GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^_^ I bought Alice

In celebration of my disappointment of the dailies, I edited the wiki (awaiting moderation).
Tropico 4 - Repeat of Steam sale (waiting for GOTY & better discount, I'm in no rush)
Settlers 7 - Recall complaints of terrible DRM
GoT: Genesis - Recall poor reviews, $12 seems too high to me
Supreme Commander 2 - Been there, done that, got two keys from THQ for $4

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']^_^ I bought Alice

In celebration of my disappointment of the dailies, I edited the wiki (awaiting moderation).
Tropico 4 - Repeat of Steam sale (waiting for GOTY & better discount, I'm in no rush)
Settlers 7 - Recall complaints of terrible DRM
GoT: Genesis - Recall poor reviews, $12 seems too high to me
Supreme Commander 2 - Been there, done that, got two keys from THQ for $4[/QUOTE]

wow, you completely wiped out my edit having done the exact same thing. :/ And you should add that Supreme Commander 2 is Steam. I had it in there before you wiped it.

[quote name='asheskitty']Supreme Commander 2 - Been there, done that, got two keys from THQ for $4[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that for the original Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance?

[quote name='walkonshadows']wow, you completely wiped out my edit having done the exact same thing. :/ And you should add that Supreme Commander 2 is Steam. I had it in there before you wiped it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, there was nothing of today when I started. I edited your DRM comments in. Would it be appropriate to add a special note about the Settlers 7 DRM?

[quote name='Umair56']Wasn't that for the original Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance?[/QUOTE]

Oh right. /facepalm (too many repeats)

Woah, look at you guys on top of things. It's 40 minutes after the daily deals switched over and you already have it updated. Thanks. :applause: Do you guys think we should stick with walkonshadows' idea of listing if a game is Steamworks? Might cut down on all the questions, but who knows.

Also, for those of you wondering, GG weekly sales typically run from Monday to Sunday. Tomorrow (Monday) will be the first day of Week 4.

[quote name='asheskitty']Sorry, there was nothing of today when I started. I edited your DRM comments in. Would it be appropriate to add a special note about the Settlers 7 DRM?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']Woah, look at you guys on top of things. It's 40 minutes after the daily deals switched over and you already have it updated. Thanks. :applause: Do you guys think we should stick with walkonshadows' idea of listing if a game is Steamworks? Might cut down on all the questions, but who knows.[/QUOTE]

Yes, more info and better informed people will eventually stop people from asking the same questions over and over. (at least in theory) :lol:

I'm following this sale specifically for Steam games, and putting special notes in for the "issues" with games like Settlers 7 I'm sure would be much appreciated. I'm waiting for all that headache to be patched out myself.

GoT: Genesis also has Tages with a 5 limit activation in addition to Steamworks. It's not just Steamworks so I think that's worth noting since Gamersgate's page is unfortunately unclear on that and fails to mention it. I guess they aren't setup to list multiple DRM since for most sane publishers one form of it is enough.

It's also a crappy game, but that part is subjective. :p

[quote name='Motoki']GoT: Genesis also has Tages with a 5 limit activation in addition to Steamworks. It's not just Steamworks so I think that's worth noting since Gamersgate's page is unfortunately unclear on that and fails to mention it. I guess they aren't setup to list multiple DRM since for most sane publishers one form of it is enough.

It's also a crappy game, but that part is subjective. :p[/QUOTE]

Ugh.
They really need to disable that extra DRM garbage on Steam-versions.
Steam DRM is ALWAYS enough and perfectly fine.

Lazy dev's/pub's...
[smh]
Will they ever learn?

I wonder if the extra DRM really just has to do with control. Like if Steam were to change their DRM policies or whatever, the developer is out of luck after the fact and they can't do anything to those who bought earlier...I suppose they can have a contract that if it changes from "this" to "that", we can pull the title or whatever, but I'm guessing that publishers and developers don't want to "trust" Steam to do what's right for their own corporations (understandable).

In the end, companies tend to do what is ultimately best for just their own situation so some developers don't want to give that up (my guess).

re: DRM
Luckily I have yet to run across a game on Steam that requires obvious DRM on top of Steam. I think I would be royally annoyed if I had to start steam and then GFWL, Uplay, Origin, Rockstar Social, etc. etc. etc.

Not Steam's fault at all, but if for some games where multiple clients would be needed I see myself either not playing at all or buying it through the client directly if cheap enough to avoid the fuss.

I picked Shogun Total War Gold (~$3) and Crusader Kings Complete (~$3) out of curiosity, since I own their sequels. Also being ~1GB and 200MB respectively (as well as old), I think they'll be suitable for my laptop with a small SSD. That finishes out week 3 for me.

[quote name='hal']I'd love to grab Settlers 7 if it weren't for that ridiculous "always on" DRM.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if the DRM scheme used for Settlers 7 is still "always on"? I noticed that in one of the customer comments on the PC version product page at GamersGate, it said "Ubi has changed [their] DRM so you only have to have your internet connection upon your initial log in." (comment dated July 16, 2011)

[quote name='Razorfish']Does anyone know if the DRM scheme used for Settlers 7 is still "always on"? I noticed that in one of the customer comments on the PC version product page at GamersGate, it said "Ubi has changed [their] DRM so you only have to have your internet connection upon your initial log in." (comment dated July 16, 2011)[/QUOTE]

It's still there. In fact, I think it is the last Ubisoft game with it? Others got patched out and there were rumors Settlers would too but it never happened.

New deals are coming online. Of note from a quick check, a lot of Sims 3 and Medieval stuff is 75% off which is very rare. Also the additional 15% off with IGN discount just sweetens the deal. I have never SIM'd before, are there any must have ones?

[quote name='Daykain']New deals are coming online. Of note from a quick check, a lot of Sims 3 and Medieval stuff is 75% off which is very rare. Also the additional 15% off with IGN discount just sweetens the deal. I have never SIM'd before, are there any must have ones?[/QUOTE]

Don't know about the Sims, but much of the rest is "casual" games - I really hope that's not all there is...

On the other hand, finally a discount on Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island!

[quote name='Daykain']New deals are coming online. Of note from a quick check, a lot of Sims 3 and Medieval stuff is 75% off which is very rare. Also the additional 15% off with IGN discount just sweetens the deal. I have never SIM'd before, are there any must have ones?[/QUOTE]

Well the Sims Medieval Pirates expansion got yanked some time ago on Steam and doesn't seem like it's every coming back so if you want that game with the expansion you pretty much have to get it elsewhere anyway.

As for the regular Sims 3, the base game itself does have most of the content. Some of the expansions are better than others imho. I'd probably rate Ambitions the most useful and then next maybe Showtime since they actually let you play out some of the jobs.

The "Sims 3 Deluxe" they are selling for $12.49 by the way is the base game plus the Ambitions expansion in both PC and Mac formats so that's a good place to start if you are just getting into it.

*Edit: Also, I believe $7.49 is the cheapest I have seen the Sims 3 Showtime expansion to date since that is the most recent one.

A couple of new deals are Precursors and Xenus 2 White Gold, couple of buggy Euro games with a decent cult following, so no, it's not just casual games.

Grabbed Sonic Generations and Hamilton's Adventure DLC. Sonic is going to be on sale for $9.99 during Amazon's Labour Day sale but I figure best to go with GamersGate so I can collect coins.

[quote name='asheskitty']Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands - 90% off - $1.01 DRM:?

Price mistake?[/QUOTE]

"Online Requirement: A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS GAME. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://www.princeofpersia.com"

Bought it anyway at around $0.85 in the hopes that the DRM will be removed at some point in the future...

[quote name='asheskitty']Updated wiki for dailies, awaiting moderation.

Own PoP complete pack from a Steam sale.[/QUOTE]

There you go. I approved it. Can anyone do that? When I click the edit button it says: You have moderator status for wiki threads, which means your edits will immediately appear without the need for validation. However, inaccurate or inappropriate edits can result in your moderator status being revoked, or in extreme cases, a ban. So apparently I'm a mod? How'd that happen?

[quote name='walkonshadows']There you go. I approved it. Can anyone do that? When I click the edit button it says: You have moderator status for wiki threads, which means your edits will immediately appear without the need for validation. However, inaccurate or inappropriate edits can result in your moderator status being revoked, or in extreme cases, a ban. So apparently I'm a mod? How'd that happen?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I just checked and it says the same for me too. Maybe if you've been a CAGer for a year or two, you get this privilege.

[quote name='walkonshadows']There you go. I approved it. Can anyone do that? When I click the edit button it says: You have moderator status for wiki threads, which means your edits will immediately appear without the need for validation. However, inaccurate or inappropriate edits can result in your moderator status being revoked, or in extreme cases, a ban. So apparently I'm a mod? How'd that happen?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I do not see that. It's probably because I'm a :newbie:

[quote name='Larce80']Prince of perisa $0.86, nice deal, who am I to say no?

how do you add the game to Uplay? I got a key[/QUOTE]

Wha? Really! Lemme find my Paypal. \\:D/

The Digital Collector's Edition of Prince of Persia : The Forgotten Sands is showing up as $2.03 right now.

Did anyone buy The Sims Medieval : Pirates & Nobles from Gamersgate? I have the base game on Origin and I'm assuming this expansion gives you a key to register it on Origin, but I'd like to know for sure.

[quote name='Zbornak']The Digital Collector's Edition of Prince of Persia : The Forgotten Sands is showing up as $2.03 right now.

Did anyone buy The Sims Medieval : Pirates & Nobles from Gamersgate? I have the base game on Origin and I'm assuming this expansion gives you a key to register it on Origin, but I'd like to know for sure.[/QUOTE]
heh it changed again..

[quote name='Larce80']heh it changed again..[/QUOTE]

Heh, can't make up it's mind. Might be that early bird pricing they were doing earlier.

Also, was looking into getting a month of IGN Prime for the discount, but I noticed it looks like they haven't had a free indie game for awhile on their forums.

Looks like I'll reconsider that once they get a new indie game giveaway up so I don't end up with a month of prime and nothing but a 15% off Gamers Gate games to show for it.

[quote name='Necrotron']
Also, was looking into getting a month of IGN Prime for the discount, but I noticed it looks like they haven't had a free indie game for awhile on their forums.[/QUOTE]

I think they gave out Trine a week or two ago. So probably a few weeks or so until they give out another game.

when I got that I signed up, snagged all the freebies on offer, made the gamersgate account and then cancelled the sub. Thats what a lot of others did too. You might not have to pay if you already made the account.

[quote name='Jon7']I think they gave out Trine a week or two ago. So probably a few weeks or so until they give out another game.[/QUOTE]

Ah, good to know. Glad to hear they're still giving out freebies.

[quote name='Larce80']when I got that I signed up, snagged all the freebies on offer, made the gamersgate account and then cancelled the sub. Thats what a lot of others did too. You might not have to pay if you already made the account.[/QUOTE]

That is my plan, yes. I'll be looking to join next time I want to buy a Gamers Gate game or next time I hear of an indie title they're giving away that I'm interested in. Seems like a good deal overall.

[quote name='Motoki']Well the Sims Medieval Pirates expansion got yanked some time ago on Steam and doesn't seem like it's every coming back so if you want that game with the expansion you pretty much have to get it elsewhere anyway.

As for the regular Sims 3, the base game itself does have most of the content. Some of the expansions are better than others imho. I'd probably rate Ambitions the most useful and then next maybe Showtime since they actually let you play out some of the jobs.

The "Sims 3 Deluxe" they are selling for $12.49 by the way is the base game plus the Ambitions expansion in both PC and Mac formats so that's a good place to start if you are just getting into it.

*Edit: Also, I believe $7.49 is the cheapest I have seen the Sims 3 Showtime expansion to date since that is the most recent one.[/QUOTE]

Ahh thank you for the feedback. Went for the Katy Perry Showtime version and Sims Deluxe version ... yeah, yeah I know. Now to see if I will ever play it...

Also if anyone cares, I basically upgraded Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands to the Digital Collector editions for the base game on Steam. NOTE: This does not mean the GG version of Prince of Persia is steam activatable. I confirmed the unlocks work in the game but will need to download the soundtrack from GG. It seems to work this way for a few Ubisoft games as I upgraded the base game of Driver San Francisco from the $1 Uplay deal. Just go to extras in the game and enter unlock code. I re-downloaded Driver Deluxe version via Uplay but I don't think I needed to do that.

[quote name='Daykain']Ahh thank you for the feedback. Went for the Katy Perry Showtime version and Sims Deluxe version ... yeah, yeah I know. Now to see if I will ever play it...

Also if anyone cares, I basically upgraded Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands to the Digital Collector editions for the base game on Steam. NOTE: This does not mean the GG version of Prince of Persia is steam activatable. I confirmed the unlocks work in the game but will need to download the soundtrack from GG. It seems to work this way for a few Ubisoft games as I upgraded the base game of Driver San Francisco from the $1 Uplay deal. Just go to extras in the game and enter unlock code. I re-downloaded Driver Deluxe version via Uplay but I don't think I needed to do that.[/QUOTE]

I didnt understand. Can you explain better?

He means if you have the base game on steam you can activate the bonuses from the deluxe edition within the game on Steam to get the extra skin/map.

[quote name='Zbornak']
Did anyone buy The Sims Medieval : Pirates & Nobles from Gamersgate? I have the base game on Origin and I'm assuming this expansion gives you a key to register it on Origin, but I'd like to know for sure.[/QUOTE]

Considering I have all the Sims 3 stuff from Steam and even those keys registered on Origin I would say yes. AFAIK, any remotely recent EA game should register there no matter where you got it from. I've not had any problems registering the key from any EA game I got in the lost couple of years on Origin.

[quote name='dejeckt']Sonic Generation $10.18 can be activated on steam
Sonic 4 Episode 1 $3.98 can be activated on steam
Not sure if these are the cheapest price, but I know Sonic Generation at $10.18 was close to the Steam Summer Sale price.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is the lowest Sonic Generations has been; the GG deal is better if you have IGN.

[quote name='Necrotron']Heh, can't make up it's mind. Might be that early bird pricing they were doing earlier.

Also, was looking into getting a month of IGN Prime for the discount, but I noticed it looks like they haven't had a free indie game for awhile on their forums.

Looks like I'll reconsider that once they get a new indie game giveaway up so I don't end up with a month of prime and nothing but a 15% off Gamers Gate games to show for it.[/QUOTE]

Nod, it's difficult to buy something when you saw it for lower just a few hours ago. I paid for a month of IGN back on the third. Beat Hazard Ultra was/is the giveaway, on 10 Aug they added Trine (1). My current billing period ends on 9 Sept. Apparently I missed the IGN Payday freebie in July. A very cautionary note. It took 4 days before I got a working code for the GG IGN discount (code changes every day, and GG kept telling me it was invalid); IGN support doesn't seem to work weekends.

[quote name='Motoki']Considering I have all the Sims 3 stuff from Steam and even those keys registered on Origin I would say yes. AFAIK, any remotely recent EA game should register there no matter where you got it from. I've not had any problems registering the key from any EA game I got in the lost couple of years on Origin.[/QUOTE]
I got Sims 3 from Retail; Late Night from Direct2Drive (flashback!); and Generations from Amazon DVG.

Not sure if this has changed - but Sims 3 games activated on Sims website, not Origin.
None of my Sims 3 expansions ever activated on Origin.
Trying to activate a Sims 3 expansion, resulted in them telling you to activate over on Sims website.

Though, once activated via Sims website, they WILL show-up on Origin.

Again, that was months ago...Don't know if that's changed and don't know if you just nowadays can activate your Sims 3 expansions on Origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back