Games for a 3 year old for Wii and/or DS?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I'm looking to pick up a game for the Wii and/or DS that is suitable for a 3.5 year old girl to play. It has to be EASY to play. To give you an idea regarding skill level, she can play Wii Baseball and Wii Tennis but NOT Wii Bowling or Wii Golf. The extra button press is too difficult for her. As for the DS, she was messing around with the Mario64 mini-games but most of them were too complicated. Any suggestions?

My nephew is the same age and really likes to sit there and wash dogs in Nintendogs. When its clean I'll have to switch the dogs for him though. For Wii he loves Excite Truck. He remembers he needs to hold down a button to go and just likes driving and cracks up when he crashes. Though to be honest none of this stuff holds his attention for long.

I did download Boom Boom Rocket on XBLA specifically for him, theres a mode where you just press buttons to make fireworks go off and I let him use the RB drums. Thats probably his favorite thing to do.

how about Kirby Canvas Curse. personally i'm not sure kids under 5 are very well suited for video games but KCC is pretty easy. also consider Yoshi Touch n Go. Both very simple good games. YT&G isn't what you'd call a 'full' game but it's perfect for a child in terms of simplicity.

Letting a 3 years old play a Wii?

Are you Nucking Futs?:cool:

Dude, I know your made of money with that job of yours, but seriously even with the Wii-Condom and the Wii-Strap, I don't think you will be too happy if you found some of your expensive stuff broken by the wii mote :whistle2:(

A DS is ok...as long as you give it some protection like that NERF body armor or whatever to protect it because they WILL DROP IT!!

When my nephew got a ds from his dad a few months ago, the first thing I did was buy the nerf armor for it. It was a good thing too because my nephew has dropped it a number of times and that armor can take a beating!

my son is turning 4 and he plays smash brothers brawl, 2 buttons and plenty of one on one action

he also gets some kills on halo 3, but id ont let him touch my DS
he likes to play wario ware inc for GBA that might be a good choice

[quote name='ITDEFX']Letting a 3 years old play a Wii?

Dude, I know your made of money with that job of yours, but seriously even with the Wii-Condom and the Wii-Strap, I don't think you will be too happy if you found some of your expensive stuff broken by the wii mote :whistle2:(

A DS is ok...as long as you give it some protection like that NERF body armor or whatever to protect it because they WILL DROP IT!!

When my nephew got a ds from his dad a few months ago, the first thing I did was buy the nerf armor for it. It was a good thing too because my nephew has dropped it a number of times and that armor can take a beating![/quote]

The beauty of it all is that if she breaks my stuff I can just go out and buy more! ;)

Actually, she has been pretty careful so far and she is supervised by me 100% of the time when she is playing so I'm not too worried - but you are right - she could break stuff at any time.

I haven't really let her play video games up until a few months ago and only a little bit here and there. She is just getting used to the concept that pushing buttons causes a reaction on the screen and something as easy as a d-pad is a little tough for her to get used to. We were playing NewSMB and she got the hang of moving left and right but she was confused why he wouldn't move up when she pressed up.... stuff like that is REALLY hard to explain.

I never thought I would say this but the Diego game for the Wii is actually a very good game for beginners.

My 3.5 yr old saw it at the store 1 time and then kept bugging me about it so I got it for him. Absolutely loves it. If you check out the 2 reviews on Metacritic also, I think they gave it something in the 70's. For a kids game that is very good.

It's real simple but my 3.5 yr old really likes it.

I think it's called Diego Safari or something like that.

[quote name='javeryh']The beauty of it all is that if she breaks my stuff I can just go out and buy more! ;)

Actually, she has been pretty careful so far and she is supervised by me 100% of the time when she is playing so I'm not too worried - but you are right - she could break stuff at any time.

I haven't really let her play video games up until a few months ago and only a little bit here and there. She is just getting used to the concept that pushing buttons causes a reaction on the screen and something as easy as a d-pad is a little tough for her to get used to. We were playing NewSMB and she got the hang of moving left and right but she was confused why he wouldn't move up when she pressed up.... stuff like that is REALLY hard to explain.[/quote]

If it was me, I would start them off with traditional 2-d Sprite 8 bit/16 bit games. You know those video games built into a joystick type of games? There are plenty of types of games like this out there ranging from 10 bucks to 30 bucks. Very easy to set up and go.

that's what I did with my nephew. Got him started with 2-d games before moving on to more complex stuff. Heck even though he has his cube and DS, he still goes back and plays the old plug and play games.

Kinda annoyed right now that I found out that the DS I am letting my brother borrow so he can play with his son, well his son LOST my stylist for my DS FAT :( What was he doing playing with MY DS instead of his Lite is beyond me. :bomb:

Wassup brother javeryh! I was/am in the same predicament. My son is 4 and has been playing a couple of games on both.

Wii:
Carnival
Go Diego Go Safari Rescue (I'll be Ebaying our copy, as he alredy beat it)
Mario Galaxy (At first he liked being the 2nd player, but now plays as Mario)
Mario Party 8
Donkey Konga (Gamecube)
Rayman:Raving Rabbids
Wii Play
and of course, Wii Sports

DS:
New Super Mario Bros. (He loves this!)
Duck Amuck
Smart Boys:Gameroom (Going on Ebay)
Tetris

There are a few others that I can't remember from the top of my head. But I think the Leapster is best for gaming in that age bracket. But this thread is for Wii and DS games. Cheers. By the way, Mario Kart is coming out this Sunday, and that should be pretty good!

Link to a similar thread re:DS games for kids.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159426

I will 2nd the Diego Safari Rescue game for the Wii and add Dora Saves the Mermaids for the DS. My 4 year old daughter loves both of these and is able to complete both without assistance. Carnival Games for the Wii is also published by 2k Play so that might be another one to look into, but we haven't tried that one yet.

My first temptation is to recommend Endless Ocean, but if she can't handle Wii Bowling, she might struggle with some of the swimming.

In my experience with my nieces and nephews, games where it's hard to "die" (or at least easy to restart) work the best. My 3 year old nephew loves Burnout 3 for the Xbox. I put him in crash mode, and he's good to go for 20 minutes. For some odd reason, he absolutely loves Ninja Gaiden Black (the mission mode), even though he gets creamed at it. Not sure what the equivelents of these would be on the Wii.

Though, what I found is that most 2 player co-op games work great, if you'll let them dictate the action.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Letting a 3 years old play a Wii?

When my nephew got a ds from his dad a few months ago, the first thing I did was buy the nerf armor for it. It was a good thing too because my nephew has dropped it a number of times and that armor can take a beating![/quote]

:lol:. My 2 year-old threw my 5 year-old's DS at the wall and broke it to hell. Before I even replace his DS, I am buying the Nerf Armor (it's at $10 at CC this week).

Well, my five year-old enjoys playing these game:

DS-
New Super Mario Brothers
Yoshi's Island
Nintendogs
Mario Kart
Clubhouse Games (mostly Sorry and Memory)
Mario Hoops 3vs3

Wii-
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Mario Party 8
Cooking Mama
Mario Kart (he loves anything MK so i'm sure he'll love the new MK)
Lego SW :D

We just got but haven't played Rayman Raving Rabbids. My son already has a backlog of unplayed games. A true CAG in the making. :lol:

[quote name='javeryh']
I haven't really let her play video games up until a few months ago and only a little bit here and there. She is just getting used to the concept that pushing buttons causes a reaction on the screen and something as easy as a d-pad is a little tough for her to get used to. We were playing NewSMB and she got the hang of moving left and right but she was confused why he wouldn't move up when she pressed up.... stuff like that is REALLY hard to explain.[/quote]

My son started playing games around the same age. At first, he had the same problems that your describing. At that age, it's hard for them to grasp some concepts. Just let her keep on playing games and by the time she turns 4, you will be amazed by how much she will have improved. Make sure that you are playing the games with her because kids learn mostly by watching what others do. If she watches you play, little by little, she will understand what is going on.

bread's done
Back