GameFly Subscription GC sale - effectively half price at $22.95/2 mo./2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucket2222

CAGiversary!
GameFly is offering discounted gift certificates for subscriptions to their rental service. http://www.gamefly.com/Gift-Certificate/Buy

Although gift certificates for the various subscription plans appear to be discounted, the clear best deal by my estimation is the 2 games out for 2 months for $22.95. $22.95 is the current regular price for a 1-month 2 games out subscription, making this effectively half price.

I have long used these gift certificates to pay for my own subscription to GameFly by e-mailing the gift certificates to myself and redeeming them. The price for the 2-game/2-month certificate has ranged from $27.95-$29.95 over the last year. The current holiday deal lowers the monthly cost of a 2-game plan to $11.48. This is better than the previous regular price of $13.98-$14.98 per month using GCs, and much better than the regular costs of $22.95 per month.

The e-mail announcing the sale says there's a limit of 5 gift certificate purchases per account. Presumably, this just means 5 at the sale price, as I've redeemed about eight 2-month gift certificates to date. One can have redeemed gift certificates lined up that will automatically be redeemed for future renewals.

Threads about GameFly deals often devolve into debates about strategies for/effectiveness of the service in getting the best games at launch. For my part, I love the service and have used it successfully to get some (but not every one I've wanted) hot launch titles and kids games for which I can't bring myself to pay full price, even though my kids want them shortly after they're released.

[quote name='GUNNM']Please show me where it says 3 months get you a discount on used games.[/QUOTE]

go to your account and scroll down to gamefly rewards.

[quote name='Scouter']go to your account and scroll down to gamefly rewards.[/QUOTE]You scroll down and tell me when used game sales are. I've already said 6 months

[quote name='GUNNM']You scroll down and tell me when used game sales are. I've already said 6 months[/QUOTE]

my bad i didn't read it right; it is 6 months. calm down geez :???:

If I wanted to play the games they actually send out, compared to the new releases I want to play, I could just buy each game at the five bucks a piece they cost.

So i Re-upped with GameFly when they sent out their "Start back up for a $1 deal." When did their service actually start getting good? After the settlement with the post-office? I don't know about anyone else but I had previously canceled Gamefly years back because I just couldn't take their slow shipping speeds.

Ive been for gamefly for years now. Never had any issues.

I have a q. I'm currently on a 2 game out plan. I bought one one of these 2months for 22.95 certs. for my next month but I actually want to upgrade back up to 4 out plan... (will have some extra time to play during holidays)

I havent used the cert yet. What will happen if i apply it while on a 4 game out plan?

edit- ughh strange. It only letting me upgrade to a 3 out plan.. not 4

I've been with Gamefly a long time to and no issues. What's with some of the hate? Anyways. I'm in for another 2 months. Does anyone know if these can be stacked?

If I'm on the "restart for $1" deal, should I wait until the last day and cancel, and THEN redeem the cert, or if I redeem now will it take priority over charging my card for another month?

Has anybody done this recently?...

[quote name='guyver2077']Ive been for gamefly for years now. Never had any issues.

I have a q. I'm currently on a 2 game out plan. I bought one one of these 2months for 22.95 certs. for my next month but I actually want to upgrade back up to 4 out plan... (will have some extra time to play during holidays)

I havent used the cert yet. What will happen if i apply it while on a 4 game out plan?

edit- ughh strange. It only letting me upgrade to a 3 out plan.. not 4[/QUOTE]

They make you stay on 3-out for 1 billing cycle before allowing 4-out. I think too many people were taking advantage of the pro-rated upgrade charges, then the longish grace period on returning after a downgrade.

I apologize for gravedigging, but my subscription is about to run out, and I was going to buy more 2 month certificates, but I noticed this below the options:

*Discounts are based on current introductory pricing for the first month of membership. GameFly Gift Certificates are for new members only, are nonrefundable, and cannot be combined with other discounts or offers.

Did it always have this clause? Would I still be able to apply these to my account?

Well since this was bumped and I didn't want to make a seperate thread for a YMMV entry.

I received an email about three days ago, for the "Restart your membership for $1".

If you've been waiting for a great deal to try GameFly again, there's never been a better time than now! Act by 3/31 to restart your membership and get our best offer ever - a full month of GameFly for only $1.

• Rent from over 8,000 console & handheld titles
• 6 Shipping Centers across the U.S.
• GameFly anywhere - apps for iPhone, iPad & Android
• Hundreds of PC games FREE with Unlimited PC Play

I haven't used Gamefly (as a Rental service) for about a year, so I'm pretty sure thats why I received it. But seeing how last year they did this exact same deal during March, you guys might want to check your inboxes/spam folders. Remember its YMMV and it usually pertains to users who haven't been active subscribers for awhile, last year I didn't get one at all.

[quote name='eXiON']Well since this was bumped and I didn't want to make a seperate thread for a YMMV entry.

I received an email about three days ago, for the "Restart your membership for $1".

I haven't used Gamefly (as a Rental service) for about a year, so I'm pretty sure thats why I received it. But seeing how last year they did this exact same deal during March, you guys might want to check your inboxes/spam folders. Remember its YMMV and it usually pertains to users who haven't been active subscribers for awhile, last year I didn't get one at all.[/QUOTE]

if you have done a $1 membership once even if it was years ago you won't get the deal. I got this email a few days too and it doesn't offer the $1 deal and wants to charge you full price for a month.

[quote name='Yeloazndevil']if you have done a $1 membership once even if it was years ago you won't get the deal. I got this email a few days too and it doesn't offer the $1 deal and wants to charge you full price for a month.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying, I just checked back and I've definitely signed up for $1 before. However, it was during the December 2011 Holiday, so it's a different promo than this.

Oddly enough a few days ago when I initially got the email it showed up as "$22.95 for 2 games" when I clicked on the offer so I figured they sent it out to me by mistake, but I just tried it again and did manage to sign up for $1, not even sure what I'll rent since I have a rather large backlog, but whatevs. $1? I'm in!

[quote name='MyCatEdwin']I apologize for gravedigging, but my subscription is about to run out, and I was going to buy more 2 month certificates, but I noticed this below the options:

*Discounts are based on current introductory pricing for the first month of membership. GameFly Gift Certificates are for new members only, are nonrefundable, and cannot be combined with other discounts or offers.

Did it always have this clause? Would I still be able to apply these to my account?[/QUOTE]

Guess I'll bump this, any current subscriber taken the plunge on this and can whether or not this works for existing accounts still?

[quote name='eXiON']Thanks for clarifying, I just checked back and I've definitely signed up for $1 before. However, it was during the December 2011 Holiday, so it's a different promo than this.

Oddly enough a few days ago when I initially got the email it showed up as "$22.95 for 2 games" when I clicked on the offer so I figured they sent it out to me by mistake, but I just tried it again and did manage to sign up for $1, not even sure what I'll rent since I have a rather large backlog, but whatevs. $1? I'm in![/QUOTE]
odd it seems they fixed the issue, it works for me now. I do know a lot of people complained so I guess they just offered it again to anyone that took this offer before

[quote name='MyCatEdwin']I apologize for gravedigging, but my subscription is about to run out, and I was going to buy more 2 month certificates, but I noticed this below the options:

Did it always have this clause? Would I still be able to apply these to my account?[/QUOTE]

I talked to a rep today about this and she said the clause must have been an error, as it will work fine. I bought, and sure enough it did. 2 months for $30 after tax is a pretty good deal, especially considering my brother and I split the price and take one game slot each :)

[quote name='MyCatEdwin']I talked to a rep today about this and she said the clause must have been an error, as it will work fine. I bought, and sure enough it did. 2 months for $30 after tax is a pretty good deal, especially considering my brother and I split the price and take one game slot each :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering the same thing since I saw the "for new members only" thing. My account was to renew tomorrow so I went ahead and tried it since I read your post and it did work. 30 dollars for two months is way better than 25 for one!

*Discounts are based on current introductory pricing for the first month of membership

better not be something new cause i still have 5 to use.... if they refuse i can always dispute.. that is what is nice with credit cards you have the right to DISPUTE

it would not shock me cause i did hear back in 2012 they were banning account who stacked too many prepaid

Anyone know what the current verdict is on this deal?

Should I buy them every 2 months just to be safe or will they stack if I were to go ahead and pay for enough to last the rest of the year?

I already have an old Gamefly account I've not used in over a year. Would I be able to purchase these things and apply them to that account even though it's not "new"?

[quote name='rdlee']Anyone know what the current verdict is on this deal?

Should I buy them every 2 months just to be safe or will they stack if I were to go ahead and pay for enough to last the rest of the year?

I already have an old Gamefly account I've not used in over a year. Would I be able to purchase these things and apply them to that account even though it's not "new"?[/QUOTE]
I buy 2 month 2 games out every time and so far no problems. Mine expires in 2 weeks and plan on buying a gift certificate.

Tried Gamefly for a month last year...my backlog didn't like it:headache:

Then I tried Blockbuster for 2 months and it really went berzerk:hot:

This is undoubtedly a great deal, but I don't think renting is for me;)

[quote name='renebasketball']I buy 2 month 2 games out every time and so far no problems. Mine expires in 2 weeks and plan on buying a gift certificate.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply. Do these tihngs stack or do you have to buy and use them one at a time?

[quote name='rdlee']Thanks for the reply. Do these tihngs stack or do you have to buy and use them one at a time?[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure they stack.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']This is undoubtedly a great deal, but I don't think renting is for me;)[/QUOTE]

I am kind of in the same boat. I got a free month in December when I started back up, then did this deal x2 which puts me through the end of April, basically $46 for 5 months. Had the price stayed at the $22.95 like it was in December I would buy a couple more, no question. But some reason 5$ more is making it real hard to pull the trigger. Not sure if it's cause it's closer to $30 or what the reason is. That said I'm glad this is an option though because no way would I pay full price for this service.

i just bought a 2 month but didnt get the 22.95 price.. think i payed $29 after taxes for 2 months.

I think its back to regular price but still a good deal.

I've been a long time GF member, and only found out about this deal with gift certificates last week when they sent me an email. I sure feel dumb for not knowing about it before.

Can you purchase certificates year round or is this generally a holiday-only timeframe promotion?

I may have to take advantage of this and probably will. I haven't even redeemed my two months that I bought for myself last year (or the $1 month offer which expires next week) because I was too busy trying to get through the backlog I accumulated from last year's holiday season and the free PS+ games. (FYI, Gamefly gift certificates don't expire. I asked Gamefly customer service.) This will be useful around the summertime when there's a lull in new games and the odds of getting the titles currently in demand are high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back