Games for Ladies

mary_at_gamefunk

CAGiversary!
Now that I get paid to play games and talk to gamers, I'm compiling a list of PS2, PS3, & XBOX 360 titles for our "female market" (and my own collection :cool:)

I'm excluding the Wii because there are plenty of games on that platform that appeal to the ladies.

So here it is... please add your input.

Games I've played that made my GrownUp Girl Gamer list:

Devil May Cry 1,2 for PS2 (Nero is androgynous enough that I can relate)
The Fatal Frame Series
Bioshock (Greatest game I've ever touched... seriously)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Silent Hill 3
Clock Tower 3
Kingdom Hearts
The Darkness
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Tekken Tag
GTA Vice City
Resident Evil
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Assassin's Creed

(Please note that Devil May Cry 4 has been left off the list because of pantiless she-warriors and weird electric fairy chicks that go down on eachother)

(Also, Tomb Raider is not on this list as Lara Croft is nothing more than a well-endowed gymnast who can't throw a decent punch. Also, I played Tomb Raider Legend last week and nearly fell asleep behind the controls.)

Games I haven't played that seem like they'd be a good sell for an adult girl gamer:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Perfect Dark Zero
Final Fantasy XI
Call of Duty 4
Fable (My mom loves this one)
Champions of Norrath
Naruto: Ninja Destiny
Orange Box (specifically - Portal)
Bully

Please add/delete

Uhhh...what exactly defines games for ladies? Since not to bash or anything, but I don't really see how being female and gaming should be any different from guys and their games (possible only exceptions being DOA Xtreme series and maybe Madden...though prove me wrong).

[quote name='bardockkun']Uhhh...what exactly defines games for ladies? Since not to bash or anything, but I don't really see how being female and gaming should be any different from guys and their games (possible only exceptions being DOA Xtreme series and maybe Madden...though prove me wrong).[/quote]
maybe shes a feminist? maybe im wrong..

these are some of the games my wife and my daughter plays:

New Super Mario Brothers
Nintendogs
Super Princess Peach
Yoshi Island DS
Warioware Touched
Brain Age
Big Brain Academy
Cooking Mama
Diner Dash

nothing hardcore that involves alot of thinking

[quote name='phear3d']maybe shes a feminist? maybe im wrong..[/quote]
More so I just don't know how or why it should be any different from casual gamer to hardcore gamer kinda thing...

[quote name='phear3d']nothing hardcore that involves alot of thinking[/quote]Ouch, that sounds a little condescending

Edited for correction

[quote name='bardockkun']Uhhh...what exactly defines games for ladies? Since not to bash or anything, but I don't really see how being female and gaming should be any different from guys and their games (possible only exceptions being DOA Xtreme series and maybe Madden...though prove me wrong).[/quote]

LOL -- hey, hey, hey!! I'm a girl and I have to say the first DOA Beach Volleyball game was one of my favorites!! All the shopping and gift giving!! :lol:

I like games based on what they have to offer, not the fact I'm a girl -- I'll whoop any guy at Halo!! :)

I recommend games.

Your list is just an arbitrary list of good and great games from the past year. You've given no criteria for what you think a "game for ladies" should be, so anything you're going to get is a list of fun games parsed down by idiotic and sexist notions and assumptions of what women don't want in games, and otherwise inflammatory remarks.

Why don't you just recommend a good fucking game like you would for anyone else?

[quote name='prettytendo']LOL -- hey, hey, hey!! I'm a girl and I have to say the first DOA Beach Volleyball game was one of my favorites!! All the shopping and gift giving!! :lol:

I like games based on what they have to offer, not the fact I'm a girl -- I'll whoop any guy at Halo!! :)[/quote]
More reason I said "possibly." Then again I can only still feel shame no matter what gender when you get giddy over Kasumi or whoever else a new swimsuit....EVEN if it is for achievements.

And I got a friend who's female who can beat me at GH and Rock Band...I got enough problems.

[quote name='mary_at_gamefunk']

(Please note that Devil May Cry 4 has been left off the list because of pantiless she-warriors and weird electric fairy chicks that go down on eachother)[/quote]

The girls may like that if they are bi/lesbian. Nukka.

Dynasty Warriors. Out of the non-gaming females I know this is the one series that ANY of them will play; I guess it has to deal with the pure beating the crap outta people that come out of nowhere or something.
-
Smash brothers - another fan favorite, Phoenix Wright (then again who doesn't go crazy for that?)...

But yea besides that.. just games like everyone else has said. There aren't any "specifically" girl games. I'm sure theres SOME guy out there that's a really huge fan of my little pony just like theres tons of girls into Halo, COD4, Portal, and GTA.

[quote name='phear3d']

nothing hardcore that involves alot of thinking[/quote]

I hope your talking about your wife and daughter and not all female gamers.

Right now my wife is running a World of Warcraft raid for her guild, which she founded and runs. She also created the guilds website.

No one has said Mario Kart yet!?!?!

Every girl loves that game, even girls that don't like video games. Seriously I've never met a girl that doesn't love that game.

[quote name='ZenTrickster']Ouch, that sounds a little condescending[/quote]
I just noticed, but why the hell did I get that quote when Phear3d said it not me?!

[quote name='ZenTrickster']Ouch, that sounds a little condescending[/quote]
hey thats what they play and thats what i see. games that doesn't require you to be a hardcore gamer to play it or if it doesnt involve so much thinking could only mean that its a casual game.. something nintendo is very familiar with, and those games i listed were nintendo titles.

[quote name='mykevermin']I recommend games.

Your list is just an arbitrary list of good and great games from the past year. You've given no criteria for what you think a "game for ladies" should be, so anything you're going to get is a list of fun games parsed down by idiotic and sexist notions and assumptions of what women don't want in games, and otherwise inflammatory remarks.

Why don't you just recommend a good fucking game like you would for anyone else?[/QUOTE]QFT.

[quote name='Strife025']No one has said Mario Kart yet!?!?!

Every girl loves that game, even girls that don't like video games. Seriously I've never met a girl that doesn't love that game.[/quote]

QFT

Puzzle Quest
Ratchet and Clank
Super Mario World

My g/f loves all of those games. She's currently on her second play through of Puzzle Quest. She also likes the Tycoon type games, and a few RTS games.

Well.. nothing on that list is particularly girl gamer specific. I mean, they could be classified for a number of other exclusive categories as well...

[quote name='bardockkun']I just noticed, but why the hell did I get that quote when Phear3d said it not me?![/quote]

Woo, I don't know.

Edited.

I think it has a lot more to do with personal taste than sex, but since the thread was started, I'm really interested to see what kinds of games girls enjoy playing and if there is a trend to any of them.

My wife enjoys:

RPGs, but only the ones where 1) not turn-based (i.e. Tales series, Star Ocean: TTEOT) and 2) where you can see the enemies before they attack (no random encounters).

She also loves the Katamari games and hack n'slash games (Norrath, Baldur's Gate, Bard's Tale, etc).

Games she does not like:

3-D platformers (Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider)
action games (Devil May Cry series, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword)

I'll second Katamari, everyone loves them. And the fact that this may be the dumbest question ever. I've known girls who love halo, and I've known girls who would never touch a video game (guys too for both).

And as a male I can say I have tried GTA 3 and San Andreas (what I assume are stereotypical male games) and find them incredibly boring.

[quote name='Strife025']No one has said Mario Kart yet!?!?!

Every girl loves that game, even girls that don't like video games. Seriously I've never met a girl that doesn't love that game.[/quote]

Hi. *waves* I cannot stand this series. It irritates me that I keep getting OMG WIIII MARIO KART IS COMIN'! pushed in my face. The last racing game that I liked was Daytona USA for Saturn. XP Puzzle Quest can also go die in a fire.

Anyway, my list right now:

My sig + Super Paper Mario, Elite Beat Agents, Ragnarok Online (YES. STILL.), Dungeon Keeper 2, Legend of Zelda anything, Kirby (it's just fun. ignore the pink), and LEGO Star Wars. I'm trying to keep my brain from exploding about LEGO Batman. I cannot freakin wait for some LEGO Batman fighting LEGO Bane in a destructible Gotham City.:drool:

My girlfriend likes:
DOA Volleyball
Mario Party
Mario Kart
GH games
Cooking Mama
Sonic the hedgehog (Sega versions)
Wii Sports
Sims
Tiger Woods

My wife likes:

Zelda
Mario
Katamari
Gaunlet Dark Legacy, etc.
Dark Alliance / Champions of Norrath
Animal Crossing
Sims
Perfect Dark
Dead Rising
Bubble Bobble
DOA4
Soul Calibur
Nintendogs
GRAW

080211.jpg

Really I think that any game on the market could be steered to any audiance unless it is something like :the guy game" seeing everyone out there has different tastes. I dont think that matters anymore. My fiance for one loves the GTA games,MGS,FFX, etc. She seems like like heavy story driven games or just ones when you can run around pointlessly and kill. Of course she liked anything mario or sonic.

But for the most part im the gamer and I buy games I like and want and she can pick out of my pile and enjoy most of the games I purchase for myself.

She also had a whole army of multi colored Prinnes built on Disgaea 2 lol.

This topic is stupid, and why is it stupid? Well because girl gamers can like any games that a guy gamer can. Seems pretty fucking stupid to me to make a topic about this.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']This topic is stupid, and why is it stupid? Well because girl gamers can like any games that a guy gamer can. Seems pretty fucking stupid to me to make a topic about this.[/quote]
I'm starting to agree. OP doesn't even respond and I doubt in anycase one girl's opinion will be same as other girl for what counts as a "lady game." It's better off as any what counts as a good game thread and if they get "offended" despite it being a good game it's their problem, because I'm sure others will say elsewise (like the DOAX2 thing brought up earlier).

Well I'll give some suggestions for everyone.

"Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga"
BoF 1-2, BOF DQ(GREAT battle system!)
Shadow Hearts
anything Culdcept and a HEAVY asskissing to Omiyasoft is owed for this great game! Too bad there's not an arcade version. I would kill for an arcade version of Culdcept.

Anyway, I can't think of more at the present time.

[quote name='help1']Call of Duty 4. The multiplayer is filled with pansies.[/quote]

Insulting women in the process. NOICE!

But yeah gotta agree with that one guy. You shouldn't stereotype people. I know this girl who loves Halo, and I know this other girl who hates Halo.

People aren't that black and white!

Rule of Rose, Haunting Ground, Ico, Cookie and Cream,Guitaroo Man, Folklore

I can't really think of anything else that couldn't be contribed as insulting...

I liked "A Dog's Life"..

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']A game for females? Well, there WAS this DOA game that was cancelled:

DOA5: Mammary Glandiators[/quote]

I remember I tried to get my girlfriend to play DOA4. BIG MISTAKE...practically every outfit she saw was too revealing for her standards, my sisters don't mind playing with me though.

bread's done
Back