GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

RIP my Gamestick, Feb. 6 - July 14; seems to be a fried GPU or something similar. If it boots past the GameStick screen it only last a few seconds before it freezes up and the screen freaks out. With the Fire TV Stick on sale for $25 tomorrow with very similar specs I might as well just pick up one of those; all I really lose is a microSD slot and probably support for the GameStick controller.

RIP my Gamestick, Feb. 6 - July 14; seems to be a fried GPU or something similar. If it boots past the GameStick screen it only last a few seconds before it freezes up and the screen freaks out. With the Fire TV Stick on sale for $25 tomorrow with very similar specs I might as well just pick up one of those; all I really lose is a microSD slot and probably support for the GameStick controller.
Where you using the dock?

speaking of dock, since i FINALLY got mine last weekend (brother picked it up for me in Feb) i wonder if anyone has placed a naked gamestick (no casing) inside the dock?

speaking of dock, since i FINALLY got mine last weekend (brother picked it up for me in Feb) i wonder if anyone has placed a naked gamestick (no casing) inside the dock?
Might be difficult to line up the mini/micro(?) USB port without the case on it... as the dock slides into it.

"Android 4.2 is now the minimal supported version for Kodi to run on Android platform." Is there any way to update android on the custom firmware?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe... Probably no one reads here anymore but
I did the Ethernet img uodate while still inside the dock.
I used root manager to boot to recovery then in there I installed it using the ext sd card from the dock. Then rebooted and finished the Ethernet install. All these being controlled w a USB wireless mouse only. I also have been rocking the fan mode since a month ago. Thanks for both tweaks!
I did try to use the speed test app but it gives me an error now that I'm using Ethernet.

Maybe... Probably no one reads here anymore but
I did the Ethernet img uodate while still inside the dock.
I used root manager to boot to recovery then in there I installed it using the ext sd card from the dock. Then rebooted and finished the Ethernet install. All these being controlled w a USB wireless mouse only. I also have been rocking the fan mode since a month ago. Thanks for both tweaks!
I did try to use the speed test app but it gives me an error now that I'm using Ethernet.
I do! Still rocking a Gamestick (watched the NHL rookie tournament on it last weekend!) on every TV in the house! What is this "fan mode" you speak of? Thanks for the heads up on the Root Manager/Recovery boot... I still have one Gamestick w/o the Ethernet enabled in a dock that I never got around to taking out to fix it... that should come in handy!

I do! Still rocking a Gamestick (watched the NHL rookie tournament on it last weekend!) on every TV in the house! What is this "fan mode" you speak of? Thanks for the heads up on the Root Manager/Recovery boot... I still have one Gamestick w/o the Ethernet enabled in a dock that I never got around to taking out to fix it... that should come in handy!
Great, glad I posted it then! Is great if you wan t load new fwd or anything else as well w/out fighting w the buttons of the stick.

Sorry, fan mod! autocorrect...
Anyways, its in page 42 or something like that of this thread, its a simple 2 point solder, you basically cut the red and black power cable from the fan and instead of having it plugged directly into th board for when the sensors kick and it starts making a lot of noise, then instead of that you cut them and put them into the power solder of th eboard itself, so the fan is running at a low speed that does't make too much noise, almost none, yet its constantly on and giving fresh air to the stick. Pretty simple mod as long as you have a cheap soldering gun.

Don't know if this is common, but today I hooked my external hard drive to the dock and it wouldn't work. I turned it off and back on.. and everything was erased from the stick, minus the Android firmware. But it won't let me install any apps, saying there is no available space. Guess I'll have to go back to the OP to try to set things up again.

Ah ha! Fan mod! Thanks. Might check into it... BTW, do you have a link to that Root Manager? I thought I found it on Google Play, but it downloaded some "Root Explorer" instead... which is definitely not what I was looking for.

So I don't really feel like digging through the thread to see if this has been answered but I went to boot up my gamestick today after a long hiatus (think since the big ten basketball tournament) to watch Monday Night Football and nothing doing. Sports Devil wouldn't load any web requests. So I tried Genesis and it wouldn't do anything. Can anyone help me out with what I need to do to get things going again?

So I don't really feel like digging through the thread to see if this has been answered but I went to boot up my gamestick today after a long hiatus (think since the big ten basketball tournament) to watch Monday Night Football and nothing doing. Sports Devil wouldn't load any web requests. So I tried Genesis and it wouldn't do anything. Can anyone help me out with what I need to do to get things going again?
Not sure, but you might just need to be patient and let Kodi/XBMC/SPMC etc... update all it's "plug-ins" and such before you start to use it. Might take awhile if you haven't used it in a long time. I know when I start it up on a system that I haven't used in awhile I get all sorts of pop-ups at the bottom right hand corner telling me it is updating this and that... otherwise you may need to update your version of Kodi/XBMC/SPMC etc... to the latest version for some "plug-ins" to continue working? Obviously try the first method before re-installing.

does anyone know how to get kodi to load all the data and stuff to a sd card on the dock ?
Not sure if it works on the Gamestick, but I've used https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount Folder Mount to mirror/sync certain Apps folders to External SD cards on my Rooted Android Phones with no problem. I assume you could use it on Gamestick too... since it is essentially "Rooted", no? I will have to try it out later, as I've had trouble with the limited space and not being able to move the "Memory Card" folder of PPSSPP before.

Ok so I feel like half an idiot. It never connected to my phone's hotspot. An authentication error. Can't seem to solve it no matter what I do. Common fixes on the net are airplane mode which doesn't seem to be an option and enabling wps which I cannot do through foxfi

Just a heads up on the XBMC/Kodi/SPMC etc... make sure your Gamestick has enough free space to stream videos... if your Gamestick is full... streams won't start.

do you know how to clear up space ? like what folder am I looking for. Thats kinda why I wanted to know if could have the stream load up to the sd card in the dock.
If you go to your Settings, there should be something like "Storage" listed and you can see how much free space is available on your Internal Drive & SD Card (which is part of the internal...) You probably need a few hundred mb free to stream... I was able to uninstall a few Apps that I wasn't using to free up space on mine. Not sure what Folder Kodi/XBMC/SPMC uses sorry.

Looks like this thread is finally dead? Just powered up my Gamestick last night instead of my Fire TV Stick to see if I could get the new NHL TV App working, because it won't work sideloaded on the Fire TV Stick because it lacks "Google Services" which are required... boo! So I figured I'd try it on the Gamestick, but sadly it won't work there either as it requires a newer version of Android because the .apk errors out with "can't parse". Boo! Also can't seem to update to latest Kodi on Gamestick... anyone know if there is a version that will work? Went back to Fire TV Stick w/ latest Kodi & NHL TV addon. Works at least, but I was hoping my Gamestick would be my hero once again.

Looks like this thread is finally dead? Just powered up my Gamestick last night instead of my Fire TV Stick to see if I could get the new NHL TV App working, because it won't work sideloaded on the Fire TV Stick because it lacks "Google Services" which are required... boo! So I figured I'd try it on the Gamestick, but sadly it won't work there either as it requires a newer version of Android because the .apk errors out with "can't parse". Boo! Also can't seem to update to latest Kodi on Gamestick... anyone know if there is a version that will work? Went back to Fire TV Stick w/ latest Kodi & NHL TV addon. Works at least, but I was hoping my Gamestick would be my hero once again.
The last version that worked was the one discussed here on the first post of the thread (idk if it's the latest supported one though, check the kodi posts here since I don't remember exactly). Can't update more than that on it since I have mine stored away w a bunch of cables and old stuff since I'm rocking an atv4 for my kodi and movies needs, also have a new emulator on it PLUS my vita tv for my full emulator cravings.
With the way app addons move its going to be hard for you unless you download an older apk of the app and of that app lets you use an older version as well to do it legally. You could always watch other nonlegal streams but it's never the same.

Thanks. Seems like I already have the last working version of Kodi on the Gamestick then... guess it's time to make it a dedicated emulator box instead of a media box... ATV4 is Apple TV? What emulators are on the Vita TV? I know I was able to make one of my Vita TV's play games that were blocked for no reason, but I didn't know it could do anything else... any links for the Vita TV stuff?

If we were able to update the GameStick to the latest Marshmallow Android, would you guys be interested?

If we were able to update the GameStick to the latest Marshmallow Android, would you guys be interested?
I'm all for it. Thanks!
Tbh I have it stashed away ever since I bought the atv4. It's so slow vs the atv4 on kodi but if marshmallow can run properly I'm all for it since I might use it again.

Yeah, I still have one on every TV in the house... but haven't used it since NHL Gamecenter switched to NHL TV and the Kodi's on the Gamestick stopped supporting it, but I'd upgrade them to the latest Android version if I could.

Yeah, I still have one on every TV in the house... but haven't used it since NHL Gamecenter switched to NHL TV and the Kodi's on the Gamestick stopped supporting it, but I'd upgrade them to the latest Android version if I could.

I'm all for it. Thanks!
Tbh I have it stashed away ever since I bought the atv4. It's so slow vs the atv4 on kodi but if marshmallow can run properly I'm all for it since I might use it again.
I believe SPMC (a spur of Kodi) still works fine on it in its current state.

bread's done
Back