GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Motoki']Yeah someone else posted that earlier. Except he doesn't really "respond" at all, he just talks in circles and you don't come away from that interview with anymore information than before you read it.[/QUOTE]
It tells us that they really don't want to let us know what's going on. :whistle2:|

[quote name='DonRamon']oops, he mentioned Risen and I got all aroused it was a sub genre of RPG gaming called SMP....lol![/QUOTE]
sl_QqysoeEWJ8y0K7EIq0Q2.jpg

[quote name='Syntax Error']I think it's because I lived through that once that I have a low tolerance for crap graphics and little love for the "retro 8-bit indie" style. I didn't wait through thirty years of blocky graphics just to go back to it because "the game play is so good!". Too many games with good game play AND modern graphics.

Of course, I just bought Hotline Miami since everyone gushes about it so it better knock my socks off. $2.50 was the price point for me to take a stab at it.

Sid Meiers' Pirates! I assume.

I have a copy and enjoy it (even the changes over the classic Commodore era version) but it glitches terribly and mistimes when I do the dancing part on my Win 7 box. Worked fine on my old Win XP box. I've changed some hardware since then so maybe someday I'll reinstall it and see if that made a difference.[/QUOTE]

I'm okay with some old graphics but it depends on which ones we are talking about here. Most 2D stuff from the 8-bit era up (I'll be honest, I won't be playing Atari Adventure any time soon) I am okay with but I feel like that era in the late 90s and early 2000s in the early days of 3D polygonal graphics has aged especially terribly.

It's a shame too because I really do love some of those games like Gothic 2 and Wizardy 8 but you look at those heinous blocky heads and it looks awful. Like Minecraft but worse because it's not even trying to be stylized. That was all they could do with the 3D processing hardware at the time.

Now if you compare those to 2D games of the same era or in some cases earlier, I think those games have aged much better. Baldur's Gate was released around that time and I still think it looks quite good. It's really not that far off from the look of something like Diablo III (just talking visuals, not play style here). Beamdog didn't even really have to do much to it for the re-release.

Oh and I want that damned SMP but it never goes below 50% off. :bomb:

May have to cave one day and buy it at 50 off but not now. Spent too much this go round already.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Procedure to decrypt and backup GamersGate Game Setup Files:

The installer contact's their servers to unencrypt the installer setup.exe file. I already have all of my GamersGate installers backed up using the following procedure (and you should do it too for any games your worried about losing access to). Which basically removes the need for the installer to contact GamersGate at all, making it a normal unencrypted game installer, taking GamersGate completely out of the equation. You are only backing up the installer files, not installing the game. So this directly answers the question by the poster above.

1. Download installer to an empty directory (preferably already named for the game you are downloading).

2. It should launch into the games setup after downloading. Do not close it, but don't start installing either.

3. Navigate to folder where downloader was stored.

4. You will see the downloader file, and a folder with a random number like "435678", that is the folder where the setup files are stored and currently unencrypted (because the installer is open).

5. Copy all of the contents of the random number folder: example "435678" to the root game folder (where you downloaded the original single .exe file to start downloading the game installation files).

6. After that copy is complete, close the game's setup. It will ask to delete or keep the games setup files, select delete (this will delete the random number folder. Now delete the .exe file (always named for the game your downloading) that downloads the setup files and your done.

7. Done. Some games did come with a serial that will be present of the game's page on your "digital shelf" (look on the right just below the game's profile/avatar pic). Be sure to copy it to a text file in the root game installer folder.

If I didn't explain this well, here's another guide (on GOG of all places):

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/he...ndentify_binary_changes_in_the_launch_f/post1
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The End']Trick doesn't seem to work for "Space Rangers 2" or "Space Rangers 2 Reboot".
It converts the launcher for a split-second, but then it converts it right back and I get the pop-up asking me if I want to delete the content or not.

Gonna skip those for now and see if I run into any other snags.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='walkonshadows']
That doesn't make sense to me. When does it ask to delete the content? when you copy the running .exe?? It can't just immediately close to the "delete temp files" dialog when it decrypts the .exe or you'd never be able to install the game. I don't have those 2 games, so I need a little clarity to help you out.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The End']
With the previous 60 or so games that I downloaded, I would click on the download manager that I downloaded from GamersGate. Then a security window from Microsoft would pop up asking if I really wanted to download this. I click "yes", and then the download begins. As soon as the download finishes, I get two separate windows that pop up. One is the actual installer with a menu of items to select (Run, Settings, Install, Uninstall, Manual & Quit). The other one is the window from Gamersgate that usually only pops up AFTER you have chosen to exit out of the installer. It has selections that read:

* Remove Temporary Files (Recommended if Instillation was successful)
* Keep Temporary Files (If you want to run the installer again)
* Restart Installer

The "Launch" file in my download location is encrypted. If I click away the installer and select "Restart Installer" from the Gamersgate window pop-up, I can momentarily see the "launch" file un-encrypt, then quickly re-encrypt. It happens much too fast for me to copy the file.

Oh, on another note, the download managers from Gamersgate are apparently only good for 24 hours. I just started getting prompted to log-in when I clicked on them. Last night I had just decided to download all the download manager links to save me the hassle of having to go back to the website each time. I've just gone past the 24 hour point from when I did that. So I assume that's what was happening. I just re-downloaded a few of the links and I was no longer being prompted to log-in.

EDIT: Oh and I wasn't necessarily asking for you to come to my aid. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was putting you on the spot. I'm not sure if there is a fix to this. Looks like it's just a quirk of that particular game. I quoted your post so that people would know what the hell I was talking about.
[/QUOTE]

@The End Ohh, so you can't install the game at all. I guess throw a support ticket (an actual one) their way before they go belly up. The Gamersgate menu is detecting the installer "closing", but can't tell the difference between a crash and a user wanting to exit. Windows could be shutting it down automatically due to programing conflicts on GamersGate's end. Try this:

1. turn off DEP (just temporary, turn back on after successful copy of the .exe) Here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-Data-Execution-Prevention-settings
2. turn off all antivirus, and windows firewall (again just for this)
3. Control Panel--->Internet Options--> Custom level--->scroll down to "launching applications and unsafe files" and select "enable". (yes, microsoft buried this settings in internet options even though it applies system wide)
4. right click and run gamersgate install as "administrator"

If that didn't work, then you'll have to contact their support, be sure to change all your settings back.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The End']
Actually, I haven't tried to install any of the games. I've just been following the instructions that you laid out to back-up the instillation files. I didn't have any trouble with the first 60 games that I backed up. And I haven't had any trouble with the 8 games that I've tried since moving on from the Space Rangers 2 snafu. It was just SR2 & the expansion game, SR2 Reloaded. Everything else has been smooth (albeit time consuming) sailing.
[/QUOTE]

Right, I'm still talking about corying the .exe without installing the game. My understanding was that as soon as you launched the Gamersgate .exe to install the game, it would immediately crash the installer and bounce to gamergate asking to delete the installer files. My theory is that the game's setup .exe is being flagged by a program (firewall,antivirus,DEP, other windows protections, etc.) shutting it down immediatley, and thereby causing the gamersgate code to believe you purposefully closed the games setup file. That list was meant to eliminate those possibilities.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The End']
Oh Ok. I guess it's worth a shot.

I'm gonna continue on with the games after SR2 for now, and I'll double back and try SR2 after I'm done. Probably wont get to it until tomorrow. I'll post the results when I have them though.
[/QUOTE]

Well I've tried all that, but it didn't work. So it was apparently just something weird with Space Rangers 2. I was able to download all the other 1C games without a problem.

Honestly, I don't ever care all that much anymore. I'm only bothering to post about it because you went out of your way to try and help me with this walkonshadows. So I figured at the very least, I owed you a report on the results. Though I guess it might come in handy with anybody else who bought the 1C pack and is thinking about backing up the installer files.

[quote name='The End']Well I've tried all that, but it didn't work. So it was apparently just something weird with Space Rangers 2. I was able to download all the other 1C games without a problem.

Honestly, I don't ever care all that much anymore. I'm only bothering to post about it because you went out of your way to try and help me with this walkonshadows. So I figured at the very least, I owed you a report on the results. Though I guess it might come in handy with anybody else who bought the 1C pack and is thinking about backing up the installer files.[/QUOTE]

Roger that. Gonna take a more knowledgeable person than me. I wonder however if it isn't possible to just copy/paste the game folder that has already been installed as a backup? along with any executables (directX,etc) that the installer came with.

[quote name='Motoki']I'm okay with some old graphics but it depends on which ones we are talking about here. Most 2D stuff from the 8-bit era up (I'll be honest, I won't be playing Atari Adventure any time soon) I am okay with but I feel like that era in the late 90s and early 2000s in the early days of 3D polygonal graphics has aged especially terribly.[/QUOTE]
That's true. There's some perfectly nice 2D graphics (and I'm not opposed to anything not cutting edge; just the "it's okay to look like crap because it's so retro" schtick) but the early 3D stuff was an uncomfortable period in retrospect. I'd be more likely to play DOOM with its sprites than early Tomb Raider with the jagged polygons and awful skins.

Just finished with the download of the 1c collection - ~145GB

For the two unusual installs (Space Rangers 2 and Space Rangers 2 Reboot), Setup.exe is actually created somewhere else:

c:\windows\setup_rangers_2.exe

c:\windows = where the OS is installed

Copy the file to your install backup directory and you'll have all the files for future installations. You can even rename it to setup.exe

I might be hella late to the party on this one but I noticed today that the iamaneldergeek coupon code, which is supposed to remove 5% from one item in your cart, works to remove a flat 5% off the total when buying blue coins. One $5 coin buy and one $1 coin buy cost me $5.70 total. A lot more convenient than buying coins one at a time -- it's annoying enough to have to do it two at a time.

Anyway, went with Risen 2 for $6.65 after all the discounts, etc not counting coins rewarded back.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I might be hella late to the party on this one but I noticed today that the iamaneldergeek coupon code, which is supposed to remove 5% from one item in your cart, works to remove a flat 5% off the total when buying blue coins. One $5 coin buy and one $1 coin buy cost me $5.70 total. A lot more convenient than buying coins one at a time -- it's annoying enough to have to do it two at a time.[/QUOTE]

It's always been like this - a 5000 blue coin purchase is considered one item in your cart. I just stocked up as well since, if you think about it, getting 5% off from the BlueCoins purchase plus another 5% off from the game purchase effectively gives you 10% off in total.

[quote name='seamoss']It's always been like this - a 5000 blue coin purchase is considered one item in your cart. I just stocked up as well since, if you think about it, getting 5% off from the BlueCoins purchase plus another 5% off from the game purchase effectively gives you 10% off in total.[/QUOTE]
No, my cart had
(1) 5,000 BC - $5.00
(1) 1,000 BC - $1.00

For a total of $6.00. When I typed in the "iamaneldergeek" code, it only showed a 25¢ deduct in the cart (5% of $5.00) but the little pre-pay invoice thing GG does said $5.70 and, sure enough, PayPal only charged me $5.70 instead of the $5.75 it showed in the cart.

We're only talking a nickle here but this might me useful if you're trying to buy (2) $20 packs or something.

[quote name='Syntax Error']No, my cart had
(1) 5,000 BC - $5.00
(1) 1,000 BC - $1.00

For a total of $6.00. When I typed in the "iamaneldergeek" code, it only showed a 25¢ deduct in the cart (5% of $5.00) but the little pre-pay invoice thing GG does said $5.70 and, sure enough, PayPal only charged me $5.70 instead of the $5.75 it showed in the cart.

We're only talking a nickle here but this might me useful if you're trying to buy (2) $20 packs or something.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see what you mean now. In fact, I didn't even realize till now that the coupon only took 5% off a single game instead of the total purchase so that's good to know (moral: buy each game separately). Thanks!

Actually, it only takes it off the cheapest item so it's more of a savings than I thought...

My cart:
BUQqQ.png
My invoice (and amount I paid):
nQpHY.png

[quote name='Syntax Error']Actually, it only takes it off the cheapest item so it's more of a savings than I thought...

My cart:
BUQqQ.png
nQpHY.png
[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ! Did they purposefully design their entire system to f' up everything!?! How the hell can they be so incompetent!?!

[quote name='happypants']Just finished with the download of the 1c collection - ~145GB

For the two unusual installs (Space Rangers 2 and Space Rangers 2 Reboot), Setup.exe is actually created somewhere else:

c:\windows\setup_rangers_2.exe

c:\windows = where the OS is installed

Copy the file to your install backup directory and you'll have all the files for future installations. You can even rename it to setup.exe[/QUOTE]

I envy you, is Real Warfare 1 and 2 included?

[quote name='Motoki']Well, hmm, don't expect Shakespeare. Risen 2 doesn't take itself too seriously and can be silly at times. I like it overall, but there are some corny jokes here and there.

I think it did a good job creating a fun pirate environment but I wouldn't call it dark and gritty either. I felt like it did a good job at being humorous without going overboard (most of the time).

Basically, it's kind of a grand pirate adventure. Something along the tone of Pirates of the Caribbean.

If you go in expecting serious bidness you may be disappointed but if you want a pirate adventure I thought it was a lot of fun.

*ETA: There are decisions but they don't usually effect the game hugely. The biggest one comes down to whether you side with one particular faction or another about a third of the way in. Then that effects which party member you get and whether you go for a ranged combat or magic style.[/QUOTE]

Oh I didn't mean it has to be serious business. A game doesn't have to be serious to have a good story.

I just like game with a lot of story Focus.

Hmm considering that Disciples pack. Never tried it but it looks good. Are we sure it is a pricing error? What am I saying, of course we are.

[quote name='Corpekata']It was 75 percent off all day, 50 percent it's been all week.[/QUOTE]
Okay, well the daily deal timer still hasn't expired but prices might have been changing at their old usual time of 12 PT.

I think they're having a reverse price error on their Dragon Age Ultimate Collection deal of the day. They're charging just over $20 for it when it has been included in a DA bundle with Dragon Age 2 for $15 the past couple weeks. Perhaps they're just so lacking in fondness of 2 that they feel 1 is worth more by itself?

[quote name='DarthWoo']I think they're having a reverse price error on their Dragon Age Ultimate Collection deal of the day. They're charging just over $20 for it when it has been included in a DA bundle with Dragon Age 2 for $15 the past couple weeks. Perhaps they're just so lacking in fondness of 2 that they feel 1 is worth more by itself?[/QUOTE]

No, it was just 7.50 the other day. We've been over this multiple times in the thread. They are taking forever to remove their previous dailies so at this time of night it looks like they have a bunch of terrible sales prices as they are removing the daily discount but not removing it from the front page fast enough.

so they just sent me a survey to ask me to rate them highly about my incident with missing steam keys.

i voted them a 5

/sarcasm

[quote name='Reraise']so they just sent me a survey to ask me to rate them highly about my incident with missing steam keys.

i voted them a 5

/sarcasm[/QUOTE]
Did they really send you a survey?

[quote name='Detruire']Did they really send you a survey?[/QUOTE]

Yup, it said there are a few multiple choice questions.

All it had, was 1-5 rating and "any other information" box.

i made sure to fill it.

I actually have a pending unpaid order in from yesterday for the $3.75 Renegade Ops 4 pack, plus I added two copies of The Last Remnant and the Xcom DLC I wanted to get the buy 4 get one free. It all comes out to $10 once I use blue coins but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it because I'd have to unload the stuff except for the Xcom DLC and who knows what will happen to it?

Probably nothing, but still.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Actually, it only takes it off the cheapest item so it's more of a savings than I thought...

My cart:
BUQqQ.png
nQpHY.png
[/QUOTE]

Just a word of warning, don't get extra cheap and try to do multiple transactions for 1K blue coins with IAMANELDERGEEK, then another, then another.

I did that last week and I notice they cut you off after about two transactions per day. I don't know if that's a new thing or what but not worth fussing over for a few cents.

[quote name='Reraise']so they just sent me a survey to ask me to rate them highly about my incident with missing steam keys.

i voted them a 5

/sarcasm[/QUOTE]

A survey?

Do you have a link or pics?

[quote name='warreni']FYI, one of the daily deals is Trains Simulator 2013 at $7.49; I think that's the cheapest it's been anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Well technically the 2012 version was 90% off at one point, I think Steam winter sale 2011, and they auto upgraded it to the 2013 version for existing owners.

Also, I believe Steam did run the base game in a pack with a few different lines for 75% off recently more than once. I'm on their mailing list and got a couple of emails about it.

Chivalry is also a daily there, half off. With the 5 percent code I think that's the cheapest it's been so far (outside of buying into a 4 pack).

[quote name='Corpekata']Chivalry is also a daily there, half off. With the 5 percent code I think that's the cheapest it's been so far (outside of buying into a 4 pack).[/QUOTE]

Which they annoyingly didn't put on sale, the 4 pack that is.

They've been doing that lately. They used to always put them on sale but I noticed with this game and other games like Torchlight 2 the 4 packs now are not going on sale with the base.

Kind of defeats the purpose of getting a 4 pack but I suppose they have bigger fish to fry.

[quote name='Motoki']Well technically the 2012 version was 90% off at one point, I think Steam winter sale 2011, and they auto upgraded it to the 2013 version for existing owners.

Also, I believe Steam did run the base game in a pack with a few different lines for 75% off recently more than once. I'm on their mailing list and got a couple of emails about it.[/QUOTE]

I suppose that's technically accurate, but I haven't seen the base 2013 version this cheap anywhere. Now I just have to figure out whether it's something I really want or I just keep eyeballing it because it's cheap and has a lot of DLC (sign of pathology). The base game is now cheaper than Trains v Zombies has been on sale, and I don't know whether I want that either, but I feel as though I'd probably rather own that than the base game--but TS2013 is cheaper. . . .

[quote name='Motoki']Just a word of warning, don't get extra cheap and try to do multiple transactions for 1K blue coins with IAMANELDERGEEK, then another, then another.

I did that last week and I notice they cut you off after about two transactions per day. I don't know if that's a new thing or what but not worth fussing over for a few cents.[/QUOTE]
Well, from how it worked last night, you should only have to use the code once every purchase of two "packages" of coins.

The annoying bit is that you can only put two "packages" of coins in your cart at a time so if you need $8 worth you need to run two transactions ($5+$1 & $1+$1). I'm sure they'd like to encourage you to buy a single $10 package in that instance but screw that.
[quote name='Motoki']They've been doing that lately. They used to always put them on sale but I noticed with this game and other games like Torchlight 2 the 4 packs now are not going on sale with the base.[/QUOTE]
I think Torchlight II was on sale in the 4-pack. At least, I bought into one and paid $7.50 for the game, less than 50% off a single base game and I know they haven't run the game at 66%+ off yet.

Tropico 4 Collection (inc DLC) for $14.45 once you apply ElderGeek to product and blue coins. Not sure if that's a good deal or not.

Steam Special Edition is $5.99 at Steam but without the DLC and the "special" part is "includes an exclusive island (Isla Nublar) and El Presidente avatar costume (Luchador) and 50 Steam achievements" So I guess it's a question of whether or not the DLC is worth $8.45

Edit: The collection doesn't have all the DLC and buying them out one-for-one from Steam, it's a wash. If GG didn't have some silly $5 "online guide" in its bundle, it's be a steal. As is, Steam is easier for not having to jump through the Blue Coin hoops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Carcassonne any good?? I want it, the box artwork is strangely attractive to me, I'm afraid they might revoke my Atari VCS.

Seriously the artwork looks like an old VCS box.

i voted them a 5

/sarcasm[/QUOTE]

Is this for real?? Do you have links, screenshots, whatever???

[quote name='DonRamon']Is Carcassonne any good?? I want it, the box artwork is strangely attractive to me, I'm afraid they might revoke my Atari VCS.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of Carcassonne, but have only played the physical version. By all accounts, the PC game is a good exact recreation of the board game.

I'm looking to pick it up, but I'll wait until Amazon has it on sale again, else it'll just be another installer on Gamersgate that I'd feel the need to quickly back up.

I have Carcassonne on Android and it's decent if you want a board game like feel to a game. I'd imagine the PC version is similar. You might be able to get a mobile version relatively cheap though, if that is your thing.

Just got a refund for my Borderlands 4-Pack order. I don't think I'll be ordering from them again. The lack of communication, long refund time and their continued price mistakes just put a bad taste in my mouth.

Me neither, just got the refund but... I did not like how the managed the situation... I mean, we have the awesome support of Tony in the Amazon thread who won't sleep to answer dumb questions we make, and those guys at GG who screw up hard and don't even want to take individual responses about the issue.

I didn't get it on BL2 but still nothing for me in terms of refunds on the Bethesda front.

I did actually file a dispute with Paypal yesterday. For anyone wondering what that process does is at first just forwards a message you create to the merchant. They have a certain time frame to respond and if they don't then you can escalate it to Paypal if you choose.

I'll give them a bit longer to respond through Paypal and if they don't and I don't get a refund directly from them then I'll escalate it.

[quote name='Motoki']I didn't get it on BL2 but still nothing for me in terms of refunds on the Bethesda front.

I did actually file a dispute with Paypal yesterday. For anyone wondering what that process does is at first just forwards a message you create to the merchant. They have a certain time frame to respond and if they don't then you can escalate it to Paypal if you choose.

I'll give them a bit longer to respond through Paypal and if they don't and I don't get a refund directly from them then I'll escalate it.[/QUOTE]

Do you know how to start the dispute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back