Games you loved with sequels you hated?

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
By sequel, I mean any sequel, not just the original.. If you liked MGS2 but hated MGS3, it still counts.. like Mario 2 but hate Mario 3? Post about it!

I personally loved Fight Night 2004, but I hate Fight Night Round 2. The camera makes me dizzy, the soundtrack sucks, and sorry, but I don't think a featherweight could survive 8 knockdowns from Evander Holyfield.

I also loved Tony Hawk's Underground, but hated Tony Hawk's Underground 2. Being other people, destroying property.. it was more like Jackass featuring Tony Hawk. It was also way too easy and extremely short.

Finally, Need for Speed Underground 2. I loved the first.. I hate the second, mainly because of the product placement. I couldn't stand to play it more than 10 or 20 minutes at a time, if that.

So what's yours?

Metroid Prime. I loved the first game, but I quickly lost interest in the sequel for whatever reason. It just wasn't as fun as the first, and didn't follow the traditional Metroid storyline. Kudos to Retro Studios for trying something new, but please make it more interesting than: "Oh no, this random planet is in danger. Activate 3 random objects to save it."

Super Mario 2 = WORST MARIO EVAR! Well... except for Super Mario Sunshine :evil:

Mega Man X7.... need I say more?

One could rant in many paragraphs about the Mega Man series on this thread...

I liked Chrono Trigger, and although Chrono Cross was a good game, I thought it sucked as a "sequel" per say. It's almost nothing more than a side story in my book.

Suikoden I and II are incredible, but I actually didn't like III. Granted I couldn't stand playing it for more than 3 hours, it didn't suck me in nearly as much as the previous 2 did.

Finally, Worms 3d. Worms Armageddon and World Party have to be some of the greatest online multiplayer games ever IMO. When it went to 3d, it went the way of the crapper.

I thought the first 3 Tony Hawks were great but I hated 4. Also I loved Virtua Fighter 2 but didn't like 3 as much.

[quote name='msdmoney']Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, "baditude" killed the game for me, it had none of the charm of the original.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Also, I didn't much care for Outlaw Golf 2. Dave Attell gets on your nerves really fast, plus the fact that the cutscenes aren't as funny/ tittilating.

Any Tony Hawk after Tony Halk 2... I played that game to death and all the other games in the series were the same and incredibly easy, comparitivly.

Final Fantasy X-2... I loved Final Fantasy X and was so psyched for a sequel... The three chic idea mixed with dress spheres ruined the game for me. Plus the last boss was pretty easy and you had to "unlock three endings" wtf?

A lot of times I play the sequel to a game first so I can't think of any others ;)

Parasite Eve. I loved the first game, and when I saw the second on the store shelves I just had to have it. Soon as I played it, I realized it was just a lame Resident Evil clone and played little like the first Parasite Eve, nor did I have that ambiance that I loved. It felt so much like an quick cash in.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Dark Cloud, Vandel Hearts and Grandia were all very good but the sequels were terrible.[/QUOTE]
I actually think Vandal Hearts 2 is one of the best SRPGs ever to each his own I guess

Toejam and earl 2, took everything that was awesome about toejam and earl and did nothing with it. They made it into a 2d platformer from an isometric view! What the hell were they thinking?

Toe Jam & Earl 2 was a great game, you're crazy.

I hated Max Payne 2. I played the first one almost non-stop until I finished it, then waited a long time for a sequel that made no improvements in the controls, the tearing, or the framerate whatsoever. I never played it on the PC, just the Ps2 so maybe that has something to do with it.

Red faction was also an addictive game for me but I got bored with II really fast. It was a great improvement in the graphics department but something didn't 'hook' me like the first one did.

I think the storylines kept my attention in both these games, wondering what was going to happen next, just like a movie. By the time the second ones rolled up the story got old, hackneyed, or just plain too stupid for me to suspend disbelief and enjoy them.

Wow, I disagree with so many of these.

I loved Max Payne 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Warrior Within, Super Mario 2, and Metroid Prime 2. Were they as good as their respective originals? No (save for Max Payne 2). Were they still good? Yes.

Metroid Prime 2 is just a glorified expansion pack.

Mario Sunshine is awesome.

X7 and X8 suck.

Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger.

Jak 3 is not as good as Jak 2.

PoP: WW just didn't feel the same to me lacked the polish and soul of the original. I dunno if this counts but I really like Devil may Cry 3 but hate the first 2. FFTA left a really bad taste in my mouth it was like they took everything I liked about FFT and dumbed it down and made it slow paced and boring.

Zelda WW ... Majora's Mask was not that great, but WW was just horrible.

I don't like the new Mega Man games at all. The bosses are way too forgetful. I wish they would bring back some of the old bosses and revamp them or something. I really don't like the direction Capcom has gone with this series. Mega Man 5 & 6 was crappy to me back in the day too ... I don't even recall part 7 it was so forgetful.

I didn't like NFS IV High Stakes as much as part III. There are probably a ton of other ones, but I could go on forever.

Loved MGS 1, didn't like MGS 2 as much.

Liked the THPS games better than THUG, and THUG better than THUG 2.

Enjoyed Sonic Adventure more than SA 2.

Enjoyed DOA 2 DC/PS2 more than DOA 3.

Wow some of these were really surprising. Pandora Tomorrow was WAY better than the first Splinter Cell, and that's before you factor in the multiplayer.

And Max Payne 2? Ahh that game blew the first one away, I thought.

My pick goes to Final Fantasy 8. Holy crap, what a mess of a game that was. Great CG, great ending (not the ending, per se, but the little video you see during the credits) but the game was just bad. Siphon magic from enemies before you can use it! Boring sci-fi setting! Cheesy stupid characters! Oh look, we were all together in the orphanage! BLAH!

FFIX thankfully returned the series to its former glory. And 10, I haven't touched it because it looked so much like FF8...

There are many games that didn't live up to their predecessors, but this is about HATRED...

I hate the newest Tenchu game. The first and third rock, but the latest is so phoned in.

I also hate Dead to Rights II. I was really into the original, and thought DTR II had lots of potential, but it all went down the shitter somehow.

[quote name='bmulligan']I hated Max Payne 2. I played the first one almost non-stop until I finished it, then waited a long time for a sequel that made no improvements in the controls, the tearing, or the framerate whatsoever. I never played it on the PC, just the Ps2 so maybe that has something to do with it.[/quote]

Definately. Play it on the PC, then look at some mods you can download for it. The Matrix mods are awesome, and the first one has some Star Wars mods, where you play as Luke with the lightsaber. The mod community for Max Payne 2 makes it easily worth the purchase on PC.

I also did not like Majora's Mask (due to the time) and WindWaker.. but I loved Ocarina of Time. I still play it. I also hate Sonic Adventure 2, but love the first.

I hate the newest Tenchu game. The first and third rock, but the latest is so phoned in.

I also hate Dead to Rights II. I was really into the original, and thought DTR II had lots of potential, but it all went down the shitter somehow.

I never played the third, how was it? I loved the first Tenchu. I imported the soundtrack. I never understood why they even MADE a Dead to Rights II. I talked with the employees of Rhino and GameCrazy the other day and neither had sold a copy yet.

[quote name='opportunity777']Zelda WW ... Majora's Mask was not that great, but WW was just horrible.

I don't like the new Mega Man games at all. The bosses are way too forgetful. I wish they would bring back some of the old bosses and revamp them or something. I really don't like the direction Capcom has gone with this series. Mega Man 5 & 6 was crappy to me back in the day too ... I don't even recall part 7 it was so forgetful.

I didn't like NFS IV High Stakes as much as part III. There are probably a ton of other ones, but I could go on forever.[/QUOTE]

Someone suffers from nostalgia. I'm sorry, but the old bosses were just as unoriginal. Only the first 3 games in the original and X series had mildly ok bosses.

But you can't tell me that you long for the days of Dust Man, Centaur Man, and Yamato Man.

I liked FFX and FFX2, and VH and VH2. They were different, certainly. VH2 seemed a little easier than VH once you learned the trick about the 'move at the same time' thing, and the equipment changing method could have been a lot more intuitive/userfriendly.

For me it's Heroes of Might and Magic IV. LOVED HoMM III, spent more hours than I can count playing it. HoMM IV was sadly disappointing. For one thing, they changed the required resolution so that you either couldn't see everything/all the controls, or you had to squint to see everything. Then they let the heroes participate directly in combat, which is totally new ground. I just didn't get a good 'vibe' from the game. I did like the caravan, that was nice.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II comes to mind on the console front. I didn't hate it, but it seemed like I was playing the exact same game, and it made a few changes from BGDA that I didn't like.

[quote name='Kayden']Super Mario 2 = WORST MARIO EVAR! Well... except for Super Mario Sunshine :evil:[/QUOTE]

In case anyone is wondering, the reason that Mario 2 is so different from the rest of the series is that it wasn't really a Mario game. If I remember correctly, here's the story behind it: In Japan, Mario 2 is what was released on Mario All-Stars as The Lost Levels. It was deemed to difficult for American audiences, so they took a Japanese game named Doki Doki Panic, put Mario, Luigi, the Princess, and Toad, into it, and released it as Mario 2 (I think the mushroom power-up may have been added as well). The gameplay was pretty much unchanged from Doki Doki Panic, obviously; this explains why it's so different. Also, because the enemies weren't changed, you don't see Bowser or any of the traditional enemies from the Mario universe. Some of the enemies from that game have since come to be a part of the Mario universe (Shy Guy and Birdo, for example). In any case, the reason that it's so different is that it's really Doki Doki Panic.

First off, I really liked Mario Sunshine . . . improved on the original in many respects. Great level design and really nice use of the vertical dimension.

Wind Waker was awesome but was definitely a different game, so tastes may vary.

Mario 2 just dosen't count, it isn't (or wasn't) a Mario game . . . Nintendo inserted Mario into it.

I thought Banjo Tooie really was a let down . . . just more of the same. Likewise with DK 64 . . . Rare really went into the crapper.

BTW, If anyone wants a copy of Goldeneye 64 . . . PM me for a trade.

Bushido Blade 2. Followed the popular sequel pattern of more is better but it removed a lot of the nice touches from the first like the linked arenas and damagable surroundings...

When I got Zelda; Ocarina of Time for Christmas in 1998, I played it for many hours every day for 5 days til I beat it. It became my favorite game of all time, and I had never owned a Zelda title, although I had played the NES games back in the day.

I got Majora's Mask when it came out, and I hated it. It just sucked, in my opinion. However, that time period coincided with me losing interest in games, so I'm planning on giving MM anotehr shot. My N64 collection was stolen, but I have the Zelda Collection for the Cube.

Shit, that reminds me- I still haven't even OPENED the Master Quest dic, which I got before even owning a GameCube.

I really liked what I played of Wind Waker. It reminded me a lot of Ocarina as far as gameplay and feel. I need to buy and complete that one as well before the next Zelda is released.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']In case anyone is wondering, the reason that Mario 2 is so different from the rest of the series is that it wasn't really a Mario game. If I remember correctly, here's the story behind it: In Japan, Mario 2 is what was released on Mario All-Stars as The Lost Levels. It was deemed to difficult for American audiences, so they took a Japanese game named Doki Doki Panic, put Mario, Luigi, the Princess, and Toad, into it, and released it as Mario 2 (I think the mushroom power-up may have been added as well). The gameplay was pretty much unchanged from Doki Doki Panic, obviously; this explains why it's so different. Also, because the enemies weren't changed, you don't see Bowser or any of the traditional enemies from the Mario universe. Some of the enemies from that game have since come to be a part of the Mario universe (Shy Guy and Birdo, for example). In any case, the reason that it's so different is that it's really Doki Doki Panic.[/QUOTE]

http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/smb2_ddp.shtml

Wow, I never knew that. It's freaky to see how they changed it into a mario game. I like Mario 2 btw.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Metroid Prime 2 is just a glorified expansion pack.

Mario Sunshine is awesome.

X7 and X8 suck.

Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger.

Jak 3 is not as good as Jak 2.[/QUOTE]

No megaman X game sucks, some are just better than others, X7 is not as good as X8 and X8 is a teriffic game that bypasses X6 and X5 easily in gameplay and replay value....X7 bypasses nothing.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Dark Cloud, Vandel Hearts and Grandia were all very good but the sequels were terrible.[/QUOTE]

I hope to god you're kidding.

I thought the sequels to all those games were better than the originals...but that's just me.

Thinking about it, nothing comes to my mind that wasn't mentioned before like DMC2 and other such 'video game tragedies' but I didn't like Majora's Mask compared to ocarina of time.

And editing Doki Doki Panic and calling it SMB2 for the NES was...just plain wrong.

Sweet, the perfect excuse for me to rant about the glories of old-school! The following games were disappointments to me:

Metal Gear Solid for PS1
Final Fantasy 7 and 8 (I never played any after these two, so I can't lump those in)
Tecmo Super Bowl for SNES - How could it be SO awesome on NES and so bad on SNES?
Smash Brothers Melee - Still a great game, but they "adjusted" the physics some and then utterly desecrated my favorite character to the point that they should have just made a new character and left him out of the game (Fox). It's still a great game, but I was increcibly disappointed that all the time I had put into playing or I guess you could say "practicing" on the 64 was wasted when the sequel came out.

I know I'm picking on some of the gaming world's "all-time favorites" out there, but to me these games fell painfully short of the hype. I bought a Playstation specifically for FF7 and Metal Gear Solid, and each of them felt, to me, like I was watching a movie where periodically I had to push bottons to keep the movie going. I never really felt like I was part of the game or made a connection with the game as I had with their predecessors.

Tony Hawk's Underground vs. Tony Hawk's Underground 2. That game would have been perfectly fine if it did not contain Bam Margera. I-HATE-BAM-MARGERA. I was indifferent to him and his show before, but when he starts crapping up my video games, the sh*t has hit the fan.

Crono Trigger is also much better than Crono Cross.

Also Halo (I hear it coming) was much better than the second one. I simply think that Halo 2... straight sucks.:booty: It was obviously rushed even though they kept pushing the date back. It's just like that DBZ game (Sagas). Someone just took a dump in the case and passed it off as another installment in the series. I'm certainly not looking forward to playing through six more Halos just to save the Goddamn Earth from floating rings in space. Screw that.

King of Fighters post '98. 99 eventually grew on me, as well as 2003 but this series always seemed to 'mix up the gameplay' every year more than improve upon it.

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Everything was too dumb down for my tastes and the storyline felt like a by the numbers rehash of the previous games in the series plus Final Fantasy Tactics. Plus it was missing the 'Warren Report' which allowed you to view character profiles and revist story scenes. I probablly would have cared more about the story if they were there.

Strider 2
This game was practically lauded as the second coming by many 2D platforming fans and as a huge fan of the original I was incrediblly dissapointed. The levels were horribly basic and boss encounters barely required any skill, outside of the last boss.
It's still a decent game, just nowhere near the brilliance of the original.

Contra: Shattered Solider
Way too much pattern memorization to the point where it just wasn't fun.

Battlemaniacs
The original Battletoads owned. Fact.
But this sequel felt like a remake which actually had fewer levels and poor level design. I gave up at the Snake Pits, couldn't take it anymore. :bomb:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds - they really cocked this one up. I really enjoyed the first but the fake Willow voice in the second ruins it (along with the horrible camera work and laughable multiplayer). That being said, the fake Buffy voice does a great job in both.

[quote name='dtcarson']I liked FFX and FFX2, and VH and VH2. They were different, certainly. VH2 seemed a little easier than VH once you learned the trick about the 'move at the same time' thing, and the equipment changing method could have been a lot more intuitive/userfriendly.

.[/QUOTE]

I actually thought VH1 was easier. Because i leveled up one of my characters in such a way that he had some kind of spell that did damage to almost everybody on the board.

More recently, PoPWW just didn't feel right with the heavy metal soundtrack and "angry" prince. I loved Sands of Time, but Warrior Within felt too pressured...

DKC3 wasn't as good as DKC2 was, but it was still an enjoyable game.

Chrono Cross sucked massively as a sequel to Chrono Trigger, but was an awesome game if you took it as itself. Combat and music were probably among the best of any PSX RPG (IMO).

I could go on and on about games that weren't as good as the games that preceded them, but Warrior Within was the only time I was ever actually turned off by a sequel to a game I enjoyed. Usually, if you take the sequel on it's own merits and don't compare it to the original too much, you'll still find fun.

[quote name='Scorch']By sequel, I mean any sequel, not just the original.. If you liked MGS2 but hated MGS3, it still counts.. like Mario 2 but hate Mario 3? Post about it!

I personally loved Fight Night 2004, but I hate Fight Night Round 2. The camera makes me dizzy, the soundtrack sucks, and sorry, but I don't think a featherweight could survive 8 knockdowns from Evander Holyfield.

I also loved Tony Hawk's Underground, but hated Tony Hawk's Underground 2. Being other people, destroying property.. it was more like Jackass featuring Tony Hawk. It was also way too easy and extremely short.

Finally, Need for Speed Underground 2. I loved the first.. I hate the second, mainly because of the product placement. I couldn't stand to play it more than 10 or 20 minutes at a time, if that.

So what's yours?[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on Fight Night 2004 vs Round 2.

Another thing I hated about Round 2 was the presentation of the game....

In FN2004 you really felt like you were working up into the ranks of greatness. You got a feeling of completion, and you gave a shit about your fighter....

In round 2, it feels like the top of the game isnt much different from being a poor slubb....and the music is fucking horrible. Also, training doesnt really feel like training....it feels cheap and too much like you're the russian in Rocky IV....you're no longer the underdog...you can train in a space-age training center. YAY. Plus, the haymakers are ridiculous...I've gone online and knocked people out 5 times in the first round....WTF.

Round 2 feels like they wanted to make it easier for all the idiots who were expecting a fast and furious punching game and not a thinking gentlemen's sport.

Round 2 is to FN2004 = as watching Boxing on TV and watching it live. A different world.

[quote name='Kayden']Pandora Tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

Pandora Tomorrow was a fucking joke.... I bought it for my PC and it just wouldnt work...no error codes, no explainations...just wouldnt work.

I found out later it was because I had a "Virtual Drive"

Then, I found that the multiplayer would work once and then I would have to exit the whole game and come back...fucking nightmare.

Then I found that people were making their own patches to be able to play the fucking game...Arrrg! So I used those and had no issues...

Then the game had shitloads of spelling errors....completely unprofessional....not to mention the single-player mode was completely shitty.

All in all, it made it where I will never buy an Ubi Soft game ever again for the PC and I hate Splinter Cell altogether now...I tried to play the third and it looked great...but I just didnt care anymore....

The mulitplayer was cool, but the retarded kids killed that for me as well.

I thought this was supposed to be about sequels you hate not just sequels that weren't as good as the original... anyway, I absolutely hated Starfox Adventures even though I'm not really sure it was a sequel to anything. It might be in my all time top 10 of most hated games. God dammit I hate that fucking piece of shit game. Thanks a lot OP - now I'm pissed just thinking about it...

bread's done
Back