GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

Any reason to get dock? Gonna use for xbmc mostly. Been using mouse to navigate anyways
I used to use a dock for ethernet, extra USB ports, and the ability to turn the thing off with the press of a button (otherwise, you have to unplug it when not using a dock).

The fan coming on was annoyinng and loud. It worked great though, especially with ethernet.

However, I moved recently and went with the dongle only, and wireless (powered from the AC cord). I never turn it off, run 720P videos in XBMC all the time and it works perfectly. No problems with connections and/or overheating.

I feel like the dock really isn't necessary to be honest.

I used to use a dock for ethernet, extra USB ports, and the ability to turn the thing off with the press of a button (otherwise, you have to unplug it when not using a dock).

The fan coming on was annoyinng and loud. It worked great though, especially with ethernet.

However, I moved recently and went with the dongle only, and wireless (powered from the AC cord). I never turn it off, run 720P videos in XBMC all the time and it works perfectly. No problems with connections and/or overheating.

I feel like the dock really isn't necessary to be honest.
How did you get the CFW to recognize Ethernet? All I saw in the settings was wifi. Also, can you disable the default android keyboard popping up when a text box is clicked in?

I really dont think anyone is buying this to play actual android games on. Emulation and streaming media are where this thing is appealing.

But to counter your point is there any ios device you can even get for under $20?
No, there isn't, I simply wanted to believe I might be missing out on something over on the Android side ... grass is greener syndrome I suppose. Figured there might be one or two must-have exclusives, but I'm satisfied with the computer-on-a-stick novelty factor this has ;)

No, there isn't, I simply wanted to believe I might be missing out on something over on the Android side ... grass is greener syndrome I suppose. Figured there might be one or two must-have exclusives, but I'm satisfied with the computer-on-a-stick novelty factor this has ;)
Unfortunately i dont think Android has anything that great... but i also feel the same abouy ios. I think its tough to get a great gaming experience on a mobile platform but the classic emulation on this makes it more than worth it. I already have plex running in just about every room in my house on different devices so this is strictly for emulation for me. Fortunately my fiance really only plays retro games so she should enjoy this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get the CFW to recognize Ethernet? All I saw in the settings was wifi. Also, can you disable the default android keyboard popping up when a text box is clicked in?
I believe there was a fix on that thread where the custom firmware was, no?

If not, I honestly don't recall :whistle2:(

As for the keyboard, I believe you can go into settings in Android and select your input device....

I believe there was a fix on that thread where the custom firmware was, no?

If not, I honestly don't recall :whistle2:(

As for the keyboard, I believe you can go into settings in Android and select your input device....
There are keyboards you can enable/disable, but the default one is not clickable. Also, you used the 1.4 in that thread? Any issues with it?

I believe mine is 1.4, yes. It works great for me.

It's been about 2 months since I've done it...I'm not totally sure how to remove the keyboard and/or pointer.

It's much like anything else, look through the menus and try some settings (also Google helps :))

Are you familiar with Android at all?

If you guys want I could make an APK pack of all of the best emulators. Though I would still recommend finding them through the Play Store so as that you will always have the latest version.
That would be great! Hackinformer had a pack some of the emulators were okay

I picked up my reserved dock tonight, and apparently some dipshit (sorry if he's a CAG) was pretty persistent with trying to get the girl at GS to sell it to him.  From what she said, he didn't seem to grasp the concept of "on hold for someone else until tomorrow night."

Now to wait until morning to grab the Gamestick from another GS.

Okay, one more dumb question.

After the CFW, will I still be able to play Android games?

I don't own an Android device, but I know Amazon occasionally offers free games to download, and Five Nights at Freddy's is one of them, so....

Definitly download mxplayer.  Blows the video app from vanilla and you can have videos look full wide screen at the sides and can change between hardware/soft enco. 

You want good wifi then add the hdmi extender or use the dock. Speaking of the dock it has a much higher power adapter so I think the dock is a good thing to own for $5 if you can find one. 

Few questions:

1) so I don't know if it's because the battery is low, but how do you sync the controller to it? What buttons do I press? Is not showing in the bt settings page. 

2) how do you turn it off? I downloaded a software that does shutdown and the screen just got stuck and had to pull it off. 

Maybe that is in the dock now I can just press power or something.  

Kinda want to get one, but it looks like a lot of people in the thread are getting faulty Gamesticks...
Reminds me I should try my gamestick instead of it just sitting in the box, unopened. My ouya on the other hand, yeah, still need to try that thing too. Enough TV's around the house will make these go to use (*coughincludingfiretvstickcough*).

How is this compared to Ouya? I have an Ouya but the Wifi is really really bad on it. Also there seems to be some controller lag

Is the console factory sealed with a hologram sticker like the dock is?  Both systems I got had  the clear circle sticker on them.  Both Gamestops told me they were factory sealed, but after I opened them it was clear that they weren't.

ARGH... why did I buy this when I have the Ouya , my WD TVLIVE and Fire TV stick???!??!?
I asked myself the same thing (stares at Nvidia Shield Portable and Ouya). I've always hoarded systems so one more for $20 isn't really going to make that much of a difference.

Definitly download mxplayer. Blows the video app from vanilla and you can have videos look full wide screen at the sides and can change between hardware/soft enco.

You want good wifi then add the hdmi extender or use the dock. Speaking of the dock it has a much higher power adapter so I think the dock is a good thing to own for $5 if you can find one.
Few questions:
1) so I don't know if it's because the battery is low, but how do you sync the controller to it? What buttons do I press? Is not showing in the bt settings page.
2) how do you turn it off? I downloaded a software that does shutdown and the screen just got stuck and had to pull it off.
Maybe that is in the dock now I can just press power or something.
1 there is a tiny button the back labeled B/T pair I think. You will need a paper clip to press it.

2 if you have the dock just hold in the power button for about 5 seconds. Be aware this will stop the dock from charging the controller.

since i got this thing up and running with not 1 hiccup. im wondering if i can hookup some backpack straps to my flat-screen and be the guy with the world's most obnoxious 50 inch tablet, thats powered by a car battery. this IS possible now.

I picked up the last one in my area.  This looked like a fun little project getting it up and running with a full android os.

I was hoping to pick up a dock as well since I have an ethernet switch hidden behind my tv.  Oh well, I have a router in the room I'm using as an access point.

Is the console factory sealed with a hologram sticker like the dock is? Both systems I got had the clear circle sticker on them. Both Gamestops told me they were factory sealed, but after I opened them it was clear that they weren't.
both my sticks had the circle seal and the dock did have the holo sticker, i think the sticks just had a lot of that felt debris and the yellowish color make them look not new but prob are.

I got everything up and running smoothly (which I'm rather proud of - I'm pretty tech-savvy, but I'm also WAY behind the times; I'm still using a computer that I UPGRADED to XP). First thing I downloaded was MX Player and Rocket Player; I'm working on emulators.

Thanks again, OP. This thing is a godsend.

I believe mine is 1.4, yes. It works great for me.

It's been about 2 months since I've done it...I'm not totally sure how to remove the keyboard and/or pointer.

It's much like anything else, look through the menus and try some settings (also Google helps :))

Are you familiar with Android at all?
I am, yes. I was just curious what you did. I'm running the firmware from the YouTube link and its 1.3, and the android on screen keyboard option in settings is greyed out and not adjustable like the other keyboard options available. I'll wipe and flash 1.4 when I get a micro sd tomorrow and see if that makes the difference.

I am, yes. I was just curious what you did. I'm running the firmware from the YouTube link and its 1.3, and the android on screen keyboard option in settings is greyed out and not adjustable like the other keyboard options available. I'll wipe and flash 1.4 when I get a micro sd tomorrow and see if that makes the difference.
If you want to get ethernet working, put this on your micro sd card and flash it through the recovery menu like you did with the cfw as an update. It will then boot up and a dialog menu will pop up asking if you want to use wifi or ethernet.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95747613655043085

Picked up the one remaining dock near my house this evening. I might pick up one spare controller at GameStop later this week. Can't wait until my GS system arrives next week!

Actually, is it worth getting the spare controller at all? I have a couple of DS3 controllers already.

Picked up the one remaining dock near my house this evening. I might pick up one spare controller at GameStop later this week. Can't wait until my GS system arrives next week!

Actually, is it worth getting the spare controller at all? I have a couple of DS3 controllers already.
Ehh... I would wait until you get the first one to decide that for yourself. I'm not a fan at all of the included controller.

My friend asked me about my plans this weekend.

I said I'm probably going to be getting my Gamestick new firmware.

That weirdo thought I meant something completely different.

tumblr_inline_n0drwn3XbP1r2pfmn.gif

I'll give this thing a shot for emulation purposes. Never played with emulators before, so it'll be interesting to see if I can find the older games I want to play.

Got this bad boy up and running :) if you guys remember or love this game, I give you CAGS Kudos!

[attachment=11126:IMAG0403_1.jpg]

Ok, just gotta say, found Wayward Souls on sale on the Amazon app store ... normally it's $6.99 and never goes on sale on iOS. Sale price on Amazon is $3.99 and it works perfectly with the controller and on a big screen it's pretty amazing!

My controller may be dead. It had charged and all dots we're blinking steady, now no blonking usung the dock anymore.

EDIT:
USB gives the steady blinking, I just can't get it to power on for some reason.

EDIT 2; I quit. It turns on when plugged in lol. I'll leave it charging longer and pair it for SNES games.

So I'm having a little trouble getting Genesis and other video add ons to install inside the XBMC app. Sometimes it will download, get to 99% and stop. Other times it stays at 0% and then stops trying. What am I missing here? Wanted to use this as an emulator and with XBMC.

Edit: Rebooted the device and having the same issues. Says "downloading 0%" then gives up in about 30 seconds. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the WiFi, as apps will download from the Play store.

If you guys want I could make an APK pack of all of the best emulators. Though I would still recommend finding them through the Play Store so as that you will always have the latest version.
this would be greatly appreciated, but regardless thank you for all the help in this thread!

1 there is a tiny button the back labeled B/T pair I think. You will need a paper clip to press it.

2 if you have the dock just hold in the power button for about 5 seconds. Be aware this will stop the dock from charging the controller.
1 didn't work.

2 5sec turned off the stick

idk what I'm doing wrong! Maybe its a faulty controller.

I just remembered that I also buy most of the Humble Bundle Android deals when they come up. Looking forward to trying to get the HB app on the stick and download some of my purchases :D

I cracked and bought one. I don't really have a use for it now as I have plenty of devices that can run emulators and whatnot, but maybe I'll use it to make a mame cabinet.

bread's done
Back