GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Syntax Error']To be fair to GamersGate (shudder), the SC: Conviction for $3.24 is the standard edition (84% off) and the $6.25 one is the Deluxe Edition (75% off). I don't think it was a price change so much as them changing which item was featured on the main "dailies" header.[/QUOTE]
Now the Standard Edition is 35% off at $12.95

GamersGate!! What is wrong with you?!?! #-o

[quote name='Tolyngee']A few days. Not even interested in Skyrim, but since it was part of the bundle, I figured I'd just go ahead and check for serials for every game.

So, I wasn't in any hurry to find it, so no, I'm positive I didn't even bother checking "right after" the "we'll get them in Jan" announcement. I honestly pretty much just reluctantly stumbled upon it because I thought I'd bother checking all of my serials.

But I went ahead and redeemed it on Steam. (I've never played any of the Oblivion games, so can't say I'm even interested.) But since I wasn't sure if having redeemed serials from the Pack might make a difference, I went ahead and redeemed it.

And, for the record, regardless of what GG ends up doing, I feel I did nothing wrong. When I bought it I waited for their announcement of "keys in Jan" before I even attempted to see if I had been granted serials at all, never mind redeeming.

But yes, I was fairly surprised to find Skyrim. Not only because it's a popular game (I know somehow who apparently plays it like 7 hours a day) so thought everyone would want it over being popular, but also because it's one of the higher-valued keys in the Pack for resell value, exception perhaps being Dishonored.

So, you'd think everyone bothered getting the serials that bought the Pack, based on that alone? Which leads me to think that maybe they just have plenty of Skyrim keys?[/QUOTE]

I can't remember where, but someone was saying how they were buying a Bethesda game (maybe Skyrim?) and were getting that "sorry we're out of keys, we'll contact the publisher" message.

Three guesses come to mind:
(a) GG's database is "leaking" keys for want of a better term
(b) every time GG loads more keys into their database they're free to be claimed first-come-first-serve, they can't differentiate between new purchasers and old purchasers
(c) your and the GL2 claimants' experiences are complete flukes

I just emailed GG support and asked them to remove GR:FW from my shelf since it wasn't going to have a code. The immediately emailed me back and said it had been removed (and it was).

My point is that they're ignoring the rest of you.

I purchased one Bethesda bundle, and was only able to redeem Skyrim and FO:NV thus far. I have not received a refund email, and my entire bundle still shows on my shelf (of course with the standard lack of keys). Oddly, I also never received a confirmation email initially when I bought the bundle (although I did get an email from Moneybooker, which I used to purchase and I have received confirmations from GG in the past and since the bundle). Hopefully when they reload keys I can obtain them...

[quote name='soulkyo']Have you guys got your refunds from the Bethesda pack? I haven't yet, maybe because I bought it as a gift and gift it to myself. Anyone else with this same problem? I submitted a ticket yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat as you. I was waiting to hear what happens next week before submitting a ticket for a refund. I highly doubt I will get any of the keys. I am to a point I don't even really care anymore I just want my $30 back.

[quote name='kiwimonster']I am in the same boat as you. I was waiting to hear what happens next week before submitting a ticket for a refund. I highly doubt I will get any of the keys. I am to a point I don't even really care anymore I just want my $30 back.[/QUOTE]

Excellent avatar.

[quote name='nategator']Excellent avatar.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Syntax Error']I dunno. I forgot to read his post.[/QUOTE]

It took reading both of these comments for me to even take notice.

I don't get it.

I got the refund, my orders shows as cancelled, BUT I already activated all of the keys exept for FO:GOTY and Rage... so, should i be afraid? or "free games gg" ?

[quote name='walkonshadows']Procedure to decrypt and backup GamersGate Game Setup Files:

The installer contact's their servers to unencrypt the installer setup.exe file. I already have all of my GamersGate installers backed up using the following procedure (and you should do it too for any games your worried about losing access to). Which basically removes the need for the installer to contact GamersGate at all, making it a normal unencrypted game installer, taking GamersGate completely out of the equation. You are only backing up the installer files, not installing the game. So this directly answers the question by the poster above.

1. Download installer to an empty directory (preferably already named for the game you are downloading).

2. It should launch into the games setup after downloading. Do not close it, but don't start installing either.

3. Navigate to folder where downloader was stored.

4. You will see the downloader file, and a folder with a random number like "435678", that is the folder where the setup files are stored and currently unencrypted (because the installer is open).

5. Copy all of the contents of the random number folder: example "435678" to the root game folder (where you downloaded the original single .exe file to start downloading the game installation files).

6. After that copy is complete, close the game's setup. It will ask to delete or keep the games setup files, select delete (this will delete the random number folder. Now delete the .exe file (always named for the game your downloading) that downloads the setup files and your done.

7. Done. Some games did come with a serial that will be present of the game's page on your "digital shelf" (look on the right just below the game's profile/avatar pic). Be sure to copy it to a text file in the root game installer folder.

If I didn't explain this well, here's another guide (on GOG of all places):

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/he...ndentify_binary_changes_in_the_launch_f/post1
[/QUOTE]

Trick doesn't seem to work for "Space Rangers 2" or "Space Rangers 2 Reboot". It converts the launcher for a split-second, but then it converts it right back and I get the pop-up asking me if I want to delete the content or not.

Gonna skip those for now and see if I run into any other snags.

[quote name='ddearce']I don't get it.

I got the refund, my orders shows as cancelled, BUT I already activated all of the keys exept for FO:GOTY and Rage... so, should i be afraid? or "free games gg" ?[/QUOTE]
My guess , the latter.

Lucky hah

[quote name='The End']Trick doesn't seem to work for "Space Rangers 2" or "Space Rangers 2 Reboot". It converts the launcher for a split-second, but then it converts it right back and I get the pop-up asking me if I want to delete the content or not.

Gonna skip those for now and see if I run into any other snags.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make sense to me. When does it ask to delete the content? when you copy the running .exe?? It can't just immediately close to the "delete temp files" dialog when it decrypts the .exe or you'd never be able to install the game. I don't have those 2 games, so I need a little clarity to help you out.

[quote name='kiwimonster']I am in the same boat as you. I was waiting to hear what happens next week before submitting a ticket for a refund. I highly doubt I will get any of the keys. I am to a point I don't even really care anymore I just want my $30 back.[/QUOTE]

I submitted a ticket and wrote to [email protected]. Still no answer. There are some users that actually got some keys and their full refund. Some, in the other hand, got neither refund nor keys (my case). I guess we'll have to wait :(

[quote name='walkonshadows']That doesn't make sense to me. When does it ask to delete the content? when you copy the running .exe?? It can't just immediately close to the "delete temp files" dialog when it decrypts the .exe or you'd never be able to install the game. I don't have those 2 games, so I need a little clarity to help you out.[/QUOTE]

With the previous 60 or so games that I downloaded, I would click on the download manager that I downloaded from GamersGate. Then a security window from Microsoft would pop up asking if I really wanted to download this. I click "yes", and then the download begins. As soon as the download finishes, I get two separate windows that pop up. One is the actual installer with a menu of items to select (Run, Settings, Install, Uninstall, Manual & Quit). The other one is the window from Gamersgate that usually only pops up AFTER you have chosen to exit out of the installer. It has selections that read:

* Remove Temporary Files (Recommended if Instillation was successful)
* Keep Temporary Files (If you want to run the installer again)
* Restart Installer

The "Launch" file in my download location is encrypted. If I click away the installer and select "Restart Installer" from the Gamersgate window pop-up, I can momentarily see the "launch" file un-encrypt, then quickly re-encrypt. It happens much too fast for me to copy the file.

Oh, on another note, the download managers from Gamersgate are apparently only good for 24 hours. I just started getting prompted to log-in when I clicked on them. Last night I had just decided to download all the download manager links to save me the hassle of having to go back to the website each time. I've just gone past the 24 hour point from when I did that. So I assume that's what was happening. I just re-downloaded a few of the links and I was no longer being prompted to log-in.

EDIT: Oh and I wasn't necessarily asking for you to come to my aid. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was putting you on the spot. I'm not sure if there is a fix to this. Looks like it's just a quirk of that particular game. I quoted your post so that people would know what the hell I was talking about.

Does anyone know if the version they sell of BF3 is the Limited Edition or standard edition? Im trying to get a second copy for another computer on the cheap. Would make it pretty sweet if I could get the LE.

@The End Ohh, so you can't install the game at all. I guess throw a support ticket (an actual one) their way before they go belly up. The Gamersgate menu is detecting the installer "closing", but can't tell the difference between a crash and a user wanting to exit. Windows could be shutting it down automatically due to programing conflicts on GamersGate's end. Try this:

1. turn off DEP (just temporary, turn back on after successful copy of the .exe) Here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-Data-Execution-Prevention-settings
2. turn off all antivirus, and windows firewall (again just for this)
3. Control Panel--->Internet Options--> Custom level--->scroll down to "launching applications and unsafe files" and select "enable". (yes, microsoft buried this settings in internet options even though it applies system wide)
4. right click and run gamersgate install as "administrator"

If that didn't work, then you'll have to contact their support, be sure to change all your settings back.

[quote name='walkonshadows']@The End Ohh, so you can't install the game at all. I guess throw a support ticket (an actual one) their way before they go belly up. The Gamersgate menu is detecting the installer "closing", but can't tell the difference between a crash and a user wanting to exit. Windows could be shutting it down automatically due to programing conflicts on GamersGate's end. Try this:

1. turn off DEP (just temporary, turn back on after successful copy of the .exe) Here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-Data-Execution-Prevention-settings
2. turn off all antivirus, and windows firewall (again just for this)
3. Control Panel--->Internet Options--> Custom level--->scroll down to "launching applications and unsafe files" and select "enable". (yes, microsoft buried this settings in internet options even though it applies system wide)
4. right click and run gamersgate install as "administrator"

If that didn't work, then you'll have to contact their support, be sure to change all your settings back.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I haven't tried to install any of the games. I've just been following the instructions that you laid out to back-up the instillation files. I didn't have any trouble with the first 60 games that I backed up. And I haven't had any trouble with the 8 games that I've tried since moving on from the Space Rangers 2 snafu. It was just SR2 & the expansion game, SR2 Reloaded. Everything else has been smooth (albeit time consuming) sailing.

[quote name='The End']Actually, I haven't tried to install any of the games. I've just been following the instructions that you laid out to back-up the instillation files. I didn't have any trouble with the first 60 games that I backed up. And I haven't had any trouble with the 8 games that I've tried since moving on from the Space Rangers 2 snafu. It was just SR2 & the expansion game, SR2 Reloaded. Everything else has been smooth (albeit time consuming) sailing.[/QUOTE]

Right, I'm still talking about corying the .exe without installing the game. My understanding was that as soon as you launched the Gamersgate .exe to install the game, it would immediately crash the installer and bounce to gamergate asking to delete the installer files. My theory is that the game's setup .exe is being flagged by a program (firewall,antivirus,DEP, other windows protections, etc.) shutting it down immediatley, and thereby causing the gamersgate code to believe you purposefully closed the games setup file. That list was meant to eliminate those possibilities.

Oh Ok. I guess it's worth a shot.

I'm gonna continue on with the games after SR2 for now, and I'll double back and try SR2 after I'm done. Probably wont get to it until tomorrow. I'll post the results when I have them though.

I bought the Bethesda bundle on the 22nd, but wasn't able to finish the actual payment process until the 23rd. At that time, no keys were left. But I was still able to put the bundle on my shelf and see it in my list of games. The January wait was fine as I have played everything in the bundle already on console.

Fast forward to now, and everything is FUBAR. The Bethesda bundle is still on my shelf, but it is gone from my list of games (I have no idea what the difference is.) My order still says completed and no sign of a force refund anywhere. Paypal says everything is cool, and I never received an email.

I just really wanted Skyrim and the Fallouts. Skyrim is on sale now on Steam. Am I going to get a forced refund? Will I get the bundle after all? Should I buy Skyrim now on Steam? I am afraid that waiting for GamersGate to figure this out will cause me to miss the Steam sale.

Do we think anyone is going to get keys in January?

For all those doing the "copy my installer-folder" real-quick trick for Gamersgate's games before your game installer's EXE gets destroyed...
...This is ALSO valid for games you download directly from UPlay & GameFly, as well.

With those two - you'll want to make sure AFTER you download the game, that you copy your entire folder elsewhere - with the installer EXE file intact, of course.
That's before you click INSTALL in UPlay's or GameFly's browser, that you backed your stuff up elsewhere; OR that you just close the browser program and then decide to run the EXE outside of the game-program.

[quote name='Taskbarbarian']I bought the Bethesda bundle on the 22nd, but wasn't able to finish the actual payment process until the 23rd. At that time, no keys were left. But I was still able to put the bundle on my shelf and see it in my list of games. The January wait was fine as I have played everything in the bundle already on console.

Fast forward to now, and everything is FUBAR. The Bethesda bundle is still on my shelf, but it is gone from my list of games (I have no idea what the difference is.) My order still says completed and no sign of a force refund anywhere. Paypal says everything is cool, and I never received an email.

I just really wanted Skyrim and the Fallouts. Skyrim is on sale now on Steam. Am I going to get a forced refund? Will I get the bundle after all? Should I buy Skyrim now on Steam? I am afraid that waiting for GamersGate to figure this out will cause me to miss the Steam sale.

Do we think anyone is going to get keys in January?[/QUOTE]

My guess is, you're shit out of luck. Anybody who didn't managed to get and redeem any keys, will not be getting any keys in January. It's fairly clean and simple for them to just cancel your order and issue you a refund.

It's a little bit more convoluted for people who actually got some of their keys. But that obviously doesn't apply to you. Sorry man. :(

Site says today's deals are good for 3.5 more hours. I wonder if that's an error or if they intentionally pushed back the flip time two hours. I'm not saying up until 5am to find out, that's for sure.

[quote name='Tolyngee']A few days. Not even interested in Skyrim, but since it was part of the bundle, I figured I'd just go ahead and check for serials for every game.

So, I wasn't in any hurry to find it, so no, I'm positive I didn't even bother checking "right after" the "we'll get them in Jan" announcement. I honestly pretty much just reluctantly stumbled upon it because I thought I'd bother checking all of my serials.

But I went ahead and redeemed it on Steam. (I've never played any of the Oblivion games, so can't say I'm even interested.) But since I wasn't sure if having redeemed serials from the Pack might make a difference, I went ahead and redeemed it.

And, for the record, regardless of what GG ends up doing, I feel I did nothing wrong. When I bought it I waited for their announcement of "keys in Jan" before I even attempted to see if I had been granted serials at all, never mind redeeming.

But yes, I was fairly surprised to find Skyrim. Not only because it's a popular game (I know somehow who apparently plays it like 7 hours a day) so thought everyone would want it over being popular, but also because it's one of the higher-valued keys in the Pack for resell value, exception perhaps being Dishonored.

So, you'd think everyone bothered getting the serials that bought the Pack, based on that alone? Which leads me to think that maybe they just have plenty of Skyrim keys?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='nategator']I can't remember where, but someone was saying how they were buying a Bethesda game (maybe Skyrim?) and were getting that "sorry we're out of keys, we'll contact the publisher" message.

Three guesses come to mind:
(a) GG's database is "leaking" keys for want of a better term
(b) every time GG loads more keys into their database they're free to be claimed first-come-first-serve, they can't differentiate between new purchasers and old purchasers
(c) your and the GL2 claimants' experiences are complete flukes[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Taskbarbarian']I bought the Bethesda bundle on the 22nd, but wasn't able to finish the actual payment process until the 23rd. At that time, no keys were left. But I was still able to put the bundle on my shelf and see it in my list of games. The January wait was fine as I have played everything in the bundle already on console.

Do we think anyone is going to get keys in January?[/QUOTE]

Please note that none of what I am about to say is intended to imply anything about the credibility of what Taskbarbarian is saying. That's not my purpose for posting.

But I would like to re-state what I said above: I was able to get my Skyrim Steam key *AFTER* GG stated they'd fulfill our missing keys in Jan.

This *AFTER* is also after Taskbarbarian above says that he was unable to get any keys out of his pack, INCLUDING Skyrim.

Why was Task not able to get a Skyrim key, but later on I was?

Nate's three guesses are interesting when considering what's happened to me and Task?

But, I still don't understand why there are/were any Skyrim keys left. Right now it's *ONLY* marked down to $30, and it's THE TOP SELLER ON STEAM.

Why weren't people mad crazy to grab all of the Skyrim keys from their GG Bethesda Packs, as it appeared to me when I was able to grab one and redeem one?

And why was I able to grab and redeem one after Task?

Is it because I paid first, so the key was removed from their inventory and granted to me the moment payment goes through?

If we are to assume that: then why does GG's system allow it to continue taking orders when it should be possible for the system to tell it is out of stock?

But I bought my pack very early on into the madness that day. I had very little trouble getting my payment to go through. So, again, as far as I can tell, I was an early bird.

So, that's why I figured when I found no keys (with the exception of Skyrim), that I had lost out by now trying to view (and then redeem) my keys immediately, as people viewed theirs first, and that's how the system grants keys in order, by when people bother to view them. (As I said, I was waiting to know what GG's plans were regarding the sale before I did anything. Only once they said "keys in Jan" did I bother to attempt anything with my keys, as I didn't want to touch it if it was just going to be refunded.)

But Task's experience makes me think it's based on when your payment went through, and that I was wrong.

If that's the case: just how many additional orders did GG take on *AFTER* their system at minimum could have been aware it was out of keys? If they ran out of keys very early on, a lot of people wasted their time trying to get in on that pack, just to have it now hopefully get refunded in a timely manner.

Ah, what does it matter. Either way, GG really needs to fix their system. Just rubs me wrong if the system knows it is OOS and isn't programmed to stop accepting orders. It means GG's maybe not legally to blame since they can just refund based on their TOS...

but customer relations/service-wise, they certainly are.

It means they basically took your money right now for a mid-Jan pre-order, at best.

EDIT: I want to make it clear that GG's system only stopped accepting Bethesda Pack payments from being processed after they *MANUALLY* stopped it. Their system is not programmed to be able to *AUTOMATICALLY* do this. It took human intervention to stop their system from accepting payments. That IMO is very wrong.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Site says today's deals are good for 3.5 more hours. I wonder if that's an error or if they intentionally pushed back the flip time two hours. I'm not saying up until 5am to find out, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

That's well into afternoon in Sweden. So, I guess it suggests their competent IT personnel aren't morning persons?

Persons? Who am I kidding. Person. One. (If we're lucky)

I think mispricing and refunds are one things, accidents happen. However, with people being promised codes in January to be reneged on and some people having their money basically sat on while GG claims "WINTER BREAK" is... more than a little shady.

I can't say I'm all too inspired by their work, as a bystander. My suggestion is just cut your losses, don't use them in the future, and actively recommend others do the same. Used 'em a few times in the past but far as I'm concerned, they no longer exist, no way I can trust my money to people like this.

If you struggle to get your money back next week still, probably need to just go for a chargeback. Let them eat the fee and think about how they should run their shit in the future.

[quote name='Tolyngee']Please note that none of what I am about to say is intended to imply anything about the credibility of what Taskbarbarian is saying. That's not my purpose for posting.

But I would like to re-state what I said above: I was able to get my Skyrim Steam key *AFTER* GG stated they'd fulfill our missing keys in Jan.

This *AFTER* is also after Taskbarbarian above says that he was unable to get any keys out of his pack, INCLUDING Skyrim.

Why was Task not able to get a Skyrim key, but later on I was?
[/QUOTE]

Here's all we really know for sure. GG is run by a bunch of fuckups. :D

Pretty f*cked up of GG to quickly remove these games yet not give refunds out. I still have $22.50 from the BL2 packs with them.

I had a feeling they'd cancel the orders, but with that comes the return of the money.

Solution for GG? Don't take any money unless keys are available. How about adding a f*cking stock system like other retailers. You obviously need it with your constant price mistakes.

[quote name='Stonekeep']88% on Street Fighter X Tekken... for how long? 2 minutes?[/QUOTE]
Well... at least it looks like they fixed this one quickly. :lol:

XCom at 25% off for $37.46.

Wow congratulations Gamersgate you managed to have an even shittier sale price than Steam did, except you don't have the client or anywhere near their traffic to pull it off.

Meanwhile it was $20 cheaper a couple of days ago at Greenmangaming.

[quote name='Motoki']XCom at 25% off for $37.46.

Wow congratulations Gamersgate you managed to have an even shittier sale price than Steam did, except you don't have the client or anywhere near their traffic to pull it off.

Meanwhile it was $20 cheaper a couple of days ago at Greenmangaming.[/QUOTE]

That's actually an old daily. It was either 33 percent off or 50 a day or so ago. They're just taking forever to remove dailies now.

Just a question/comment regarding your game shelf... I see a few people mentioning that games have been removed from their shelf. For me this is odd as I have never had any games on my shelf. Granted, prior to this debacle, I had only purchased 1 game (plus the free Volvo game). Has anyone's shelf been like this or was my Mom correct in saying that I am "unique".

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Just a question/comment regarding your game shelf... I see a few people mentioning that games have been removed from their shelf. For me this is odd as I have never had any games on my shelf. Granted, prior to this debacle, I had only purchased 1 game (plus the free Volvo game). Has anyone's shelf been like this or was my Mom correct in saying that I am "unique".[/QUOTE]

Mine were never on the "shelf" tab. They were on the "all games" tab, which is listed as a subsection of "my shelf" in the menu on the left. So, they were part of "my shelf," but not my "shelf." :roll:

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Just a question/comment regarding your game shelf... I see a few people mentioning that games have been removed from their shelf. For me this is odd as I have never had any games on my shelf. Granted, prior to this debacle, I had only purchased 1 game (plus the free Volvo game). Has anyone's shelf been like this or was my Mom correct in saying that I am "unique".[/QUOTE]
My shelf is empty as well. Looks like you arrange it yourself by clicking the icon on the upper right corner of it.

[quote name='yaynick']Mine were never on the "shelf" tab. They were on the "all games" tab, which is listed as a subsection of "my shelf" in the menu on the left. So, they were part of "my shelf," but not my "shelf." :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yep, same here.

[quote name='plft']My shelf is empty as well. Looks like you arrange it yourself by clicking the icon on the upper right corner of it.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. I guess I was thinking it was more like GOG. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back