Games to beware of buying used - Will save you money even though it's not a deal

jdawgg76

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
The purpose of this thread is to compile a list of games that include content that may affect a buyer's choice due to the advantage of getting extra content or online usage that comes in a new copy which they may have to pay for later if they buy used which generally makes the used "deal" ten bucks more expensive. Examples include an online pass in Need for Speed Hot Pursuit or Catwoman extra content in Arkham City or a game which gets bonus content if bought at a certain store. I know I've missed deals and even bought a used game I shouldn't have due to the lack of an easy place to find this info, hopefully, most of you feel the same way. I'm not approaching pre-order DLC as there are no used pre-order games and there's a thread for that, nor games with DLC on a disc as you're not missing out.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT KNOWING NOT TO BUY A GAME USED THEN HAVING TO PAY $10 FOR AN ONLINE PASS WHICH THEN MAKES YOUR PURCHASE PRICE HIGHER THAN BUYING NEW IS NOT A DEAL!!!:roll::D

Here's a list on Giantbomb, thanks to cday130, it's disorganized, missing some info you CAGs have provided, contains some wrong info, and may disappear anytime, but still very useful and I may just close this thread down and just provide this link: http://www.giantbomb.com/new-purchas...tives/92-5244/

Here's a website where you can buy Online Passes you may have unwittingly missed out on buying used. Brought to you by vherub. I have no idea about how reliable or safe the site is and apparently you save about $2 on average: http://shop.bresoftware.com/xbox-liv...ent-codes.html

OBVIOUSLY THIS LIST IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, BUT IT IS WIKI SO FEEL FREE TO LEND A HAND. THANKS!

GAMES WITH ONLINE PASSES AND MONEY LOST

:360::ps3: Assassin's Creed: Revelations - ?
:360::ps3: Battlefield 3 - $10
:360::ps3: Dead Space 2 - $10
:360::ps3: DiRT 3 - $10
:360::ps3: Driver: San Francisco - ?
:360::ps3: EA MMA - $10
:360::ps3: FIFA 12 - $10
:360::ps3: Homefront - $10
:360::ps3: Madden 11 - $10
:360::ps3: Madden 12 - $10
:360::ps3: Mass Effect 3 - $10
:360::ps3: Mortal Kombat - $15
:360::ps3: NCAA Football 12 - $10
:360::ps3: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $10
:360::ps3: Need for Speed: The Run - $10
:360::ps3: Need for Speed Shift 2 - $10
:360::ps3: NHL 11 - $10
:360::ps3: NHL 12 - $10
:ps3:Ratchet and Clank All 4 One - ?
:ps3:Resistance 3 - ?
:360::ps3: Saint's Row: The Third - $10
:360::ps3: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 - $10
:360::ps3: Tiger Woods 12 The Masters - $10
:ps3:Twisted Metal - ?
:360::ps3: UFC Undisputed 2010 - $10
:ps3:Uncharted 3 - ? - Currently provided with used copies at GS
:360::ps3: WWE SvR 2011 - ?
:360::ps3: WWE '12 - ?

GAMES WITH DLC CODES PACKED IN NEW COPIES

:360::ps3: Batman Arkham City - $10 - Catwoman DLC; Currently given with used copies at GS
:360::ps3: Battlefield 3 Limited Edition - $15 - Back to Karkund Map Pack
:360::ps3: Bulletstorm - $10 - 6 Echoes Maps & a Leash Color
:360::ps3: FEAR 3 - $10 - 2 More MP Modes with 3 maps each including F'ing Run and Soul Survivor
:360::ps3: Medal of Honor - Bonus content including maps
:360::ps3: Medal of Honor LE - Extra MP weapon and early access for 2 shotguns
:360::ps3: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - 2 exclusive cars
Lamborghini LP550-2 Valentino Balboni and the Lamborghini LP570-4 Superleggera
and ten times more storage space for your game photos.
:360::ps3: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit LE - Extra Cars
:360::ps3: Need for Speed Shift 2 LE - Extra Cars

GAMES WITH DLC INCLUDED ONLY AT SPECIFIC STORES

:360::ps3: Batman Arkham City - Best Buy: Robin DLC
:360::ps3: FEAR 3 - Best Buy: The Shredder Shotgun; pre-order bonus, but I got it in a purchase 12-20-11

Thanks to the following contributors: htz, admiralvic, j.t, Mugatu, cday130, vherub, kraftwerks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a start as time allows. I've been putting this off just knowing how massive the list would already be. Will have more time to update and streamline later and hopefully some will feel free to add as this is a wikilist.

Reserved for Future Use

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really in the right place. Plus by saying they are "evil" I think is a bad choice of words. I fully support developers and publishers trying to get a cut of used games sales. I know this will (d)evolve into a debate about it being good or bad that they exist...

I am sure some won't be happy with this is in the deals section but I personally like the thread. So many games with Online passes it is hard to keep track when buying used. I will follow even if the mods move it.

Yeah, this is in the wrong forum since its not really a deal... Also Crysis 2 and Medal of Honor don't have online passes. You can play them online, the vouchers included only grant some bonus skins/weapons/exp.

Would be nice to add GotY games as well. Are the DLC part of a disc or a code you have to redeem. Kinda curious about Borderlands.

I think the online passes are okay, but I've read rumors about the Xbox 720 completely blocking used games from being played altogether. While it might not be true, it's pretty crappy.

By simply adding games that had included DLC for certain retailers... this is going to become a GIANT list of most games out there.

However not to be an ass here are some more titles.

NeverDead - BB exclusive pack which had early unlocks.
Soul Calibur V - BB had a exclusive DLC character.
Mindjack - BB exclusive dlc.
Motorstorm Apoc - Car pack.
Uncharted 2 - Most DLC.
Gran Turismo 5XL - Voucher for a vast amount of cars (between the disc and the game it has all the DLC).
Borderlands - Earlier copies had the DLC via a voucher.
Hotshots golf 6 (Vita) - Online pass
RAGE - Additional missions.
Bulletstorm - is actually just DLC missions.
Ratchet and Clank All 4 One - Online Pass.

Cheers op this may come in useful
smiley.jpg

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Not really in the right place. Plus by saying they are "evil" I think is a bad choice of words. I fully support developers and publishers trying to get a cut of used games sales. I know this will (d)evolve into a debate about it being good or bad that they exist...[/QUOTE]
A) I thought about the location alot and finally came down to this: It is meant to help people save money in their buying choices which is what the Deals Thread is for while the PS3/360 gaming threads are more for discussion of actually games/consoles. Also, it seemed silly to run two threads about the same thing mostly involving the same games. But, if mods think it should be elsewhere that's ok with me.

B) I'll remove the evil comment. You're right as that will fuel the fire of the argument about online passes which is NOT the purpose of the thread.

Once this gets put into the right forum I'll still never check it. Thanks OP but I try my best to buy new all the time and if I need info if a game comes with an 'evil' online pass, cag wouldn't be the first place I think to look for a list. However, the general gaming forum would be my first guess as to where to put it

[quote name='shadowkast']Once this gets put into the right forum I'll still never check it. Thanks OP but I try my best to buy new all the time and if I need info if a game comes with an 'evil' online pass, cag wouldn't be the first place I think to look for a list. However, the general gaming forum would be my first guess as to where to put it[/QUOTE]
By all means where would you look to quickly find such info and I'll bookmark it and shut down this thread. I've wasted too much time recently trying to find this info out for several games.

[quote name='rvdrock']In before no deals...[/QUOTE]

These forums are already full of "deals" including universal price drops, collector's editions, pre-order DLC, and other nonsense, do we really need one more log on the fire like this thread?

this is appropriately here.

its to determine whether or not buying a used game is a deal, or isnt a deal. if you have to drop an extra $5 $10 or even $15 on the DLC included in the new copy, it can greatly affect the value of any used game.

A few people were fooled into buying WKC2 used at $25 or so only to realize they had to pay another $10 after the fact... a few weeks ago.

I'll keep in eye on this, I didn't see Twisted Metal on this list, I'd have rented it but it needs an online pass.

Thank you!

I generally don't mind bonuses for new buying new but online passes that lock out key features are games I try to boycott. Screw EA!

PS. I buy almost all of my games new but I sell them when I am done playing, these companies are making my game worth less since I can't sell it for as much.

Thanks for all the input. I'll be online this evening to make suggested changes and reevaluate including store specific DLC.

Yeah this doesn't belong here and I think it's pointless to include every game under the sun. Just include games that are half worthless without an online pass.

Or make 2 sections, one for actual online passes and another for games like Batman/Kingdoms of Amalur. Both of those games are fully functional without the passes they just cut out single player content.

And we dont really need the regular DLC crap. There's already a thread for preorder bonuses and such.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I agree with this.[/QUOTE]Hmm, what about any Call of Duty, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed (Revelations?, I dunno), Halo, God of War? There are tons of games that do not even recent ones. Most offenders are from EA, Ubisoft and THQ

[quote name='jdawgg76']Hmm, what about any Call of Duty, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed (Revelations?, I dunno), Halo, God of War? There are tons of games that do not even recent ones. Most offenders are from EA, Ubisoft and THQ[/QUOTE]

Ubisoft only started including them with their more recent releases, named Driver: San Fran and AC: Revelations.

Also, if you're going to target injustices here, you have to include COD: Elite and the timed exclusivity of COD DLC for the 360.

I think this thread could be useful in this forum without the "passes are evil" slant. The title turned me off even though I think it's a good idea. Sure it's not technically a deal, but considering how many of us buy from AWD it could be really helpful.

I actually really appreciate this idea ... just needs to be more streamlined. Broken down into categories, because although included DLC is nice (like characters, etc), I really only appreciate the new ones that have online passes and/or certain DLC that will be free when it's released (like Dead Island with actual content oriented DLC, not just costumes, etc).

But if there was some sort of breakdown, I think I would constantly be referencing this thread if it's kept updated! :)

Thanks, OP!

(and, I think the deals thread is a good place for this, since it does save me money, in the end, if it's kept updated).

resident evil gold for xbox comes with a voucher
resident evil gold for ps3 comes with the dlc content on disc
this is a rumor a friend says that u no longer need online pass fo mortal kombat 9

great idea
i go to amazon and ask reviewers for this kind of information

$10 online passes :madden 12, tiger 12 the masters, tiger woods 11, ncaa football 12, nhl 12, fifa 12, mortal kombat ($15), need for speed shift 2, need for speed the run

General game discussion thread. Because that's what it will come down to, people arguing the merits of them versus not having them. Especially if you choose to include things such as pre-order DLC. Then what is next...which games have crappy online servers?

You have no idea what you've started!!! CHAOS!!!!

But seriously...not a deal. Informational, yes.

[quote name='OregonDealz']This doesn't even need to exist.[/QUOTE]I presume you're referring to your own post. If you don't like the idea, don't even click the link. It's simple, really.

[quote name='admiralvic']By simply adding games that had included DLC for certain retailers... this is going to become a GIANT list of most games out there.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info, however, is there really that much store specific DLC that's not pre-order related and ALWAYS included in new copies from that store? If so, that may be too much and I'll drop it.
[quote name='shadowkast']Once this gets put into the right forum I'll still never check it. Thanks OP but I try my best to buy new all the time and if I need info if a game comes with an 'evil' online pass, cag wouldn't be the first place I think to look for a list. However, the general gaming forum would be my first guess as to where to put it[/QUOTE]
This guy owns you and the cheerios you ate for breakfast, thanks for not checking:D:
[quote name='cday130']http://www.giantbomb.com/new-purchase-incentives/92-5244/

stuff[/QUOTE]

[quote name='URABAHN']These forums are already full of "deals" including universal price drops, collector's editions, pre-order DLC, and other nonsense, do we really need one more log on the fire like this thread?[/QUOTE]Gee willikers, I hate when CheapyD, the owner of the site posts univeral price drops!:roll: (Sarcasm, thanks Cheapy!) It's all good information for knowing what's a deal and what's not. If it doesn't pertain to you, why are you here?

[quote name='the_ENEMY_']this is appropriately here.

its to determine whether or not buying a used game is a deal, or isnt a deal. if you have to drop an extra $5 $10 or even $15 on the DLC included in the new copy, it can greatly affect the value of any used game.

A few people were fooled into buying WKC2 used at $25 or so only to realize they had to pay another $10 after the fact... a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]Thanks, and what's the deal with WKC2? I was thinking of picking that up in a B2G1.

[quote name='chunlirocks']mods take care of this one. . .
thanks[/QUOTE]Yes, please take care of this useless, off-topic post.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Yeah this doesn't belong here and I think it's pointless to include every game under the sun. Just include games that are half worthless without an online pass.

Or make 2 sections, one for actual online passes and another for games like Batman/Kingdoms of Amalur. Both of those games are fully functional without the passes they just cut out single player content.

And we dont really need the regular DLC crap. There's already a thread for preorder bonuses and such.[/QUOTE]Not preorders, last I checked I can't preorder used games! Nor every game under the sun, the vast majority of games under the sun will be left out. Partly because the covers are faded, also cause they will have no relevance to this list.

[quote name='BigPoeticCanine']Ubisoft only started including them with their more recent releases, named Driver: San Fran and AC: Revelations.

Also, if you're going to target injustices here, you have to include COD: Elite and the timed exclusivity of COD DLC for the 360.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing most future Ubisoft stuff ends up on the list. While I agree on the COD stuff, apples and oranges here.

[quote name='mrclutch']I like the idea forthe list but it would take a page just for the EA games.[/QUOTE]Probably in a year or two, but not yet.

[quote name='APreciousDragon']I actually really appreciate this idea ... just needs to be more streamlined. Broken down into categories, because although included DLC is nice (like characters, etc), I really only appreciate the new ones that have online passes and/or certain DLC that will be free when it's released (like Dead Island with actual content oriented DLC, not just costumes, etc).

But if there was some sort of breakdown, I think I would constantly be referencing this thread if it's kept updated! :)

Thanks, OP!

(and, I think the deals thread is a good place for this, since it does save me money, in the end, if it's kept updated).[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I like splitting info up into categories too. It seems silly to double list some games, but it's much cleaner.

[quote name='cday130']http://www.giantbomb.com/new-purchase-incentives/92-5244/

stuff[/QUOTE]Really appreciate it. The page is good, but there are some innaccuracies and it's not really in order and I think us CAGs can outdo it. If I change my mind about running this thread though, I'll definitely just link to that page though.

[quote name='stoned99']Move this the the platform discussion threads. NOT a deal.[/QUOTE]YEAH, who wants to discuss saving money on a deals forum anyway?!!!:applause:

[quote name='vherub']op, this webstore might interest you-
http://shop.bresoftware.com/xbox-live-downloadable-content-codes.html
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I appreciate the effort, but for me, a diehard CAG, an online pass will have to be at least 50% off before I buy not 20%. Still interesting to check out more thoroughly and from time to time.

[quote name='morrodox']Thanks OP, great deal! I picked up 3 of these. One for myself, and 2 to flip.[/QUOTE]
What is this IGN?

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']General game discussion thread. Because that's what it will come down to, people arguing the merits of them versus not having them. Especially if you choose to include things such as pre-order DLC. Then what is next...which games have crappy online servers?

You have no idea what you've started!!! CHAOS!!!!

But seriously...not a deal. Informational, yes.[/QUOTE]
None of the bolded is to be discussed in this thread, that IS for gaming forums. How is having the knowledge to not pay for a used game and then an online pass and spending more than just getting the new game not saving money? Not a deal in the sense of a sale or clearance, per se, but saving money nonetheless. Is my introduction to the thread that vague?

[quote name='DeathDream']Geez, thanks Kraft. Was tempted to pick up Mortal Kombat used. Now I know better.[/QUOTE]
Glad to see somebody helped by this thread already.

[quote name='skubish']Not a deal-->1 star![/QUOTE]
The quote above means YOU get ones star. Thanks for contributing so much.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']^^^^ Longest post evarrrr!!!! ^^^^[/QUOTE]Yeah, sorry about that, just so many deserving of responses. What can you do?:D

Add Batman: Arkham City to the DLC list... the catwoman parts are not available without the DLC code.

EDIT: I do like the idea of this thread. When buying used I often wonder if I'm going to miss out on something. But with more and more new games containing online/DLC codes, this may get very big...

To be honest, I didn't know F3AR had an online pass. I know to pick up a new copy instead. So, this thread has already served its purpose for me.

It seems odd to me, though, that I think about it and that there's actually been a shift where the games with online passes for multiplayer seem to outnumber those without. Of course, now single-player games are only just starting to show a shift towards online pass content. I buy almost exclusively new, but I do my research if I ever buy used, so I kind of appreciate the online passes single-player games include because its usually worthwhile content. The multiplayer online passes seem gimmicky though, like they're just trying to imitate the PC, which is dumb considering the nature of the gaming console as something to share with friends and have fun with them. But I digress...

In any case, the only two games I own with online passes are AC: Revelations and Arkham City. I think it might be worth noting that Best Buy has some copies with the Robin DLC floating around in addition to the Catwoman DLC, as well. I saw a few not two weeks ago.

i dont think the single player games that lock out DLC should be included on this list unless it's content that is already ON the disc than that's just really shitty

[quote name='ShockandAww']
Or make 2 sections, one for actual online passes and another for games like Batman/Kingdoms of Amalur. Both of those games are fully functional without the passes they just cut out single player content.[/QUOTE]
But is that content on the actual disc for those games? If so, then it is complete and utter bullshit to lock out a portion of the single player game's content just because someone opted to buy used rather than new. Although that point is moot if you buy Batman: Arkham City used from Gamestop, since they include a Catwoman code on the receipt when buying a used copy.

Also, I kinda chuckle at how many people think that since a used copy of a game doesn't include online mp access it's suddenly gimped to where it's half a game. Plenty of games have more than enough content to keep you going for hours and hours(and sometimes tens of hours if you explore in the case of open world games).

A game isn't suddenly worthless without the online component. Matter of fact, I may start going back to playing offline due to all of the idiots I've bumped into in online games. Between the 12 year olds from the burbs who think the N word is the coolest word ever to those same 12 year olds who blast the latest rap crap cranked to 11 in my ear to the people who think no one can hear them so they SCREAM into their headsets I've had almost enough of online play for one lifetime.
[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']^^^^ Longest post evarrrr!!!! ^^^^[/QUOTE]
If you've ever seen any of my very long diatribes you'd probably think that was a short post.:razz::booty:

I don't think the mods needs to do anything with this post. This is a fantastic idea. I didn't know there was DLC bundled with Driver: San Fransisco, and I was looking to pick it up used. Now I know to avoid doing so.

bread's done
Back