GamePro Expo Replacing E3 Next Year

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www1.gamespot.com/news/6160840.html

According to a memo circulated to a short list of LA Convention and Visitors Bureau members this week, International Data Group, publisher of dozens of tech magazines and producer of hundreds of trade shows around the world (including Macworld), will produce a new games show to be held in Los Angeles in mid-October 2007.

"IDG has been secured to run the new GamePro Expo show, what we knew as E3," the memo reads in part. While IDG owns and publishes GamePro magazine, it is not clear how IDG plans on leveraging the brand.

According to Michael Krouse, vice president of convention sales for the LA Convention and Visitors Bureau, IDG is estimating that the event will draw 30,000 attendees, and that long term, those numbers could grow. "I am absolutely convinced this show will be as big as [the old] E3," Krouse told GameSpot.

The new show will be endorsed by the ESA--"a very important element to the partnership," says the memo, which goes on to say the event will take place at E3's former digs, the Los Angeles Convention Center, on October 18, 19, and 20, 2007.

The event will have trade show, consumer, and game competition components and is being presented to Convention and Visitors Bureau members as a show that could rival the old E3 in size, scope, and impact on the Los Angeles economy: "Use E3 as a guide [when prepping for GamePro Expo]," the memo advises.

Referring to the game competition, Krouse said that Staples Center owner AEG is likely to partner with IDG, and, "in concept," the live tournaments would take place at the Staples Center.
Mid-October sounds really late to me, but being able to see those fall games just before they are released sounds nice. Then again, why GamePro? Just make it a generic name rather than name it after the crappy magazine.

I'm happy with it. It's in the same place, same size, and it will be just as good. GamePro is a good magazine too.

Gamepro is the single worst gaming magazine on the market. Someone could shit on a Daikatana manual, and it'd still be more entertaining to read then that poor excuse for toilet tissue.

Pro Tip : Show up and meet MarkMan in the media lounge.

What is a Game Pro Expo? Nothing but a miserable pile of secrets!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Then again, why GamePro?[/quote]Probably because they paid the most for the licensing rights. They look at is as a huge advertising venue.

I hate it. I liked going to see the games at the Boston Garden rather than the Fleet Center. Ditto for every sports/entertainment venue across America. If it makes money for companies then I'm glad for them but it's ugly and commercial and has no soul.

Your homage to Castlevania has not gone un-noticed, friend.

[quote name='MarkMan']Pro Tip : Show up and meet MarkMan in the media lounge.

What is a Game Pro Expo? Nothing but a miserable pile of secrets![/QUOTE]

[quote name='furyk']Gamepro is the single worst gaming magazine on the market. Someone could shit on a Daikatana manual, and it'd still be more entertaining to read then that poor excuse for toilet tissue.[/QUOTE]

QFT. When I first saw the news on this I thought there was no way in hell this could be related to GamePro magazine. I was proven wrong. Absolutely unbelievable.

[quote name='Stunt']I'm happy with it. It's in the same place, same size, and it will be just as good. GamePro is a good magazine too.[/quote]

Or not.

[quote name='MarkMan']Pro Tip : Show up and meet MarkMan in the media lounge.

What is a Game Pro Expo? Nothing but a miserable pile of secrets![/QUOTE]

"Your not my mother!!"

That CV SOTN dialogue has no place here... which is fitting since Gamepro has no place here either. But if there's secrets involved, I'm a little more interested.

Gamepro is and has always been one of the worst game magazines, even back in the late '80s, early '90s. I've been unimpressed with my free Official X-Box Mag too though.

The section in Gamepro that's actually good is the "Buyer Beware" part (or whatever it's called). It's REALLY good IMO and deals with real issues. Seems like it's supposed to be in a better magazine or something.

The NAME of the magazine has always bothered me too. It's kind of condescending IMO.

Wow That's something all of us on this board can agree on, Gamepro is pure ass.

So I'm guessing this event will be open to the public. If so it really won't be like E3............. It'll be like a damn anime con

I really wouldn't say this is the new E3. This is more like a competitor to the Digial Life convention thing that ZD magazines (EGM,OPM,GfW) do.

I dislike the Gamepro magazine. But they doesn't mean that they can't have a gaming conference. It might suck it might not, we can't judge until we see it.

[quote name='Thongsy']I really wouldn't say this is the new E3. This is more like a competitor to the Digial Life convention thing that ZD magazines (EGM,OPM,GfW) do.[/quote]
It's in the same venue, looking at having a similar sized crowd, with a similar approach, as well.

Digital Life is all about electronics of all kinds, not just games, and is focused on being a consumer show.

---------------------------------
Also, it seems that the name isn't final just yet.

bread's done
Back