GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='MysterD']I ain't tried it...
But, I'll make a guess....

Maybe those who done it can confirm my guess?

I'd guess you'd buy GG's own currency of Blue Coins first on your own region's GG site.
Then you jump on the other region's GG site.
Then, you just pay in BLUE COINS for whatever it is that you want on the other region's GG site - in which BLUE COINS are in GG's currency.

Usually, currency fees are put onto us by your CC, Bank, or Paypal - not Gamersgate.
Since BLUE COINS are GG's currency, I'd guess using that avoids any transaction and extra fees via CC, Bank or Paypal.

Maybe those who actually have done it can confirm my guess here?[/QUOTE]

I wish I could input on this, but I've never had any fees on paypal with GG. I always use either my paypal balance or draw directly from my bank account (not my debit or credit cards).

For anyone with issues I would try one of those methods.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I wish I could input on this, but I've never had any fees on paypal with GG. I always use either my paypal balance or draw directly from my bank account (not my debit or credit cards).

For anyone with issues I would try one of those methods.[/QUOTE]

I used PayPal and its balance in the account, not a CC or anything - and it was $8.16 USD after converting for Sacred 2: Gold, back when they had that sale for 5.08 GBP on GG-UK.

[quote name='Ozonekill']I can't believe I'm asking this but does syndicate activate on origin?[/QUOTE]

REQUIRES Origin.
You have no choice in this matter.

EDIT:
You might as well just plug the key into Origin and let Origin do the download and all the work, since I was cracking very fast speeds (for me) of 5MB per sec, as opposed to my usual normal speed of 2-4 MB per sec.
It's easier to deal w/ downloads, installs, and back-ups through Origin than GG.

GG takes a bit more work to try to keep your game installers b/c of the way it encrypts SETUP exe's and decrypts them - so you have to do the workaround to keep those, so you don't have to do the install while online w/ GG.
With Origin, your game folder IS YOUR BACK-UP - it's streamlined so nicely here (one of my few likes of Origin). You'd only need to copy that folder where you have the game installer, if you want to back it up somewhere [BR disc, DVD discs, another HDD, flash drive, whatever).

I've spent a lot less (about $0) on this sale than I expected to. I might pick up a thing or two during strategy week as that is the superior video game genre, but otherwise the sale has been pretty dull for me.

Anyone with the IGN code mind buying Syndicate for me? I'll send the 5.10 via paypal.

Yes, I'm that much of a cheapass.

EDIT: Got help! Thanks to everyone who offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case anyone missed it (I did), Amalur is $20 for the rest of today. I keep staring at it and trying to convince myself that by the time I get to play it it will be cheaper but...

I passed on Syndicate when it was on the Amazon sale for something like $10 but it was a hard decision. Guess it paid off for me because I'm in for $6.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I passed on Syndicate when it was on the Amazon sale for something like $10 but it was a hard decision. Guess it paid off for me because I'm in for $6.[/QUOTE]

$5.10 with the discount :)

[quote name='measureless']Just in case anyone missed it (I did), Amalur is $20 for the rest of today. I keep staring at it and trying to convince myself that by the time I get to play it it will be cheaper but...[/QUOTE]

Any chance of being able to email EA and get a Steam key for that sucker?

Sort of OT, but if anyone wants to add me in Origin for some Syndicate co-op (or anything else really), don't hesitate. My origin ID is the same as my username here....

And to think I noticed this last night at $12, really puzzling why they didn't put this up in the daily shelf/banner. As a fan of the original, I am tempted to pick it up at this price just to see the artwork/theme through tears of eternal disappointment at this "sequel."

[quote name='MysterD']I ain't tried it...
But, I'll make a guess....

Maybe those who done it can confirm my guess?

I'd guess you'd buy GG's own currency of Blue Coins first on your own region's GG site.
Then you jump on the other region's GG site.
Then, you just pay in BLUE COINS for whatever it is that you want on the other region's GG site - in which BLUE COINS are in GG's currency.

Usually, currency fees are put onto us by your CC, Bank, or Paypal - not Gamersgate.
Since BLUE COINS are GG's currency, I'd guess using that avoids any transaction and extra fees via CC, Bank or Paypal.

Maybe those who actually have done it can confirm my guess here?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I wish I could input on this, but I've never had any fees on paypal with GG. I always use either my paypal balance or draw directly from my bank account (not my debit or credit cards).

For anyone with issues I would try one of those methods.[/QUOTE]

@MysterD I realize the Bank/CC company levies the currency/transaction fee, but I'm saying what is the difference between buying the game straight up and buying blue coins as you are paying the same company (Gamersgate). The bank is still going to place fees on the transaction for Blue Coins same as it would a purchase for the game. Also to clarify this is using their US version of their website that I'm referring to. I can understand the Blue Coins being helpful in avoiding multiple fees if you were wanting to make multiple transactions as you'd only be charged once for the blue coins.

@CheapLikeAFox I've been dinged twice for payments through Paypal not sure the exact payment method on the first one but my most recent was definitely debit card. I'll have to follow your lead and only pay via Balance or Bank Account.

I love Gamersgate been using their site for a couple years. It wasn't until recent that I started getting these fees applied to my transactions. It sure is a downer when you see your bank statement. So a note to others use your balance or bank transfer and not your Debit or CC just to be on the safe side.

Hi, CheapyD! And woah. Definitely picked up Syndicate. I love these types of games and getting it at this price is awesome.

[quote name='Canbanana']@MysterD I realize the Bank/CC company levies the currency/transaction fee, but I'm saying what is the difference between buying the game straight up and buying blue coins as you are paying the same company (Gamersgate). The bank is still going to place fees on the transaction for Blue Coins same as it would a purchase for the game. Also to clarify this is using their US version of their website that I'm referring to. I can understand the Blue Coins being helpful in avoiding multiple fees if you were wanting to make multiple transactions as you'd only be charged once for the blue coins.[/QUOTE]
Are you in the US? Then you should not be getting charged a currency conversion fee if you use the .com site. There is no currency conversion there whatsoever. It's spending USD on virtual coins. You then use those coins however you see fit. Your bank has no idea how you're going to use them and has no part in that transaction. That is between you and GamersGate only.

MysterD and the FAQ explain it correctly. I've had no fees at all using this method.

[quote name='Canbanana']I love Gamersgate been using their site for a couple years. It wasn't until recent that I started getting these fees applied to my transactions. It sure is a downer when you see your bank statement. So a note to others use your balance or bank transfer and not your Debit or CC just to be on the safe side.[/QUOTE]

I am curious what feels other people have seen. I pay gamersgate via Visa CC through Paypal (no bank account linked).

To be really clear, I bought Scared 2 for £5.08. Paypal exhange rate (per statement) 1 USD = 0.622549 GBP. So (5.08 £) / (0.622549 £/$) = $8.16. (Side note: this exchange rate seems to be a hair worse than any recent low.) On my credit union's Visa statement, I got dinged an extra $0.07. On separate USD denominated purchases ~$4 I get dinged an extra $0.03, ~$8 I get dinged an extra $0.07. Mildly annoying, yes. Enough to make me hook a bank account to paypal, no. The extra fee seems to be solely a percentage of purchase amount, with no per-transaction component. Therefor for me, it doesn't seem to make sense to buy an allotment of blue coins to use.

TL;DR: paying with *my* Visa-linked-paypal, I get an extra 1% fee regardless of USD/GBP denomination.

Edit: Confirmed 0.8% (per my Visa CC terms).

Anyone know how long the Syndicate deal will be up? I'm going to be refunded almost $2 of blue coins that I would like to use but I'm not sure when I'll get those. I don't want to miss this.

[quote name='measureless']Just in case anyone missed it (I did), Amalur is $20 for the rest of today. I keep staring at it and trying to convince myself that by the time I get to play it it will be cheaper but...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out. It's tempting. With 15% IGN, that basically matches the $10+$5+tax BestBuy coupon deal, without the hassle of a BB run. My backlog of RPGs/ARPGs growls at me, "wait for 75% off noob".

[quote name='Umair56']Anyone know how long the Syndicate deal will be up? I'm going to be refunded almost $2 of blue coins that I would like to use but I'm not sure when I'll get those. I don't want to miss this.[/QUOTE]
Just over 11 hours (midnight PDT).

[quote name='asheskitty']Just over 11 hours (midnight PDT).[/QUOTE]

Derp. Didn't see that counter under the savings lol. Thanks.

I guess I'll wait until the last couple hours before picking it up. I doubt my refund will kick in by then but waiting doesn't hurt. :)

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']Hi, CheapyD! And woah. Definitely picked up Syndicate. I love these types of games and getting it at this price is awesome.

Are you in the US? Then you should not be getting charged a currency conversion fee if you use the .com site. There is no currency conversion there whatsoever. It's spending USD on virtual coins. You then use those coins however you see fit. Your bank has no idea how you're going to use them and has no part in that transaction. That is between you and GamersGate only.

MysterD and the FAQ explain it correctly. I've had no fees at all using this method.[/QUOTE]

Tell my bank that... I got charged a $3.00 currency conversion fee using my debit card through paypal to pay Gamersgate in US funds. And yes I realize spending the blue coins would not give me a fee. I was talking about the initial purchase of blue coins incurring a fee. My other bank also charges me currency conversion fees when paying in US dollars directly to Greenmangaming.com and not through paypal. Although their fee is only $1.00 instead of $3.00. Yet i don't get charged a fee if I pay Greenmangaming.com through paypal. Either way like CheapLikeAFox stated one sure fire way to avoid them is to just pay via Paypal Balance.

Syndicate $5.10 hmm I can wait for $5 or less in winter sale :D
not like Id even install let alone play it anytime soon!

[quote name='Canbanana']Tell my bank that... I got charged a $3.00 currency conversion fee using my debit card through paypal to pay Gamersgate in US funds. And yes I realize spending the blue coins would not give me a fee. I was talking about the initial purchase of blue coins incurring a fee. My other bank also charges me currency conversion fees when paying in US dollars directly to Greenmangaming.com and not through paypal. Although their fee is only $1.00 instead of $3.00. Yet i don't get charged a fee if I pay Greenmangaming.com through paypal. Either way like CheapLikeAFox stated one sure fire way to avoid them is to just pay via Paypal Balance.[/QUOTE]
Ah, I thought you were talking about buying games from the co.uk site and incurring a fee from that. My apologies for misunderstanding. Wow. I really hate banks.

What some of you guys are getting charged is likely a foreign transaction fee which a lot of CCs and Banks charge. Usually it's about 3% of the transaction total, but can vary if I remember right. Anyways for those that are getting charged this fee I would suggest applying for a CC that does not charge this fee.

[quote name='mewantgames']What some of you guys are getting charged is likely a foreign transaction fee which a lot of CCs and Banks charge. Usually it's about 3% of the transaction total, but can vary if I remember right. Anyways for those that are getting charged this fee I would suggest applying for a CC that does not charge this fee.[/QUOTE]

Other than Crapitol One, are there cards without annual fees that don't charge the fees?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Bit on Syndicate.[/QUOTE]

Same here. CheapyD made me do it. I figure at $5.10, it won't drop much further any time soon.

Strategy week is live. King Arthur 2 for 2.99 (85% off) and Company of Heroes complete for $3.06 (93% off) are a couple of the daily deals. Prices do not include IGN discount. Not sure if these are mistakes so get them while you can if you are interested.

Update 2: I goofed and bought this, now I have 2 copies of KA I and its DLC on my account. King Arthur collection does not include King Arthur 2 and its DLC. It is a collection that is no longer sold on Steam with this id http://store.steampowered.com/app/24470/ based on checking the windows registry. The new collection is http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13921/.

^_^ Score CoH Complete, $2.60 with IGN. Wondering if it's a price mistake, so I grabbed it fast. ($12.50 on steam summer sale).

I'm wondering if King Arthur 2 will show up in a new Paradox Pack on Amazon (around Yankee Labor Day).

X Superbox $7.50 .. and to think steam had it at $10. Comments indicate being able to register it on Steam, and possibly get Albion Prelude.

Total War SHOGUN 2

spacer.gif

$10.18
spacer.gif

or 10 180 Blue Coins
spacer.gif

(List price: $89.95)

Lmao, what?

edit:
Sid Meier’s Civilization V Game of the Year Edition (Mac)

spacer.gif

$24.98
spacer.gif

or 24 980 Blue Coins
spacer.gif

(List price: $89.95)

anyone else seeing these?
fake sales?

[quote name='Daykain']Strategy week is live. King Arthur 2 for 2.99 (85% off) and Company of Heroes complete for $3.06 (93% off) are a couple of the daily deals. Prices do not include IGN discount. Not sure if these are mistakes so get them while you can if you are interested.

Update: King Arthur collection is $8.98 and includes both games + all DLC (it says it activates on Steam as well, the King Arthur 2 standalone for $2.99 is DRM free).[/QUOTE]

Why bugs me is if you want the KAII dlc you will have to fork over $3.59 for it on top of your $2.99 for the base game. I'm pretty sure that dlc came as a preorder bonus at most places that bridges the gap between 1 + 2.

[quote name='basis']The Guild is now at $7.50, what's the lowest has it been?[/QUOTE]

From Deals4Downloads:

Best price: 6.00 USD (at GamersGate on Jul 07, 2012)

Dawn of Discovery Gold (aka Anno 1404) is 60% off I noticed. I'm not sure if it would go lower this week on one of the dailies.

It has Tages with a 3 activation limit and no revocations, supposedly. I tried doing a bit of searching and the Anno wiki said the Tages was patched out in patch 1.1

http://anno1404.wikia.com/wiki/Copyright_protection

But then the regular wikipedia page says that only applies to the retail DVD edition and the digital download still has Tages no matter what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_1404#Copy_protection

Meh I guess I will have to pass on this game again unless someone can confirm the Tages has been or can be removed from the digital download version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back