GameQuest Direct Sucks Ass

furor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
So, I've been looking for a new copy of Mario Party 7 at all the B&M stores near me for a couple of weeks now with no luck. I notice that Game Quest Direct has it in stock for $48.99 new. I email them to make sure it's the original oversized box version complete with microphone and not a best seller or players choice version (I'm not even sure they made those variants for MP7 but I just wanted to be safe). They email me back telling me that they can't be sure what version it is and I should go to a store and buy it. I email back telling them I've checked all the stores in the area and I can't find it anywhere. I tell them that a quick phone call to the warehouse may net GQD a sale. He replies back telling me it's the original oversized box version with microphone and it's not the best seller or pc version. The second I got that email I went to the website to place my order. I fumble around a bit trying to use the CAG1SHIP code for free shipping. By time I figure it out, I watch the price of the game (while sitting in my cart, mind you) jump from $48.99 to $58.99. So needless to say, I cancelled my order. I then sent the following email...
"WTF?!?!? I was placing my order at $48.99 and while the game was in the cart and just before hitting send order the price jumped to $58.99 right before my eyes. Did you just jack the price up $10 based on my emails!?!?! That's Bullshit!!! I can't believe you upped the price right as you knew I was going to place an order. Order cancelled!!"..and haven't heard back.
Game Quest Direct are a bunch of asshats and should be removed from CAG.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']I can get you one if you'd like I've seen them at a few places around here (large box w/ mic version)[/QUOTE]

Cool, let me know how much it would be with shipping to 60004.

[quote name='furor']...So needless to say, I cancelled my order. I then sent the following email...
"WTF?!?!? I was placing my order at $48.99 and while the game was in the cart and just before hitting send order the price jumped to $58.99 right before my eyes. Did you just jack the price up $10 based on my emails!?!?! That's Bullshit!!! I can't believe you upped the price right as you knew I was going to place an order. Order cancelled!!"..and haven't heard back.
Game Quest Direct are a bunch of asshats and should be removed from CAG.[/QUOTE]

You think maybe you could have said, "Hey, I went to order and the price jumped up - is there any chance you will honor the $48.99 I was trying to buy it at?" instead of digging a big hole for yourself? Do you really expect they trip over themselves to respond to irate, illogical emails?

[quote name='cruster']You think maybe you could have said, "Hey, I went to order and the price jumped up - is there any chance you will honor the $48.99 I was trying to buy it at?" instead of digging a big hole for yourself? Do you really expect they trip over themselves to respond to irate, illogical emails?[/QUOTE]

At that point I have no desire to do business for such a company, hence the irate, illogical email. I'll find a copy, hell, just writing this post and already DreamSymphony says he can get me one. I'd rather deal with DreamSymphony than GQD.

I had a bad experience with GameQuest too. I bought Prince of Persia 1 for gamecube. When I got it, it was a PAL + French version of the game (case insert, disc, game and all). I double checked the site to verify if it was my mistake and it wasn't. It took nearly a month to get a refund.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Well sorry to hear about that.. but maybe a kinder email would have helped u out more..[/QUOTE]

A kinder email may have helped me out but I wasn't interested in dealing with them at that point. They could of at least given me a little time to make the purchase before jacking up the price. I emailed them telling them that the game was getting hard to find (yeah, I know big mistake). They email me back telling me it's the correct version. I go to make the purchase (literally seconds after getting their email) and they jack me one click away from completing the purchase. The only reason they upped the price was because of my emails. I know it's their company and they have the right to set prices as they see fit. But to raise the price on me as we're communicating is a bunch of crap.
Just so everyone here knows, it's not about the money but the principle of how they went about it.
I'll gladly pay their new $58.99 shipped price for this game to anyone who can get it for me, but I won't give GQD my business. Of course, if anyone wants to undercut the price I won't complain ;).

I agree with the op on this one. Imagine you're at a store looking at an item and a salesman walks over to you and pitches his deal. Once you express your interest for the item, he reaches down and changes the price to $10 more than what was originally stated. I would be livid and insulted if that happened to me. Of course "maybe" the price change from GQD happened coincidentally, but the GQD of old makes me think otherwise. When I first joined CAG, I remember most of the regulars were told to stay away from them and their shady business practices. Now that they have some type of affiliated business arrangement with CheapyD though, they seem to be ok with the CAG community.

I lol when I first read the op's situation b/c it reminds me of a Simpsons moment when Bart wanted to buy the jazz cd for Lisa. Bleeding Gums Murphy just died and once Comic Book guy found out, he raised the price in front of Barts face. :lol:

Agreed GQD sucks, I have had nothing but problems with them and would never buy anything from them again. Twice I have gotten games from tham with broken cases, not just cracked but smashed (games I spent $50 each for). When I emailed them I never got any response AND my emails were kind and polite so

YES, GQD does indeed suck

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']Why would you want Mario Party 7....[/QUOTE]

Ummm...because I don't have it. Why would you want to Hardcore an Xbox?

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']Why would you want Mario Party 7....[/quote]
i swear i think some people just need to make a comment to something even if it doesn't make sense.

yeah they definitely have their stupid ways of doing business. what they did was unacceptable. i would have been pissed as well if it happened to me.

I haven't done business with them since the Persona 2/ Rhapsody mess. I ended up getting a cracked case and they kept blaming UPS even though they sent the games in an undersized box with no peanuts. I'm done with them and their attempts at swaying CAG have no effect on me.

I only bought God of War 2 from them using a CheapyD coupon code. It arrived very quick, only odd thing was the site got spooked and made my physically call and confirm personal details before they would process the order.

I had a decent experience with them.

On the plus side, I was finally able to find some games that I'd been looking for (GBC Ghosts N' Goblins, Sat Warcraft II, etc). On the other hand, there were crazy, outdated coupon stickers on the outside of the game cellophane. Now, it didn't bug me too much because I bought the games to play, but if I was collecting them, I would've been upset.

Yeah, my copy of Justice League heroes came sealed and everything but the disk had dust and some light things that only an OCD like myself would notice.

i never bought from GQD nor will i ever. They dont seem reputable enough...and the horror stories out wiegh the positive stories. i dont care if cheapy has a affiliate deal with them...he gets paid but it still wont sway me to make purchases from them.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've ordered from QGD several times and only had one problem with them (I ordered Final Fantasy 9 and Origins from them and got 8 and 9 instead , but they exchanged 8 and origins for me no problem). All the other times the prices seemed fair and the shipping was quick. Granted shipping from them could be a little cheaper and all the games I ordered from them were games that weren't REALLY rare or THAT hard to find but it worked out a ok for me.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i never bought from GQD nor will i ever. They dont seem reputable enough...and the horror stories out wiegh the positive stories. i dont care if cheapy has a affiliate deal with them...he gets paid but it still wont sway me to make purchases from them.[/quote]

Yep.

It's real funny how money can change a situation.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i never bought from GQD nor will i ever. They dont seem reputable enough...and the horror stories out wiegh the positive stories. i dont care if cheapy has a affiliate deal with them...he gets paid but it still wont sway me to make purchases from them.[/QUOTE]
I agree 100%

i imagined this is how it happened

furor: is it the oversized boxed MP7?
GQD CS: not sure. but i think it is. let me check.

talks to his manager
GQD CS: yo! we still have the MP7 oversized box sealed! i found it under the couch.. its all dusty and shit..
GQD Manager: really?! wow, thats rarez now, so update the price.
GQD CS: how about that dude furor, he wants it.
GQD Manager: well.. im sure he understands its rarez now so he wouldn't mind the less than 24-hour price difference.

I also had a bad experience with GameQuest, I ordered the Halo 3 Legendary Edition from them. Well, a couple of days before they shipped it I changed my mind on it and sent them an e-mail to cancel.

I never got a response until they sent me a shipped email, I demanded they give me a refund and pay for the shipping costs back. I was told they will not give me shipping, and they will also be tacking on a restocking fee. :roll:

My first and last experience with them.

After reading every post, I concur; Yep, they're asshats. The concept of reprinting games alone makes them asshats in my book. Nice to see they don't even really bother to offer deals anymore as well... You know somewhere is bad when they make Gamestop look like a viable alternative.

I bought from them twice, before they wanted to kiss & make up with CAG, and I was against it because of their horrible customer service. They suck. They've sucked before and they suck now. All they know how to do is lie just to make a sale.

But nope, GQD got the go ahead as an affiliate and we got good deals for... what, two weeks, before they started giving us ass deals?

[quote name='Vinny']I bought from them twice, before they wanted to kiss & make up with CAG, and I was against it because of their horrible customer service. They suck. They've sucked before and they suck now. All they know how to do is lie just to make a sale.

But nope, GQD got the go ahead as an affiliate and we got good deals for... what, two weeks, before they started giving us ass deals?[/quote]

Yeah, it sure looks like CAG sold out.

[quote name='Josef']Well, it's now down to $53.99.

So, maybe your email helped a little :D[/QUOTE]

I love how the retail price keeps fluctuating too. The true retail price of the game is $49.99. Which is what it was originally at when I went to make the initial purchase. Then they jacked it up to $59.99 and now it's back down to $54.99. They're not fooling anybody by saying the retail price is higher than their selling price. They try to make it look like we're saving a whopping 2% when in reality we're overpaying. These guys need to be banned from the internet.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yeah, it sure looks like CAG sold out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sure does. Waiting to see how the powers that be here address this.

Between GQD, LionGames(with their nearly double the price of an Edge card 'discount' card) and Thumbmonkey(with their fishy 'disc only' games with the gouged shipping prices), I'm starting to believe the same as many in this thread, that CAG has sold out.

But yet, no one is forcing us to do business with these companies and we still have the Target and Kmart clearance threads, so we can still find MANY deals. So, in that way, I am still happy to be a member of CAG, but I do see that many companies are sneaking in under the radar and offering initially good deals(like Thumbmonkeys' 100% off shipping code), but then pulling a CC and doing the old bait and switch by changing offers every other day.

As usual though, we can all choose to vote with our wallets and just NOT SHOP with these disreputable online shops who gouge on price and shipping.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Between GQD, LionGames(with their nearly double the price of an Edge card 'discount' card) and Thumbmonkey(with their fishy 'disc only' games with the gouged shipping prices), I'm starting to believe the same as many in this thread, that CAG has sold out.

But yet, no one is forcing us to do business with these companies and we still have the Target and Kmart clearance threads, so we can still find MANY deals. So, in that way, I am still happy to be a member of CAG, but I do see that many companies are sneaking in under the radar and offering initially good deals(like Thumbmonkeys' 100% off shipping code), but then pulling a CC and doing the old bait and switch by changing offers every other day.

As usual though, we can all choose to vote with our wallets and just NOT SHOP with these disreputable online shops who gouge on price and shipping.[/quote]

what happened with Lionsgames? I haven't seen that thread in awhile but I remember most of the posts being positive.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Between GQD, LionGames(with their nearly double the price of an Edge card 'discount' card) and Thumbmonkey(with their fishy 'disc only' games with the gouged shipping prices), I'm starting to believe the same as many in this thread, that CAG has sold out.

[/quote]

It was pretty obvious when after the Speedy thing that Circuit City ads were still on the site.

As far as I can tell, Thumbmonkey just got permission from Cheapy to advertise in the deals thread. I don't see any affiliate agreement.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It was pretty obvious when after the Speedy thing that Circuit City ads were still on the site.[/QUOTE]

I thought those were Google generated ads that were popping up because everyone was mentioning "Circuit City" within threads.

[quote name='schuerm26']what happened with Lionsgames? I haven't seen that thread in awhile but I remember most of the posts being positive.[/quote]

They're offering a 'discount card' for $25($10 more than Gamestops' Edge card), which gives 10% off used games(like the Edge card) and that's about it.

Thumbmonkey is definitely NOT a CAG-ish company, as they gouge like crazy on shipping. For 5 items the other night(Real World Golf for Xbox and 4 disc only PS1 games), they wanted $43 in shipping. So, yeah, they're not a company I would recommend.

Liongame's discount card, I can understand. Some people buy a lot of used games and maybe they like Liongame's customer service over other companies that sell used like Gamestop (though I can't imagine anyone being an unsatisfied Gamestop customer:lol:).

Thumbmonkey is the biggest scam I've seen on this site. I honestly can't believe that it was allowed here- "these games are brand new but disc only" my ass.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It was pretty obvious when after the Speedy thing that Circuit City ads were still on the site.[/QUOTE]

QFT - and all of the self-serving hypocrisy that went with all of that was a new low in tragicomedy.

Eh, I've usually had a decent experience with them, only a couple of problems when they've sent me like the Canadian versions of games versus the American versions and haven't mentioned it anywhere on the site. When I emailed them to tell them I'd recieved the Canadian version instead of the American one their response was essentially "Yep.". I also got the Australian version of Tokobot for the PSP from them.

bread's done
Back