-free, while paying for your sub normally adds tax? Even better deal if I read that correctly.

[quote name='Bill Mcdougal']Looking at my bank statement, I think these certificates may even be tax-free, while paying for your sub normally adds tax? Even better deal if I read that correctly.[/QUOTE]
Not true in all cases. I was charged tax for the certificate.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Yes.

You are getting two months for the price of one.

Say you are doing 2-games out at a time, which is normally $22.95+ tax (or something similar [ we'll round it up to $25 for arguments sake ]).

Normally, two months at this level would cost you $50. However, if you purchase the GC, you are getting two months for $25. You are pretty much cutting your bill in half.[/QUOTE]

But how do you apply to your account.. i'm autobilled each month

I bought 3 of the 2 games out at a time certificates. I have about 15 games in my Que but only one has been shipped so far (put the code in two days ago)

Does is usually take this long to ship the second game?

[quote name='guyver2077']But how do you apply to your account.. i'm autobilled each month[/QUOTE]

You go to "My Account" and to the left of the "Refer a Friend" Program, put your code in the "Redeem a Gift Certificate" box.

[quote name='jcwkings']so once i buy 2 months, i can get another 2 months?[/QUOTE]

Read the OP. Yes, however, there is a limit to how many is purchased; but no limit to how many you can use.

[quote name='Goomba Stomper']I bought 3 of the 2 games out at a time certificates. I have about 15 games in my Que but only one has been shipped so far (put the code in two days ago)

Does is usually take this long to ship the second game?[/QUOTE]

Depends on availability. Unless its High don't expect to get the game.

[quote name='Jaggsta']What happens when game gets lost in the mail? I heard horror storys.[/QUOTE]

No horror story here. I've been a gamefly customer for years - maybe two years ago I went through a nightmarish period in which I was both going through games quickly AND quite a few were lost in the mail when I returned them. I don't recall exactly how many it was over how short of a period but I think it was like three or four lost within three or four months on a 2-game-at-a-time account.

Bottom Line - Gamefly was very patient with me but finally said something like "look, that's it, if another game goes missing we are going to have to cancel your account." I ended up deciding to go out of my way to mail the games back from mailboxes OUTSIDE my own town. Strangely enough, I haven't had a game lost since then.

[quote name='gn2007']i just bought 5 of these and how long does it take to send to your email?[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting like yourself....I just bought one to see how "easy" it would be before I considered purchasing more. I see the charge on my debit card.....hmmmmm.

Glad I printed out the confirmation page, because it looks like I may have to call them tomorrow. It's weird that their phone support is only open for 4hrs.
WTH ?!!

[quote name='Tarheel76']I'm waiting like yourself....I just bought one to see how "easy" it would be before I considered purchasing more. I see the charge on my debit card.....hmmmmm.

Glad I printed out the confirmation page, because it looks like I may have to call them tomorrow. It's weird that their phone support is only open for 4hrs.
WTH ?!![/QUOTE]

yeah i know i been a member for a year and was like hell be a nice way to save money and they haven't done me bad i go to my account and it shows that i bought certificates and are delivered all ready and I will be really pissed if I don't get them been waiting 20 mins now i choose the immidieately route too

[quote name='gn2007']yeah i know i been a member for a year and was like hell be a nice way to save money and they haven't done me bad i go to my account and it shows that i bought certificates and are delivered all ready and I will be really pissed if I don't get them been waiting 20 mins now i choose the immidieately route too[/QUOTE]

Same here......this month marks a year for me, and like yourself, I see in my account it shows that I purchased a gc, and it was delivered. At least I know it's not just me that's waiting on the gc code. It really looks like we're going to slam them tomorrow with phone calls, because their "email support" system is a joke.

i will wait a bit more and see but it is quite ridiculous you pay for it and then it says delivered all ready when its not in my email yet ehh i have faith but will be pissed if I don't get the certificates

[quote name='Tarheel76']Same here......this month marks a year for me, and like yourself, I see in my account it shows that I purchased a gc, and it was delivered. At least I know it's not just me that's waiting on the gc code. It really looks like we're going to slam them tomorrow with phone calls, because their "email support" system is a joke.[/QUOTE]

well they just started to pop up in my email was talking to support via chat online and she said sometimes there is a lag so its all good now

[quote name='gn2007']well they just started to pop up in my email was talking to support via chat online and she said sometimes there is a lag so its all good now[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there was a lag alright.....a 45 min one.....I just got all the emails as well.

*whew*

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Off topic, but do they still offer discounts on used games for members?[/QUOTE]
at 6 months

[quote name='doctorfaustus']If you're on a one month trial will the gift certificate begin after the trial month?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='purplepanda']once the giftcard is sent, when is the latest it can be redeemed? Can I save a 2 month certificate until the summer if I wanted to?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jmanereese']If I buy a Cert now can I use it whenever? Or does it go into effect at time of purchase?
very dumb question I know but haven't used GF for a year[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GUNNM']You can hold onto the certificate if you don't wanna use it yet[/QUOTE]

Someone already answered a similar question to yours.

[quote name='purplepanda']once the giftcard is sent, when is the latest it can be redeemed? Can I save a 2 month certificate until the summer if I wanted to?[/QUOTE]

There's no expiration date listed in the e-mail conveying the GC, nor is there a limit stated in the current GameFly GC Terms of Service.

[quote name='Bucket2222']There's no expiration date listed in the e-mail conveying the GC, nor is there a limit stated in the current GameFly GC Terms of Service.[/QUOTE]

ok thank you for the answer and the deal heads up! I'll buy an extra one and save it for the summer or whenever. Im tempted to buy even more, but I already have more than enough games to play.

also if your a gamefly member now and cancel your account and rejoin they will restart you at whatever level you was before (at least they used to ) You have to call up or go into chat

ONE TIME PER MEMBER

Meaning say if you were a member

from
Jan 1 2010 to June 30 2012 and quit and rejoin in DEC 2012 they should renew you where you was

If you

Jan 1 2010 to MARCH 2012 quit rejoin JUNE 2012 QUIT SEPT 2012 and then Rejoin DEC 2012

i dont think will put your rewards back a 2nd time

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back