Gamefly Used Game Blowout

While the length of it really turned some people off, I don't think that should be the only aspect of judging any game. People value games differently and to some, much of that comes from time spent in them (I've never agreed with this). Games can offer a lot in a short amount of time. I don't doubt that I'll enjoy it and feel that it was well worth the $10 price tag but I also understand how some who purchased it at full price were a little miffed.

I'll definitely be sure to post my thoughts on it once completed though.
The length of the game was the easy thing to point out in its shortcomings, but the gameplay itself wasn't compelling in the slightest. The voice acting, graphics, and overall presentation is outstanding, but the shooting is decent at best. They tease you with awesome weapons for various setpieces only to take them away immediately after. The reused assets for its "big" moments is lazy and it just amounts to a glorified cutscene with you only watching and occasionally moving forward or pushing a button.

The mechanics of the game are sound, and it could've been something truly special with just a few more added elements. Even a co-op mode would've made the game infinitely more appealing, but it never felt like it was trying to sell you on its merits as a game, but with how much you'd connect with the world and presentation. I redboxed it, and felt like I got everything it had to offer from it.

The length of the game was the easy thing to point out in its shortcomings, but the gameplay itself wasn't compelling in the slightest. The voice acting, graphics, and overall presentation is outstanding, but the shooting is decent at best. They tease you with awesome weapons for various setpieces only to take them away immediately after. The reused assets for its "big" moments is lazy and it just amounts to a glorified cutscene with you only watching and occasionally moving forward or pushing a button.

The mechanics of the game are sound, and it could've been something truly special with just a few more added elements. Even a co-op mode would've made the game infinitely more appealing, but it never felt like it was trying to sell you on its merits as a game, but with how much you'd connect with the world and presentation. I redboxed it, and felt like I got everything it had to offer from it.
I felt the shooting was pretty on point. It didn't invent anything new but it was solid as fuck. You're absolutely right the awesome weapons weren't used nearly enough but when you did get to use them it was a blast. As far as the "it's a movie" argument, I get it but I also don't think it's really a problem. I thought it worked well. The gameplay to scenes were handled flawlessly to the point where there were a couple instances I wasn't sure if I was playing or not. I also didn't have an issue with this maybe because I'm half way used to visual novel games. I'd much prefer The Order type movie style over constantly reading but I can see where some might take issue with it. My biggest gripe was
the lycan fights
because those were just implemented pretty horribly. Everything else I felt was good at minimum and great for most of it. I thought the environments were amazing and the lore and the universe they set up, to me, was a dream. I wish more games would take on settings like that.

As far as going through redbox I can totally see why people would be fine with that. I've played through it twice though and I definitely plan to play through it again. I can honestly say it's my favorite game from this gen yet so I'm more than happy to own it

Last edited by a moderator:
the lycan fights
That was kind of an unforgivable offense for me. That entire aspect of the game was what drew me to it in the first place, and they dropped the ball with it so hard that it ended up having to lean on the strength of its regular enemies to make up for it. I was going through hordes of enemies hoping that it would lead to a big payoff, but
having two identical lycan fights be the only representation for the supernatural side of the game felt like such a missed opportunity.

I really do think it could've been something really special, but seeing the game get hammered with terrible word of mouth and fire sales galore by every retailer that stocked it means we'll likely never see it again.

That was kind of an unforgivable offense for me. That entire aspect of the game was what drew me to it in the first place, and they dropped the ball with it so hard that it ended up having to lean on the strength of its regular enemies to make up for it. I was going through hordes of enemies hoping that it would lead to a big payoff, but
having two identical lycan fights be the only representation for the supernatural side of the game felt like such a missed opportunity.

I really do think it could've been something really special, but seeing the game get hammered with terrible word of mouth and fire sales galore by every retailer that stocked it means we'll likely never see it again.
Yeah I totally agree with you there. It was definitely the biggest downer with the game for me as well. They really could have been amazing too but for some reason that was the place that I felt they skimped and that's by far my biggest complaint. Even with the bad word of mouth and such I believed a sequel would follow for a while until the news that RAD is now their own independent studio without real ties to Sony anymore. It's possible they could make the sequel and just make it multi-plat but I'm under the assumption the franchise is dead now. WHICH MAKES ME SO SAD

Lol how many copies of sfv do they have?
People are probably waiting for the Super Ultra Street Fighter V Arcade 3D version that will eventually be coming out after milking as much money as they can with the game, or whenever it drops below $10, whichever comes first.

I notice there are a ton of digital-to-disc games like Shovel Knight, Tinker, and Brothers and are all very close to their standard price...hardly "blowout" deals.

Picked up Tony Hawk and for some reason I'm actually looking forward to playing it
With the latest update, it really isn't all that bad. The soundtrack is GREAT, the game was not worth $60msrp at launch but for that price it's worth it. I've enjoyed it, payed like $18 on Amazon a few weeks back and don't regret it. Then again, Skateboarding games are one of my favorite types of games.

Does anyone recommend The Order: 1886 at that price?
One day platinum is worth $10 to me personally.

Consider it about a dollar an hour. Where can you go and entertain yourself for a dollar an hour? Hell, most parking garages cost $8 for the privilege of just having a spot to leave your stuff to go to the place you're going.

I doubt it'll overwhelm you with its excellence, but it's not gonna make you ragequit or hate yourself for buying it.

That said I got it new for $10.

With the latest update, it really isn't all that bad. The soundtrack is GREAT, the game was not worth $60msrp at launch but for that price it's worth it. I've enjoyed it, payed like $18 on Amazon a few weeks back and don't regret it. Then again, Skateboarding games are one of my favorite types of games.
Did they make it so you don't have to kick yet? I just wanna hold down X :(

God I played Tony Hawk 3 and 4 to death during middle school years. I'd rush my homework just so I could hop on my PS2 and just skate on that college campus and Chicago for hours on end.

When was the last update? I played it a bit like in January or February this year and stuff was kinda...off.

Yea you still have to press X to kick, I'd rather hold too lol :(

God I played Tony Hawk 3 and 4 to death during middle school hours on end. I'd rush my homework just so I could hop on my PS2 and just skate on that college campus and Chicago for hours on end.

When was the last update? I played it a bit like in January or February this year and stuff was kinda...off.
Not sure cause I played for the first time in April. The big patch that made the game 100x better than launch was released in November and that was like almost 8 gbs. I don't know if there were other updates after when you played.

edit- looks like that last update was in December so if you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

Yea I watched a few post update videos and it looked a lot better than it did at launch. So I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

One day platinum is worth $10 to me personally.

Consider it about a dollar an hour. Where can you go and entertain yourself for a dollar an hour? Hell, most parking garages cost $8 for the privilege of just having a spot to leave your stuff to go to the place you're going.

I doubt it'll overwhelm you with its excellence, but it's not gonna make you ragequit or hate yourself for buying it.

That said I got it new for $10.

A parking garage is providing a service of keeping your vehicle (which can cost thousands) in what you hope is a secure location. I guess what you are saying in the end, what is $8 / $10 for something that has far more value than what you are paying.

A parking garage is providing a service of keeping your vehicle (which can cost thousands) in what you hope is a secure location. I guess what you are saying in the end, what is $8 / $10 for something that has far more value than what you are paying.
A parking garage is about as secure as a whores legs.

Yea you still have to press X to kick, I'd rather hold too lol :(

Not sure cause I played for the first time in April. The big patch that made the game 100x better than launch was released in November and that was like almost 8 gbs. I don't know if there were other updates after when you played.

edit- looks like that last update was in December so if you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.
If I remember my internet rumors correctly, what's on the disc is just a few assets, since it had to be rushed to the printers before the game was finished to make it to market before they lost the license. The 8gig update is actually the entire game. Just throwing that in there.

bread's done
Back