GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No PayPal refund yet for BL2 4-pack here, either. But I'm not worried. It'll hopefully come within 24 hours or so.

After these pricing debacles, this is how I envision the GG offices.

simpsons_monkey_typewriters.jpg

Hmm ... had 2 Bethesda bundles go through (in the chaos of that night, somehow I had three go through with two paid). They cancelled the third, which I'm fine with ... but it appears one of my bundles disappeared and the other, which I redeemed 3 keys from, appears to be still available. However, haven't received a refund for the second pack ... hopefully this isn't going to be an issue.

[quote name='DrummerX']

I'm just resigned to wait and see, what else can we do? I'll post an update if anything changes.[/QUOTE]

I got the Bethesda pack and was able to redeem a couple of keys, so this is mostly directed at others with half a pack delivered, but I guess it applies to anybody in this situation.

Make sure to be already compiling evidence, which you should have since they came up with that public statement they were going to deliver around mid January. Take screenshots of their webpages, print receipts, invoices, emails, gather info from around the net from people in similar situations. All of this for one reason, which is not to bring a class action lawsuit, although that would be nice but hard to do on your own.

Every bank/cc issuer is different but, if by the end of January you have not received your refund or the rest of the keys, be ready to file a dispute on the payment made to GG, as I said every issuer is different but you have a limited set of time to file the dispute, chances are you will need to present evidence of the issue at hand. Same deal should apply to paypal and when the time comes you should file a dispute on both instances if possible.

As it is right now, anything could happen, these people could be desperate to recover some loses and resort to any kind of actions to do so, some even rumor voiding activated keys, although I don't think that will apply on this case.

I repeat, do not wait for too long to file a dispute, if it comes to it, that represent further loses for them and that might be what they are trying to avoid with their silence and any other kind of delays, to wait until your are no longer protected by your card issuer or paypal.

This really is a sorry situation for these people but they shouldn't have issued a public statement giving January as a possible deadline and implying they would honor their part of the transaction. Furthermore, it should've stopped right after the Bethesda incident, the BL2, GR and Patrician 4 "technical difficulties" really make you wonder, wtf is going on here?

[quote name='inm8num2']No PayPal refund yet for BL2 4-pack here, either. But I'm not worried. It'll hopefully come within 24 hours or so.

After these pricing debacles, this is how I envision the GG offices.

simpsons_monkey_typewriters.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think this guy has a new job at Gamersgate:
george_w_bush_zps2893eab4.jpg

[quote name='DonRamon']I got the Bethesda pack and was able to redeem a couple of keys, so this is mostly directed at others with half a pack delivered, but I guess it applies to anybody in this situation.

Make sure to be already compiling evidence, which you should have since they came up with that public statement they were going to deliver around mid January. Take screenshots of their webpages, print receipts, invoices, emails, gather info from around the net from people in similar situations. All of this for one reason, which is not to bring a class action lawsuit, although that would be nice but hard to do on your own.

Every bank/cc issuer is different but, if by the end of January you have not received your refund or the rest of the keys, be ready to file a dispute on the payment made to GG, as I said every issuer is different but you have a limited set of time to file the dispute, chances are you will need to present evidence of the issue at hand. Same deal should apply to paypal and when the time comes you should file a dispute on both instances if possible.

As it is right now, anything could happen, these people could be desperate to recover some loses and resort to any kind of actions to do so, some even rumor voiding activated keys, although I don't think that will apply on this case.

I repeat, do not wait for too long to file a dispute, if it comes to it, that represent further loses for them and that might be what they are trying to avoid with their silence and any other kind of delays, to wait until your are no longer protected by your card issuer or paypal.

This really is a sorry situation for these people but they shouldn't have issued a public statement giving January as a possible deadline and implying they would honor their part of the transaction. Furthermore, it should've stopped right after the Bethesda incident, the BL2, GR and Patrician 4 "technical difficulties" really make you wonder, wtf is going on here?[/QUOTE]
Now THAT'S sarcasm done right. :applause: Nice job, DonRamon, you got a genuine chuckle from me. :)

(Can people stop PMing me their details, please? Obviously the class-action lawsuit thing was a joke, as I assume most of the crying posts here to be!)

Mine came out of direct debit from my bank account and I don't have most of Bethesda keys yet so I think if they don't give the keys and don't refund I will be SOL. I don't think you can dispute an electronic funds transfer that comes straight from your checking account like you can with a credit card.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Now THAT'S sarcasm done right. :applause: Nice job, DonRamon, you got a genuine chuckle from me. :)

(Can people stop PMing me their details, please? Obviously the class-action lawsuit thing was a joke, as I assume most of the crying posts here to be!)[/QUOTE]

No dude, that wasn't sarcasm, I've been victim to online fraud a few times now and now know fully well what to do and what not to do.

If my post wasn't of your liking, take a hike, my view of it, you are getting one hell of a laugh out of other's disgrace, but that is your problem, not mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I am glad I didn't camp out to get a pack. Yeesh, too good to be true finally happened from a trusted gaming source?

Well,... Steam... War Z.

I'm sorry for you folks who are out your $30 with no games. That's poor business.

[quote name='Gara']That still sounds like you're profiting to me.... Do you really think you have the high ground vs someone who is making money on top of making their games free? :lol:

No refunds on my 2 orders. I was able to redeem 3 of the keys. The second order of the 4 pack still says pending even though I paid for it. I'll contact support about it but I imagine they will just refund it instead of processing the payment I made.[/QUOTE]

Who wouldn't take a chance on a good deal? To me it was just a good deal that I could try to get some games I wanted for basically free.

I'm not getting fucking rich out my ass for it. It's a few dollars so what? And why does it matter? I wanted most of the games in the bundle just like everyone else. Which is why I bought two and not just one. (so I could sell dups of things I actually wanted to break even easier or give some dups to friends)

If I was looking for profit and money I would've just bought one and sold all the keys to try and double or triple the money. But now that I only have one i'll be keeping most of the games that I actually wanted. Dishonored, Doom 3, Hunted,Rouge Warrior, etc.

[quote name='DonRamon']No dude, that wasn't sarcasm, I've been victim to online fraud a few times now and now know fully well what to do and what not to do.

If my post wasn't of your liking, take a hike, my view of it, you are getting one hell of a laugh out of other's disgrace, but that is your problem, not mine.[/QUOTE]
Errr... I DID like your post. But I didn't know you were being serious - you wrote "All of this for one reason, which is not to bring a class action lawsuit, although that would be nice...". How could anyone think that was serious? :D

I bought and paid for two Borderlands 2 4-packs, and they've now been removed from my account.

I avoided the "disgrace" part by not weeping uncontrollably over it. :bouncy:

[quote name='TheKbob']Now I am glad I didn't camp out to get a pack. Yeesh, too good to be true finally happened from a trusted gaming source?

Well,... Steam... War Z.

I'm sorry for you folks who are out your $30 with no games. That's poor business.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but Steam didn't really dick around once the shit really hit the fan with War Z and they came out and basically admittedly they let an unfinished buggy game slip by them and they took action.

[quote name='DonRamon']I got the Bethesda pack and was able to redeem a couple of keys, so this is mostly directed at others with half a pack delivered, but I guess it applies to anybody in this situation.

This really is a sorry situation for these people but they shouldn't have issued a public statement giving January as a possible deadline and implying they would honor their part of the transaction. Furthermore, it should've stopped right after the Bethesda incident, the BL2, GR and Patrician 4 "technical difficulties" really make you wonder, wtf is going on here?[/QUOTE]

While I don't necessarily agree with everything in this post, I think he makes an excellent suggestion.

Take screenshots now just in the off chance you need them later. For example, I took screenshots of my games library, steam library, the tweet GG sent indicating they were honoring the sale price they offered, and my paypal payment. Especially as I believe some people are reporting games disappearing from their libraries but not being contacted by GG.

Taking a screenshot is easy:
1. F11 the webpage so it takes up the entire monitor
2. Press CRTL + PrtSc/SysRq. The latter button is typically above the insert.
3. Open Paint. Typically it is Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->Paint
4. Mouse click paste or press CRTL + V
5. Save file
6. Repeat

[quote name='DonRamon']No dude, that wasn't sarcasm, I've been victim to online fraud a few times now and now know fully well what to do and what not to do.

If my post wasn't of your liking, take a hike, my view of it, you are getting one hell of a laugh out of other's disgrace, but that is your problem, not mine.[/QUOTE]

Keep it coming man, I'm falling out of my chair! :lol:

You must be an actor or something lol!

So did anyone get a refund email for the original $14.99 BL2 screw-up or the $7.49 season pass? Or is it just the Bethesda pack/BL2 4-pack so far?

I'm asking because I'm tempted to get the season pass from GMG but I'm worried that my copy of BL2 ($14.99) will get pulled from my Steam library. If that were the case, would having the season pass but no copy of BL2 be an issue?

For some people here, being out $30 or $60 may not be a big deal, for others it is. No reason to attack a guy when he's providing good info for those who want to pursue a refund that, after the past week of clown carring, there's no guarantee they'll receive.

[quote name='MKScorpion']So did anyone get a refund email for the original $14.99 BL2 screw-up or the $7.49 season pass? Or is it just the Bethesda pack/BL2 4-pack so far?

I'm asking because I'm tempted to get the season pass from GMG but I'm worried that my copy of BL2 ($14.99) will get pulled from my Steam library. If that were the case, would having the season pass but no copy of BL2 be an issue?[/QUOTE]
The only case I can remember with people losing keys is when a bunch of Dead Island keys were leaked/stolen/exploited. Most of those got revoked. Odds of you losing a key that you legally purchased are very low; I can't imagine Valve will tell GamersGate anything other than "tough shit" if they try and have the keys revoked.

Woohoo! My compensation email just arrived!

"We are delighted to offer you a permanent 15% discount on all Gamersgate purchases..."

o_O

edit: just in case some nutbars think this is serious, this is a JOKE.

[quote name='MKScorpion']So did anyone get a refund email for the original $14.99 BL2 screw-up or the $7.49 season pass?[/QUOTE]
My original $14.99 BL2 and $7.49 SP (less discounts!) still work just fine. Installed them on Steam and logged into the game and everything.

I feel better about having bought them after some people were saying "Bet you guys wish you had waited" when the 4-pack error dropped :lol:

[quote name='PenguinJim']Woohoo! My compensation email just arrived!

"We are delighted to offer you a permanent 15% discount on all Gamersgate purchases..."[/QUOTE]
:bs::^o

[quote name='Motoki']Mine came out of direct debit from my bank account and I don't have most of Bethesda keys yet so I think if they don't give the keys and don't refund I will be SOL. I don't think you can dispute an electronic funds transfer that comes straight from your checking account like you can with a credit card.[/QUOTE]
Yes you can. Call your bank and explain things, they should be able to help you.

[quote name='Genocidal']The only case I can remember with people losing keys is when a bunch of Dead Island keys were leaked/stolen/exploited. Most of those got revoked. Odds of you losing a key that you legally purchased are very low; I can't imagine Valve will tell GamersGate anything other than "tough shit" if they try and have the keys revoked.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Syntax Error']My original $14.99 BL2 and $7.49 SP (less discounts!) still work just fine. Installed them on Steam and logged into the game and everything.

I feel better about having bought them after some people were saying "Bet you guys wish you had waited" when the 4-pack error dropped :lol:[/QUOTE]

I feel better now. :)

The season pass is a Steam key right? I guess I can just buy the season pass and keep the Steam key and if my copy is still in my library after a month (or even longer since I have some other games in my backlog), I'll just redeem it. :D

[quote name='Genocidal']For some people here, being out $30 or $60 may not be a big deal, for others it is. No reason to attack a guy when he's providing good info for those who want to pursue a refund that, after the past week of clown carring, there's no guarantee they'll receive...[/QUOTE]

The problem is, people are really jumping the gun on this. For Christ's sake, this only happened within the span of the last week and a half. GamersGate isn't shady. They've made their mistakes, but give them some time to explain themselves and set things straight.

Have they ever done anything in the past, aside from the pricing mistakes, to make us believe that people should be worried about their money? They wouldn't do that...

Just relax and give them some time, it's the least you can do for them seeing as there are thousands of people who are in the SAME situation as many of you are.

To even be seriously thinking about lawsuits is insanely ridiculous. Be prepared, sure, but damn people... Take a chill pill and give them time to sort things out...

EDIT: Also, PayPal, as well as any other payment method that you are able to use with the site, take time. For all you know, a refund might be in the works.

What will happen tonight I have my F5 key ready.

So they are pulling Bethesda packs but mine is still in my inventory but I bought it as a gift on accident and gifted it to myself but I have no access to any keys since they are completely out. Haven't received anything about a refund yet.

Just to recap my current status with the Bethesda Bundle...

1.) I was one of the last to get in on the deal, I was confirming my purchase as they brought the site down that morning around 3:30 AM CST. I got a confirmation email and was able to go back in and verify my payment. I somehow went through the checkout process without ever being prompted to pay via paypal, so I had to go back into my order history and clear up the payment there.

2.) I then was one of the lucky one's that acted quick enough to claim/view 10 of the 11 steam keys. I wasn't planning on selling any of them and actually want them for myself, so I started activating them all on steam ASAP. The only one I couldn't activate was Fallout 3: GOTY, I kept getting an error stating they were out of codes for that and they had contacted the developers. Wasn't a big deal since I actually beat that game long along on the xbox, so if I don't get it I'm fine with just getting the other 10 for $28 and some change.

3.) I have not gotten an email stating a refund or an email stating that they had run out of keys and that I would get any missing ones in Jan. All my games are still in my GG library, I just can't get a code for the Fallout 3.

4.) I've started downloading the 10 games from steam onto my computer. Might backup the apps folder to play them off line if for some extreme reason they actually get revoked.

5.) I took took screenshots of my order history and game library at GG, the recent tweets, my paypal transaction and my steam library. I also keep every email they sent me on the night of the order incase something like this might happen.

So I'm not sure who all out there is in the same boat with me. I too would suggest grabbing screenshots of stuff. It doesn't hurt to have that stuff and I don't know if you'd need it or if it actually would help in a refund, dispute or anything of that nature. But again it only takes a few min and it doesn't hurt to grab it now before pages get updated and etc...

Personally I'm not sure what the history is with Steam yanking already redeemed codes, but I find it hard to believe that both Bethesda and Valve would go along with allowing GG to get the codes revoked unless they lied about how the codes were obtained. Most of us did it through legit means and at the point of redeeming the codes I'm not sure GG will have an easy way to pull them back.

[quote name='Severose']GamersGate isn't shady.[/QUOTE]
Just ridiculously incompetent and unwilling to take responsibility. They've lost any benefit of the doubt.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Just ridiculously incompetent and unwilling to take responsibility. They've lost any benefit of the doubt.[/QUOTE]

They've made mistakes, sure, but that doesn't mean that they won't make it right. Wait for at least one person to hear from support and post the response here, then we can start pointing fingers.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Just ridiculously incompetent and unwilling to take responsibility. They've lost any benefit of the doubt.[/QUOTE]
Didn't you just get Borderlands 2 AND the Season Pass together from GG for $21? :wall:

:applause:

As for the potential of revoking keys, I'm leaning toward what others here have said that Valve and the publishers won't go for it, however at this point I'd bet money that Gamersgate is still going to try.

I just have a hard time believing they would refund people for partially redeemed bundles and not try and get those keys back.

Of course they could have meant to only refund the fully unredeemed bundles and screwed that up too...

[quote name='Severose']They've made mistakes, sure, but that doesn't mean that they won't make it right. Wait for at least one person to hear from support and post the response here, then we can start pointing fingers.[/QUOTE]
Just like they "made it right" and offered all that support and communication over the IGN thing, right?

This isn't like Valve or Amazon making a mistake and you think "Well, they've done okay in the past". These guys are a bunch of jamokes. I'm not going to sit around with my thumb up my ass waiting for them to stop being jamokes.

[quote name='Severose']They've made mistakes, sure, but that doesn't mean that they won't make it right. Wait for at least one person to hear from support and post the response here, then we can start pointing fingers.[/QUOTE]

pollyannat.jpg

[quote name='PenguinJim']Didn't you just get Borderlands 2 AND the Season Pass together from GG for $21? :wall:[/QUOTE]
I did. Due to their incompetence, in fact. And...?

To make it clearer: GamersGate already revoked three purchases from me today (Bethesda, BL2 4-Pack, Ghost Recon) because they decided after the fact that they didn't really feel like honoring them after all. I don't credit them for not having taken my single BL2 as well and, if not for the fact that I already used the keys, I would be waiting for them to grab that as well.

[quote name='Genobyte']So is a chargeback valid in this situation since they aren't refunding what we ordered?[/QUOTE]

IMO no, not unless you get denied after contacting GG's support and asking for a refund. I don't understand why people would rather chargeback first rather than contact support first. Chargeback is something you should do as a final resort.. if you use it as your first option, you'll risk your future business with GG.

Yeah I could see them trying to pull back as many unredeemed codes and offering out refunds. That seems fairly easy as they can control what's on their site. However, once those keys are redeemed on Steam, GG is going to have to do more than a song a dance to convince both the developer and distributor that this is a good idea. Which from a PR stand point for both is not. For GG at this point they might not even care about the PR fallout as they try to recover the endless amounts of money they seem to be giving away from now. But for Valve and Bethesda, what's their motivation to piss off a decent sized group of people who obtained these keys through legitimate means.

Yeah refunding people a full amount even after redeeming some of the keys is a head scratcher. At this point either they somehow think they can get those redeemed keys back, or they f'ed up the refund process as well and started refunding people that they shouldn't. At this point I would put either past them after seeing the various missteps they've made this week.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Just like they "made it right" and offered all that support and communication over the IGN thing, right?

This isn't like Valve or Amazon making a mistake and you think "Well, they've done okay in the past". These guys are a bunch of jamokes. I'm not going to sit around with my thumb up my ass waiting for them to stop being jamokes.[/QUOTE]

The IGN thing was an exception. But honestly, that doesn't relate much to the current situation. The IGN discount was a discount, something that was offered as a loyalty program of sorts.

It's not unheard of for a company to offer something to attract new customers, and have to cancel that offer because the business grew. It happens, and they'll learn from it (actually, they probably won't). ;)

I gifted my brother the Skyrim, dishonored, fallout new Vegas keys. What will happen to them? I didn't recieve any email for. Gamers gate. He already has the Skyrim keys but the other keys are not available right now.

[quote name='Severose']The IGN thing was an exception. But honestly, that doesn't relate much to the current situation.[/QUOTE]
It relates a lot to what sort of company it is, how they communicate and how they stand by their word.

I can accept that you and I just use different measures to decide the value of a company though and you're willing to give them much more leeway than I am. That's fine but you should accept that other people have perfectly legitimate reasons for not trusting them as much as you do.

I don't think I'll be staying up as late tonight, so if some kind of once-in-a-lifetime deal happens to pop up again, would a kindly CAG pick up an extra copy for me? I kid, I kid. No, but really.

[quote name='Syntax Error']It relates a lot to what sort of company it is, how they communicate and how they stand by their word.

I can accept that you and I just use different measures to decide the value of a company though and you're willing to give them much more leeway than I am. That's fine but you should accept that other people have perfectly legitimate reasons for not trusting them as much as you do.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I completely accept that you don't trust them as much as I do. Different experiences, different outlooks. I'm just saying that, in my experience, I would advise you to give them time. If that doesn't say much, then that's completely fine by me. I'm not trying to defend them, I just telling you guys what experience I've had with them so that you can make informed decisions.

To each his own, no ill-intent. You make a good point.

[quote name='Tsel']I don't think I'll be staying up as late tonight, so if some kind of once-in-a-lifetime deal happens to pop up again, would a kindly CAG pick up an extra copy for me? I kid, I kid. No, but really.[/QUOTE]
In on XCOM 4-pack! I'll send you my $3.25 in the morning...

[quote name='Severose']The IGN thing was an exception. But honestly, that doesn't relate much to the current situation. The IGN discount was a discount, something that was offered as a loyalty program of sorts.

It's not unheard of for a company to offer something to attract new customers, and have to cancel that offer because the business grew. It happens, and they'll learn from it (actually, they probably won't). ;)[/QUOTE]

I think the problem most people had with the IGN incident is not so much the discount ending, which of course is a disappointment, but rather no notice and then their refusing to take any responsibility for the wording on their own site which obviously gave a different impression than what ended up happening.

Shit happens and I think most reasonable people understand that. Most reasonable people don't, however, understand the permanent doesn't mean permanent.

There are also some recent incidents with Indiefort where Gamersgate's customer service told people that a certain game did not come with Steam keys even though the developer stated he turned the Steam keys over to them. Had GG spent as much time checking into it as they did denying any responsibility and saying it was not their problem then they would have easily found out the developer did issue Steam keys.

Now they are refunding some people with partially redeemed bundles their money back after previously stating they would provide the keys when they could get them. Yet again they take action before announcing anything.

They had time to figure out what to do with this Bethesda bundle incident already and if they are going to take action then I think it would be best to have some sort of communication and dialog with the customers beyond some people finding a 'by the way we refunded your money' email in their box after they get the refund.

People have redeemed these keys, traded them, sold them and so forth and now no one knows what to do. Understandably people are nervous. If you aren't that's great but don't tell other people they don't have the right to be.

[quote name='sunghost']if you use it as your first option, you'll risk your future business with GG.[/QUOTE]
Given that I can't remember the last thing I bought there that didn't require the IGN discount to make it competitive or wasn't a price error, I think I'd rather be guaranteed to get my $60 back and take my chances with my "future business".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back