Gamer Dads

1modernboy

CAGiversary!
Kind of an odd, but no less seasonal, question -- With Father's Day just around the corner, I'm wondering if any other CAGgers are dads, or have/had a gamer dad?

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']Guilty, I have a 9-month old beautiful baby girl.[/QUOTE]

I've got a 4-month old boy, m'self. :D

the other day my dad stopped by my apartment to drop something off and i showed him Forza. he's really big into cars so he sat down and watched me play. I unlocked the 70 Boss Mustang (he has one of his own) so we designed it to look just like his. He thought that was really cool, other than that hes never shown any interest in game. I tried to get him to try it out but he didnt want to.

[quote name='onetrackmind']the other day my dad stopped by my apartment to drop something off and i showed him Forza. he's really big into cars so he sat down and watched me play. I unlocked the 70 Boss Mustang (he has one of his own) so we designed it to look just like his. He thought that was really cool, other than that hes never shown any interest in game. I tried to get him to try it out but he didnt want to.[/QUOTE]
My dads just as stubborn, about not playing video games, though he used to play contra with my mom, and NHL hockey with me :)

Jlarlee, is a dad of two I think, but heel probably post here anyway

[quote name='1modernboy']I've got a 4-month old boy, m'self. :D[/QUOTE]

Are you getting enough sleep? Man I remember thats what I missed the most around that time. I'm hoping my little girl will be into videogames, I'm excited about the fact we can stay up till 2 am playing halo 2 or whatever. The only game my wife likes to play is DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, so i'm kind of tired of that one already.

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']Are you getting enough sleep? Man I remember thats what I missed the most around that time. I'm hoping my little girl will be into videogames, I'm excited about the fact we can stay up till 2 am playing halo 2 or whatever. The only game my wife likes to play is DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, so i'm kind of tired of that one already.[/QUOTE]

Actually my boy started sleeping through the night regularly about a month and a half ago. We really lucked out on that one!

My console game time is still suffering though -- it took me almost four months to beat RE 4! Thankfully, I can sneak my DS into work and play in my office. :twisted:

I'm hoping he's a gamer as well, but only time will tell. I'm very interested in the possiblity of the parent-child gamer phenomenon of our generation. :)

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']Guilty, I have a 9-month old beautiful baby girl.[/QUOTE]

As do I. Well, 8-1/2 months actually but close enough...

[quote name='onetrackmind']the other day my dad stopped by my apartment to drop something off and i showed him Forza. he's really big into cars so he sat down and watched me play. I unlocked the 70 Boss Mustang (he has one of his own) so we designed it to look just like his. He thought that was really cool, other than that hes never shown any interest in game. I tried to get him to try it out but he didnt want to.[/QUOTE]

My gramps is 78 and he’s recently gotten turned on to PC gaming. He’s a big snooker player, and when the local pool hall went under I picked him up some shareware snooker sim. He practically lives on the computer now!

[quote name='1modernboy']My gramps is 78 and he’s recently gotten turned on to PC gaming. He’s a big snooker player, and when the local pool hall went under I picked him up some shareware snooker sim. He practically lives on the computer now![/QUOTE]

My step-grandmother (63) plays Myst.

[quote name='1modernboy']
I'm hoping he's a gamer as well, but only time will tell. I'm very interested in the possiblity of the parent-child gamer phenomenon of our generation. :)[/QUOTE]

If he isnt, you could always give him up for adoption.:lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Option 2: beatings. ;)[/QUOTE]

"Now, I ain't playin', boy -- you WILL save the princess!!!" ;)

The only games my dad will play are the older FPS on the PC, Doom, Quake, etc. He plays them for a few weeks and then wont touch them for months, then play them again. He has repeated this cycle for years and wont touch the newer FPS. Oh yeah.. He's also a Solitare freak, but I dont think that qualifies as a gamer..

[quote name='javeryh']Option 3: Force him to play Superman 64 or Bubsy 3D until he learns some goddamn respect.[/QUOTE]

*shudder*

I'm pretty sure that would fall under the heading of child abuse! ;)

was gonna get my dad mechassault 2, just bought him 24 season 2 instead. trick is, i get stuff for my dad that ill end up using anyway. it all works out fine.

My dad and I used to play Super Mario Brothers & TMNT on NES back in the day. He sort of lost interest after the SNES came out though.

Sadly, my dad passed away last Christmas Eve :(

I have 3 girls (ages 8,5 and 2). The first kid put me into a gaming hiatus for about 6 years. I finally picked up a Cube about a year and half ago. Now, I got my oldest into gaming as well.

My dad used to play a little bit of Super Mario Bros. back in 1990. Thats the only time I remember him playing video games. He would only play it a couple of times when we played on teams (we needed him to make the teams even, 2vs2).

I'm going to be a Dad to a little girl very soon (end of August). I'm excited but also very nervous. I know it is going to change my console gaming but hopefully I'll be able to grab some quick games on my DS.

As far as my Dad gaming, the only console game he ever played was Yar's Revenge for Atari 2600. He actually flipped the score on that game. He never played any other games after that which I always though was strange.

[quote name='lebowsky']I'm going to be a Dad to a little girl very soon (end of August). I'm excited but also very nervous. I know it is going to change my console gaming but hopefully I'll be able to grab some quick games on my DS.

As far as my Dad gaming, the only console game he ever played was Yar's Revenge for Atari 2600. He actually flipped the score on that game. He never played any other games after that which I always though was strange.[/QUOTE]

Congrats, lebowsky. Welcome to the club!

My dad likes to play hockey games with me, he loves hockey. Back when I didn't play games he would play Resident Evil. I wonder if I could convince him to play through Resident Evil 4.

My Dad played the first SMB with me all night when he got me an NES for my 5th b-day. Sonofabitch kept playing after I feel asleep too, and beat the first Bowser before falling asleep himself. The next morning, I went to wake him up, and he barely opened his eyes and said, "I beat the dragon guy, finally..." and fell back to sleep. At 5 years old, I was pretty damn impressed. He also beat Tetris on the original GB at the highest setting before I ever did. I remember him shouting at me to come see the rocketship taking off.

I'm one... (boys 4 & 2). The four-year-old is pretty good. He beat his 13-year-old cousin in NFL2k5 24 - 7 and in SoulCalibur 2 4 matches to 1

Not for about 10 years, when we'd played Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 occasionally before I had to go to bed. He's never played anything else after that, though I'm not sure why. I guess he just has better things to worry about, like bills, food, school, and such.

I play as much as my three sons.
My oldest is 15.
Next, 13.
And the baby is 12.

God I'm getting old. :oldman:

We play anything from MVP 2K5 to the latest, Lego Star Wars.

Yeah my dad games, I got him started on Duke Nukem then half life then quake. Biggest step was getting him into Everquest one day we were bored so I said hey there's this cool game...the rest was history he's currently leveling his second character in Wow think it's NE Druid. Hopefully one day, I'll have my own kids and I'm going to def get them into gaming and into D&D. Yes, I'm going to geek out my kids...

r1s3n

I have two year old twin girls and everytime i try to play console games they grab the controller wires and yanks it out my hands, wireless controllers don't do it for me. so these days i'm playing WOW and they just come over and sometimes sits on my lap and watches me play, i've gotten pretty good at balancing both girls and playing with only the mouse. the only free time i have is when they fall asleep which is around 12 am. but thats when my wife complains i don't pay attention to her.
u guys who play WOW know how addicting that damn game is. I wonder how many people has broken up with a bf/gf or divorced because of WOW. not that i'm contemplating divorce or anything.

Super Mario Bros. on our NES for christmas, I was too little to actually get into it but from my moms recounts he would often get up in the middle of the night and play. He was absolutely "pissed on" when he beat the first bowser and didn't get the princess, 4 months later he woke the whole house up at 4 AM to announce victory and take us out to breakfast at Friday's. We had to leave the end screen up till my Uncle could drive over and see it for himself to win a bet between the two of them.

I wish my dad is a gamer so we could play games together and he wouldn't complain when I play games. But he's too serious of a person to play games.

I have sons--5 and 8... they are pretty good gamers. A fun moment happened earlier this year as we were playing Halo 2 together (them against me) I had to stop and answer the phone when I came back we said 'game on' both of them sniped me. Sneaky little guys laughed about that for 2 weeks.

My oldest is good enough in RPG that we can tag team and really get some strong characters.

I'm a hard core gamer Dad
4 kids
18 year old - girl
15 year old twins - girls
13 year old - boy
twins and the boy are gamers

[quote name='snotknocker']I'm a hard core gamer Dad
4 kids
18 year old - girl
15 year old twins - girls
13 year old - boy
twins and the boy are gamers[/QUOTE]

18 year old - girl

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Well I'm a gamer. And the underaged girls I bed with call me daddy. Does that count?[/QUOTE]

Only if you post pics. ;)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Oh my ... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Kayden, you fucking cockblocker. You just have to have me all to yourself. :evil: :cry: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you stopped aiming it at my ass I'd stop blocking it... :whistle2:#

[quote name='Kayden']Maybe if you stopped aiming it at my ass I'd stop blocking it... :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

*rimshot*

Well that's an unfortunate term ... :lol:

I'm a dad. I've been playing since my dad brought home Pong. We have a three year old son and one on the way, due in December. My wife used to play, but there hasn't been a game she's been interested in since Spyro for the PS1. During the first week we were dating, we played Eternal Champions for Sega CD. I let her win.
It's hard finding the time to play. I work in retail and have weird hours. I usually play late at night. I've been trying to play online(SOCOM II and Splinter Cell), but it's hard to find people that are equal in experience. A lot of the people online play the same game constantly to perfect their skills. I like playing a variety of games and rarely master one. It's getting tiresome listening to kids online whine about everything. Not to mention all the team killing, cursing and cheating.
This is a great site for finding deals, but it is a Catch-22. The stores around my area get cleaned out quickly. I rarely find the deals that are posted.

bread's done
Back