Games that come without the game

I was in one my local EB's last week. Get this. This joker comes in with a stack of brand new release games. Just the disks and multiple copies of the same titles. Like 4 copies of Fight Night 2004 for example. He wanted cash, of course. The clerk at the EB handed it over. I talked the clerk about it and asked him "You mush know those games were stolen, don't you"? He said that since he can't prove it, he can't do anything about it. I told him he better contact the the Sheriff's Office ASAP. Anyway, I don't know how these slimeballs are doing it, but that's where your game disk is. I'm hearing this story all too often lately.

A fairly rare occurance at best. I worked between GameStop and EB for 6 years and it's not that common. Sometimes bad batches of missing CD's do happen when publishers rush to get them out the door. The fact that you almost got replaced with another empty confirms it was from the same batch. Best thing to do is to CALL them right away if you can. If they don;t make it right, bitch and scream until the manager comes and just gives you another copy just to pacify you (Trust me, when the line starts building, the want you just to get the fook outta there ;) )

[quote name='kaji7p56']Heres a tip: Just open the game in the store. I usually do that anyway so I can look at the manual artwork.[/quote]
Most wise words. Simple but effective

I had this happen to me at CC one time. I got out to the car and looked and there was no game inside the box. I took it back in and the employee at customer service said I had been a victim of the "super glue" guy. Apparently some guy would come into the store, buy a game, carefully remove the disc, and superglue the wrapping back together, then return the game to CC. They give him his money back, and in return they get a "sealed" game.

My story is not quite as bad, but still sucked. Found a great stash of N64 stuff in boxes at GameRush last week (Paper Mario, Ogre Battle 64, Rocket). One game was Starcraft 64, which was only $7 and bought with credit anyway.

Get it home and look at it. The sticker looks kind of crumbled on the cart. I peel it back a little bit, and there's a Mission Impossible sticker underneath the Starcraft 64 one. Someone switched them at some point! And to make matters worse, the game didn't even work. Ended up bringing it back, but I sure would've rather had the game than $7 credit.

I've never had that happen to me before. It would suck if it did, though. I can't imagine them believing you.

[quote name='hohndog']I was in one my local EB's last week. Get this. This joker comes in with a stack of brand new release games. Just the disks and multiple copies of the same titles. Like 4 copies of Fight Night 2004 for example. He wanted cash, of course. The clerk at the EB handed it over. I talked the clerk about it and asked him "You mush know those games were stolen, don't you"? He said that since he can't prove it, he can't do anything about it. I told him he better contact the the Sheriff's Office ASAP. Anyway, I don't know how these slimeballs are doing it, but that's where your game disk is. I'm hearing this story all too often lately.[/quote]

Call the sheriffs office? ha ha ha ha ha and what the hell is he gonna do. LAME!!!!!!!!

someone had traded-in a used 2 disc zelda's collector's edition that only had 1 disc (with only one slot for the disc). that really made my 3rd key manager mad that we got ripped off like that knowing that she probably did the trade in. they just switched the case stuff to another one.

I didn't even know there WAS a 2 disc Zelda Collector's Edition. Mine has 1 disc...

I only got a game without the disc once. It was used, and the guys at EB forgot to put the game in. When I called, they remembered, and I ran back and got it. Later returned the game, because I found it boring and repetative. That game's name is Guardian Heroes for the Saturn.

It has happened to me only once, and this was a while back. It was "The Adventures of Willy Beamish" for the Sega CD. I opened it before I left the parking lot, because I like to read the game manuals while I wait for my wife (at that time, my girlfriend :) ) to finish shopping.

Zow. I've never bought a new game that was missing the disc, BUT when I bought Marvel Vs Capcom for Dreamcast and opened it in the parking lot, I found out a huge chunk of the disc was missing. I took it right back in and got a new copy. Since then I've opened every game right away.

I bought Vandal Hearts once at Sam's Club to take it home to find no copy. Was the last one too, but they didn't argue about giving me a refund. And yeah, it is best to check your games before leaving the store, just in case.

I bought a game once where someone had previously bought the game, opened it REALLY carefully, inserted a "hours free" AOL disk and a folded up little blank paper stack then resealed, and shrinkwrapped it, and brought it back. The store evidently put it back on the shelf because I bought it. When I took it back to the store they were like "damn, another one like this". The manager told me they had this happen about 6 times before me....I quit buying games from that store and now It has not happened since..

Anyone else get a copy of VIII with the gamecube disk loose? They were all like that at the Toys R Us I got it from.

Better loose than not in there :) Luckily, it wasn't scratched (cashier opened it).

I bought a sealed copy of "Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller" from BB that came with no manual once. But I've never had the disc not be there when I opened the case. Though I have gotten into the habit of shaking the cases before I buy them to feel for both the manual and the disc moving around in there.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']You can usually tell if there is a CD inside a sealed product by shaking the case. You'll hear the CD spin ever so slightly against its holder.[/quote]

Wrong. Could be an AOL CD in there that somone returned as a 'new' game. Trust me, 3 years in the videogame business and Ive seen it all.

[quote name='gizmogc'][quote name='anonymouswhoami']You can usually tell if there is a CD inside a sealed product by shaking the case. You'll hear the CD spin ever so slightly against its holder.[/quote]

Wrong. Could be an AOL CD in there that somone returned as a 'new' game. Trust me, 3 years in the videogame business and Ive seen it all.[/quote]

So you have seen the AOL trick happen to someone else before?

[quote name='dracula']whoa this is insane, i have a stack of sealed games here and now I wonder if any of them do not include a disc![/quote]

Open them.

I always hear people here bragging about their huge stack of sealed games, and I always thing of incidents like this. I open every single game I get as soon as I get home, to make sure nothing is wrong with the package. As an aside though, this has never happened to me.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']When I first read this subject, I thought the thread was going to be about metal gear solid 2. Am I the only one?[/quote]

No. Initially, I was thinking the same thing :p

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='dracula']whoa this is insane, i have a stack of sealed games here and now I wonder if any of them do not include a disc![/quote]

Open them.

I always hear people here bragging about their huge stack of sealed games, and I always thing of incidents like this. I open every single game I get as soon as I get home, to make sure nothing is wrong with the package. As an aside though, this has never happened to me.[/quote]

I think i will do that.

[quote name='dracula']whoa this is insane, i have a stack of sealed games here and now I wonder if any of them do not include a disc![/quote]

That's why I opened my whole lot of games that I got from the TRU green tag sale. It's a good thing I did too. Quidditch World Cup was empty. So I called them when I got home (an hour and a half away) and they said just bring it back in, even though I couldn't get back there for a few days.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']I bought a sealed copy of "Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller" from BB that came with no manual once. But I've never had the disc not be there when I opened the case. Though I have gotten into the habit of shaking the cases before I buy them to feel for both the manual and the disc moving around in there.[/quote]

Speaking of manuals... I still need to call Sega. I bought the Sonic Collection and got home and the manual was jacked up. It goes from like pg. 7 through 14, then repeats those pages, then goes to like 26 and jumps around with a bunch of repeated pages throughout...

[quote name='mkelehan']I didn't even know there WAS a 2 disc Zelda Collector's Edition. Mine has 1 disc...

I only got a game without the disc once. It was used, and the guys at EB forgot to put the game in. When I called, they remembered, and I ran back and got it. Later returned the game, because I found it boring and repetative. That game's name is Guardian Heroes for the Saturn.[/quote]

You brought back Guardian Heroes?! #-o FOR SHAME!!!!

You are definatly in the minority.

[quote name='mkelehan']I only got a game without the disc once. It was used, and the guys at EB forgot to put the game in. When I called, they remembered, and I ran back and got it. Later returned the game, because I found it boring and repetative. That game's name is Guardian Heroes for the Saturn.[/quote]

#-o

[quote name='mtxbass1']I had this happen to me at CC one time. I got out to the car and looked and there was no game inside the box. I took it back in and the employee at customer service said I had been a victim of the "super glue" guy. Apparently some guy would come into the store, buy a game, carefully remove the disc, and superglue the wrapping back together, then return the game to CC. They give him his money back, and in return they get a "sealed" game.[/quote]
You would think that they would stop allowing him to return games.

Last week, I bought Parappa the Rapper 2 for $7 preowned at EB. I opened it in the parknig lot, and they had forgot to put the game in! I am good friends with them however, and we had a good laugh.

[quote name='Rig']Last week, I bought Parappa the Rapper 2 for $7 preowned at EB. I opened it in the parknig lot, and they had forgot to put the game in! I am good friends with them however, and we had a good laugh.[/quote]

Nice sig pic BTW.

Although it was awhile ago(back in february), I bought a used copy of WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain. Got home and didn't notice the employee forgot to put the disc in the case. I went back up there and they said they had no more copies.

Seems they gave someone who bought the year before's WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth the Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain disc, so he basically got a $45 game for $17. The employee noticed it cause they had a extra copy of that game and was missing the disc I was supposed to have. They gave me a refund for the game. That's the only experience I've had like that.

I once had an EB sell me the display copy. I got home and realized what had happened. I went back and showed them the case they had given me, and then the supervisor bitched out the guy who had sold me the game. Apparently, he was new and had done this twice in the last week. They gave me the real game and I walked out laughing.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='Rig']Last week, I bought Parappa the Rapper 2 for $7 preowned at EB. I opened it in the parknig lot, and they had forgot to put the game in! I am good friends with them however, and we had a good laugh.[/quote]

Nice sig pic BTW.[/quote]

Thank you. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is my favorite game of all time, and Jessica needed some sig time, although Mia was a little jealous...

springs_mia.jpg

[quote name='GuilewasNK']=P~[/quote]

Buy lots of soap! (Those that have played Lunar know what I'm talking about!) :wink:

bread's done
Back